WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Evolution Power Bank: Intelligently Designed Chargers

These days, the race for survival belongs to those whose devices are fully charged. These portable USB chargers will enable your genetic seed to triumph over that of your low-power rivals.
Evolution official site

zoey98677@yahoo.com


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zoey98677@yahoo.com

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Evolution-Power-Bank-USB-Smartphone-Charger-/140916999946?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item20cf4ec70a

jonathanluu2


quality posts: 13 Private Messages jonathanluu2

These are little tiny things! Looks like a housing, driver and usb pluggins built around a rechargeable LiIon battery. Not a bad price, for what you get considering the battery would cost $10 alone.

Capacity looks a little small. With 800mA draw on the battery, you will only get 3hrs of charging at BEST. Capacity will likely drop over time and under heavy draw (aka with a tablet instead of a small cell phone). Check your phone/tablet's mA draw to determine how much time you will get with this charger.

Ex. 2600mAh capacity, 500mA draw to charge my phone,
2600mAh/500mA= 5.2h charging time.

Watch that you dont charge/discharge this device from the wrong port! Its not exactly dummyproof with the charge/discharge ports being next to each other.

Website is a bit wonky... says 90 day warranty on the home page, but 1 year on Woot? who's right?

countdown


quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown

Ya, just not incredibly impressed with the capacity. I guess that is why they are small, but even the uNu batteries that have been on here in the past are only slightly bigger and double the capacity (5200mAh).

sjel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sjel

i have this one and it works great. a little cheaper to. It also has a flashlight, not sure why maybe for camping.

http://www.amazon.com/StrongVolt-PowerMini-Battery-Lithium-Ion-Flashlight-/dp/B009EEK8E6/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1361573256&sr=1-1

onestinkyfish


quality posts: 1 Private Messages onestinkyfish




wootbot Says

Look out, Whitey! Black power's gonna charge your devices!


What the hell?

BuffBillsFan


quality posts: 8 Private Messages BuffBillsFan

Will these stinkers put out enough juice to charge an iPad Mini? I have a few of the Belkin 3-outlet/2-USB mini surge protectors, and the USB ports there have been able to charge all of my devices (iPhone 4S, Kindle Fire, various Android phones, etc) EXCEPT the iPad Mini.

fridayrs


quality posts: 7 Private Messages fridayrs
BuffBillsFan wrote:Will these stinkers put out enough juice to charge an iPad Mini? I have a few of the Belkin 3-outlet/2-USB mini surge protectors, and the USB ports there have been able to charge all of my devices (iPhone 4S, Kindle Fire, various Android phones, etc) EXCEPT the iPad Mini.



Not to a full charge. The iPad mini is a 4490 mah battery these are 2600 mah.
Hope this helps!

mybestuser1


quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybestuser1

I was cosidering buying one to use as a backup battery/charger for my ETON FR600(Battery Hog) that I bought from woot.

Nothing is free but if you are lucky it can be inexpensive.

sarahat


quality posts: 5 Private Messages sarahat

Anyone know how long these will hold a charge (for future use)? Like, if I charge this and toss it in my bag to recharge my phone when it runs low, do I need to take it out and recharge it every few days, even if I don't use it?

Shinespark


quality posts: 33 Private Messages Shinespark
sarahat wrote:Anyone know how long these will hold a charge (for future use)? Like, if I charge this and toss it in my bag to recharge my phone when it runs low, do I need to take it out and recharge it every few days, even if I don't use it?



A good rule of thumb is spontaneous discharge of 5-10% of remaining charge per month at around room temperature. Cold storage will keep it much longer.

chaajoad


quality posts: 1 Private Messages chaajoad

Soooo ... stupid question 67 & 68: My GPS and smartphone have different size charge thingies. I like having both - will this work with both? And if my smart phone is running low on juice, can I use this as a power source as well as a charger? Say I'm stuck in an airport and want to watch a movie but the Nexus smartphone is nearly drained - would this keep me online?

wsp1811


quality posts: 1 Private Messages wsp1811

You are better off getting one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-External-Blackberry-Sensation-Thunderbolt/dp/B005VBNYDS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2Z5MXM2NN2V96&coliid=I3P99VP882337P

Since it has "free" shipping you would only be paying $5 more for over twice the charging capacity. It is rated at 5200 mha.

