WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Surge Protectors, Not Surge Soda

Oh, for the heady days of Surge Soda. When Xtremity was king. When tastebuds were dissolved. When all-nighters were pulled. You can commemorate the passage of Surge Soda with these collectible "Surge" Protectors. Oh, we're sorry, we misunderstood the purpose of these entirely. 

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
ROGETRAY wrote:You know what, I've honestly NEVER looked up how a surge protector works. I've always just trusted that they will vigilantly protect my well-loved electronic items. How exactly do they work in a power outage?!
I'm just hanging out, really.

majorshopper

quality posts: 4 Private Messages majorshopper

really like the 12 foot corded surge protector. .. bought 3 last time getting 3 more. they were two dollars cheaper last time though so i don't know why the price is higher now.

Burritoclock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Burritoclock

HOW DARE YOU!, Woot! Surge was the greatest soda.... OF ALL TIME!

doomtothee

quality posts: 48 Private Messages doomtothee
inkycatz wrote:

There's a little glass or ceramic (depending on the Protectors sensitivity) fuse that the current is run through into the outlets. Its designed to crack when more than a specific amount of voltage and amperage is being run through it.
That's my understanding of it without looking it up.

Woot won't let me have a cool signature

ganelo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ganelo
inkycatz wrote:

Surge protector != UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). Surge protectors just prevent surges from frying your electronics. UPSs have batteries so they can continue providing power to your devices during an outage (until the battery dies). Many UPSs are also surge protectors, but the reverse is not necessarily true. None of these appear to be UPSs.

bnbsouthworth

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bnbsouthworth

Can you bend these, snake-like, so that brick plugs can fit? Wonder why there is no picture of that...

edit -- now I see it is adjustable out and in, not side to side. Interesting. Wonder how well it fits bricks. Maybe they should alternately face opposite directions.

godwisj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages godwisj
Burritoclock wrote:HOW DARE YOU!, Woot! Surge was the greatest soda.... OF ALL TIME!

Surge was my jam. I even had a Surge clock that would yell SURRRRRGE as it's alarm, it ruled.

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927
Burritoclock wrote:HOW DARE YOU!, Woot! Surge was the greatest soda.... OF ALL TIME!

SURGE!

------------------
I Bet on Sky

doomtothee

quality posts: 48 Private Messages doomtothee
miken927 wrote:SURGE!

A fully loaded citrus soda... with Carbos!

Woot won't let me have a cool signature

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
bnbsouthworth wrote:Can you bend these, snake-like, so that brick plugs can fit? Wonder why there is no picture of that...

edit -- now I see it is adjustable out and in, not side to side. Interesting. Wonder how well it fits bricks. Maybe they should alternately face opposite directions.

The outlets on the adjustable ones are angled which, to me, means you should be able to fit most bricks.

hippie1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981

I know! I loved Surge!

hate2wait

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hate2wait

My takeaway here is that it is important to protect the joules...

skrutinizr

quality posts: 8 Private Messages skrutinizr

Surge Soda was the best. I will never love another soda again as long as I live. Someone, please bring it back.

mybestuser1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybestuser1

It says UL listed but doesn't mention the rating like 1449. If the UL listing is genuine I probably would buy the portable surge protector. Does any one know anything about it.

Nothing is free but if you are lucky it can be inexpensive.

Solonari

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Solonari

So if I'm in an airport with my cell phone and this no-plug USB charger, and if I don't have something else to plug in through the cutout, I'm out of luck? Holding the flat plate against the wall outlet isn't going to do a whole lot of good without something to make the electrical connection.

I also love the specs on the 3- and 6-foot basic models' response time with "<1 nonosecond" though last time a surge fried something of mine I think it was simply one long "NO!!" rather than "nono" ... oh well.

applepete

quality posts: 0 Private Messages applepete
hate2wait wrote:My takeaway here is that it is important to protect the joules...

