WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: What is the most aggravating innovation in today's public restrooms?
  • 15.1% - "Automatic" toilet flushing 252
  • 23.1% - "Automatic" sinks 385
  • 13.4% - "Automatic" paper towel dispensers 223
  • 28.6% - Any kind of blow-dry hand-drying system 477
  • 19.7% - What are you talking about? Today's techno-john is a wonderland of convenience and hygiene. 328
1665 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

gradillas33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gradillas33

People DON'T like automatic sinks?

balisane

quality posts: 16 Private Messages balisane

I wish more places had the AirBlade dryers. They work great, and it's hilarious to watch people try to figure them out.

YOU SUCH A JOLLY MR. SNOWMAN
DANCE

fractalVisionz

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fractalVisionz
"Automatic" toilet flushing

While wonderful in concept, keeping peoples dirty hands from, well, getting dirtier, they never work.

It is the absolute worst when they flush while you are on it.

I like foot switches, which they don't seem to use much in the US.

sumerland3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sumerland3

I hate that you go to the bathroom and the toilet flushes itself, you put your hands in the sink and the water automatically comes out, you get soap without touching a thing, and then the paper towel dispenser gives you a towel with the wave of your hand.

But the minute you want to leave the bathroom, there is a manual "pull" door in your way that the last guy used without washing his pee-hands.

beaglebrains

quality posts: 4 Private Messages beaglebrains

@ sumerland3:

LOL, perfect response.

Coltbear50

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Coltbear50

You forgot to mention THE most aggravating things in rest rooms... the circular plastic toilet tissue paper "guards" with the plastic "teeth" to cut it. They either NEVER have any sticking out for you to grab some, or are too LOW so that you have to practically touch the floor, which I have NO desire to do.

Nor do I want to think about where ANYBODY'S hands have been who's had to reach inside those plastic "teeth" that cut the paper to obtain some.

NO, THANKS... I'LL WAIT!!!

Coltbear50

sumerland3 wrote:I hate that you go to the bathroom and the toilet flushes itself, you put your hands in the sink and the water automatically comes out, you get soap without touching a thing, and then the paper towel dispenser gives you a towel with the wave of your hand.

But the minute you want to leave the bathroom, there is a manual "pull" door in your way that the last guy used without washing his pee-hands.

Coltbear50

@sumerland3:

You're supposed to grab some paper towel to open the door by the handle, hold it open with your foot while you throw the paper towel away in an all-in-one move that only James Bond could do smoothly.

Don't worry... after a few tries, you can be just like James.

Coltbear50 wrote:

Coltbear50

Coltbear50 wrote:

@sumerland3:

You're supposed to grab some paper towel to open the door by the handle, hold it open with your foot while you throw the paper towel away in an all-in-one move that only James Bond could do smoothly.

Don't worry... after a few tries, you can be just like James.

Sorry, I didn't mean to repeat myself!

davidmcgill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidmcgill

...now if we could just automatically keep people from peeing all over the floor in front of the urinals...

MachGoGoGo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MachGoGoGo

Blow-dry hand-drying systems? Frankly, it'd be more hygienic if they just had a plague-infested gibbon sneeze my hands dry.

facemeetpavement

quality posts: 0 Private Messages facemeetpavement

i can never get the automatic paper towel dispensers to work. i just use my pants those times.

PhilCarr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages PhilCarr

How about the "waterless" urinals? Every time I go in a bathroom that has those it smells like a port-o-potty!

dianewagner64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dianewagner64

I should clarify, it is the prematurely automatic flushing toilet

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
fractalVisionz wrote:I like foot switches, which they don't seem to use much in the US.

Oh, we use them, but you have to be able to get your foot pretty high. Karate training is helpful.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 590 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

dianewagner64 wrote:I should clarify, it is the prematurely automatic flushing toilet

Right as you get the toilet seat paper cover just right too. Hate that.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller
sumerland3 wrote:I hate that you go to the bathroom and the toilet flushes itself, you put your hands in the sink and the water automatically comes out, you get soap without touching a thing, and then the paper towel dispenser gives you a towel with the wave of your hand.

Amen to this..

Every public restroom should have something like this: http://www.toepener.com/

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

justkissmybass

quality posts: 3 Private Messages justkissmybass
ThunderThighs wrote:Right as you get the toilet seat paper cover just right too. Hate that.

I've learned to lay some toilet paper over the sensor to prevent premature flushing.

deadeye37

quality posts: 3 Private Messages deadeye37

Those automatic paper towel dispensers are annoying. Half the time you have to do an interpretive dance to get it to dispense. Once it dispenses, the paper towel it gives you is way too small to get your hands dry, so you have to do more dancing to get the second towel to dispense. The whole time, the paper towel dispenser is quietly laughing at you.

And no, I'm not one of those people that needs 8 towels to dry my hands. 2 normal size cheap public bathroom paper towels do the trick.

thejenandonly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thejenandonly
fractalVisionz wrote:While wonderful in concept, keeping peoples dirty hands from, well, getting dirtier, they never work.

It is the absolute worst when they flush while you are on it.

I like foot switches, which they don't seem to use much in the US.

I just use my foot on any normal toilet handles. Probably won't be able to in another 30 years, but by then, maybe they will have smartened up and made "wave-to-flush" toilets.

In my experience, all of the "automatic" water devices seem to waste water instead of saving it. They flush before you're done, and don't get everything in one go after you're done. Some sinks turn on with no provocation, or stay on too long, or not long enough.

Etc.

bachrock37

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bachrock37
balisane wrote:I wish more places had the AirBlade dryers. They work great, and it's hilarious to watch people try to figure them out.

Agreed. Clearly 30% of people polled have never put their hands in a dyson airblade.

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime
gradillas33 wrote:People DON'T like automatic sinks?

I *hate* them and am actually shocked that this answer isn't the over-whelming "winner" of the poll.

I have never seen an automatic sink that worked even moderately well. They run for 2 seconds tops and then you can't get them running again no matter how much you flail your hands around in front of the sensor.

I have never once heard a person swear at an hand-blower or automatic paper towel dispense, but nary a week goes buy I don't hear a movie or restaurant patron giving the @#*& automatic sink a dressing down.

die13lda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages die13lda
balisane wrote:I wish more places had the AirBlade dryers. They work great, and it's hilarious to watch people try to figure them out.

bachrock37 wrote:Agreed. Clearly 30% of people polled have never put their hands in a dyson airblade.

I also agree. Those things work like magic.

adamsfamily2011

quality posts: 1 Private Messages adamsfamily2011
die13lda wrote:I also agree. Those things work like magic.

I love those things!! They are magical, like little unicorns on the wall! LOL :-D

psycher1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psycher1

As a Renewable Energy Systems major, I'm inclined to say that this is all a very stupid way to use energy. Even if it isn't much, come now, I can use my hands to pull down a paper towel.

And screw automatic doors. If you have trouble opening a door, you've got more problems than hooking the electrical grid to the door can solve.

vibes4me

quality posts: 3 Private Messages vibes4me

I hate that machine in the bathrooms in Europe that wipes your O&U$($)$ ..It's not very gentle...

dfunkmaster

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dfunkmaster

"Automatic" LIGHTS

Better not be in that stall too long or you might be using that roll of toilet paper to trigger the light sensor.

"Dude, did the power just go out?"
"Nah, bro. That's just our new bathroom technology..."