a couple of good reviews (4.0 out of 5.0) on the bridge over at newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162066

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3695 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

"excellent" review over at pcmag.com on the bridge

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404970,00.asp

SinnFein

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SinnFein

Pretty solid piece... I'd be all over this if I hadn't just bought an Asus RT-AC66U.

I could really use the wireless bridge.

HankScorpio

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HankScorpio

Only problem with this deal is the power adapters. Looks like they'd cover 4 plugs on your power strip.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3695 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

8/10 on the router at trustedreviews.com

http://www.trustedreviews.com/buffalo-airstation-1750-dual-band-802-11ac-router_Peripheral_review

salockwood

quality posts: 5 Private Messages salockwood

This is a good deal, BUT, if you have portable house lines in your place, watch out for that frequency. The 2.4 range blows out phone calls and vica versa. Drives tech nuts when they are trying to trouble shoot why your network drops out...especially when they are using your phone with tech support. In a way, it is almost comical..."Um, oh here we go again. Yeah just lost all my connectivity. What? I can't hear you...."

This space for rent.

mike808

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mike808

Reviewed May 2012 over at SmallNetBuilder.com.
"Closing Thoughts

There is both good and bad news for those itching to run out and buy a draft 11ac router. The good is that, when paired with its WLI-H4-D1300 partner, the WZR-D1800H can produce almost 450 Mbps of aggregate throughput when handling multiple clients. Even better, though, its that the pair can produce around 100 Mbps of usable throughput at my weakest signal test point for a single test client!

This is more bandwidth than I've ever seen available from any other 5 GHz wireless product and may even be capable of sustaining a trouble-free 1080p HD video stream. The catch, however, are the large and long throughput dropouts that I saw in many of my tests. So unless your HD streaming player has some decent buffering, you may still be out of luck! I will have to give HD streaming a shot in the coming weeks, after I clear out some of my review backlog.

The bad news is that you'll need to spend almost $400 to run the above experiment. And the more practical bad news is that the WZR-D1800H isn't a particularly good simultaneous dual-band three-stream N ("N900") router. If that is what you're looking for, you may be better off spending about the same price and picking up an ASUS RT-N66U."

Well, except now it will only cost you about 200 bones from woot.

As for the comparison against the RT-N66U, this offers about 2/3 the performance of the Asus. And the Asus goes regularly for $160.

zippyts

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zippyts

You do realize this is true with any AP, router, or bridge right?

salockwood wrote:This is a good deal, BUT, if you have portable house lines in your place, watch out for that frequency. The 2.4 range blows out phone calls and vica versa. Drives tech nuts when they are trying to trouble shoot why your network drops out...especially when they are using your phone with tech support. In a way, it is almost comical..."Um, oh here we go again. Yeah just lost all my connectivity. What? I can't hear you...."

alextse

quality posts: 24 Private Messages alextse

Does anyone know if those routers studded with MIMO antennas sticking out everywhere like a porcupine actually get any better signal than a simple box like this?

khadaji

quality posts: 4 Private Messages khadaji

Eh. I am having concerns with a Buffalo drive of mine right now, and support hasn't returned my email in over a week, not can I get through their busy phone lines. So far, not impressed. (This is after they gave me the wrong info about a product, before I purchased it, and acted extremely rude when I wouldn't give out my home number)

MeeTwo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MeeTwo
mike808 wrote:Reviewed May 2012 over at SmallNetBuilder.com.
"Closing Thoughts

There is both good and bad news for those itching to run out and buy a draft 11ac router. The good is that, when paired with its WLI-H4-D1300 partner, the WZR-D1800H can produce almost 450 Mbps of aggregate throughput when handling multiple clients. Even better, though, its that the pair can produce around 100 Mbps of usable throughput at my weakest signal test point for a single test client!

This is more bandwidth than I've ever seen available from any other 5 GHz wireless product and may even be capable of sustaining a trouble-free 1080p HD video stream. The catch, however, are the large and long throughput dropouts that I saw in many of my tests. So unless your HD streaming player has some decent buffering, you may still be out of luck! I will have to give HD streaming a shot in the coming weeks, after I clear out some of my review backlog.

The bad news is that you'll need to spend almost $400 to run the above experiment. And the more practical bad news is that the WZR-D1800H isn't a particularly good simultaneous dual-band three-stream N ("N900") router. If that is what you're looking for, you may be better off spending about the same price and picking up an ASUS RT-N66U."

As for the comparison against the RT-N66U, this offers about 2/3 the performance of the Asus. And the Asus goes regularly for $160.

