lichme

quality posts: 3059 Private Messages lichme

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 589 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Let's see some personal reviews!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jrwwallis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jrwwallis

Looks like a front-loading washing machine

dangerhaus

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dangerhaus

Twelve (count 'em, 12) D cells?!? and a handle on top? Shoulder, get ready, we be steppin' through tha hood!

the ha is silent - i'm laughing on the inside

RedLyon

quality posts: 4 Private Messages RedLyon

While I don't have this model (I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/TDK-Record-77000015402-2-Speaker-Boombox/dp/B004I44EXI/ref=pd_sim_e_3) I can tell that the similarities between the two are enough to speak to the quality of this one.

This line of products is geared toward the person who values form just as much as function. There are cheaper and better products out there, but it's hard to find one which combines both in one model and looks this good.

That said, this is not that good of a price. I got my boom box for $69 at Marshall's on yellow tag clearance and this model is at another reseller closeout store in my area for this exact same price.

Shop around, you will find these cheaper if you really want one. They do sound decent, have a neat equalizer on the LCD and look high end. Mine is HEAVY, though and I assume this one is too.

Ignace

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ignace

I recently bought one of these at this price and am very satisfied so far. Seems expensive for a little, low-powered box -- I was skeptical at first, but reviewers had great things to say, and it has performed well and lived up to my expectations.

Sound is great for a large room, with plenty of bass, and it does have an equalizer function for such adjustments. I don't expect to use it outside or without A/C power, but it's nice to have that option.

Appears to be sturdy enough for general use but probably can't stand much abuse or heavy use outdoors, out and about, in my opinion.

And there's those exposed 'speakers' on each side (no speaker covers), susceptible to a direct hit or kick or poke. 4 of 'em, four big chances to ruin the unit.

I think it's a good value at this price; didn't know it is available for $70 - wow.

ThatCrazyGuy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ThatCrazyGuy
ThunderThighs wrote:Let's see some personal reviews!

I got one of these the last time woot had it up. It puts out some awesome sound and great amount of bass. It does like being in the center of a room due to the four sided speakers; so don't tuck it in a corner.

Brad47

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Brad47

If it didn't look so vulnerable, I would get one. Manufacturers should include grills. If somebody wants to take there's off after they get it that should be up to them. Why ruin an otherwise nice unit? I like the included equalizer and with 12 D cells it should kick!

Ignace wrote:I recently bought one of these at this price and am very satisfied so far. Seems expensive for a little, low-powered box -- I was skeptical at first, but reviewers had great things to say, and it has performed well and lived up to my expectations.

Sound is great for a large room, with plenty of bass, and it does have an equalizer function for such adjustments. I don't expect to use it outside or without A/C power, but it's nice to have that option.

Appears to be sturdy enough for general use but probably can't stand much abuse or heavy use outdoors, out and about, in my opinion.

And there's those exposed 'speakers' on each side (no speaker covers), susceptible to a direct hit or kick or poke. 4 of 'em, four big chances to ruin the unit.

I think it's a good value at this price; didn't know it is available for $70 - wow.

pastapup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pastapup

I got one when it was offered last time on Woot. I really love it although one day I did have a problem with the touch screen (source/equalizer/rewind/ play-pause/fast forward). It wouldn't respond and music could be played using the right knob but couldn't be stopped except to turn off the box or to start a different music file. I went about attempting to pull off the knobs and that seemed to relieve some pressure on the touch screen and everything has worked since.
As to the mention of buying it at Marshall's. I also saw one at my local Marshall's but it was $149, not $70 so don't count on that super low price. I bought a rolling cooler for the Cube at a local sporting goods store as recommended in an Amazon review and it keeps it safe in transport.
Also, another wooter mentioned last time that this has bluetooth capability. It does not. There is a newer model that does but it has other differences including no battery option. I haven't seen that model on Woot.
I would definitely buy this again.

ETA: I use it in a classroom so it's annoying when a track starts immediately after another track or I set up a track to play and before I can push pause it's already begun. I took several tracks and added a leader (using audacity--free download) to solve that problem. Another niggling issue is if you find another track to play while one is finishing the Cube will revert back to the current file if "play" is not pressed fairly quickly and you will have to cruise through files/folders again to find the new file.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1071 Private Messages whatsamattaU

sixdolla

quality posts: 24 Private Messages sixdolla

My suggestion to anyone that uses their phone all the time as I do for streaming music (pandora,spotify,ect.....) or as their mp3 player would be to get a bluetooth stereo instead. The convenience of using the audio source as a remote instead of it and you being tethered to the speakers is pretty awesome.

