quality posts: 3465 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

check out this cnet review on the LED model

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/lg-47lv4400/4505-6482_7-35074364.html

lichme

quality posts: 2849 Private Messages lichme

Some LCD Reviews as well. 4.5 Stars/38 reviews

Lazarus2

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Lazarus2

Remember LG's 120Hz TruMotion is NOT, I repeat - IS NOT true 120Hz !!
This item is 60Hz with firmware code that ATTEMPTS to mimic 120Hz !!

From the Notebook of Lazarus Long:
"Touch is the most fundamental sense. A baby experiences it, all over, before he is born and long before he learns to use sight, hearing, or taste, and no human ever ceases to need it. Keep your children short on pocket money -- but long on hugs."

tyler530chico

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tyler530chico
Lazarus2 wrote:Remember LG's 120Hz TruMotion is NOT, I repeat - IS NOT true 120Hz !!

I have this TV. The image is WAY finer than looking at your wife, let's just say that.

Pony99CA

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Pony99CA
Lazarus2 wrote:Remember LG's 120Hz TruMotion is NOT, I repeat - IS NOT true 120Hz !!

Considering that no video sources have more than 60 frames per second, ANY higher frame rate is attempting to mimic that "true" frame rates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Television_Systems_Committee_standards

Radamus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Radamus
Pony99CA wrote:Considering that no video sources have more than 60 frames per second, ANY higher frame rate is attempting to mimic that "true" frame rates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Television_Systems_Committee_standards

30, 60, and 24 all go into 120 evenly, so no information has to be made up to compensate for the playback. Otherwise, frames are invented to play 24 at 30 or 60. That's my understanding, anyway.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Time for one: previous woot $499.99, $20 more, if you want to look at the comments (not all glowing) for the LV4400 last October
http://tech.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5198196

Coltbear50

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Coltbear50

I almost bought this refurbished (and really, REALLY wanted to), but just learned that this particular 3-D model is a Consumer Reports "Best Buy," and can be had new for $600.00.

With a LG 4-year manufacturer's warranty (something I would want, as I suppose others would as well), for around a hundred extra, that makes buying it new the option for me.

If SquareTrade offered the same 4-year length warranty for the same price, now that WOOT, uh, WOULD be something to consider...

simssj

quality posts: 3 Private Messages simssj
Coltbear50 wrote:
With a LG 4-year manufacturer's warranty (something I would want, as I suppose others would as well), for around a hundred extra, that makes buying it new the option for me.

I'm not confident even LG's *own* 4-year warranty is enough to satisfy anyone. I've been dorked by LG twice on separate occasions on warranty claims.

In both instances I promised myself that I would *never* buy an LG product again. The second promise has stuck "so far."

MixManSC

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MixManSC

LED or LCD???? Either they are claiming someone had invented a magical LCD that is self illuminating or someone does not know what they are talking about. So called LED TV's ARE LCD TV's. I know, I know.... I just wish they would stop referring to the backlight in this manner. It confuses most people. My in-laws recently got an "LED" TV and I told them they actually got an LCD TV with LED backlighting and they simply refused to accept that. grrrrr

Random Crap 11/17/06
Random Crap 3/23/07
Random Crap 6/1/07
Random Crap 8/30/07

fenix1186

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fenix1186

I have one of the LED 42" that I bought new. It is an amazing picture. Really one of the best I've had. The smart features are great for using netflix directly on the TV. It comes with a wireless USB stick that plugs into the TV and connects to your router. Great TV hands down. I'm a techie guy so I'm really particular with my tech. This just looks and plays great for my games and blu rays.

bryaninphx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bryaninphx

The Spec Sheet for the LG 47LV4400 says it has:
3 HDMI In - (2 Side/1 Rear)
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-47LV4400-led-tv

My sister has this TV (over 1 year) and the colors are way off to the green side, as hard as I try the picture just never looks right.

The Spec Sheet for the LG 47CM565 says it has:
3 HDMI In - (1 Side/2 Rear)
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-47CM565-lcd-tv

The Pics even show the HDMI Inputs

[MOD: And that's how it is in the specs. There are two tables for the Inputs: Side & Rear]

nalawod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nalawod

I have had a 50" version of this 3d TV for several years now. Still working great and I have no problems with colors or brightness and I even use it for 3d gaming on World of Warcraft.
The first thing to watch out for though- when you first start viewing, you'll notice all your shows look "surreal" like they're shot with a steadycam on steroids. Took a while to figure out that this is "True motion" in action. Turn it off in the video menu, you'll be much happier. Also set the LED area dimming to minimum or off or else watching a hockey game will drive you nuts with all the black/white dimming changes.

Here's a link on avsforum for similar model tv's color scheme custom settings. My tv was good on these out of the box, but I did use the tweaks mentioned and it's even better now:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1319231/official-lg-47lw5600-55lw5600-passive-3d-owners-thread

Pony99CA

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Pony99CA
Radamus wrote:30, 60, and 24 all go into 120 evenly, so no information has to be made up to compensate for the playback. Otherwise, frames are invented to play 24 at 30 or 60. That's my understanding, anyway.

Exactly, they're interpolating things, which is a fancy way of saying "guessing at what's supposed to be there".

It may be simpler than 2D to 3D conversion, but it's still making stuff up that's not in the source signal.

rbaird2001

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rbaird2001

bought this model earlier in the year from Woot! as a christmas present. I love how well it does the computer graphics that I think I will repace my two monitors with this. What say you?

willamazonkillwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willamazonkillwoot

I bought one last fall, the remote doesn't work. I'm using the cable remote, but can't access most functions. Picture quality is fine and no problems. My $.02.