Bought the ASUS N66U about a month ago. Haven't had a dropped signal or a cold reboot yet. So far it's the best wireless router I've used and I've had plenty. Replaced an eight port wireless router Linksys 8-port DIR-632 with the ASUS. I gerry-rigged the Linksys with stronger antennas, located them ten feet away, boosted the signals with powered boosters, and got signals all over the house. The Linksys dropped signals and had to be rebooted about once every two weeks. Replaced the Linksys with the ASUS. The antennas that come with the ASUS were better than my gerry-rigged solutions. So far, so good.

unfaix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unfaix

Um, combined speed of over 1Gbps?

Wow, those advertisement guys sure knows how to get people with numbers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's either 2.4, or 5.8 not both at the same time on the same machine with the same network card.

Maybe if you have a machine with two network card, one connection to each card and then trunking it.

I could be wrong though.

conman77

quality posts: 3 Private Messages conman77

The router is NOT compatible with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware replacements.

mike74511

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mike74511

Correct, they are dumb.

unfaix wrote:Um, combined speed of over 1Gbps?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's either 2.4, or 5.8 not both at the same time on the same machine with the same network card.

Maybe if you have a machine with two network card, one connection to each card and then trunking it.

I could be wrong though.

mike808

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mike808

It is an access point. Meaning more than one client. From the viewpoint of the AP, it is over a Gbps throughput.

I would trust smallnetbuilder's review and measured testing I linked to above if you want real world performance numbers.

MikeRaphone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MikeRaphone

Yeah, it's an AC setup, but it's still too expensive. And the 2nd unit is a bridge, which means it won't pickup any wireless clients (other than the router) in it's area, only wired.

I bought two Netgear WNR2000 N refurbs for $40 total, setup them up as a base and repeater, and dramatically increased the strength of my network through my 3 floor house, with wireless strength strong everywhere. And you get very respectable throughput through the repeater wired ports too (though not as fast as gigabit).

I realize it's not exactly eggs-to-eggs comparing the equipment, but for me, a way better choice.

Just sayin'.

athoward

quality posts: 0 Private Messages athoward

Maybe a dumb question but why would I need both?

MikeRaphone

athoward wrote:Maybe a dumb question but why would I need both?

They are both used to create a remote high speed wired connection, using a wireless link (where it may be difficult to directly attach to a modem or wired router.) For stuff like HD video transfers or some data intensive games.

leftturney

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leftturney

Haven't checked in a month or two but I'm fairly certain that this is still the fastest router that money can buy.

Edit: this router has many advantages over other routers, like the fact that it has a 3x3 antenna. That is 3 wireless receiving and 3 wireless sending channels. You will not find that on any other router. If you have a lot of wireless in your house, this is the best performing router you can get.

leftturney

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leftturney

For extending to another room.. Like for example if you had two areas in your house where there are a lot of devices that need internet, you'll get better performance using a bridge vs using individual wireless on each device.

BrianV

quality posts: 7 Private Messages BrianV
salockwood wrote:This is a good deal, BUT, if you have portable house lines in your place, watch out for that frequency. The 2.4 range blows out phone calls and vica versa. Drives tech nuts when they are trying to trouble shoot why your network drops out...especially when they are using your phone with tech support. In a way, it is almost comical..."Um, oh here we go again. Yeah just lost all my connectivity. What? I can't hear you...."

That interference will happen with any device. The good thing about this product, 11ac and 5 GHz is it gives you that secondary band that wouldn't be subject to the same interference.

BrianV

The bridge allows you to connect up to four wired devices at up to 1.3 Gbps wirelessly. So imagine if you have a home theater setup or a gaming console that is in an less than ideal location, this bridge will allow all of those devices to connect at 11ac rates which is much faster than the devices native's 11g or 11n speeds.

BrianV

I could be wrong though.

Both run simultaneously on the router. It is concurrent Dual Band. So you have a 2.4 GHz band that supports 3x3 11n up to 450 Mbps. At the same time there is a 3x3 11ac network running up to 1.3 Gbps. So the total link rate throughput is 1750 Mbps. For wireless clients that don't support 11ac, they will back fall to 5 GHz 11n up to 450 Mbps. So even in an entire 11n environment, it still provides 450 + 450, or N900 which is very fast.

That is link rate though, wireless devices have a lot of protocol overhead so real transfer performance or data throughput performance is about half, but this is true of all routers using any technology.

Also, it isn't just 5.8 GHz. It runs at 5.2 GHz as well, so the 5 GHz space is really large which allows it to easily find interference free space.

BrianV

mike808 wrote:Reviewed May 2012 over at SmallNetBuilder.com.
"Closing Thoughts

Also, there have been multiple firmware updates since SmallNetBuilder.com tested this product, so the performance and stability is greatly improved.

This set of products were the world's first 11ac products, and late last year many new firmware updates were released enhancing performance.

Rantipole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rantipole
salockwood wrote:This is a good deal, BUT, if you have portable house lines in your place, watch out for that frequency. The 2.4 range blows out phone calls and vice versa.