Wubintheya

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wubintheya

I purchased one of these last time around and am very happy with it. I just purchased another one as well.

On the downside I wish it had bluetooth and a remote or at least just a remote control. I know they have another, newer model with these features but the reviews aren't nearly as good as this one. This model feels like a nice quality piece of merchandise and is very nice looking.

I would say if you don't mind no bluetooth or remote go for this, you will not be sorry.

Jonas4321

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Jonas4321

I got one the last time it was offered and I have been super impressed with the sound quality. I have a 32G micro SD card in my phone to play tunes in my car through the AUX jack, so I hooked it up to that for a test and WOW! I wish my car stereo sounded that good.

I agree with the other posts about needing speaker grills to protect the fabric of the 4 exposed speakers. I have been looking for some to install but have not done so yet. I am a tinkerer by nature so installing grills won't be a negative, but it does make me wonder why the design of a portable system did not include them.

One more thing- in order to get the truly impressive bass, this thing needs to sit on the floor. Having it on a table did not give the rich sound that the floor did, so factor that into your plans.

All in all, I would buy this again now that I have used it. It is impressive for its size.

No Advertisement Here
That's why I haven't made thousands of posts...

Habenero61

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Habenero61

I bought one several weeks ago. Worth every penny and then some. Multiple plug ins. Extremely well built and loud. Best $99 dollar sound box you can buy. Someone said if you leave the batteries in they will drain slowly in stand by. So I guess I would put something it between the last battery when not using it.

salpo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages salpo

Got one few months ago. Sound is simply AMAZING! It also has radio, which is great for me, and plenty of input. Cons: no remote, and the ipod connection actually does not support every ipod (for instance, my ipod touch I think 2nd gen. does not work there... ) I wish it had a bluetooth connection too!

blkg35sport

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blkg35sport

Awesome bass and worth the price. I found Costco a good place to buy 12 D Durcell batteries.

jjkenobi

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jjkenobi

With the never ending quantity of speakers for phones/ipods put on here there must be people who have them stacked wall to wall in their homes.

badhabit12

quality posts: 14 Private Messages badhabit12

I looked all over the internet and then some. even asked my X-wife ,she knows everything. ,,,, (couldn't help myself there)... :-)

I found the TP6701BLK at the same price with $5.00 shipping "BUT" I didn't find it cheaper, anyplace. ,,,SOOOOOOO .. .. I'd say its a very good price and will consider purchasing it for the bedroom.

smooth0906

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smooth0906

I purchased this unit on Woot in early January of this year. Woot's shipping was fast and the unit works as advertised; maybe better! Very nice bass and the mids-highs are great too. I have mine on a small wood table and the bass is still great. It does not have to be on the floor as someone had mentioned here to have great bass. I would rather have this than the bluetooth one because the bluetooth model does not take batteries. What's the use of a bluetooth unit if you have to lug it with you along with your other device? Also there are other operational differences with the wired vs bluetooth devices. Overall, for the 99.00 price, you can't do better anywhere else. If you are still unsure, please read the Amazon reviews for the wired unit before taking the plunge. While you are there, also read the reviews for the bluetooth unit. I did; that's why I purchased the wired unit here on Woot.

kuma99

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kuma99

no bluetooth

mickaudio

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mickaudio

Bought one a month ago(same Woot price) and LOVE it.

A couple not so obvious observations...the iPad connector sounds noticeably better than using a 1/8" cable via the phone/tablet headphone output, but IOS will not allow changing volume...if you want to mix the tablet/USB with a guitar, the guitar doesn't get loud enough. This is not a deal-breaker, the Aux input is fine for practicing.

The cube does have an annoying power-save timeout, but is easily changed, and better options are available with the latest firmware on the website.

The firmware update also updates the default mix input blend ratio to a much more usable starting point.

Oh yeah, when you turn it off, the mix input needs to be re-selected. S'all good tho...I'm in for another!

mickaudio

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mickaudio
kuma99 wrote:no bluetooth

for moi, the 1/4" input and mix feature makes up for this.

thievedrelic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thievedrelic
sixdolla wrote:My suggestion to anyone that uses their phone all the time as I do for streaming music (pandora,spotify,ect.....) or as their mp3 player would be to get a bluetooth stereo instead. The convenience of using the audio source as a remote instead of it and you being tethered to the speakers is pretty awesome.

