WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

TRENDnet Network Trend Setters

Look, we all know what happens next: TRENDnet achieves sentience, sees the human race as a scourge to the Earth, and tries to wipe us out. But until then, let's just try to enjoy the stuff they make, okay?
TRENDnet official site

Quality Posts

darkgear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkgear

Dislikes: Everything else.

There is a reason that I thew away my list TRENDnet router...and the one before that

baronrobert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baronrobert
darkgear wrote:Likes: Price

Dislikes: Everything else.

There is a reason that I thew away my list TRENDnet router...and the one before that

I've noticed that TRENDnet routers are very challenging to novices. I've had 3 TRENDnet routers and love them all. Price, reliability, and packed with features. This is a great price for this router

thestickyb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thestickyb

Price jumped on the router from $17 this morning to $23 currently. Glad I bought it earlier I guess.

morrisdl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morrisdl
thestickyb wrote:Price jumped on the router from $17 this morning to $23 currently. Glad I bought it earlier I guess.

I Saw that too. Bummed that i waited, it was not exactly what I needed and got me looking at better options. Lot less tempting at $5 more.

ikslakspm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ikslakspm

I have the model below this one (only has one antenna) and it is absolute $hite! Constant dropouts and poor coverage area. It stunk so bad, I went back to my b/g router. I doubt the 2 antennas help much. Save your $$ and find something else.

outer78

quality posts: 13 Private Messages outer78
ikslakspm wrote:I have the model below this one (only has one antenna) and it is absolute $hite! Constant dropouts and poor coverage area. It stunk so bad, I went back to my b/g router. I doubt the 2 antennas help much. Save your $$ and find something else.

I have a tp-link(TL-WR841N) that had problems every once in a while with drop outs and the need to be reset.

I would look into changing the router broadcasting channel to start (1-11) and maybe use a program that shows what all of the other routers in your area are on and try and prevent using the same.

Also it seems that sometimes routers can get a little overloaded if they are switching between broadcasting wireless N and G at the same time. I had to reset my router weekly and I believe this was the cause. I ended up setting up my old router as an access point/bridge or something and so the old router only broadcasts G while the new one is set to only broadcast N. I did this about 3 weeks ago and haven't had issues since.

That may not be your problem at all but it seems like it was mine. Just thought I would toss that out there.

My network usage is
4 N laptops
2 N tablets
1 N phone
1 N xbox 360
1 G laptop
1 G xbox 360
1 wired cell tower(sprint airave)

It was the gaming on the xbox's that seemed to crash the wireless N router before and slow everything down when they were on at the same time.

example of setup all hard wired together

Wall--modem--(wan)N(lan)--(lan)G(lan)--airave

baronrobert

outer78 wrote:I have a tp-link(TL-WR841N) that had problems every once in a while with drop outs and the need to be reset.

I would look into changing the router broadcasting channel to start (1-11) and maybe use a program that shows what all of the other routers in your area are on and try and prevent using the same.

Also it seems that sometimes routers can get a little overloaded if they are switching between broadcasting wireless N and G at the same time. I had to reset my router weekly and I believe this was the cause. I ended up setting up my old router as an access point/bridge or something and so the old router only broadcasts G while the new one is set to only broadcast N. I did this about 3 weeks ago and haven't had issues since.

That may not be your problem at all but it seems like it was mine. Just thought I would toss that out there.

My network usage is
4 N laptops
2 N tablets
1 N phone
1 N xbox 360
1 G laptop
1 G xbox 360
1 wired cell tower(sprint airave)

It was the gaming on the xbox's that seemed to crash the wireless N router before and slow everything down when they were on at the same time.

example of setup all hard wired together

Wall--modem--(wan)N(lan)--(lan)G(lan)--airave

Very good information and G/N Mode will kill you . If you want a great router purchase a dual-band router that will allow you to utilize a clean channel. All routers are the same and come from the same factories in China. new hires

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

I remember when woot! used to kill the local retailers prices. The Wireless N router is only $1.99 more at MicroCenter, less when you factor in shipping.

