Staff

Poll: How do you buy music?
  • 23.1% - iTunes 536
  • 25.7% - Amazon 596
  • 12.4% - Record store (Google it, kids) 288
  • 34.3% - You can BUY music? Weird. 794
  • 4.4% - Another way I’ll describe in the comments. 103
2317 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Ignace

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ignace

I generally buy my music now in the form of used CDs, purchased by mail order via interwebs.

Sometimes I'll buy from a store, and I try to support independent 'record' stores, like School Kids Records in Raleigh, NC.

kylefn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kylefn

Spotify ... I haven't "bought" music since I discovered this service.

nelsontrek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nelsontrek

Zune music pass, or I guess they call it Xbox music now. Either way, a subscription service.

sarahyc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sarahyc

Amazon, Google Play, or from my favorite record store, Zia!

lobo81865

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lobo81865

Bittorrent, and then buy the cd if I like it well enough.

atx85

quality posts: 2 Private Messages atx85
kylefn wrote:Spotify ... I haven't "bought" music since I discovered this service.

I'm with you on this one.

However, there were two or three CDs that I really wanted the day they came out and Spotify didn't have them right away. So I purchased via iTunes.

kubsix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kubsix

I always buy physical copies (CD's) when available, which is most of the time. And buy it as close to the band as possible to maximize their benefit, mostly directly from them, their website or merch vendor.

chrispdunning

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrispdunning

I've got a handful of bands that I still buy physical copies for. I built a few frames a while back that I use to display the jewel cases in my office. Most music is iTunes purchases though.

Ouijan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ouijan

Mostly through eMusic. Prices are better, and they have more artists I like (new and old releases) that aren't on iTunes or Amazon.

Buysharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Buysharp

How about "all of the above!" I buy from where ever it's convenient and cheapest. I rip from library copies. I shop at Half Price Books. I shop at a honest to goodness record store. I have an Android phone and a iPod. I buy directly from the artists when I can. I'm very "whatever."

bigbadbikernerd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigbadbikernerd

I buy mine through X Box Music (Formerly Zune). I'm still grandfathered into their old plan of $15 for unlimited downloading and 10 DRM free mp3s per month.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Half Price Books.

Ridge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ridge

FM radio (and artist get paid)

facemeetpavement

quality posts: 0 Private Messages facemeetpavement

emusic

PhilCarr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages PhilCarr

Grandfathered in on Zune software. And the local Vintage Stock. On the rare occasion I listen to music, it's usually Christian music. Since I'm surrounded by the heathen, their Christian music is usually deeply discounted. I can pick up 10 CDs for $10, and chip away at my 30gigs of Zune HD (which is actually filled with audio books...).

I also enjoy the free streaming on Xbox Music that came with my MS Surface tablet.

pukeboy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pukeboy

I get the physical media wherever possible (and rip to FLAC when necessary for portability)

Buying the physical media is like buying fresh squeezed OJ.

Buying mp3 files (or any other non-FLAC format) is like buying OJ that is made from frozen concentrate.

Most people can taste the difference between the two types of OJ but can't hear the difference the compression makes.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Inappropriate and gross post. Deleted multiple times for a reason. 48h

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 48 hours and then try posting again.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Buy CDs directly from the band, paying in cash. Anachronistic, yes, but the Artist gets the money, rather than the thieving "music" companies.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

FarNorth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages FarNorth

Poor Rhapsody didn't make "the list" again. My favorite music source is legit and not a marketing behemoth... so of course it gets ignored.

torturegarden

quality posts: 4 Private Messages torturegarden

I shop at local, independent record stores and buy vinyl whenever possible. If I shop online, I try to buy from the artist or label. If I do need to get something digital, I try to find 24 bit from HDtracks or similar. 16 bits just doesn't cut it anymore. I am down to buying 1-2 CDs a year.

cdxskier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdxskier

I buy used CDs on Amazon and Half, but most downloads are on HDTracks.com. Yes, I am a sound snob

wowamrin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wowamrin

Google Play Music and the good ole CD, depending on where I am at and my mood. But paying the Artist is the way to go.

whatev

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whatev
kylefn wrote:Spotify ... I haven't "bought" music since I discovered this service.

What you said.

sekondborn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sekondborn

OH.... by the way.....
iTUNES SUCKS!!!

entouragevol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages entouragevol

I plead the 5th.

ClaudeCat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ClaudeCat

Spotify.

The DarkSide

quality posts: 0 Private Messages The DarkSide

Cd's from a store, locally.

johnnynismo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnnynismo

...Spotify-4-Life!

procop

quality posts: 1 Private Messages procop
kubsix wrote:I always buy physical copies (CD's) when available, which is most of the time. And buy it as close to the band as possible to maximize their benefit, mostly directly from them, their website or merch vendor.

I'm with you.
It costs $200.000 - $250.000 to produce a CD. Small groups and vocalists scramble to get money for their albums, often relying on donations...

I pity little pilferers and freeloaders stealing from talents.

ug1uk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ug1uk

Lol I don't buy or listen to music. There should have been an option of "I don't listen to music".

globalhavoc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages globalhavoc

I download the mp4 from youtube, and play them on my raspberry pi!

housry23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages housry23

I use Amazon or Google Play Store.

hamunaptra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hamunaptra

http://www.mp3va.com/

@ $.15 per song.

This is only my opinion. I could be wrong.

GeorgeNathaniael

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GeorgeNathaniael

Soundike.com

Legal and very cheap

"In Vicodin, Veritas"

Shinespark

quality posts: 33 Private Messages Shinespark
FarNorth wrote:Poor Rhapsody didn't make "the list" again. My favorite music source is legit and not a marketing behemoth... so of course it gets ignored.

Because it's a DRM-laden service that rents music instead of selling it.

bsmith1

quality posts: 104 Private Messages bsmith1

I'm told there are programs that let you download youtube videos then convert them to mp3s...or so I'm told...

lemminghunter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lemminghunter

I mostly stream, via Nokia Music on my Windows Phone, Pandora is coming...... right....
The service is pretty good, but I haven't found anything as good as Pandora. I like Slacker but it is a battery hog.
If I buy it is normally a physical CD. I will continue buying this way until DRM gets fixed. Everyone is shouting that physical media is dying, but if we let it die without fixing DRM we will all be sorry.

vicemagnet

quality posts: 5 Private Messages vicemagnet
pukeboy wrote:I get the physical media wherever possible (and rip to FLAC when necessary for portability)

Buying the physical media is like buying fresh squeezed OJ.

Buying mp3 files (or any other non-FLAC format) is like buying OJ that is made from frozen concentrate.

Most people can taste the difference between the two types of OJ but can't hear the difference the compression makes.

I'd have to agree with you. I'm not really an audiophile but I can very much tell the difference between the CD and an mp3 of the same song, when I listen to them back-to-back. Since FM radio is good enough for daily listening, so are my mp3 mix CDs. Sadly, my car doesn't have a memory stick port...but my next car will.

Sadly, the Loudness War is ruining how we listen to music. Even classic rock "remastered" CDs fall victim to this practice.