realitybytez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages realitybytez

tomorrow's woot: refurbished buggy whips.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

Really woot?

$3 more gets you this:

TP-LINK TL-WN722N Wireless N150 High Gain USB Adapter, 150Mbps, w/4 dBi High Gain Detachable Antenna, IEEE 802.11b/g/n, WEP, WPA/WPA2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Wireless+Adapters-_-N82E16833704045&gclid=COC5s5CCnbUCFQKoPAoddTkAXw

this is the 1st deal I found- there are probably 100 other better deals out there. This is hardware from like 2002.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
ThunderThighs wrote:

We've always sold out-of-date electronics stuff.

Usually the older electronics are for a great price (I'd jump on these at 2.99 each). I used to always buy three when I first joined woot! and lots of older electronics component stuff would come up for better prices than local retail. (I see switches, mice, etc. in my order history).

ktrenholm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ktrenholm
kingofthekongo wrote:Would this kind of thing work for older Xboxes without wireless?

Doubtful.
I know the 360 at least will only work with their specific adapter in order to make you purchase their (incredibly overpriced =P) one.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

When will woot be selling this?

PS- I actually owned one of these as a kid

eightyone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eightyone

I had one of these. I would get very hot very quickly, and failed within one month.

aaron6175

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aaron6175

No WPA2 support is asking for trouble

Recent Woots
04-30-2011: cy-fi Wireless Sport Speaker
04-01-2011: Big Orphaned Cetacea!
06-01-2010: Aquaglobes 4-pack
02-05-2010: ATI TV Wonder HDTV PCIe Tuner Card
01-23-2010: Sunkist 2 x 2 lb Bag of Pistachios

Smokeandlights

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Smokeandlights

I worked for a cable company a while back and we sold these to the customers who bought the wireless internet package.

I have never seen a piece of hardware fail as often as this and the netgear modem/wifi router combos. seriously, it's ridiculous how often these fail. They are terrible. Light a $10 bill on fire, and the excitement will last longer than these, and you won't have to pay shipping charges!

jlwilhel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlwilhel

Netgear wg111v2 supported packet injection and worked great on backtrack. Forums say that the v3 will work as well.

NewspaperCrane

quality posts: 10 Private Messages NewspaperCrane

I think I bought three of these forever ago. We used it to rig up a ridiculously complex system of USB extension cables, cantennas, and repeaters to get Wifi into my friend's shed. Turns out if we'd just bought a better adapter, it wouldn't have been nearly as complex, or unreliable.

I miss me some wootTV.

hexnut

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hexnut

Not sure if drivers are available, (I'll bet yes) but this might be a nice addition to a Raspberry Pi.
Also,
I wooted an SMC USB draft N adapter a while back for $6.99 to go with my SMC draft N router and usb wireless draft N adapter which I had previously wooted for $19.99. All still work great.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Some time back I bought a Sony Blue-Ray DVD player that was supposed to get Netflix, etc. wirelessly. Didn't read the fine print and found I had to buy a $90 Sony USB receiver. Anyone know of a cheaper alternative...probably not this one, right?

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

rockinmindless

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockinmindless
rcm1301 wrote:Be aware, it is only up to speeds of 54Mbps, whihc means it will actually performs about 30. That is old fashion dial up speed!!

Um no. Dial up speeds were Kbps. 30Mbps is faster than the Cable internet that I have. What are you talking about?

jtyson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtyson

Save yourself some time and trouble and get the Medialink 150Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter for $14.99!

colbinator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages colbinator
Kerig wrote:I have one of those forsaken Tivo Series 2 units with a lifetime service, but I'm still not sure whether this device would work with it. From Tivo support it looks like I would need to know the serial number of the adapter.
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/405#L2
How the would I find that out before buying one?

Risky - you'd at least need more info to be sure. It's not on TiVo's safe list, but another website said of the WG111US series:

Any adapters that don't start with WG72 or 130, such as WG16, WG41, 165 or 1AC, are NOT compatible.

Another guy who bought a random WG111US said explicitly it did NOT work with his TiVo S2, so mixed results there.

(I also have S2s around and have had some of these adapters fail, so grabbing a couple for $10 would be a nice backup)

achoo5000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages achoo5000

Go for this instead, smaller, cheaper, and N-wireless.

I use one on a Raspberry Pi and it works great.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10501&cs_id=1050108&p_id=8072&seq=1&format=2

dfunkmaster

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dfunkmaster
hexnut wrote:Not sure if drivers are available, (I'll bet yes) but this might be a nice addition to a Raspberry Pi.
Also,
I wooted an SMC USB draft N adapter a while back for $6.99 to go with my SMC draft N router and usb wireless draft N adapter which I had previously wooted for $19.99. All still work great.

I got the SMC N router as well. Think I picked up three of them for about $25 total and the one I use everyday still works great. I believe I picked up a few of the N adapters as well and used those for clients. If I remember correctly, those N adapters were super cheap as well. And that was two years ago...now THAT was a deal.

I'm surprised this Netgear piece is the main product on tech today. (As is everyone else, apparently)

C'mon Woot!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1NwW3GCn7k

rtoungate

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rtoungate
kingofthekongo wrote:Would this kind of thing work for older Xboxes without wireless?

No, the Original Xbox does't have USB. The front controller ports are USB 1.0, but has a propritary plug made for Xbox controllers only. Even if you had an adapter for them, the controller ports won't recognize network streams. The only thing that will work will be direct connect to a router into the network port using a RJ-45 cable. There are two wireless network adapters if you can find them. Microsoft had one and d-link made one for awhile, but is discontinued now.

http://www.dlink.com/us/en/support/product/dgl-3420-wireless-108ag-gaming-adapter

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-R86-00001-Wireless-G-Xbox-Adapter/dp/B0000C5FMJ

stuey2180

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stuey2180

So, in reading some other reviews I noticed that the adapter has some problems connection to wifi connections. I'm talking with Netgear to try to solve my issue and I'm being told that my warranty has expired b/c the unit with my s/n was actually purchased on July 1, 2011. Not Feb 4, 2013 when I purchases it from WOOT. Can someone explain this to me????

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

stuey2180 wrote:So, in reading some other reviews I noticed that the adapter has some problems connection to wifi connections. I'm talking with Netgear to try to solve my issue and I'm being told that my warranty has expired b/c the unit with my s/n was actually purchased on July 1, 2011. Not Feb 4, 2013 when I purchases it from WOOT. Can someone explain this to me????

Sorry for the problems with the warranty. Email support@woot.com and explain what's going on. They should be able to figure something out or offer another option.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders