http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Mode-M40-Headphones-Copper/dp/B005N8A4Z0

lichme

quality posts: 2750 Private Messages lichme

pitamuffin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages pitamuffin

They sure are pretty.

paintballove

quality posts: 3 Private Messages paintballove

These went quickly last time, if I remember correctly.

markriddle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages markriddle

Do these work with other phones. Noticed the ad featured I-world stuff.

danjstein

quality posts: 4 Private Messages danjstein

I bought these on the last Woot and they're very good. I use them every day during lunch at my favorite Mexican restaurant. They cancel the loud music and let me focus on my newspaper. The sound spectrum is broad with a little tilt to the bass but its not an assault on your aural canal. These are not as good as my wife's Bose over-ear phones but these are half the price. I recommend them.

Greshmahg

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Greshmahg

Just a word of warning: If your head isn't small, these things will absolutely torment you. They basically crush your skull and leave your ears in a lot of pain. Very uncomfortable and unadjustable in that regard.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

how would it know what I am playing is noise or not and cancel it by mistake? I always hear old timers complaining and saying "turn that noise down". I don't want to get this headphone and end up hearing nothing.

DarkZrobe

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DarkZrobe

Bought a pair last time, so far so good. The noise cancelling does add a tad more sound (Haven't been on a plane or long car ride to test how well it works). Sound seems great and gets better everyday. Highly recommend a good 40 hour burn in on these.

bookmonkey786

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bookmonkey786

Are the ear pad replaceable? I don't want to have to get rid of a perfectly good (and expensive)pair of headphones because the ear pads are falling apart while the speaker are good.

mrbarister

quality posts: 29 Private Messages mrbarister
lwang wrote:how would it know what I am playing is noise or not and cancel it by mistake? I always hear old timers complaining and saying "turn that noise down". I don't want to get this headphone and end up hearing nothing.

I'll assume you're being serious. There are small microphones on the outside that read the frequencies and somehow translate them to new ones that play with your music to cancel out the external noise I think.

ap210

quality posts: 47 Private Messages ap210

I currently use the Bose QC15. These are roughly comparable to them at half the price. In for one "backup" pair of decent headphones.

1. 11/6Rmba
  2. 11/13Scba
  3. 11/16LtchWlssSystm
  4. 11/16Gmbrdg
  5. 11/16SnDskPlyr
  6. 11/16UFO
  7. 11/16LtchWlssHdphns"lbl fll ff"
  8. 11/17LtchXbxhdst
  9. 11/173xLkFrg
  10. 11/25iPdShfflClck
  11. 12/62xBpMntrs
  12. 12/133xNxs25XM

wayneqsr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wayneqsr

The look nice and all, but the whole "refurbished" thing bothers me. I mean, it's not like it's a TV or a jigsaw puzzle that's been "refurbished," it's something that you put over your ears.
"Refurbished" means "used" but with broken parts replaced.
What if the ear pads looked OK to the guy who forgot his contact lenses that day and the previous owner had some sort of mutant ear lice? I'd be worried these things would somehow invade my brain and while I admit there's some extra room up in my head, I'm afraid these mutant ear lice would force me to do weird stuff like shop at Ikia and all. (Why don't they use Apple correct grammar and call themselves "iKia?") And what's with all these quotes? Gahhhhh! Ear lice!!!

acraigl

quality posts: 41 Private Messages acraigl
pitamuffin wrote:They sure are pretty.

+1
I was thinking the same thing.

chicken260

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chicken260

Looks like there's quite a few reviews on amazon complaining about how uncomfortable these are...I'm curious what the "optimum" head size range for these is, in more concrete terms than "small."

So tempted, but deterred by the thought of wearing a pretty torture device on my head.

baumwart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baumwart

I'm wearing them right now. I bought them last time they were wooted.

They were uncomfortable on my fat head at first, but then I stretched them by leaving them expanded on the arm of my couch and using a blow drier to heat them up. A couple of days later they were stretched enough to be comfy.

HOWEVER, while they sound awesome (powered) and pretty good (unpowered), they're still too heavy for me.

And the worst thing about them is this: when I fly I sit at a window seat so I can put my head on the window and sleep. These things are so big that such a position isn't possible. The headband is just so freaking thick.

I wish I had gotten something lighter and smaller.

onsitestudios

quality posts: 1 Private Messages onsitestudios
markriddle wrote:Do these work with other phones. Noticed the ad featured I-world stuff.

Work great with my Motorola Droid RAZR.

offline999

quality posts: 4 Private Messages offline999
Greshmahg wrote:Just a word of warning: If your head isn't small, these things will absolutely torment you. They basically crush your skull and leave your ears in a lot of pain. Very uncomfortable and unadjustable in that regard.

