WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

If Your Name's Gunnar, These are Your Glasses

Take it from us, since we just had to pay for a doctor visit: staring at screens all day can irritate your eyes somethin' fierce. Get some Gunnar Optiks glasses and ease the sting a bit.
Gunnar Optiks official site

Quality Posts

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

Perfect for Gunnar Nelson! Oh wait, the '90s-themed woot-off is over, sorry.

------------------
I Bet on Sky

dagast2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dagast2

I fell for the hype last time these were available. They are comfortable and don't necessarily make my experience worse in any way, but they don't really improve anything as far as I can tell.

rhycochet

quality posts: 16 Private Messages rhycochet

so, those 3D shades...you know, for eight bucks. can you wear them in those 3D IMAX movies or are they not referring to actual 3D?

i only own activeshutter 3D TVs and glasses so they're not going to help me there...but for $13 shipped might be worth it to get a semi-permanent pair of 3D glasses i can take to AMC or Edwards or something.

btw, i own their crystalline (clear)/ amber (yellow) and sunglasses even. all three are relatively amazing, i wear them all the time. i basically now have a pair for every occasion but 3D was one i didn't think about.

greed666

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greed666

Got these last time idk if id wear them out side they r a strange shape but if u are looking at a bright screen in a dark room for hours they really do take the strain off your eyes. I was impressed i thought it was fake

mebekili

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mebekili

Got these last time around -- wasn't sure what to expect .... everything is sharper with them on and my eyes are less tired. it's not a "night and day" difference, but it's definitely a difference. Am considering seeing if they help with glare when driving... they just might considering how much they help with the computer and even make my TV seem sharper... the world does have a slightly yellowish cast with them on -- but oddly when I take them off the World seems blueish.... I think they're worth the cost on Woot -- don't know if I'd think the same had I paid full price.

rasok19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rasok19

Yesterday my eye doctor tried to sell me a pair of these for $400. I'm not talking about a similar product. The doctor's office specifically tried to sell me these nonprescription Gunnar Groove computer glasses for $400. I said no and bought them from Amazon for $75. Now I see them for $39. It's mind-boggling.

hojpoj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hojpoj

Bought some awhile back, now have one for home and one for work. In for two more since my wife wanted a pair, and I found them to be helpful when shooting. The reduction in blue spectrum and the small diopter adjustment have really helped my eyestrain. Perhaps this is placebo effect, but I find if I wear these in the evening up to bedtime it helps me get to sleep easier, as well.

techkitten

quality posts: 0 Private Messages techkitten

I bought a pair, and they made my eyes hurt.

RogueLeader1101

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RogueLeader1101

I bought the "Weezer" model last time.

First and formost, they definitely help with my eyestrain. I noticed my eyes being much less tired and not as bloodshot after hours of staring at the computer screen.

I stare at the screen a lot and had debated about it, figuring it was a bunch of hype, but if you get headaches, eyestrain, bloodshot eyes from looking at the computer screen or playing video games nonstop, I would recommend a pair of these gunnars at this price.

I wish the Weezer frames I purchased had a larger height because they do slide down and I have to adjust them from time to time, maybe a different style would have been better. Other than that, they are great.

smarttoaster

quality posts: 1 Private Messages smarttoaster
techkitten wrote:I bought a pair, and they made my eyes hurt.

Same here. Bought a pair last time, and after wearing for a bit, they started to make my eyes hurt.

tred009

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tred009

The reviews don't look overly favorable for the 3d glasses... but for only $8 the risk seems worth it... I have an LG 3d TV and have been fairly disappointed with the crap glasses they provided... but I just don't know if I want to drop $30-$40 a pair for the "fancy" ones... Anyone actually use these 3d ones before?

wickedd365

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wickedd365

What about console gaming? I play on a 47" LCD and have been eying these for a while now. Are they worth it for my situation?

cleverett

quality posts: 29 Private Messages cleverett
miken927 wrote:Perfect for Gunnar Nelson! Oh wait, the '90s-themed woot-off is over, sorry.

This reminded me of the classic Beavis & Butthead quote about Nelson:

"These chicks look like guys."

"Yeah. That one's not wearin' a bra."

gravityisweak

quality posts: 27 Private Messages gravityisweak

I own a pair of the weezers and considering Gunnars sell out just about every time I've seen them on Woot!, most people like them.

Dont expect any miracles, but they do work for me in reducing that zombie eye feeling after being on the computer for a few hours.

