2%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

GURABoy

quality posts: 10 Private Messages GURABoy

No doubt this works fine, but are there many -- or any? -- computers in operation now that don't have built-in wireless capability?

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3658 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Over a hundred reviews that are just so-so (2.9 out of 5.0)over at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WG111-Wireless-Adapter-Mbps/dp/B0001LS0ZU

shafferbrandon

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shafferbrandon
GURABoy wrote:No doubt this works fine, but are there many -- or any? -- computers in operation now that don't have built-in wireless capability?

Er.....mine? :/

lichme

quality posts: 3016 Private Messages lichme
GURABoy wrote:No doubt this works fine, but are there many -- or any? -- computers in operation now that don't have built-in wireless capability?

Coming from a former tech support job, you'd be surprised how many people are still running older machines that want to set up a home network. If nothing else, it's cheap enough to buy one for the "just in case" factor.

btalarczyk

quality posts: 3 Private Messages btalarczyk

Seriously? Um.....Wow! Are we in some time warp?

***Slowly shakes head in disbelief***

kingofthekongo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kingofthekongo

Would this kind of thing work for older Xboxes without wireless?

StanleyS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages StanleyS

I have 2 desktops that don't have built-in wireless; one is connected by ethernet cable to my router, the other is in another room and I use this very adapter to give it internet access.

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou

When you're refurbishing a computer (which I do for fun and profit) these will let you access the internet, BEFORE you get all your drivers installed.

You can access Windows Update, or the hardware company's website, to find those drivers, using these.

Also, adding one of these to an IBM T23, will give you a still viable laptop, even though it's only a P///.

steve

rmeden

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rmeden

Got a few of these years ago from Woot.

It works, but not very well. The one on my media center kept overheating.. removing the plastic cover helped.... still not as good as the router (in client mode) I have there now.

Worth $10 if you need occasional use, but if I were buying, I'd spend a little more on a newer 802.11N model.

Robert

sebringguy00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sebringguy00
btalarczyk wrote:Seriously? Um.....Wow! Are we in some time warp?

Agreed. I bought 2 WG111T wireless G sticks that looked exactly like these back in March of '08 for 8 dollars each. Granted, mine are refurbs, but I found this offering from Woot a little amusing. I seem to recall (my refurbs) getting hot and dropping the signal often enough that I eventually bought something else, but those details escape me at this time, 5 years later.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
lichme wrote:Coming from a former tech support job, you'd be surprised how many people are still running older machines that want to set up a home network. If nothing else, it's cheap enough to buy one for the "just in case" factor.

As a current IT guy, I agree, but the problem is that you can get Wireless N (Draft 150)shorter form factor adapters for $6.99 refurbished or the same price new.

You can get ones with high gain external antennas for the same price.

You can get Wireless N 300M (Non Slim) $12.99.

Yes, these are not Netgear branded, they are Tenda, however I have had no problems with Tenda devices and have returned more Netgear switches and routers than any other brand.

This just really isn't a good deal on dated technology.

btalarczyk

wrote:Seriously? Um.....Wow! Are we in some time warp?

This is my visual representation that Woot has finally jumped the shark.

wham

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wham
btalarczyk wrote:Seriously? Um.....Wow! Are we in some time warp?

$60 list price - lol...

Think I'll hold out for the wireless B adapter that Woot is bound to offer.

ychia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ychia

Agreed, for $5 more you can get a wireless-N USB adapter that's better in every way.

rmeden wrote:Got a few of these years ago from Woot.

It works, but not very well. The one on my media center kept overheating.. removing the plastic cover helped.... still not as good as the router (in client mode) I have there now.

Worth $10 if you need occasional use, but if I were buying, I'd spend a little more on a newer 802.11N model.

Robert

bhiga

quality posts: 18 Private Messages bhiga
kingofthekongo wrote:Would this kind of thing work for older Xboxes without wireless?

Most likely not, it would need a driver, and even if it somehow managed to recognize it, would it actually use it?

