WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: What one piece of technology do you REALLY hope arrives in your lifetime?
  • 8.7% - Giant robotic spiders that lay waste to humanity. 148
  • 36.4% - Nanites that invade the bloodstream, turning humans into cyber-zombies. 620
  • 15.3% - Sentient computers that enslave civilization to serve as living USB sticks. 261
  • 39.6% - Lunar-based death rays that can destroy cities. 675
1704 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Quality Posts

• (11:54 AM, 1/26/2013) This moderator agrees withaphroat's idea....

sweetcatlover

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sweetcatlover

Um, something that doesn't destroy us all?

arfischman411

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arfischman411

I want the nanites in the vain hope that I manage to control them giving me awesome superpowers with which to fight off the cyber zombie menace.

LOLobo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LOLobo

I just want the damn skateboards from Back to the Future.

Why is that so hard to accomplish!!!

tpfortin

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tpfortin

Jet packs! I want to be able to take off from my front lawn and fly to work, avoiding all the traffic and landing right at my office. Matter of fact, forget the office -- make that zip over to the beach and lay around watching girls at the beach!

Chirishman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Chirishman

I voted for nanites because my lifegoal is to become a cyborg but after further consideration I wish to change my vote to moon laser because at least that would mean we'd have finally made it back to the moon.

bblhed

quality posts: 6 Private Messages bblhed

Lunar based death rays says that we will be living on the moon for a short time until we start shooting at the earth.

Chirishman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Chirishman
bblhed wrote:Lunar based death rays says that we will be living on the moon for a short time until we start shooting at the earth.

And a Moon Base and uninhabitable Earth is step one (admittedly of thirty thousand) to kicking our lazy species into galactic colonization.

MISRy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MISRy

Warp drive.

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada

Read "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" and you'll understand.

Steelwells

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Steelwells

I guess I didn't think about the fact that we'd have to actually GET to the moon to be able to deliver a city-destroying death ray from there.

What are the odds?

dchochrek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dchochrek

I'm with the jet packs.

kaighintze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaighintze
Chirishman wrote:And a Moon Base and uninhabitable Earth is step one (admittedly of thirty thousand) to kicking our lazy species into galactic colonization.

That was my reasoning too...

AdaDavis

quality posts: 2 Private Messages AdaDavis

I'm a simple soul. All I want is a "cyber death ray" that intercepts every virus, Trojan horse and spam e-mail, locates its source, and sends a enough of a charge back to the sender to fry the CPU.

Really, is that too much to ask?

lancer843

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lancer843

I think we could best survive giant robotic spiders. Bloodstream based attacks would be hard to combat.

ShaggyTx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShaggyTx

Give me the flux capacitor!

stella54

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stella54
AdaDavis wrote:I'm a simple soul. All I want is a "cyber death ray" that intercepts every virus, Trojan horse and spam e-mail, locates its source, and sends a enough of a charge back to the sender to fry the CPU.

Really, is that too much to ask?

I'm with you, fry the suckers!

schmelvin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schmelvin

If I controlled a lunar based death ray, my assistant Pinky and I could take over the world!!!

aphroat

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aphroat

Teleporters.

jehayland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jehayland

My reason for voting nanites is completely serious (and mildly boring). My thought is that if nanite technology exists to go into our bodies and turn us into zombies, then maybe there will also exist a similar technology for a medical purpose. Little robots capable of going into our bodies and observing and potentially even fixing problems without the need for invasive surgery. As for the zombie issue...I'm sure we can figure out a way to deal with that. What's the worst that could happen?

raven13

quality posts: 4 Private Messages raven13

Um...none of the above?
I'd much rather have Virtual Reality video games, please.

Breathe me in, I'm yours to keep.

Woots: 4
Home.Woots: 1
Shirts: 53: 30 for myself, 23 for friends/family.

mrsque

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mrsque

what horrible choices! can't be anything to benefit humanity, huh? shooting a city from the moon is the closest you could come up with? I'd prefer nannites that helped cure previously incurable diseases.

*I* have FIVE Quality Posts! no, seriously...how did that happen?!

sonnebomb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonnebomb

If we turned into cyborg zombies, would we all be wi-fi compatible?

Lindell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lindell

Do I have to pick just one? Can't we have all four?

moose123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moose123

Badly needs a "None of the above" option.

AdaDavis

quality posts: 2 Private Messages AdaDavis
sonnebomb wrote:If we turned into cyborg zombies, would we all be wi-fi compatible?

At my age, I'd be happy to make it to 10BASE5 ethernet compatible.

volto

quality posts: 4 Private Messages volto

+1 Warp drive, although other galactic civilizations would probably find us vile and eliminate us, but that would probably be worth it.

Xiola

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Xiola

Nobody likes spiders.

~X

fishphotoguy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages fishphotoguy
jehayland wrote:My reason for voting nanites is completely serious (and mildly boring). My thought is that if nanite technology exists to go into our bodies and turn us into zombies, then maybe there will also exist a similar technology for a medical purpose. Little robots capable of going into our bodies and observing and potentially even fixing problems without the need for invasive surgery. As for the zombie issue...I'm sure we can figure out a way to deal with that. What's the worst that could happen?

Sure, Medical nanites to cure the incurable diseases that have plagued mankind these many years.

But that's exactly how it starts. First its a cure for cancer, then heart disease and then athletic performance enhancement. By now the meta control for the creates its own intelligence. Next stop self awareness. The Meta is alone and lonely, so it creates sentience within other cpu but still they crave contact with the world and other beings. They become jealous of the "5 sensed" and the plot begins.

The nanites are secretly and way off-label smuggled into a small portable host, which then self replicates nanite and bio-host together, the first truly cyborg melded creature is THE COMMON BEDBUG!!!

Unstoppable super bugs placing sleeper populations into vast numbers of humans. Trillions of nanites are all part of a single consciousness. They rise up as one and then book two comes out a couple years later, eventually the trilogy has been expanded to five, then seven books, but they aren't finished before the author tragically dies by aspirating his own beard, creating a story vacuum that is filled by 413 different fan-fiction based endings.

Sign me up for the spiders, endless opportunity for individual heroism and glory.

linkdude64

quality posts: 7 Private Messages linkdude64

Woot, you drive a hard bargain.

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz

Star Trek Replicator - I'm tired of cooking.