As far as the Trendnet brand, I've never had a problem with them. They are on my list of 'OK to buy' value brands, along with Tenda.

outer78

quality posts: 13 Private Messages outer78
baronrobert wrote:Very good information and G/N Mode will kill you . If you want a great router purchase a dual-band router that will allow you to utilize a clean channel. All routers are the same and come from the same factories in China. new hires

Haha thanks, I wasn't sure if it was going to make much sense since I don't have too much background info on what I did.

Dualband routers are good but they usually don't run at $20 unfortunately and my old router was a reliable old linksys and google can help in any situation

theguruguys wrote:I remember when woot! used to kill the local retailers prices. The Wireless N router is only $1.99 more at MicroCenter, less when you factor in shipping.

As far as the Trendnet brand, I've never had a problem with them. They are on my list of 'OK to buy' value brands, along with Tenda.

newegg also has it for $25 but it comes with free shipping. Basically this router is cheaper elsewhere after you include shipping.

edit(in reference to below) - I checked my email and it was the d-link dir-651. Sorry they look identical

I believe that it has also been $20 as weekly deals over the past month at Buy.com as well as tigerdirect.

decade

quality posts: 0 Private Messages decade

Isn't that PoE access point just a rebranded Senao device? They're also frequently sold under the EnGenius brand name.

I have one of the devices branded EnGenius, and I don't like it because it randomly disconnects clients.

oniiesu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oniiesu

Newegg has this router listed at a dollar more with free shipping. A better deal than woot. :/

tc1uscg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg
baronrobert wrote:Very good information and G/N Mode will kill you . If you want a great router purchase a dual-band router that will allow you to utilize a clean channel. All routers are the same and come from the same factories in China. new hires

Good info. I wish someone would produce a good 802.11ac router with at least 8 gigaports. I've got 2 gigarouters in 2 locations for my system just to handle the wired connections. For some reason, all the WiFi signals around me are 1 or 6. I've locked mine on 10. After about 2 months of watching, 10 never gets used. So, my little setup is as follows:

4 Towers (wired. 1 is a media server and has both wireless N and wired connections using Logitechs a EOP adapter)
3 Laptops (n)
1 MagicJack+(wired)
1 Tablet (n)
1 PS3 (n)
1 Xbox (n)
2 Android phones (n) (one used WiFi for vox calls when home)
1 Windows phone (n)
1 Security camera-Logitech (EOP)
1 Belkin EOP adapter with DISH DVR connected to it
2 iPod touches (sometimes up to 4 when kids are visiting)
3 Roku's (n)
1 DLink wireless AP w/Blue ray player and Dish DVR connected) (dual band but locked to 2.4ghz due to router)
1 Wii (G)
1 Sprint Air rave
1 Palm Pilot (B and I ONLY turn on this mode when it's needed. My only bottle neck is trying to stream 2 or 3 devices and playing online games on the PS3. The 360 for some reason doesn't drag the network down as much.

I may have left something out but this all runs on my DLink DIR-655 and a INTELLINET 8 port gigarouter and dlink 4 port gigarouter.

I also have a pogoplug w/2 external harddrives and 1 Segate 2tb network drive, 1 HP office jet pro 8600 (wired). All the above is on a normal day. When all the kids are home visiting, you can add 2 more laptops, iPhone 5, and another ipod and a PS2 w/G adapter. Things can get a little slow when one wants to watch netflix and do some online gaming. Thinking about moving to the 802.11ac routers but waiting for the next wave so all the bugs are worked out and performance gains are noticable. Being able to prioritize without spending hours setting up ports and static IP's will be nice but I'm still moving along well with the above setup.

TC1 USCG Ret

hondac95

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hondac95
thestickyb wrote:Price jumped on the router from $17 this morning to $23 currently. Glad I bought it earlier I guess.