Blustreak21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Blustreak21
rhycochet wrote:so, those 3D shades...you know, for eight bucks. can you wear them in those 3D IMAX movies or are they not referring to actual 3D?

i only own activeshutter 3D TVs and glasses so they're not going to help me there...but for $13 shipped might be worth it to get a semi-permanent pair of 3D glasses i can take to AMC or Edwards or something.

btw, i own their crystalline (clear)/ amber (yellow) and sunglasses even. all three are relatively amazing, i wear them all the time. i basically now have a pair for every occasion but 3D was one i didn't think about.

These 3D glasses are not compatible with IMAX. You can use them for RealD, IDX or your passive 3D tv. They are an enormous improvement on what they give you at the theater and completely worth it at this price. I got them for triple this price and am not disappointed.

casemcg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages casemcg

Anyone can tell me if the Rockete model is and sturdier than the weezer model? or has anyone tried both?

beautyofmachines

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beautyofmachines

I got a pair of these the last time around (Groove style). I've worn them every day at work since. I look a bit goofy (they're slightly larger than they appear in the pictures) but they have seemed to help. The tinting doesn't do much for me but rather its the slight magnification that really relieves stress off the eyes. They're tuned to about 2 feet from your face, allowing for you to focus on the screen without as much effort. I find that I have to take them off immediately if I look up or try to focus on something farther away. I would NEVER try driving with them due to the magnification throwing perspective a bit off.

As others have stated, the difference isn't night and day--you don't just pop these glasses on and immediately feel a lot better. However, over the course of a long work day I've noticed that I don't rub my eyes as much, they seem less dry (a function of more blinking, but somehow the glasses have improved it) and overall I feel like I can go home and still watch TV, get some good games in, or get some work done without feeling visually fatigued. Its kind of a hard thing to explain, but these things do work, I'd recommend them to anyone who sits in front of a computer screen all day like me, especially if you're looking at spreadsheets or something and need to constantly focus on small text.

Havoc737903

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Havoc737903

Just got mine today. They broke the second I went to put em on. The model I got was Rayne. This was my replacement for my scope model which had problems with the layers of the lenses de laminating and bubbles appearing in one of the lenses. I like gunnars products enough, but I don't know if I'm ever buying another pair based off of this track record. It's their return/repair/replace policy that really turns me off from them. Amazon mails out a replacement free of charge for most things/pays for shipping back to them. With gunnar repairs you pay for them AND pay for shipping.

Don't know about you guys but I'm far too lazy to go to the post office and mail something most of the time. Guess I need to pick up a cheap printer so I can print my own postage at home. Okay woot powers that be, daddy needs a new pair of printers. Or one. Just one would probably be sufficient.

The dawn is my enemy.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

Havoc737903 wrote:Just got mine today. They broke the second I went to put em on. The model I got was Rayne. This was my replacement for my scope model which had problems with the layers of the lenses de laminating and bubbles appearing in one of the lenses. I like gunnars products enough, but I don't know if I'm ever buying another pair based off of this track record. It's their return/repair/replace policy that really turns me off from them. Amazon mails out a replacement free of charge for most things/pays for shipping back to them. With gunnar repairs you pay for them AND pay for shipping.

Don't know about you guys but I'm far too lazy to go to the post office and mail something most of the time. Guess I need to pick up a cheap printer so I can print my own postage at home. Okay woot powers that be, daddy needs a new pair of printers. Or one. Just one would probably be sufficient.

Sorry to hear that you experienced issues with your purchase and with talking to Gunnar.

I'm not sure if it will help, but you're welcome to email Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know your circumstance. They'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.

ctom24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ctom24

So as always received my item promptly but my glasses have a huge gouge on the lens as well as the arm came detached from the frames.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

ctom24 wrote:So as always received my item promptly but my glasses have a huge gouge on the lens as well as the arm came detached from the frames.

check the post above
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

cheeser1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cheeser1

Sorry, but these aren't great. I wouldn't even say they're good.

I got the "Groove Adv" and they make everything yellow -- less harsh, pretty nice. The marginal magnification is alright.

But I have a multiple-display setup. Hell, even with one widescreen display, it's still a problem. Why? The peripheral distortion. Everything is bent, and worse, in some areas of my vision (i.e. when I look to the corners of the screen), the distortion is so asymmetrical that everything in my visual cortex goes bananas and my eyes get cranky and confused.

Interesting concept, very much needed, good execution in terms of lens tint and marketing, but bad engineering/design and marginal quality.

And frankly, with the end product being mass-manufactured out of plastic in China, I expect the retail price of $99 or a super-discount price of $40 to still get me something more than a worse headache than without the glasses. Incredibly sad that this turned out to be junk.