zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3807 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Review (including video) from cnet.

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/aoc-e2243fw/4505-3174_7-34199435.html

AlexWalsh

quality posts: 6 Private Messages AlexWalsh

I just bought a dozen of these for my company for twice this price! They're very good when new although one had a dead line in it. I don't know about the refurbs, but the new ones are quite good in my opinion.

twkehr2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages twkehr2

Got two of the 22" AOCs earlier this month on woot. One arrived with several dead pixels. The other works and looks very nice.

AOC's policy on refurbs is that they have to be sent back (on customer's $$$) for repairs. Sent mine out last week. Told it would be a maximum of two weeks until I get it back. Hopefully it comes back ok.

gmartell

quality posts: 10 Private Messages gmartell

Bought a refurbished one from Woot, and it has no problems. The LEDs are bright, so if you're sensitive to light, take a look at the Gunnar glasses or 3M film. When you get one, please read the note on how to press the release button that allows you to use the pedestal (default is locked) t avoid breaking it. Nice led contact on/off button, so I doubt it will wear out as fast.

cascade2k

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cascade2k

In for one. Newegg reviews are 80% 5 stars and 60 dollar more for new. Seems like a great deal.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-160-062

EDIT : My observations are for 23" model.

amemait

quality posts: 10 Private Messages amemait

Darn. I really wish it had HDMI input.

jessieturner

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jessieturner

Ok tech intelligent wooters, this Grama needs some help! I bought two of these before they are great except I get a no signal message when I turn on the computer. The first one I bought does it 90% of the time but if I fiddle with the choices (DVI/D-sub) it will come on sometimes but the one I just hooked up today to a new (from woot) computer will not go beyond the no signal message. I used the supplied cable and did not use a DVI cable on either one. Please give me some advice!!!

cascade2k

jessieturner wrote:Ok tech intelligent wooters, this Grama needs some help! I bought two of these before they are great except I get a no signal message when I turn on the computer. The first one I bought does it 90% of the time but if I fiddle with the choices (DVI/D-sub) it will come on sometimes but the one I just hooked up today to a new (from woot) computer will not go beyond the no signal message. I used the supplied cable and did not use a DVI cable on either one. Please give me some advice!!!

I'm not sure what the problem might be but to directly troubleshoot the monitor(s), try using a different cable on a friends computer. If they work, your existing PC might be having problems with its graphics card. If they don't work on a different computer with different cables, you may have bad monitors.

Strange as it may sound, I actually fixed a friend's similar problem by swapping in a new HDMI cable a while back. Cable errors are very rare but they do happen.

OrangeTang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages OrangeTang
amemait wrote:Darn. I really wish it had HDMI input.

HDMI and DVI are the same connection. You can get cheap adapters just about anywhere to have an HDMI input rather than the DVI. It works perfectly fine even at 1080p resolution. Hope that helps. I personally do this at home so I can have my consoles hooked up to my screen.

kanamin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kanamin

In for 3, cheap eyefinity HERE I COME.

kaustnothane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaustnothane

Bought 1 of these a couple of months ago. 1st was DOA screen was nothing but white. 2nd had a line down the middle. Finally, I got a good one. The monitor is great, the 33% success rate is not. Woot did rma and swap in a quick manner. These are refurbs and I guess that is the chance/price we pay.

Elvis24

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Elvis24

Got one of these refurbished from Woot. Not perfect, but pretty good. I noticed a slight unevenness of brightness from one side of the screen to the other at full brightness, but it's not apparent to me once lowered to a level that's more tolerable for viewing anyway.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
jessieturner wrote:Ok tech intelligent wooters, this Grama needs some help! I bought two of these before they are great except I get a no signal message when I turn on the computer. The first one I bought does it 90% of the time but if I fiddle with the choices (DVI/D-sub) it will come on sometimes but the one I just hooked up today to a new (from woot) computer will not go beyond the no signal message. I used the supplied cable and did not use a DVI cable on either one. Please give me some advice!!!

