WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Technology makes us...
  • 43.2% - Dumber 589
  • 34% - Smarter 464
  • 22.9% - What does "technology" mean? Better Google it... 312
1365 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

klstrader

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klstrader

Not dumber, but definitely a lot more lazy.

PenDancer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PenDancer

it's your choice - smarter if you seek out and use the endless information and extra time you have, dumber if you don't.

jenwebb37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenwebb37
klstrader wrote:Not dumber, but definitely a lot more lazy.

"Lazier" was definitely what I wanted to select.

lboban

quality posts: 12 Private Messages lboban

I hate to add a serious comment to this poll...

Check out this week's episode of This Week in Tech (TWIT) for the discussion on how information has become a commodity. It's what you do with that information that turns it into knowledge, and occasionally wisdom. Information itself doesn't make you smarter.

melb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melb

Dumber...

Younger generations have trouble with spelling, grammar, and math. Thanks to technology....

jakeiscrazy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jakeiscrazy

Kinda torn on this. I'm greatly inclined to say smarter. If I have a car problem I google it and fix it myself. Same for computer problems, construction knowledge, I've learned about being prepared, and how to shoot better. It's allowed me to become more politically active as well as thousands of other things I've learned. I wouldn't know about them without the internet.

But yeah I can't spell and I bet I'd learn it if not everything had spell check. But hey, small price to pay for all I've learned IMO.

deadeye37

quality posts: 3 Private Messages deadeye37

Both. We get smarter because technology helps teach us a lot of things and also helps keep our minds in shape.

It makes us dumber because we don't spend time doing other practical items, like building something with your hands, or inventing things, or working.

There needs to be a balance between the 2.

akoroka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akoroka

Sort of, basic math is kind of going out the window but many kids of today can do calc and trig using a T90 better than most older generations. It's not a dumber generation it's just a different one.

melb wrote:Dumber...

Younger generations have trouble with spelling, grammar, and math. Thanks to technology....