Shinespark


quality posts: 33 Private Messages Shinespark
chaajoad wrote:Soooo ... stupid question 67 & 68: My GPS and smartphone have different size charge thingies. I like having both - will this work with both? And if my smart phone is running low on juice, can I use this as a power source as well as a charger? Say I'm stuck in an airport and want to watch a movie but the Nexus smartphone is nearly drained - would this keep me online?



I'm not sure what you mean by "different size charging thingies" but to answer the next part you could keep your phone on so long as it's draining at a rate of less than 1/2 ampere (the rate at which this can charge).

ciabelle


quality posts: 16 Private Messages ciabelle
chaajoad wrote:Soooo ... stupid question 67 & 68: My GPS and smartphone have different size charge thingies. I like having both - will this work with both?



Provided that your GPS, smartphone, bluetooth gadget, mp3 player, back scratcher, etc. can be powered/charged via a USB cable that you can plug into a standard USB port.. e.g. the standard ports on any desktop or laptop made in the last 15 years; this device will power/charge it.

It doesn't matter whether the connector to the device to be charged is USB B, mini USB, micro USB, iPhone connector, or something even more proprietary (Hello FujiFilm cameras!) It should work.

giveitalll


quality posts: 0 Private Messages giveitalll

Not even a deal. Saw these for same price at big box electronics retailer who's name often comes with a burger.

PemberDucky


quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

giveitalll wrote:Not even a deal. Saw these for same price at big box electronics retailer who's name often comes with a burger.



we need links!


-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

gfiske1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gfiske1

Just got one in the mail yesterday from Woot. Looks nice, but will not even charge a kindle. Pretty disappointing. Does not even seem able to charge my phone. They no it is plugged in, but does not show it is charging.

neilmcanzee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages neilmcanzee

I agree with all of you and appreciate your efforts. I just want ask that i want use the battery pack for iphone for my personal iphone 5 which is latest technology. Anyone can suggest me the quality product plz?

tallmidgety


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tallmidgety

Mine won't work anymore... tried emailing their support but got no response.

I left it charging my phone and a while later I noticed it was really hot so I unplugged it and tried to turn it off. It wouldn't turn off and now it won't hold a charge at all... not sure if I did something wrong, but it seems permanently "on" now.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

helokin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages helokin
tallmidgety wrote:Mine won't work anymore... tried emailing their support but got no response.

I left it charging my phone and a while later I noticed it was really hot so I unplugged it and tried to turn it off. It wouldn't turn off and now it won't hold a charge at all... not sure if I did something wrong, but it seems permanently "on" now.

Anyone else have a similar experience?



I am having the same trouble I am unsure what is going on with it... Its disappointing...

manhandsha


quality posts: 39 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

helokin wrote:I am having the same trouble I am unsure what is going on with it... Its disappointing...



Sorry you're having trouble. These come with a 1yr Evolution warranty. I'd suggest contacting them about the issue you're having with the power bank. If you need any help along the way, don't hesitate to email Woot Member Services with your order number. support@woot.com

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

lnns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lnns

I dunno about this thing. While connected to my computer to charge (which takes a while), my computer will just randomly restart itself like two or three times in a row. (This is the second time I've tried to write this comment after my computer shut down the first.) It's very strange, and totally inconvenient. Not sure if it's really worth the annoyance. Maybe I just got a defect... at least there were two to an order.

jayjude


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayjude

Got 2, kept 1 and gave 1 away as gift. The 1 I have will not shut off (light stays on constantly) and it doesn't charge ANYTHING. Tried it with... iphone4, HTC Evo, Samasung Galaxy.

Conclusion... JUNK!

EddyGurge


quality posts: 9 Private Messages EddyGurge

Got one of these in my 10 year anniversary Big ol' Catapult. Box appears to have already been opened. I'm not holding any hopes that it will work.

/edit. It works!