WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Surge Protectors

We were going to tell you all about how exciting surge protectors are, but we got so tired looking at them for some reason. We're just going to take a quick nap, OK? Then we'll tell you all about it. Would you mind waking us up in an hour or so? 

happywino

quality posts: 1 Private Messages happywino

Hoping to get a little more information about the SMART Surge ES1653W-05 energy saver feature. The description says that when you turn off the appliance on the master port the energy saver ports are turned off, is Standby enough to trigger this or does the device have to be 100% off with zero draw?

I know all my devices are switched to standby when "off" and I would expect most people to be the same.

Thanks

HW

me_want_Toys

quality posts: 1 Private Messages me_want_Toys

I was interested in this 'energy saver' feature also. It looks like the sockets turn off if the standby usage is less than 1 watt. (see: http://www.smarthome.com/44071/Ideative-ES1653W-05-Smart-Surge-6-Outlet-Surge-Protector-with-RJ11-RJ45-Connectors/p.aspx .

A site with some info on 'Standby power' does have some (older) standby power measurements: http://standby.lbl.gov/standby.html

Seems like it will work for some items and probably not well for others. I bought one last week during the Woot off and was hoping to test it soon...

I hope this helps,

mwt

happywino wrote:Hoping to get a little more information about the SMART Surge ES1653W-05 energy saver feature. The description says that when you turn off the appliance on the master port the energy saver ports are turned off, is Standby enough to trigger this or does the device have to be 100% off with zero draw?

I know all my devices are switched to standby when "off" and I would expect most people to be the same.

Thanks

HW

Jnieberd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Jnieberd

These energy saver gizmos are great for combating "vampire energy" wastage all the wall wart style chargers we all use.

Have you ever noticed how warm they get even when your phone/tablet/computer/pencil sharpener/whatever isn't plugged in? That's "energy" being wasted warming the iron core of the transformer. Nowadays we have so many of these power supplies that it really adds up on your energy bill.

Smart surge protectors can tell when those transformers are really doing work (like charging your phone) and when they're just being vampires. They shut off the offending plugs until the demand is actually needed again.

The Force is like Duct Tape: It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it binds the galaxy together.

masshuum

quality posts: 19 Private Messages masshuum

One thing to remember with surge protectors is that any wire going into your device must first go through the surge protector. Otherwise, you're really not protected.

So, say you're going to use one for a Home Theater and you have cable and ethernet hooked up. If they're not going through the surge protector then your precious electronics are all compromised.

Cable lines are especially susceptible to surges. So, be mindful when choosing a model. It's not just about the power plug. Also, if you are using a three-prong adapter, be sure to ground it. That's why they have that metal loop sticking out. You're supposed to screw it into the wall plate so it gets grounded.

emeister

quality posts: 19 Private Messages emeister

I'm confused about the RJ11/RJ45/coaxial surge protection: does this mean that the surge protector acts as a bridge that can extend the internet and cable connection?

When is coaxial used? Is it only for cable? None of my electronics are using coaxial, so I'm wondering if that's something for which I should prepare.

Does someone know if the SMART Surge ES3432W 4-Outlet 1080 Joules RJ11/RJ45/DSS/Coax Surge Protector will be blocking/using both outlets?

Also, what's the significance of the joules difference (i.e. 1080J vs 2160J)?