Thank you so much for the tip! I've got a pair of Skull Candy noise-cancelling headphones that have that same problem and I can't wear them at all. They crush my big fat head too much...
In for none.

offline999

baumwart wrote:...the worst thing about them is this: when I fly I sit at a window seat so I can put my head on the window and sleep. These things are so big that such a position isn't possible. The headband is just so freaking thick.

I've got a pair of Sennheiser PXC 250-II's and they are dramatically different in design and might be just what you're looking for. Rather than putting the noise cancelling components in the headphones (which adds bulk & weight) they put the controls in a unit that is part of the wiring to the jack. It clips to my shirt pocket (or just sits in my lap) and I'm able to lean against the window with ease.

Check 'em out

Note: They do NOT completely cover your ears, so they are almost certainly less effective than others (that have the benefit of "isolating" your ears) but they are quite effective on a plane. Even when I'm not listening to anything, just having the active noise cancelling "ON" is beneficial.

LordBling

quality posts: 4 Private Messages LordBling

I'm in for a pair. Been looking to upgrade my old Audio Technica set. I keep reading that these 'clamp' on most heads, but I had the same problem with my Tritton Warhead set for my Xbox, and I just left it over the arm of my recliner overnight and now it fits perfectly. Will probably do the same with this Klipsch set if need be.

mfeferman

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mfeferman

This is a true statement. I have a medium head and bought these the last woot. They are somewhat painful over the long haul. I fly about 100k miles a year. I'm now looking for the Bose headphones.

Greshmahg wrote:Just a word of warning: If your head isn't small, these things will absolutely torment you. They basically crush your skull and leave your ears in a lot of pain. Very uncomfortable and unadjustable in that regard.

"To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."

dalematthew

quality posts: 22 Private Messages dalematthew
baumwart wrote:I'm wearing them right now. I bought them last time they were wooted.

They were uncomfortable on my fat head at first, but then I stretched them by leaving them expanded on the arm of my couch and using a blow drier to heat them up. A couple of days later they were stretched enough to be comfy.

HOWEVER, while they sound awesome (powered) and pretty good (unpowered), they're still too heavy for me.

And the worst thing about them is this: when I fly I sit at a window seat so I can put my head on the window and sleep. These things are so big that such a position isn't possible. The headband is just so freaking thick.

Thx - exactly what I wanted to know.

mfeferman

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mfeferman

Maybe this would be a better review...

I bought these the last Woot, because I fly 100K miles a year for work.

The look and feel seem really solid, but the noise cancelling is not nearly as good as the Bose I tried on last week.

I don't have a huge head, said with the Monty Python accent , but they're still a bit tight and eventually hurt after wearing them during a long flight.

The sound is very good and they actually come with a cord that allows you to use your phone (calls and all), which I like.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably buy the Bose. In fact, I'm probably going to do that anyway.

Woot - I still love you, even though you've moved out of Texas.

Hook'em!

"To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."

thewacokid413

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thewacokid413

These headphones are phenomenal. They won't be quite as good as top of the line Bose headphones, but for this price, you can't beat them. I bought a pair last time Woot did this, and I use them everyday. Some people say they are a bit bass heavy, which is only somewhat true. Good thing about that is if you listen to any music with any ambient sounds, they come through very crisp.

Some people have complained that they are a little tight. I have a big head, and I don't think they're uncomfortable. A little snug, but that can be fixed by just stretching them out a little bit. You just got to wear them in a little bit.

Also, the noise cancellation is really good, both actively and passively. I wore them on a flight from Chicago to Pittsburgh and I couldn't hear a thing outside of my headphones. There's a bit of a sound boost when you turn them on, but it doesn't muddy the sound or anything.

I honestly give them a strong 10/10, especially for this price. You can't really go wrong

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 560 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mfeferman wrote:Maybe this would be a better review...

I bought these the last Woot, because I fly 100K miles a year for work.

The look and feel seem really solid, but the noise cancelling is not nearly as good as the Bose I tried on last week.

I don't have a huge head, said with the Monty Python accent , but they're still a bit tight and eventually hurt after wearing them during a long flight.

The sound is very good and they actually come with a cord that allows you to use your phone (calls and all), which I like.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably buy the Bose. In fact, I'm probably going to do that anyway.

Woot - I still love you, even though you've moved out of Texas.

Hook'em!

Many of us are still in Texas!

Did you read earlier in the thread about how another Wooter slowly and safely stretched his out to fit his big head?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

brianpan90

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brianpan90
markriddle wrote:Do these work with other phones. Noticed the ad featured I-world stuff.

You can use the headphones in anything...The controller (volume up/down) only works on apple stuff though. So you would have to control the volume from the device like usual

jtorkilson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtorkilson
wayneqsr wrote:The look nice and all, but the whole "refurbished" thing bothers me. I mean, it's not like it's a TV or a jigsaw puzzle that's been "refurbished," it's something that you put over your ears.
"Refurbished" means "used" but with broken parts replaced.
What if the ear pads looked OK to the guy who forgot his contact lenses that day and the previous owner had some sort of mutant ear lice? I'd be worried these things would somehow invade my brain and while I admit there's some extra room up in my head, I'm afraid these mutant ear lice would force me to do weird stuff like shop at Ikia and all. (Why don't they use Apple correct grammar and call themselves "iKia?") And what's with all these quotes? Gahhhhh! Ear lice!!!

Refurbished, most likely in this case, means someone bought them and returned them for an improper fit or damaged parts, not necessarily just damaged parts.
As far as cleanliness goes, my understanding is that headphones (earphones included) are somewhat regulated in this regard, to prevent disease. That's why you never see and "Open Box" item for headphones at your local big box store; they have to send returned headphones back to the manufacturer.
I believe Klipsch would be reputable enough to test every returned product and clean them thoroughly, since they do have a brand image and name to protect.

karlranck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karlranck
danjstein wrote:I use them every day during lunch at my favorite Mexican restaurant.

I'd recommend not eating Mexican food everyday...just saying.

jeremynichols

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeremynichols

How are these things for those of us who wear eyeglasses? I find that outside-ear headphones often press uncomfortably on the bows of my glasses.

biplabmandal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages biplabmandal

Are they better than Bose?

eq5150

quality posts: 6 Private Messages eq5150

On Amazon there are 42 review for a brand new model. the one star reviews say it broke right away. The 2 stars say it's so uncomfortable it's torture. The 3 star reviews are a mix of uncomfortably and "not worth the price."
If you're willing to pay this much for a used one, why not go all out and get a Bose QuietComfort?

trojan372

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trojan372

I don't think I want to kick out 300 for a pair of Bose.

Is the refurbishing quality enough?

I'd think this is much better than what I'd get new for 100-150, and I just can't justify 300 right now.

I'd be using these for traveling and at work....

rlw999

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rlw999
lwang wrote:how would it know what I am playing is noise or not and cancel it by mistake? I always hear old timers complaining and saying "turn that noise down". I don't want to get this headphone and end up hearing nothing.

Usually these types of headphones have a switch or dial on the side that you use to set your age.

So, for example if you set it to 25, it would automatically detect and silence Frank Sinatra and other big band era music. While if you set it to 65 it would block Nicky Minaj, Lil Wayne, etc. You may have to adjust the setting a little to make sure it doesn't filter out your particular style of music.

For user safety, nearly all noise cancelling headphones come with a Bieber-filter that cannot be disabled.

rlw999

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rlw999
eq5150 wrote:
If you're willing to pay this much for a used one, why not go all out and get a Bose QuietComfort?

Because even a used Bose QC costs about twice as much as these?

That's kind of like asking a guy driving a $60K sports car "Hey, if you're going to spend $60K on a car, why not go all out and get a $120K Ferarri?"

testudoaubreii

quality posts: 13 Private Messages testudoaubreii
rlw999 wrote:Usually these types of headphones have a switch or dial on the side that you use to set your age.

So, for example if you set it to 25, it would automatically detect and silence Frank Sinatra and other big band era music. While if you set it to 65 it would block Nicky Minaj, Lil Wayne, etc. You may have to adjust the setting a little to make sure it doesn't filter out your particular style of music.

For user safety, nearly all noise cancelling headphones come with a Bieber-filter that cannot be disabled.

How do I recommend something be made a quality post? Because this right here? This is a quality post.

jflail2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jflail2

Get the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7B's instead and don't look back.

$146.60 on Amazon right now. I wear these for 6-8 hours every day at work, and they're never uncomfortable. Great on flights (these kept me sane going to and from the Philippines), and I like the sound quality.

I suppose the only drawback might be that they don't sound good without the noise cancelling on, so you'll need to keep some extra batteries handy.

Still, 146 for a brand new pair crushes these Klipsch....

offline999

karlranck wrote:I'd recommend not eating Mexican food everyday...just saying.

Ummm...don't tell that to...uummm...everyone living in Mexico...

Just sayin' :-)

kellic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kellic
jflail2 wrote:

Still, 146 for a brand new pair crushes these Klipsch....

Some of us don't give a crap about new vs. referb. A referb doesn't mean it sucks or is any worse then a new out of the box device.

It just means it was previously owned, but not necessarily used, before.

jflail2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jflail2

Note that I also said they're comfortable, which is a huge talking point here. Details.....

kellic wrote:Some of us don't give a crap about new vs. referb. A referb doesn't mean it sucks or is any worse then a new out of the box device.

It just means it was previously owned, but not necessarily used, before.