4%
12%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wire

Great laptop but I usually buy these off the Dell Outlet store with a coupon for less. Much less.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I think it's worth pointing out that this is a business-grade laptop, not consumer. So you're getting a sturdy build meant to take the abuse of being carried around a lot.

It also has a dock connector that you can't get on consumer level laptops. (Dock not included.)

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

seventhmold

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seventhmold

I have used it and can back up the sturdy comments. Actually had one that had coffee spilled on it. Quick power down, remove power, pull battery, HD, and CD drive to let it dry out. Started it up the next day and it is still running now. Not top of the line for personal use (i.e. best movie/game graphics and sound), but it does have the build to last you several years for any basic user.

birdoprey5

quality posts: 11 Private Messages birdoprey5

Terrible resolution, poor everything else for the price, AND refurbished? This is the worst deal I've seen on a laptop on woot in a long time. Even at $200 less I'd still not think this was a good deal.

DarthVukster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DarthVukster

Even taking into account $100 for Windows Pro (which most home users don't need), I think it is still close to $100 over priced (if you shop around).

9/26/2012 Remington King of Shaves Kit
6/26/2012 Battery Charger with 8 Batteries
6/26/2012 Waterproof Footballs 2-Pack
11/28/2011 TomTom XXL 550 5-Inch GPS with IQ Routes & Premium Maps
4/24/2011 Panasonic 12MP Digital Camera with Leica 12x Optical Zoom & HD Video
4/12/2011 Topsy Turvy Upside Down Tomato Planter – 2 Pack
4/7/2011 Garmin nüvi 4.3" GPS with Speech Recognition and Lane Assist
3/1/2011 Intec Wii Nunchuk Controller Twin Pack – Black
2/11/2011 Wii Controller with Wave Remote and Nunchuk Controller
12/2/2010 Zyclone Zing Ring Blaster
10/19/2010 Koss Custom Fit Noise Isolating Earbuds – 2 Pack
10/1/2010 Sandisk Sansa Fuze 4GB Media Player
9/17/2008 JVC MiniDV Camcorder with 34x Optical Zoom and Dual Recording
6/24/2008 Starbrite Hi-Gloss 4×6 Photo Paper 20 Sheets – 5 Pack
1/22/2008 Sandisk 512MB MP3 Player with FM Tuner - 2 Pack

elrond541

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elrond541
wire wrote:Great laptop but I usually buy these off the Dell Outlet store with a coupon for less. Much less.

What is the dell outlet site and where do you get the coupons?

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver

I have to agree on the overpriced part. While it is comparing apples to oranges, I picked up an HP Envy with an A10 4600, 8GB, 750GB HDD 15.6" for the same price new in December with 0% for 24 months for the same price.

I personally don't like Dell Laptops as I have had issues with them in the past. For desktops, Dells are great. For laptops, I prefer HP or Toshy. Sony is overpriced and Acer gives you the best value, but build quality is suspect.

The dock helps, but I don't use many peripherals and haven't worn out a monitor connector in my 10 years of portable computing.

It isn't a terrible deal, just not what I would expect from woot.

ladytyphoid

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ladytyphoid
ThunderThighs wrote:I think it's worth pointing out that this is a business-grade laptop, not consumer. So you're getting a sturdy build meant to take the abuse of being carried around a lot.

It also has a dock connector that you can't get on consumer level laptops. (Dock not included.)

This.

It has things like a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) that allows for on-board use of Bitlocker (otherwise you'd need an SD card or something to store the key on). Consumer models do not have this.

It is sturdier and will have better support than consumer models.

You would buy this machine if you wanted something reliable, not something to game on. However it's also going to be heavier, so there's that.

Gatesay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gatesay

Dell Latitudes are great notebooks. I have been using them for over 12 years. My latest and the one I'm typing this on right now is about 4 years old and still going strong. I've always bought Latitudes because they seem to be a bit more rugged and have the docking station. Currently I have 9 devices plugged into it including dual DVI monitors. Make for a very clean setup and I can easily pop it out and hit the road.
Latitudes do tend to cost a bit more but I think they are worth it. I paid over $1200 for my current one (on sale).

