quality posts: 87 Private Messages sellbuyer92

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3642 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

2.9 out of 5.0 stars with over 500 reviews at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/NeatDesk-Desktop-Scanner-Digital-Filing/dp/B001CQ8ER2

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 583 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

A lot of Wooters have this. Let's hear from some of you!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

yayobama

quality posts: 12 Private Messages yayobama

started to comment here but got too disorganized

yayobama

quality posts: 12 Private Messages yayobama

This gadget is the one that finally gets me First Sucker status honor. The reviews seem iffy but Anything is better than my heaps of paper strewn into mismatched boxes. Maybe it will just organize me enough to make nicer piles for the silverfish paper eaters to enjoy. New Years Resolution to rid paper clutter: wish me luck, wooters! I'll have my sparse, scantily clad office ready for bikini season come April 15.

Woot Tang Clan

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Woot Tang Clan

I may pickup a NeatDesk because my mom is currently looking for one. I'm a Fujitsu ScanSnap user and swear by it. I'm only considering because it's on Woot now. Any opinions?

mrstinkeye

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrstinkeye
Woot Tang Clan wrote:I may pickup a NeatDesk because my mom is currently looking for one. I'm a Fujitsu ScanSnap user and swear by it. I'm only considering because it's on Woot now. Any opinions?

Which Fujitsu ScanSnap model do you have?

After reading reviews on other sites for both the NeatDesk and the ScanSnap I'm leaning toward the ScanSnap.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1070 Private Messages whatsamattaU

As noted, this has been discussed (including vs. the Fujitsu) and sold at the same $249.99 ad nauseum. Here are a few examples, including January:
http://tech.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5300854

with my quick comment from then:
"The reason you might buy this is because of the proprietary software, with its pluses and minuses (but can create pdf's of documents/receipts) including creating your virtual filing cabinets within the software's limitations, including tax-related categories."

november:
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5243594

and proof of multiple sales (I believe the older you pick, the more comments for 2012):
http://mywoot.net/past/search.php?question=neatdesk+desktop

Bye

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl

"In 99.9% of uses, this doesn't: upload your scanned documents to a secret file server located in the former Soviet republic of Moldova."

this made my day.

pfffft!

lichme

quality posts: 3000 Private Messages lichme

I don't have enough stuff to scan in to justify owning this, however when I did mess around with one, I found it to be better than I thought it would. It worked surprisingly well.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple

If you're a scanning hound then spending this kind of money on a dedicated device might make sense (the software really can make a big difference depending on what you do), however...

If you already print a fair amount, don't forget many printers can be had that have acceptable if not wonderful, even duplex built-in scanners and you might already have one. (We happen to have really excellent experience with Brother multifunction devices. )

Another option: your smart phone + Evernote app (amazing brain dump app) + Genius Scan app. Your camera becomes the scanner and GC has cropping, parallax correction, etc...

mrjump

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrjump

Bought one a couple of weeks ago on ShopNBC. Great price here, I had the portable one and just had to many problems. really like the desktop scanner and software. Need it to keep track of business receipts, took a while to get to used to it. But, very good now

joemedic37

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joemedic37

Got this during a December Woot!, I think. It's ok for scanning stuff to .pdf format, but if using it for tax purposes be careful. More than 1/2 of the receipts I scan come up wrong. The dates and amounts aren't reliably read by the scanner and you start submitting receipts that appear from the wrong decade.
Neat has a warranty, but not for the OCR. That is software based.
Scanning us easy, but there are products on the market for much less that do the same thing.
Happy Wooting.

colbytitus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages colbytitus

Let's see..... I spent $80 for an all-in-one with wifi, a scanner, printer, fax & copier. I can easily scan things into whatever folder, including any financial software, I want and the flatbed allows me to copy multiple receipts onto one page. It also has a usb 7 SD port so I can put them on a thumb drive or card.
I really don't see a $250 value here and it would also add another device to my desk.

jessmeyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jessmeyer

I bought this the last time it was offered on Woot. Got it, set it up, thought all was good to go and while the software worked great, the scanner did not. It may be because I got a refurbished dud, but the scanner would not make legible scans and you could not read the receipt copies I was scanning. Woot was great about letting me return it and I have since gotten a new Doxie One scanner for $100 less then the refurbished NeatDesk and LOVE it!!!!

cf

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cf

I really do need a scanner, the one that is included with my hp multi-function does not work, but this seems a little bit expensive for me. I really won't be using it that often once I get through the stuff I currently have lying around.

tlapin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tlapin
ThunderThighs wrote:A lot of Wooters have this. Let's hear from some of you!

I have the portable scanner. It worked great until the software was "upgraded" to 5.0 last year. Since then it's been a disaster for me and many other users. Check the Neat support forums before you buy this.

muroo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages muroo

There's currently a model of the Scansnap (1300i) on sale at Newegg through today for the same price. It doesn't handle as many sheets, but it can be USB powered, which I think is cool.

robgendreau

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robgendreau

Meh. Pass.

I looked at these in the past, and went instead with a Canon P-150 (now it's the P-215 I think). About $275 and NOT a refurb.

The Canon is super portable; in fact it runs off any USB port and doesn't even need AC. Canon's software is great, and updated frequently (Mac user). Scanning speeds are hard to compare ("up to"??) but look similar. It's very easy to use, and works with all kinds of paper. I use Evernote a lot for receipts; their OCR beats anything I've used except Abbyy's products. It's also TWAIN compatible, so you can use it with all kinds of other software (on the Mac I recommend Yep or DevonThink's products).

