WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Pro Audio Gear

Doesn't it seem like everyone is a DJ these days? Oh wait, Portlandia already made this joke. And they had a whole sketch comedy show in which to do it, whereas we only have a few measly sentences. We'll never win.

Quality Posts

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975

the soundcard ships for 28.47 with amazon prime if you have it. Didnt find any reviews on amazon.

I always did like yardsales.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

luke975 wrote:the soundcard ships for 28.47 with amazon prime if you have it. Didnt find any reviews on amazon.

That's where planning your purchases to take advantage of $5 all day shipping pays off.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

skrutinizr

quality posts: 8 Private Messages skrutinizr

Just so ya know- not a single "pro" uses this stuff. If you want to have a rave in your own garage or something- go for it.

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 36 Private Messages jiggersgreen

Pro Audio......NOT!

aojle

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aojle

I have a Woot (1/6/2013) Ikey Audio G3 Portable USB Instrument Recorder. It works, and sounds fine to me. I'd like to point out some negatives though.

Use good batteries. With a current draw around a half amp, the iGo rechargeable Alkalines just won't do it.

If there's a way to delete recordings, I've not found it, except by using a computer.

For mine, it will no longer connect via USB to the computer and I have to resort to moving the SD card to a computer. Don't know if that's a design flaw or my unit is failed, probably failed.

The VU meter seems to be linear and low resolution, that's ok but doesn't really give a good feel (signal comes on a little too suddenly as you raise the level).

I've been using it in parallel with a netbook running audacity, audacity is winning the race for most reliable, it's just a bit easier to mess up with the little G3 device, which is not a good thing when recording live (never again to be replayed) material. Even when it's not the device's fault (bad cable), it's just harder to figure out what the problem is when all you've got is a VU meter.

fyi: I use stereo CD quality WAV recordings, occasionally mono, haven't tested mp3 recording.

roussie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages roussie

I saw monitors in the picture and I was all excited! but there aren't any monitors here...

But anyway, I DJ from time to time (like 100% of young people as stated above) and really the key to getting gigs is having your own equipment. Picking up 2-4 large speakers is probably a solid plan if you are a fledgling disk jockey looking for work.

As for being a big time DJ, you probably either need to know someone or be a producer first... I'm telling you man: I want to those monitors!

roussie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages roussie
roussie wrote:I saw monitors in the picture and I was all excited! but there aren't any monitors here...

But anyway, I DJ from time to time (like 100% of young people as stated above) and really the key to getting gigs is having your own equipment. Picking up 2-4 large speakers is probably a solid plan if you are a fledgling disk jockey looking for work.

As for being a big time DJ, you probably either need to know someone or be a producer first... I'm telling you man: I want to those monitors!

Also since the woot moderator asked for it:

https://soundcloud.com/james-kay

There's my sound cloud. There's a remix contest open right now if you're an FL user... although you probably already know that.... the second song there is my entry.

wolfen17

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wolfen17

Can my kid use this for everyday listening? ie iPOD and computer. She tends to go through headphones at an abnormal rate, and I would be in for 3 if they are good for everyday use.

Edit: I'm referring to the headphones...sorry

klakerbiz66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klakerbiz66
wolfen17 wrote:Can my kid use this for everyday listening? ie iPOD and computer. She tends to go through headphones at an abnormal rate, and I would be in for 3 if they are good for everyday use.

Edit: I'm referring to the headphones...sorry

I own a pair of these headphones and use them daily with everything. They are great.

djdanx

quality posts: 2 Private Messages djdanx

For these powered speakers, how do I get stereo sound? I notice that the back of the speaker has RCA line inputs. But usually, I have two speakers so that one speaker is the left channel and the other speaker the right channel. How would it work for these speakers? Would I connect only the red (right) channel to one powered speaker and the white (left) channel to another powered speaker? Or would that not work for some reason? TIA!

klakerbiz66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klakerbiz66
djdanx wrote:For these powered speakers, how do I get stereo sound? I notice that the back of the speaker has RCA line inputs. But usually, I have two speakers so that one speaker is the left channel and the other speaker the right channel. How would it work for these speakers? Would I connect only the red (right) channel to one powered speaker and the white (left) channel to another powered speaker? Or would that not work for some reason? TIA!

I own a pair of these RS speakers:

For stereo sound come out RCA output left and right to one speaker RCA left and right input. Then from that speaker go line output to the other speaker, XLR output to XLR input.

tidusthealmighty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tidusthealmighty

Having a degree in Audio Engineering, I kind of got snobby when I saw "Pro Audio Gear" and saw it was DJ stuff, haha.

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 36 Private Messages jiggersgreen
tidusthealmighty wrote:Having a degree in Audio Engineering, I kind of got snobby when I saw "Pro Audio Gear" and saw it was DJ stuff, haha.

I was one of the early birds on the road from mid 60s thru mid 80s. We helped build an industry so would have something to to do with your degree. As to the DJ stuff, I totally agree.