I have this particular model from a long time ago. This model has no WPA support, so I agree with the others that much better can be had for not much more.

The only good reason to get this model would be if you have some kind of non-computer device that specifically requires and supports this particular model. For example, before TiVo came out with their own wireless adapter, Series 2 TiVo units could only use specific wired and wireless adapters.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1070 Private Messages whatsamattaU
btalarczyk wrote:This is my visual representation that Woot has finally jumped the shark.

Edit: $9.99 tonight. I'll let you decide if it's worth it, but if you're going to buy this/not sure, this may help.

Product pages:
http://store.netgear.com/store/netgear/en_US/pd/ThemeID.17545600/productID.121236600

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wireless-adapters/simplesharing/wg111.aspx#

Support page:
http://support.netgear.com/product/WG111v1

including manual:
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/wg111_user_manual.pdf

and installation guide:
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/wg111_install_guide.pdf

and if we're going to have a debate on how woot is versus before, let's go back to September 2009:

http://www.woot.com/offers/scarface-wall-clock

Flashkill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Flashkill

I have the wireless N version of this and it works great and only cost me $13 refurbished on ebay at least 3 years ago. This thing is only wireless G standard, it is not worth it even if you got free shipping. do some research and find better products.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

btalarczyk wrote:This is my visual representation that Woot has finally jumped the shark.

We've always sold out-of-date electronics stuff.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ap210

quality posts: 48 Private Messages ap210

These are good in a pinch if your integrated wifi-adapter gets hosed in your laptop or you are still using a really old laptop that doesn't have a built-in wifi.

1. 11/6Rmba
  2. 11/13Scba
  3. 11/16LtchWlssSystm
  4. 11/16Gmbrdg
  5. 11/16SnDskPlyr
  6. 11/16UFO
  7. 11/16LtchWlssHdphns"lbl fll ff"
  8. 11/17LtchXbxhdst
  9. 11/173xLkFrg
  10. 11/25iPdShfflClck
  11. 12/62xBpMntrs
  12. 12/133xNxs25XM

ckart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ckart

Sorry Woot, I love ya, but this is just not worthwhile. Nothing against you, just trying to make sure the people are aware that there are plenty of other ten dollar adapters out there that work just fine. AND they use b/g/n. I does not recommend.

Oh and not to mention they has free shipping. :O I'm sorry Woot. Don't hate me for helping the people!

Loeb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Loeb

Why would anyone buy anything less than Wireless "N" these days.

andyvphil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andyvphil
theguruguys wrote:...the problem is that you can get Wireless N (Draft 150)shorter form factor adapters for $6.99 refurbished or the same price new...

Not saying Woot's is a good deal (particularly with shipping), but the refurb you link to is in-store pickup only. If you're in California, only in Tustin.

v3xed

quality posts: 1 Private Messages v3xed

Strongly suggest avoiding this!

1.wont work with xbox/ps3 etc. Requires software installation
2. Personal experience. Mine usually held a signal for between 10 and 120 minutes before being rendered worthless for at least an hour. I think it was an overheating issue but never really nailed it down. Just a convenient sounding POS

halnwheels

quality posts: 9 Private Messages halnwheels

Woot offered not to long ago, a device that would work by connecting to the LAN port of an XBOX or whatever, giving wireless access. As everyone else days, this won't work.

bhiga wrote:Most likely not, it would need a driver, and even if it somehow managed to recognize it, would it actually use it?

I have this particular model from a long time ago. This model has no WPA support, so I agree with the others that much better can be had for not much more.

The only good reason to get this model would be if you have some kind of non-computer device that specifically requires and supports this particular model. For example, before TiVo came out with their own wireless adapter, Series 2 TiVo units could only use specific wired and wireless adapters.

btalarczyk

ThunderThighs wrote:

Come on now, You know I love ya TT but this isn't last years Roomba model. Woot is going 4-5 years back with this plus the price of $14.99 with shipping......For this device? Any internet search would reveal much superior products for the same, if not cheaper price.