Saw that too - glad I bought the Powerline AV Adapter kit at $35 yesterday, it jumped $13....what's up with that Woot?

crisss1205

quality posts: 5 Private Messages crisss1205
decade wrote:Isn't that PoE access point just a rebranded Senao device? They're also frequently sold under the EnGenius brand name.

I have one of the devices branded EnGenius, and I don't like it because it randomly disconnects clients.

Pretty much.
EnGenius
TRENDnet

barbboy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages barbboy
hondac95 wrote:Saw that too - glad I bought the Powerline AV Adapter kit at $35 yesterday, it jumped $13....what's up with that Woot?

Are you kidding? I need a Powerline, but price changes make me angry. Amazon does it all of the time. Looks like woot is now following corporate. What gives woot?

baronrobert

barbboy wrote:Are you kidding? I need a Powerline, but price changes make me angry. Amazon does it all of the time. Looks like woot is now following corporate. What gives woot?

any powerline kit under $50 bucks is killer these days

legicey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages legicey

I have Century Link as a provider and most of these do not have a hook up for them...I do not see the "cable in" slot to connect this to the Century Link incoming cable...

bjfranck

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bjfranck

Amazon has this for $24.99. One cent away from free shipping. 4 Stars as well

OrionAntares

quality posts: 0 Private Messages OrionAntares
tc1uscg wrote:Good info. I wish someone would produce a good 802.11ac router with at least 8 gigaports. I've got 2 gigarouters in 2 locations for my system just to handle the wired connections. For some reason, all the WiFi signals around me are 1 or 6. I've locked mine on 10. After about 2 months of watching, 10 never gets used. So, my little setup is as follows:

4 Towers (wired. 1 is a media server and has both wireless N and wired connections using Logitechs a EOP adapter)
3 Laptops (n)
1 MagicJack+(wired)
1 Tablet (n)
1 PS3 (n)
1 Xbox (n)
2 Android phones (n) (one used WiFi for vox calls when home)
1 Windows phone (n)
1 Security camera-Logitech (EOP)
1 Belkin EOP adapter with DISH DVR connected to it
2 iPod touches (sometimes up to 4 when kids are visiting)
3 Roku's (n)
1 DLink wireless AP w/Blue ray player and Dish DVR connected) (dual band but locked to 2.4ghz due to router)
1 Wii (G)
1 Sprint Air rave
1 Palm Pilot (B and I ONLY turn on this mode when it's needed. My only bottle neck is trying to stream 2 or 3 devices and playing online games on the PS3. The 360 for some reason doesn't drag the network down as much.

Isn't the built-in PS3 WiFi a G adapter?

MWPollard

quality posts: 15 Private Messages MWPollard

Wireless N doesn't help a whole lot (except for longer range) when the wired interface is only 100Mb, like they are with both the router and access point. The gaming adapter doesn't say, which means it's probably 100Mb as well. To take full advantage of N, you need gigabit ports.

Wow - I woot!ed so much my sig can't contain it all! I couldn't even keep up with it - this list hasn't been updated in years!

My page: http://www.MichaelPollard.org

crisss1205

quality posts: 5 Private Messages crisss1205
MWPollard wrote:Wireless N doesn't help a whole lot (except for longer range) when the wired interface is only 100Mb, like they are with both the router and access point. The gaming adapter doesn't say, which means it's probably 100Mb as well. To take full advantage of N, you need gigabit ports.

Not really, with Wireless N inter-WLAN connections are at wireless N speeds of up to 900 Mbps. So 2 wireless devices on the same AP will connect at Wireless N speeds.

marcuslongridge

quality posts: 1 Private Messages marcuslongridge

Anyone know if this is DD-WRT compatible? Doesn't say on the website.

dmckleinfeld

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmckleinfeld

Woah---thanks for the large amount of information. I have a TrendNet router that's been... meh. Good when it works, but a lot of dropouts and weak range. This advice makes a lot of sense, though---I'll try it! Thanks, f'r serious.

D

outer78 wrote:I would look into changing the router broadcasting channel to start (1-11) and maybe use a program that shows what all of the other routers in your area are on and try and prevent using the same.