I have 6.0 DECT phones. Isn't that another frequency, and therefore, not an issue?

fgarriel

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fgarriel

Any experience using this with a wired Windows Media Center 7 HTPC and wireless XBOX as an extender?

My experience with my current 802.11n router forced me to wire both ends (HTPC & XBOX). I'm going to put one outside this summer and this would save me the hassle of digging out a trench, laying conduit, and pulling wire.

LarryWClark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LarryWClark
MeeTwo wrote:Bought the ASUS N66U about a month ago. Haven't had a dropped signal or a cold reboot yet. So far it's the best wireless router I've used and I've had plenty. Replaced an eight port wireless router Linksys 8-port DIR-632 with the ASUS. I gerry-rigged the Linksys with stronger antennas, located them ten feet away, boosted the signals with powered boosters, and got signals all over the house. The Linksys dropped signals and had to be rebooted about once every two weeks. Replaced the Linksys with the ASUS. The antennas that come with the ASUS were better than my gerry-rigged solutions. So far, so good.

My Asus AC66U is dead as Elvis after less than a year of operation. Haven't engaged support yet, but I'm not impressed.

hast49

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hast49

Would appreciate some help with a semi-newbie question: can I run an ethernet cable from my Verizon Actiontec rounter to this Buffalo unit, turn off wifi on the Actiontec, and use the Buffalo as my router? The coverage with the Actiontec is pretty bad - - about half the house. (PS - If I did this, would I still be able to run ethernet connections from my computer and media player to the Actiontec?) Thanks

MikeRaphone

hast49 wrote:Would appreciate some help with a semi-newbie question: can I run an ethernet cable from my Verizon Actiontec rounter to this Buffalo unit, turn off wifi on the Actiontec, and use the Buffalo as my router? The coverage with the Actiontec is pretty bad - - about half the house. (PS - If I did this, would I still be able to run ethernet connections from my computer and media player to the Actiontec?) Thanks

Yes, you should be able to disable the wireless section through the web interface page and just use the Verizon unit as a modem and wired router.

apiskur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apiskur

DD-WRT is indeed available for this router:

Buffalo WZR-D1800H

The bridge device does not appear to have its own thread, though searches through the forums for WLI-H4-D1300 show this exact thread as a match, so somebody is discussing it there.

Lucien Parsons

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lucien Parsons
LarryWClark wrote:My Asus AC66U is dead as Elvis after less than a year of operation. Haven't engaged support yet, but I'm not impressed.

Elvis isn't DEAD! What are you thinking!?

kd2726

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kd2726

Check the pricing on this one before you buy - This price is a little high lowest I have seen today for this is $136.oo

Ridge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ridge
kd2726 wrote:Check the pricing on this one before you buy - This price is a little high lowest I have seen today for this is $136.oo

For both units?

jwshideler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwshideler
MeeTwo wrote:Bought the ASUS N66U about a month ago. Haven't had a dropped signal or a cold reboot yet. So far it's the best wireless router I've used and I've had plenty. Replaced an eight port wireless router Linksys 8-port DIR-632 with the ASUS. I gerry-rigged the Linksys with stronger antennas, located them ten feet away, boosted the signals with powered boosters, and got signals all over the house. The Linksys dropped signals and had to be rebooted about once every two weeks. Replaced the Linksys with the ASUS. The antennas that come with the ASUS were better than my gerry-rigged solutions. So far, so good.

Nice info, but if you indeed had a DIR-632, your references to 'Linksys' are inaccurate.

fshoemak

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fshoemak

As far as I am concerned save your money and buy a Trendnet Router and/or Bridge.

I am running 6 pc's, two panny dvrs, network storage, dvd vcr combo, and other junk off the one router.

GO TREND!

slambram

quality posts: 3 Private Messages slambram

I'm reading the bridge creates a wireless link to main router to serve *wired* clients, but does it also act as a repeater so as to serve wireless clients which are out of range of the main router, thus extending the wireless coverage of the main unit?

If yes, can more than one bridge work in conjunction with the main router to extend coverage even further?

Craig234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Craig234

Sheesh I don't know what the bridge does or what 11ac is.

I have a 'dual band router' with g and n. Seems ok used with PS3.

MikeRaphone

slambram wrote:I'm reading the bridge creates a wireless link to main router to serve *wired* clients, but does it also act as a repeater so as to serve wireless clients which are out of range of the main router, thus extending the wireless coverage of the main unit?

If yes, can more than one bridge work in conjunction with the main router to extend coverage even further?

Nope, it's a bridge only, for wired ethernet devices and will not extend your wireless network to other wireless clients (repeater function).

The only "wireless" thing about the bridge is that it "talks" wirelessly to the router, but not to any other wireless devices.

Click here:
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless/client-adapters/airstation-ac1300-4-port-gigabit-dual-band-wireless-ethernet-bridge