Sorry TT but to use a phrase that was popular 4-5 years ago.....This is an Epic Fail!

rill2503456

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rill2503456

I have never known a netgear product to be worth more than ...nothing, I think?

Seriously, netgear is just crap. You can get a decent brand's USB Wireless N adapter (not G, mind you) from competing websites for ~$20, shipped.

Kerig

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Kerig
bhiga wrote:For example, before TiVo came out with their own wireless adapter, Series 2 TiVo units could only use specific wired and wireless adapters.

I have one of those forsaken Tivo Series 2 units with a lifetime service, but I'm still not sure whether this device would work with it. From Tivo support it looks like I would need to know the serial number of the adapter.
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/405#L2
How the would I find that out before buying one?

rosweed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rosweed

In my experience, Netgear products will not work if you're running Windows 8.

lotusstp

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lotusstp

I came here to say this. Plus, this is an 802.11G adapter. This is very old tech... I'd expect to see this given away with a secret decoder ring in a Captain Crunch box, not sold for a total of $14.99 ($9.99 & $5.00 shipping) on Woot!

After conducting a quick search I find over 20 N adapters on a popular tech shopping site that are all under $15.00. While there's no Netgear among them, there is a plethora of different types available.

Robert

yakovmeir

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yakovmeir

NO WPA. This is worthless.

MITCHELLWOOT

quality posts: 4 Private Messages MITCHELLWOOT

Purchased a few of these a couple of years ago. All of them overheated, would loose connection and eventually failed.

mrtuba9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrtuba9

Robert

Same here, spotty hardware at times. Seemed to depend on the Rev.

60 woots, 102 items, 34x1, 7x2, 18x3 (3x3 ßÕÇ-now retired), 9 unique shirt.woot, 1 sellout.woot <--OUTDATED (except the martini ;')

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple

Gave up on the big name wifi adapters a couple years ago - they often work worse, certainly no better than TP-Link adapters.

Get a TP-Link. Your wallet will appreciate them and they just plain work.

No WPA is a deal killer in any case - it is irresponsible for anyone to be selling adapters that do not have WPA.

RE, wifi-g - don't laugh - AT&T is still installing wifi-g routers for UVerse Internet only customers.

(I do tech consulting but have no connection to TP-Link.)

wraith808

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wraith808
theguruguys wrote:As a current IT guy, I agree, but the problem is that you can get Wireless N (Draft 150)shorter form factor adapters for $6.99 refurbished or the same price new.

You can get ones with high gain external antennas for the same price.

You can get Wireless N 300M (Non Slim) $12.99.

Yes, these are not Netgear branded, they are Tenda, however I have had no problems with Tenda devices and have returned more Netgear switches and routers than any other brand.

This just really isn't a good deal on dated technology.

This should be a quality post. In fact, the quality post. It was what I was coming to say.

fuzi719

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fuzi719

You can go to Microcenter or Frys or a number of other places and buy an 802.11n adapter for $10 or less. This is not a good deal. I bought two Tenda 801.22n adapters at Microcenter for $14.99. Two. They work perfectly, use standard drivers so even Linux boxes work with them.

rcm1301

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rcm1301

Be aware, it is only up to speeds of 54Mbps, whihc means it will actually performs about 30. That is old fashion dial up speed!!

djs2571

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djs2571

I got a couple of these at big lots - same price like 2 months back. So this is not a great deal. Though they did work fine for a local office network where we didn't want to run wiring.

krychek67

quality posts: 2 Private Messages krychek67
rcm1301 wrote:Be aware, it is only up to speeds of 54Mbps, whihc means it will actually performs about 30. That is old fashion dial up speed!!

Dang, my old dial-ups were worse than I thought. I was lucky if I could get 30k much less 30Mbps. You lucky dog!

cyberpenguin

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cyberpenguin
ThunderThighs wrote:

I was just thinking that this represents Woot returning to its roots, which is a good thing.