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple

Not appropriate to compare this laptop to what you'll find at your local Staples or Walmart. This is a Dell business grade laptop - much sturdier than consumer models.

If you don't appreciate the benefits of a business grade laptop then you won't want to pay the premium price. Even for a bus. grade laptop, as a refurb this seems just a bit over-priced. (knowing what a decent buyer pays for these laptops in bulk)

Pluses in these specs:
- decent CPU
- dedicated video memory
- Bluetooth
- USB 3.0
- Windows 7 Professional
- docking connector built-in so that if you use external accessories and go on the road a lot, when home you can leave all those accessories connected to the dock and simply dock the laptop and be in business. Even charges thru the dock. (docking station not included)

Edit:
FYI, even watching the Staples sales, if you want similar specs in a consumer grade model laptop (no dock), you'll have a really hard time breaking below $500-600 new. Apparently this has a Dell 1yr warranty.

ike0069

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ike0069

Scheduled to receive this laptop today from my comapny as my "new" work computer. The docking station connection is a must and is WELL worth the extra money for someone that takes their laptop with them daily and returns each evening to use it at home.

For a personal lap top, I agree it's way overpriced; but as pointed out, it's a business laptop and should be reviewed as such.

mcahren

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mcahren

I've been using this as my work machine for about a year now. Mine has the same processor, 8GM of RAM, and a 1TB HDD. IMO, it's not as nice as the prior generation of Latitude (the more "square" model).

The display hinge is spongy.
The finish scratches easily (mine looks like hell).
It's physically heavier than the prior gen with the same screen size and battery type.

Everyone in my office who has this model has complained about the battery life. I'm only getting ~90 minutes even on the Max Batt setting in power options. That's pathetic!

This machine just feels big, heavy, and clunky to me.

The only improvement over my last Latitude is the backlit keyboard.

Performance is fine, I use a lot of java developer tools, and install a ton of app clients, and it's acceptable. Nothing really good or bad to say. It's a computer. About the same as my last Latitude.

TonytheEE

quality posts: 5 Private Messages TonytheEE

I use the i7 version of this PC for work (I got it free, so I won't comment on the value too much), and it's great. I actually wish mine had the USB 3.0 port. This Bad Boy is extremely rugged. I've thrown it around in my backpack every day for over a year (I'm a good employee, I swear). As far as gaming goes, It's not a skyrim machine, but Portal 2 and TF2 play great on medium settings.
Being a business laptop, it is made for all day computing. The hand rests never get hot, nor does the bottom, so the "Lap-ness" is good. The sound is pretty weak on the speakers, but the addition of a bluetooth speaker is easy with the built-in BT. Battery life is 4+ hrs with moderate use (Programming while listening to music on headphones.)
If you are doing something serious with your laptop, and want dependability, this is great, but if you are looking for a gaming and media machine, look elsewhere.

zkentvt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zkentvt
elrond541 wrote:What is the dell outlet site and where do you get the coupons?

Not sure about the coupons but the Dell Outlet is at http://www.dell.com/content/segmenter.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dfo (http://outlet.dell.com will redirect you there). They are basically refurbs or scratch-and-dent products that people have returned or got dinged up in production.

bigapplebookworm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigapplebookworm
wire wrote:Great laptop but I usually buy these off the Dell Outlet store with a coupon for less. Much less.

Where do you get the coupons from?

bigapplebookworm

bacjuan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bacjuan
auctionsaver wrote:I have to agree on the overpriced part. While it is comparing apples to oranges, I picked up an HP Envy with an A10 4600, 8GB, 750GB HDD 15.6" for the same price new in December with 0% for 24 months for the same price.

I personally don't like Dell Laptops as I have had issues with them in the past. For desktops, Dells are great. For laptops, I prefer HP or Toshy. Sony is overpriced and Acer gives you the best value, but build quality is suspect.

The dock helps, but I don't use many peripherals and haven't worn out a monitor connector in my 10 years of portable computing.

It isn't a terrible deal, just not what I would expect from woot.