That's only important if they are the family joules...

ninaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ninaco

I bought the adjustable 2160 during a woot off a while back. Loved the adjustable sockets! Unfortunately, it bit the dust during a nasty storm last summer. But, it did the job - electronics were undamaged.

xlamierina

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xlamierina
doomtothee wrote:A fully loaded citrus soda... with Carbos!

but is it as energizing as Norway's Urge?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZntK1UcPK3o

ideativeinc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ideativeinc

Hello all. I am an employee of IDEATIVE, who makes the Socket Sense and other power products currently listed. I will do my best to help answer some of the questions you may have.

Several of you were wondering how sure protectors work. There is an excellent 3rd party article on that here:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/everyday-tech/surge-protector.htm

All of our surge products have MOVs sealed in a ceramic case to provide extra protection. Once the MOVs are exhausted (burned through from surges and spikes) there is an internal fuse that will shut down the sure protector so that it will no longer function. This feature provides extra protection to your equipment.

Hope this helps.

Tavis Schriefer
IDEATIVE Product Ventures

ideativeinc

ninaco wrote:I bought the adjustable 2160 during a woot off a while back. Loved the adjustable sockets! Unfortunately, it bit the dust during a nasty storm last summer. But, it did the job - electronics were undamaged.

Please ALWAYS register your products when you purchase them. Socket Sense comes with a lifetime warranty. Wile it sounds like your situation resulted in a normal end-of-life for the product, we always appreciate good word-of-mouth advertising and therefore are very conscious to provide good customer service.

Tavis Schriefer

ideativeinc

greyday wrote:The outlets on the adjustable ones are angled which, to me, means you should be able to fit most bricks.

You are correct. The angled outlets allow Socket Sense to support both fat bricks and the thin horizontal bricks. Socket Sense is "guaranteed" to fit all six of your wall warts or your money back. (Please register the product for the warranty and no, you don't get your money back plus get to keep the product)

Tavis Schriefer

ideativeinc

Solonari wrote:So if I'm in an airport with my cell phone and this no-plug USB charger, and if I don't have something else to plug in through the cutout, I'm out of luck? Holding the flat plate against the wall outlet isn't going to do a whole lot of good without something to make the electrical connection.

I also love the specs on the 3- and 6-foot basic models' response time with "<1 nonosecond" though last time a surge fried something of mine I think it was simply one long "NO!!" rather than "nono" ... oh well.

For the Flipit! USB charger, yes you have to have a plug to pass through the Flipit! and into the outlet. But one thing I've witnessed at airports is there are never enough outlets to go around and someone is always willing to share their outlet with your cool Flipit! charger - plus maybe you make a new friend.

Tavis Schriefer

ideativeinc

mybestuser1 wrote:It says UL listed but doesn't mention the rating like 1449. If the UL listing is genuine I probably would buy the portable surge protector. Does any one know anything about it.

All the surge products are certified UL 1449 Rev 3 compliant.

If you are looking at the Flipit! Travel Surge, of course I think it is GREAT! I'm actually using one right now in my hotel room to charge my iPad though the USB outlet while typing this reply. I use it extensively when traveling and plug both my iPhone and iPad into the USB ports, while plugging my laptop and other products into the outlets. I love the product because it works great with power bricks because of the way the outlets are separated.

Tavis Schriefer

bjocon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bjocon
ideativeinc wrote:Hello all. I am an employee of IDEATIVE, who makes the Socket Sense and other power products currently listed. I will do my best to help answer some of the questions you may have.

Several of you were wondering how sure protectors work. There is an excellent 3rd party article on that here:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/everyday-tech/surge-protector.htm

All of our surge products have MOVs sealed in a ceramic case to provide extra protection. Once the MOVs are exhausted (burned through from surges and spikes) there is an internal fuse that will shut down the sure protector so that it will no longer function. This feature provides extra protection to your equipment.

Hope this helps.

Please publish the conditions of acceptability per the Conformity Assesment Body that performed the safety certification.

An update to IEC60950-1 (Safety for IT Equipment) specifically addressed requirements for ZnO MOVs where working voltage ratings and test levels were increased. Mostly because of fires caused when these components fail.