One can also buy a bluetooth receiver line for just about any stereo...Woot had the excellent Miccus model on sale a few weeks ago for $20.

rosey1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rosey1

The photo looks like they are using a Microsoft Zune ( Micro's equivalent to the Apple IPod) which is what I have. Anyone know whether it is compatible?

golncor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages golncor
blkg35sport wrote:Awesome bass and worth the price. I found Costco a good place to buy 12 D Durcell batteries.

sounds like someone should come up with a way to hack a battery pack that you use to recharge your tablets and phones. at 2500+ MaH, it should not be hard to power this and have a rechargeable power source.

pastapup

rosey1 wrote:The photo looks like they are using a Microsoft Zune ( Micro's equivalent to the Apple IPod) which is what I have. Anyone know whether it is compatible?

My Sansa mp3 player works using the provided mini jack cable to the Sansa's headphone output. The USB input does not allow the Sansa to charge at the same time.

jgerards

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgerards

If you really want the unit but are torn about not having bluetooth, you can always get one of these along with it:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8Z492TTP-Bluetooth-Music-Receiver/dp/B0047T79VS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361203127&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+1%2F8+adapter

wmlagna

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wmlagna

I have the cube and the 2 speaker boombox. I love them. I will say the updated (with bluetooth and a passive radiators and rechargable batteries) versions available in best buy are nicer, but these are the best sound you can get for the price by far. You can add bluetooth if you need it, or just use the plug in. A suggestion for battery users - you can buy the rechargables and set of eveready NiMH will set you back about $100 but will give some good extended play time. What I use instead are the AA eneloops or eveready enercells with spacers available online. For $33 or so you can play with the rechargables BUT you must take them out and recharge each time - annoying but worth it for the great sound. If you need bluetooth and want the convenience of built in recharchables then get the newer version.
If max sound for the buck is your objective, then get this deal.

BTW, the exposed speakers are NOT delicate - they are carbon fiber and real rubber and can take quite a beating. They are tough and look cool - do not worry about them and there is no need to make speaker grilles. they are tougher than the cases of most portable players. do NOT let the exposed drivers hold you back from a purchase.

N6455V

quality posts: 0 Private Messages N6455V

Does this work with the Kindle Fire?

gimperdaniel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gimperdaniel

TJ Maxx, Marshals, Homegoods are also selling these now.

atomizer

quality posts: 14 Private Messages atomizer
RedLyon wrote:
Mine is HEAVY, though and I assume this one is too.

Do you even lift?

87 Woot-offs; 4 random craps

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

gimperdaniel wrote:TJ Maxx, Marshals, Homegoods are also selling these now.

we need links!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

testboy69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages testboy69

To those seeking this at Marshalls, Homegoods, TJ MAXX.. just a heads up. I'm in NJ and saw this 1st thing in the AM.. After the Marshalls post ($60), I ran to Homegoods/Marshalls/TJ MAXX, to see if they had them.. I went to 5 stores within 20+- mile radius.. Long story short.. I found 2... One was $119 (Marshalls).. the other $84.99(TJ MAX) was not in the box and had a red clearance sticker on it.. So Godspeed to those trying to find this at a better deal.. Just pulled the trigger

TheDogma

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheDogma

I wonder if this has Airplay, or if it's compatible? It would be great to play something wirelessly, that way I could keep my laptop in my bedroom and run this in the living room.

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 882001
TheDogma wrote:I wonder if this has Airplay, or if it's compatible? It would be great to play something wirelessly, that way I could keep my laptop in my bedroom and run this in the living room.

just buy an airport express or an apple tv

MaxSMoke777

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MaxSMoke777

Hmmm... Bluetooth? No. Fail.

blkg35sport

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blkg35sport
gimperdaniel wrote:TJ Maxx, Marshals, Homegoods are also selling these now.

Yes but there're $199 then reduced to $149 at the local Marshalls in Richmond VA.

llocutus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages llocutus

No HD Radio? For shame.

pastapup

mickaudio wrote:Bought one a month ago(same Woot price) and LOVE it.

A couple not so obvious observations...the iPad connector sounds noticeably better than using a 1/8" cable via the phone/tablet headphone output, but IOS will not allow changing volume...if you want to mix the tablet/USB with a guitar, the guitar doesn't get loud enough. This is not a deal-breaker, the Aux input is fine for practicing.

The cube does have an annoying power-save timeout, but is easily changed, and better options are available with the latest firmware on the website.

The firmware update also updates the default mix input blend ratio to a much more usable starting point.

Oh yeah, when you turn it off, the mix input needs to be re-selected. S'all good tho...I'm in for another!

I downloaded the firmware update to a USB stick but it doesn't show up when plugged into the Cube. The instructions on the TDK website are corrupt. How did you do it?