Ohh my...I have the inverted opinion (which is actually fact) that Dell is far superior to HP. Nothing but problems with every single HP laptop I've seen. We've used Dell laptops here at work forever and I liken them to Toyota Tacoma reliability.

bacjuan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bacjuan

Everyone is talking about this not being a good deal, yet, I haven't seen anyone actually POST a link to a better deal that they've apparantely "shopped around" and found. LIES!

This IS a great deal.

hidavi

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hidavi

My only beef with this laptop is that the display hinges have to be tightened every 3 months. The screws are extremely easy to access, but its annoying to have to do this. Just seems embarrassing.

I know someone with this laptop. They got it 6 months ago refurb'd with a 2 year onsite repair warranty, 1080p screen for $800. Her's has an Intel GPU though, not NVidia.

I would never buy a non-commercial level laptop. Its HP ProBook, Lenovo, Dell Insipiron, or GO HOME.

Anyone who brags about having bought a Pavilion or Inpsiron with the same specs for cheaper doesn't know the headache they bought themselves...

subether

quality posts: 3 Private Messages subether

For what it's worth, the same spec'd machine new via Dell's configurator is ~$1018 plus shipping brand new- this configuration can still be had as new, which explains why the refurb is a bit more then what most people might be expecting. Their outlet store has models with this same base spec for $770 on up. I'm calling it a fair deal?

Also FWIW, I had a positively ancient D600 that continues to soldier on well past it's normal retirement time.

amlechner82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amlechner82
subether wrote:For what it's worth, the same spec'd machine new via Dell's configurator is ~$1018 plus shipping brand new- this configuration can still be had as new, which explains why the refurb is a bit more then what most people might be expecting. Their outlet store has models with this same base spec for $770 on up. I'm calling it a fair deal?

Also FWIW, I had a positively ancient D600 that continues to soldier on well past it's normal retirement time.

Actually the one on Dell's website for $1018 has the I3 processor, this has the I5 processor. I have used this laptop at work for the last year and a half. I'm a CPA so it gets used and abused. In terms of using it commercially, it's a workhorse. I came to look at the reviews to see what people had to say before I move forward and make this purchase. I tell you from direct experience, this thing just plain works. I have it docked with a dual monitor setup, which I plan to do at home as well, so I haven't had the hinge issues, nor do I see the resolution being a problem. I'm not expecting blue ray LED TV quality from this thing, anyone that is doesn't understand why Dell builds this machine.

Hoser768

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Hoser768

This is a current model you can still buy today. I bought a new one a month ago for much more (but it did have an E-port dock and 7 Ultimate.)

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
I use an E6410 at work and I also have a D600 at home that seems to be near indestructable.

Listen to me now, or hear me say "I told you so" later.

k87

quality posts: 2 Private Messages k87
bluemaple wrote:Apparently this has a Dell 1yr warranty.

If someone is anti-Dell for some reason, there is also another brilliantly quiet (and brilliantly lackluster) sale going on for 14" HP EliteBook for a seemingly lackluster $675 out of stock on NewEgg Business.

Agentbolt

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Agentbolt

Has anyone here ever owned one of the countless billions of Dell Latitude DXXX laptops out there? This is the current-gen version of those. You're going to get similar build quality, ergonomics, etc...

Keep in mind the GPU is barely going to outpace even the integrated HD4000 for games, that GPU is meant for CAD and other business uses. I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to recommend this laptop, if you want to game at ALL, your 700 bucks is much better spent on a different model, but it's overkill for "surf and email" types.

Basically if you have a job where you really NEED a bulletproof, road-ready laptop for business uses, your job can probably score you a better deal than this. Otherwise better options are out there for the consumer.

kingnothing86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kingnothing86

So I know this is a business grade laptop but if you are looking for a consumer model with similar specs, go to Best Buy and search Asus K55.
It is only $449 brand new and you get an Intel i5, 500gb harddrive, 4gb ram, two usb 3 ports and one usb 2 ports, and DVD rw drive. You don't get an nvidia graphics card but it's an awesome laptop for the price. I just bought my dad one and I'm jealous.