At least take a look at the reviews of the Canon (or Fujitsu) stuff first, before you plunge on this if you want a scanner.

But who does paper anymore anyway? If you have a smartphone just get JotNot or Prizmo or just Evernote and take a picture of the receipt. Costs a couple bucks (free with Evernote) and works just as well, if not better (the phone apps allow instant manipulation for skewing, etc, and you can change lighting and for single page stuff it's faster than scanning.

Bandrik

quality posts: 76 Private Messages Bandrik

SHORT VERSION

I have this. I also have a similar scanner (Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500). They're both good, for their own reasons.

This scanner is expensive mostly because of the included "Neat" software suite that stores and organizes your documents. Many bad reviews hated it in the past, but the newest version fixes a lot of the complaints, and I like it now.

I recommend it, thought he ScanSnap may be better for you.

LONG VERSION

I'll copy this from the last time this item was up, as my opinion is unchanged.

In my war on paper clutter, I have purchased all scanners mentioned above, including this one, the Neat mobile scanner, a Epson flatbed scanner, and the ScanSnap S1500. Here's a comparison, a "strategy guide" if you will.

In my opinion, all are great, and I actually use them all. Just depends on what I want to do.

ScanSnap is best for general documents, especially if you make them OCR-read PDFs (this lets you search documents for specific words, etc). It will auto-feed a whole stack of documents, and ask for more. It does scan both sides at once (duplex scan). Not good for photos or thick documents.

Neat Mobile works nice, especially for its portability. Runs off of USB power. But its slow to pull documents through, and you have to hand-feed each sheet. It uses the Neat software to store, manage, and search for your documents. Some like it, others don't. But you can always just scan to vanilla PDF files.

Neat Desktop (this item) is a hybrid of the previous two. It is good for general documents, and it will auto-feed like the ScanSnap. Still uses the Neat software, like or hate it. Does duplex (both sides) scan. Not as fast or good as the ScanSnap, but it is cheaper.

Flatbed scanner: good for high-quality scanning for photos, larger documents, or thick documents. But its super slow.

Hope that helps you select what is best for you. Again, I use them all, each for their strengths. "Right tool for the right job". Overkill? Sure. But works for me.

KarenMarie

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KarenMarie
ThunderThighs wrote:A lot of Wooters have this. Let's hear from some of you!

I own this.
It does what is says it will do. It scans fast, either one or both sides. The actual filing software is very vanilla. It works but is boring, that matters to me but might not to anyone else.

I wanted to install and run it from an external drive but that is not possible. I must install the software on any machine I want to use this with and just back up on an external.

If you have a stack of old docs you would like to get rid of, this is a nice place to store them before shredding. The IRS accepts it, so it is ok fro a business use.

Amazon gives it a 2.9 out of 5 and that is just about how high I would go.

squidalarm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages squidalarm

Inquiry: mentioned earlier this uses proprietary software, does that mean either of the following:
1) software works with this scanner, as well as other branded scanners;
2) hardware and software are married together, period.

Bandrik

squidalarm wrote:Inquiry: mentioned earlier this uses proprietary software, does that mean either of the following:
1) software works with this scanner, as well as other branded scanners;
2) hardware and software are married together, period.

Close.

The scanner has TWAIN drivers available, so you can use the scanner with other software suites (PhotoShop, etc).

BUT.

Last time I checked, the software ONLY works with official Neat scanners (I believe there are only 2 different ones; this big NeatDesk scanner, and the smaller handheld portable scanner). Unless there's a hack through this, there is no way around it (please correct me if I'm wrong).

SO

If you just want the scanner, then great. You can use it for multiple things (even just making plain PDF files that anything can view).

If you just want the software, well... you need an official Neat scanner, too.

dagatorman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dagatorman

So will stores take digitized/copy of an actual receipt for merchandise return? It's a nice concept but I don't want to scan my receipts for something I bought and 28 days later, I need to take the crap back to the store so I print out a scanned copy of the receipt.. will the store balk at it? anyone? anyone?

kate31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kate31
bluemaple wrote:If you're a scanning hound then spending this kind of money on a dedicated device might make sense (the software really can make a big difference depending on what you do), however...

If you already print a fair amount, don't forget many printers can be had that have acceptable if not wonderful, even duplex built-in scanners and you might already have one. (We happen to have really excellent experience with Brother multifunction devices. )

Another option: your smart phone + Evernote app (amazing brain dump app) + Genius Scan app. Your camera becomes the scanner and GC has cropping, parallax correction, etc...

I use my smart phone for all my scanning. There are several excellent apps like DocScan, Scanner Mini and OneReceipt. You can fax, sort, and backup your papers.
Evernote is wonderful, but I file mine within the apps.
Easy to backup. Hard to remember to do it.

Bandrik

dagatorman wrote:So will stores take digitized/copy of an actual receipt for merchandise return? It's a nice concept but I don't want to scan my receipts for something I bought and 28 days later, I need to take the crap back to the store so I print out a scanned copy of the receipt.. will the store balk at it? anyone? anyone?

Hopefully you'll see this, even though the deal is over.

Here's what I've heard. I'm told that most modern shopping areas (Wal-mart, Target, JC Penny, etc) will happily accept copied/printed receipts, as their system stores that stuff for quite a while. All they need is that barcode or some other transaction ID to look up.

However, with larger-ticket (over $200) items, it's better safe than sorry. In fact, I keep those receipts in the object's original box after scanning, so it's there if I need it (and doesn't get lost).

So yes, you can (most likely) scan and trash your receipts. But if you have any doubts or have an expensive item, keep the receipt just in case.