WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: What’s the scariest tech disaster, in your opinion?
  • 10% - Solar flare wipes out satellites, crippling communications, mapping, and weather systems 146
  • 38% - EMP devastates electrical grid, ruining electronics and infrastructure 553
  • 19.9% - Cyber attack hacks military computer systems and turns them against countries 289
  • 2.3% - Runaway stux-type worm disables any and all computers infected 33
  • 29.8% - DAMMIT THERE’S MOUNTAIN DEW IN THE KEYBOARD AGAIN. 433
1454 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

Doesn't the solar flare include an EMP blast?

ardubu

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ardubu

SkyNet is coming on line... very soon... with X-87B's to boot...

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

spacemart

quality posts: 15 Private Messages spacemart
curtisuxor wrote:Doesn't the solar flare include an EMP blast?

my first thought too. i picked solar flare because i think it is the most likely.

tooter1952

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tooter1952

A solar flare will do exactly what an EMP will do and is MUCH more likely to happen, it has already happened in the mid 19 century.

roni24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roni24

The Internet going down or it taking more than 5 seconds to load a web page. Argh!!!

tekman7d0

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tekman7d0

At first I was going to choose the EMP.
Then I realized that the toll in human life (including IT people) and infrastructure damage from the military attacks would do more damage by far.
Talk about being down for a while...

avworkz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avworkz

A solar flare is by far the most likely. 2013 is the peak of the hundred year solar cycle.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

EMP = Revolution. Tech disappears. Solar flare? Temporary outages, weeks to years to rebuild.

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud
ardubu wrote:SkyNet is coming on line... very soon... with X-87B's to boot...

SkyNet (or different name, same idea) is already online. It isn't as self aware and taking over the world, but it is already there.

Solar Flare taking satellites would be bad, bu ttotal loss of electronics would result in much worse damage. You're talking any form of electronics (damns, gates, cells, all communications, vehicles, xbox (had to throw it in there), and more. It would result in certain anarchy, looting, riots, Katrina like aftermath on a larger scale... If we only lost mapping and communications via sattelite, or order could still be maintained on some level. As for military, you could theoretically pul the plug on said systems. It would be difficult to recover from, but you could communicate and get it done.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll

I can't believe it did not rate "the list". The most huge technical disaster I can think of?
Thermonuclear War

landsd01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages landsd01

No

mibutterflywingz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mibutterflywingz

We lived without cell phones, smart phones, tablets, computers, mp3 players, etc and the internet before in every home practically. It wasn't that long ago. 1990's and prior.

The ABSOLUTE WORST technology disaster that could happen is having technology that is seriously needed like medical equipment, military equipment, etc not work.