Power strips with only a MOV surge arrest devices should be tossed in garbage at least every other year. More often for areas with poor power and many lightning strikes.

bjocon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bjocon
ideativeinc wrote:All the surge products are certified UL 1449 Rev 3 compliant.

If you are looking at the Flipit! Travel Surge, of course I think it is GREAT! I'm actually using one right now in my hotel room to charge my iPad though the USB outlet while typing this reply. I use it extensively when traveling and plug both my iPhone and iPad into the USB ports, while plugging my laptop and other products into the outlets. I love the product because it works great with power bricks because of the way the outlets are separated.

UL1449 is a component standard and typically not scoped for end-use equipment. The applicable standard for power strips is UL1283.

abrahamrobert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abrahamrobert

Think of all the bad things that have happened since Surge was discontinued. Bush, WMDs, War on Terror, Apple Inc., a recession, prophecies of the end of the world. The list goes on. We just need to bring Surge back, and protect it.

Rachel0982

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Rachel0982

Any thoughts on why TAXSUCKS isn't working?

bebold

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bebold

question I have to have answered before buying one.

the first one: Socket Sense® SS1650W-03 6-Outlet Expandable 2160 Joules Surge Protector with 3-Foot Cord -

says 2160 joules in description but 1080 joules under stats.

explain?

also, can you say something about joules in general. Laptop needs ? joules. TV needs ? joules. more joules = more expensive. what is enough without being too much?

thanks. be.

Serafyna

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Serafyna
Rachel0982 wrote:Any thoughts on why TAXSUCKS isn't working?

That was taken out some months ago As a texas resident that purchases often.. I noticed

realtimshady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages realtimshady

What is the RJ11/RJ45/DSS/Coax bit all about? I have never used that before, is it something I should be doing?

clanecks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages clanecks

<3 Surge!

Got me through middle school's dreary morning classes...

I am not responsible for this post.

Rachel0982

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Rachel0982
Serafyna wrote:That was taken out some months ago As a texas resident that purchases often.. I noticed

It worked for me on Jan 23!

chalion

quality posts: 8 Private Messages chalion
realtimshady wrote:What is the RJ11/RJ45/DSS/Coax bit all about? I have never used that before, is it something I should be doing?

RJ11 = phone line
RJ45 = Ethernet connection - typical computer connection for internet

DSS/coax = typical cable connection for televisions - satellite/set top boxes/cable modems

these can be protected from power spikes by plugging in to surge protectors or uninterruptible power supplies (ups) that have the connections.

Recommended signature image size is 5k.

blue_94_trooper

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blue_94_trooper
bjocon wrote:Please publish the conditions of acceptability per the Conformity Assesment Body that performed the safety certification.
blah, blah, blah...

You're pretty picky about $20 items, especially for somebody with zero Woot purchases.

I guess nothing they've ever sold has been safe enough for you.

kittiesonacid

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kittiesonacid

One More Friday Gone, bite your tongue. Or keyboard or whatever. Surge was fantastic. I was so sad when it left us all too soon.

Lothian110

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lothian110

Is the smart feature of these surge protectors adjustable?
From what I understand, some manufacturer's have added an adjustment knob that allows users to increase or decrease the sensitivity to power drawn by an off device.

Will some devices continue to draw enough power when off that this surge protector will still think they are on, and not shut down power to the other outlets?

webgenie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages webgenie

Damn I missed it...more extra long corded surge protecters please and thank you!

galapogos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages galapogos
blue_94_trooper wrote:You're pretty picky about $20 items, especially for somebody with zero Woot purchases.

I guess nothing they've ever sold has been safe enough for you.

Do you realize that he's likely protecting thousands of dollars worth of electronics with a "$20 item"?

Surge protectors are not just outlet duplicators; they are valuable insurance. Don't belittle someone for being thorough.

togamoos

quality posts: 2 Private Messages togamoos
godwisj wrote:Surge was my jam.

Great, now I want some Surge jam.