I do tech support. Cables absolutely do fail - especially if the setup gets moved around, taken apart/put together a lot.

Be very careful to plug the connectors in straight, being sure they are completely seated. Try unplugging and replugging them in. Carefully hand-tighten the screws on the connectors.

VGA, DVI, and HDMI cables are cheap so try changing over to the other type if your PC/laptop has other connectors.

As the other poster said, trying your monitor on someone else's laptop with their cable is also a good idea, but that does not prove your setup is completely bad - it might be a marginal connector/cable that when seated properly works fine.

BTW, I have personally seen Best Buy (Geek Squad) take advantage of a trusting customer, selling them a new PC in a situation similar to yours. Her orignal PC, cable, and monitor were perfectly fine.

hleeperk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hleeperk
OrangeTang wrote:HDMI and DVI are the same connection. You can get cheap adapters just about anywhere to have an HDMI input rather than the DVI. It works perfectly fine even at 1080p resolution. Hope that helps. I personally do this at home so I can have my consoles hooked up to my screen.

HDMI and DVI are not the same connection. HDMI carries video and audio while DVI only carries video. Makes a pretty big difference between needing just a monitor with built-in speakers and needing a monitor and separate external speakers (possibly needing their own power connection).

This is the one thing making me hesitate to get these. If they had HDMI (and built-in speakers), I'd probably jump on 3 of these.

thinkweiz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thinkweiz

Yay! Woot found the missing Mono-Turds to match our HP Quad Cored Desktops

jessieturner

Thank you very much for the help

cascade2k wrote:I'm not sure what the problem might be but to directly troubleshoot the monitor(s), try using a different cable on a friends computer. If they work, your existing PC might be having problems with its graphics card. If they don't work on a different computer with different cables, you may have bad monitors.

Strange as it may sound, I actually fixed a friend's similar problem by swapping in a new HDMI cable a while back. Cable errors are very rare but they do happen.

jessieturner

Thank you very much. One of my thoughts was to go out and get a DVI cable as the computer has that option also. Once I set them up I rarely move them and it would be quite a coincidence both would have the same problem as they were purchased at different times. One is in my Virginia home and one I just tried here in my Arizona condo. The CPU is brand new also. I will try everything you both suggested
Again, thank you for taki g the time to help me

bluemaple wrote:I do tech support. Cables absolutely do fail - especially if the setup gets moved around, taken apart/put together a lot.

Be very careful to plug the connectors in straight, being sure they are completely seated. Try unplugging and replugging them in. Carefully hand-tighten the screws on the connectors.

VGA, DVI, and HDMI cables are cheap so try changing over to the other type if your PC/laptop has other connectors.

As the other poster said, trying your monitor on someone else's laptop with their cable is also a good idea, but that does not prove your setup is completely bad - it might be a marginal connector/cable that when seated properly works fine.

BTW, I have personally seen Best Buy (Geek Squad) take advantage of a trusting customer, selling them a new PC in a situation similar to yours. Her orignal PC, cable, and monitor were perfectly fine.

dleuschke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dleuschke

I bought two of the 22's and two of the 23's in the most recent woot off. The 22's arrived yesterday and I set them up. For some reason, they weren't detecting a signal (both vga and dvi, even when selecting them through the source menu) when I hot-swapped them, as I would expect any vga or dvi to do. But after a restart they finally came up at login. I don't know why, but something to be aware of before you throw it out of a window (which I was close to doing). Maybe someone smarter than I could explain.

No other issues so far, so I'm content.

morgajeff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morgajeff

When hooked up my display was all pink and flashing... Very disappointed. Then I swaped the 15 pin cable with a better one and this cleared things up for now. I can't see any damage to the cable provided in the box, but I guess it was faulty.

albertbagger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages albertbagger
amemait wrote:Darn. I really wish it had HDMI input.

