WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: What was your favorite part of AOL?
  • 2.7% - The keywords 37
  • 3.3% - The limited access 45
  • 8% - The exorbitant usage fees 109
  • 21.8% - The sound effects 296
  • 59.7% - The CDs they sent to my house every other day 810
  • 4.4% - Something else (comments!) 59
1356 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

astroliner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages astroliner

Also the chatty rooms. ;)

bnbsouthworth

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bnbsouthworth

I loved the way so many people thought that the AOL intranet was actually all there was.

rprebel

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rprebel

FILE'S DONE!

YOU'VE GOT MAIL!

My favorite part was all the free floppies, including this one I kept in the package.

Philippa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Philippa

Am I the only one who never used AOL?

ChangoMalo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChangoMalo

My job, until they moved it to India

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky

CDs, definitely the CDs. So many jokes made. And I think flinging them around improved my disc golf game.

wingedsurfgirl

quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl

In the early days... Messenger. It was pretty revolutionary.

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee

I never had AOL. But I loved the CDs. They were great for hanging in the fruit trees to keep the birds away .

icthulhu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages icthulhu

What do you mean, "was"?

searchneverend

quality posts: 2 Private Messages searchneverend

what the heck is AOL. i always thought its a virus. Took me hours and hours to remove that junk.

bblhed

quality posts: 9 Private Messages bblhed

I still have an AOL CD in the foil pack in my hiking pack, they can be used as signal mirrors and the foil pack can be used as a cup for water.

If AOL saves one persons life with their CD's it will have been worth it.

philosopherott

quality posts: 3 Private Messages philosopherott

The free floppies and the chat rooms. I was a rambunktious kid.

RichieT

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RichieT

I actually really enjoyed the various intranet content, especially the "random" button...

and.. I remember when I first loaded it..I was mesmerized!

Also, I saved 90% of the floppies & CD's that I got for some reason..now it is a box full..from version 1.0 (which did not have internet, as I remember) on to whatever the version was when they stopped sending them

leigh1957

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leigh1957

My favorite part was the day I cancelled dial up service for DSL.

Buysharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Buysharp
astroliner wrote:Also the chatty rooms. ;)

I was going to say that too! AOL had GREAT chat rooms! They were well organized, easily accessible and well monitored.

Also they had all these niche ... wow, I forget what they called them. Stations? They had one guy called the Minute Novelist. He was great.

hennessy08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hennessy08

Chat rooms

jxwhee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jxwhee

I was crazy into AOL as a youth. I would get into multiple warez groups, go around using phishing programs to try to score access to accounts so I didn't rack up so much money on my own. We used punting programs to force people we didn't like offline. We could bomb chatrooms of rival warez groups. It was a fun and oddly pathetic time.

I still have the one punting program I wrote in visual basic on my computer. I've never brought myself to delete it and have carried it with me in all my builds.

The most popular one of all time was Fate X by Magus and Fungi.

sboa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sboa

I meet my fella in an AOL chat room. :-)

sueseecue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sueseecue
Philippa wrote:Am I the only one who never used AOL?

Nope. I never did, either.

LyricDawnhagen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LyricDawnhagen

For me, the CDs were as useful as their service. What I really loved getting from them were the reusable floppy disks they sent out back when they first started. Back in 1993, those disks were expensive. So getting two or three in the mail was like hitting the jackpot.

cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103

Loved the CDs, used them for drink coasters for years....

hobiekopek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hobiekopek

The CDs were good- especially in the microwave for a few seconds, but my favorite part was the cold screech of my modem as it connected.

MISRy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MISRy

Using an AOL coaster at work right now. It's as much a part of my environment as the autographed picture of Spock.

grover51

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grover51

Nothing
Nada
Zip
Zilch

Didnt even know AOL was still around...

mrsly69

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mrsly69

Oh the 90's. Chat rooms were the rage. 2nd phone line devoted to AOL, so I could pay AOL and Ma Bell hefty fee's for a busy signal and getting kicked off at 28K, then I upgraded to top speed 56K modem. WOW
But the Private rooms. How I miss meeting ladies in the rooms, after hours, days, and weeks, hooking up at a piano bar, singing to Piano Man. Going to her home and waking up to 225lb whale. She did say she modeled, I didn't ask if it was for GREEN PEACE!

YOU GOT MAIL....HOW I miss the 90's. Plus that great movie with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. OH THE 90's.

No wonder I prefered the 80's and my sony walkman and $500 CD player and getting ripped off by the record industry. And 225lbs meant some father chasing you out a window after waking up to chunky but at least hot girl.

Make's me think. Is the IPAD the Sony Walkman of today. Will cheaper alternatives that work just as well be in store for the next 7 years. UMMMM!

jelliebaby

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jelliebaby
sueseecue wrote:Nope. I never did, either.

Nor I.

roadlizard7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadlizard7

Loved all the free coasters.

zollars23

quality posts: 15 Private Messages zollars23

AOL actually had incredibly well made parental controls. You could set up a profile for your kid, and they could only access the AOL Kid's area. Also, they could only chat with people that the parents first allowed in the kid's messenger.

(V) (;,,;) (V) <---Zoidberg

{img]https://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/712b9375-5487-4897-baf4-2212baf8dbca.png[/img]

ladyloerya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladyloerya
ChangoMalo wrote:My job, until they moved it to India

Me too. One of my first jobs. I was 16 when I got hired and loved the job. It was a great company to work for back then (1996). I had my son a year after I started working there and got three months paid vacation!

My favorite part of AOL? The keywords because even if you had no idea what you wanted, keyword RANDOM was your helper - kind of like stumbleUpon these days...

tiler100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiler100

Pointing my finger and saying, AOLamer!

candacemax

quality posts: 1 Private Messages candacemax

the way they would cancel your account when some other jerk decided to use your email address as a spambot

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
philosopherott wrote:The free floppies and the chat rooms. I was a rambunktious kid.

Thanks to AOL I never bought a 3.5 floppy disk in my life. People without computers would get them in the mail and bring me dozens in addition to the ones AOL sent.

dnlkolender

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dnlkolender

Nope, I never have nor do I ever want to. DEATH TO AOL!!!!!!!!
Mwah ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa

dnlkolender

grover51 wrote:Nothing
Nada
Zip
Zilch

Didnt even know AOL was still around...

Or why it still is....

dnlkolender

bblhed wrote:I still have an AOL CD in the foil pack in my hiking pack, they can be used as signal mirrors and the foil pack can be used as a cup for water.

If AOL saves one persons life with their CD's it will have been worth it.

LMAO xD That's so awesome & well put! :p

dnlkolender

ceagee wrote:I never had AOL. But I loved the CDs. They were great for hanging in the fruit trees to keep the birds away .

Like you can really eat all that fruit anyways....

Help a lil' birdie out, all she wants is an even break! :p

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

The way you could always tell a new hire by their @aol.com email address.

LASwager

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LASwager

Ugh, I still can't get my parents to stop using AOL! I say "Look on the internet" and they pull up AOL and they have a broadband connection through the cable modem! Trying to explain to them that they don't need to have AOL open to browse the internet has gone in flames. They cannot be retrained. They did change to the free "plan" as AOL tries to stay relevant.

hamunaptra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hamunaptra

I never had AOL also. I used Juno back then

This is only my opinion. I could be wrong.