The only functional differences are that HDMI carries audio and has built-in DRM. DVi also has the advantage of being a threaded port, so bumping the display is less likely to cause it to disconnect. Plus some of the better graphics cards (like my Frozr III) have dual DVi but only one HDMI.

jjdche

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jjdche
hleeperk wrote:HDMI and DVI are not the same connection. HDMI carries video and audio while DVI only carries video. Makes a pretty big difference between needing just a monitor with built-in speakers and needing a monitor and separate external speakers (possibly needing their own power connection).

This is the one thing making me hesitate to get these. If they had HDMI (and built-in speakers), I'd probably jump on 3 of these.

In this case an HDMI>DVI adapter would work just fine, though, due to the lack of internal speakers in the monitor.

guoster

quality posts: 2 Private Messages guoster

I had a 19" Acer before this at 1680 x 1050 for the last 4 years, and it was a champ. I wanted the higher res and bigger screen though, but when I first plugged this guy in it was a little off visually for me. I wasn't sure if it was just different and my brain was saying it was "wrong", or if it was actually not calibrated correctly. Turns out, it wasn't set well (for my preferences anyway). Just a note to everyone: it looks much better if you go to color boost and turn on "Full Enhance". Note that this will take over all other image settings like Luminescence and Temp, etc. If you change other settings after color boost it will automatically turn off color boost. This took me a bit to figure out so I hope this helps out others.

cascade2k

23" arrived today and seems to be DOA. Doesn't even get power (LED won't light up). Going to poke around for a voltage tester to make sure it's not a power supply issue before returning.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
cascade2k wrote:23" arrived today and seems to be DOA. Doesn't even get power (LED won't light up). Going to poke around for a voltage tester to make sure it's not a power supply issue before returning.

Yes, be sure to contact the manufacturer first, and then support@woot if you have further issues.

I'm just hanging out, really.

cascade2k

inkycatz wrote:Yes, be sure to contact the manufacturer first, and then support@woot if you have further issues.

Does seem to be a power supply issue, supposed to be 12V/3a but it's only giving me 8V/3a according to the multi-meter.

waldoppper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waldoppper

Took me a long time to realize that the power button capacitive on the base of the monitor. I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out where the switch was and worrying the unit was DoA.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

waldoppper wrote:Took me a long time to realize that the power button capacitive on the base of the monitor. I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out where the switch was and worrying the unit was DoA.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

kkreynolds

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kkreynolds

Hi all, I bought the 23" and am not sure if it's functioning properly or not. The blacks are dark and true, colors look good and the picture is sharp, but white areas are kind of gray, even after playing around with the color, contrast, gamma and brightness display settings. Nothing I adjust seems to end up with actually white white areas. Is it supposed to be like this, or is there something wrong with this particular unit? I'm not sure how to tell. It's subtle, but just enough that I notice it and am distracted by it, especially if I look down at my physical desktop at a piece of white paper and the back at the screen. Thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

[quote postid="5335707" user="kkreynolds"]Hi all, I bought the 23" /quote]

Hopefully someone can chime in, if not I'd recommend contacting the manufacturer and seeing what you can find out.

I'm just hanging out, really.

cascade2k

kkreynolds wrote:Hi all, I bought the 23" and am not sure if it's functioning properly or not. The blacks are dark and true, colors look good and the picture is sharp, but white areas are kind of gray, even after playing around with the color, contrast, gamma and brightness display settings. Nothing I adjust seems to end up with actually white white areas. Is it supposed to be like this, or is there something wrong with this particular unit? I'm not sure how to tell. It's subtle, but just enough that I notice it and am distracted by it, especially if I look down at my physical desktop at a piece of white paper and the back at the screen. Thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Try going into the Power Color menu and selecting Auto-Detect. I was having a similar issue. Full Enhance, as suggested by another user, only seeemed to make the grey more...grey.