1%
1%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3472 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Some not so happy customers at bestbuy.com on the 46" (46LA45RQ).

http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/1831054/rca-46-class-lcd-1080p-60hz-hdtv-reviews/reviews.htm

brishen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brishen

RCA forgot to renew their domain registration for their tv website. Hopefully they put more effort into their tv's.

sature

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sature
brishen wrote:RCA forgot to renew their domain registration for their tv website. Hopefully they put more effort into their tv's.

hahahaha... that just made my day. too funny.

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82

Do you even know what a plethora is?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTUmczVdik

marq45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marq45

Overabundance,

marq45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marq45

PIETHORA: TO MANY!Overabundance,

rdlf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rdlf

RCA TV's these days are just rebadged TCL's. They're top sellers on Amazon (for awhile a couple were in the top 20 best selling TV list, now just 1). I can't find RCA anywhere in the top 100. All the TCL's on there also come with a 2 Year Warranty vs the 90 day here. I've had this one in the bedroom for the last year with no complaints.

jabluszko

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jabluszko

Yeah, I know what a plethora is, but can someone explain in lay terms the advantages and disadvantages of LCD v. LED (and maybe even the plasma, when we are at it.)
I am not a geek, so layman terms, please.
Oh, and thanks in advance.

beleuchtung

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beleuchtung

Dear: jabluszko

Basically the LED is newer technology. It uses slightly less energy and weighs less so it is easier to move around. Plus I have been told that the LED should last longer but with the way TV’s go or don’t go you will probably replace this one with a newer one before it gives out. I had to give away my old CRT and LCD TVs to the Salvation Army since they were both still working fine.
Hope that helps.

“Little progress can be made by merely attempting to repress what is evil. Our great hope lies in developing what is good.”
--Calvin Coolidge

jabluszko

beleuchtung wrote:Dear: jabluszko

Basically the LED is newer technology. It uses slightly less energy and weighs less so it is easier to move around. Plus I have been told that the LED should last longer but with the way TV’s go or don’t go you will probably replace this one with a newer one before it gives out. I had to give away my old CRT and LCD TVs to the Salvation Army since they were both still working fine.
Hope that helps.

Thanks beleuchtung! I think I got it.
Yes, I know what you mean. Two CRT's went to trash - nobody wanted them for free. Now the third is going as strong as ever, but will probably share in the same destiny, that is a violent death at a landfill. The charities in my area don't accept donations of CRT's ;(
I won't be surprised when in a few years donations of anything less than 3D will be unacceptable.
Amazing or amusing?

makingalist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages makingalist

Those Amazon reviews show negative review after negative review, all dated from this summer, all stating the same problem. What are the chances the sets here are the leftovers from that manufacturing run? As much as I'd love a new TV, I think I'll pass. :-(

DogBoneDMC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DogBoneDMC

I'm no herbalist, but for this to be a good deal (4,000:1 ratio on the 46" refurby for $400) it smells to me like someone's been smoking too much stuff that has been sitting far too long on a deluxe swivel spice rack. In My Horrible Opinion.

Don't break it just cuz you know how!

kakomu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kakomu
jabluszko wrote:Yeah, I know what a plethora is, but can someone explain in lay terms the advantages and disadvantages of LCD v. LED (and maybe even the plasma, when we are at it.)

Just so everyone knows, LED and LCD TVs both use LCD panels. LED refers to the method of lighting the panel.

LCD TVs light their panel with CCFL (Cold Cathode fluorescent Lamp) elements located on all four sides.

Most LED TVs use an array of LEDs on all four sides. High end LED TVs will use an array of LEDs directly behind the LCD panel that will actually dim based on what's on screen, but we don't see many of those panels around.

As to advantages, LED TVs are thinner and lighter and LCD TVs are cheaper. For a bigger guy, the difference in weight is probably negligible. Quality of lighting between the two should be comparable.

sakataguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sakataguy
bpeterson82 wrote:Do you even know what a plethora is?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTUmczVdik

Well, it's not Three Amigos, but The Dictionary (Webster's 1828, the only authoritative one ;-) says

PLETH'ORA, n. [ Gr. fullness. ] Literally, fullness.

In medicine, fullness of blood; excess of blood; repletion; the state of the vessels of the human body, when they are too full or overloaded with fluids."

http://1828.mshaffer.com/d/search/word,plethora

RogerDucky

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RogerDucky
jabluszko wrote:Yeah, I know what a plethora is, but can someone explain in lay terms the advantages and disadvantages of LCD v. LED (and maybe even the plasma, when we are at it.)

LCD uses a panel in front, with a light at the side or behind the panel to illuminate the picture. People used to use compact flourecent bulbs in it, but recently have begun to use LEDs due to them being even longer lasting.

Plasma uses a bunch of "boxes" that lights up by themselves, so no light is necessary. Also, when the TV needs to show black, it can just turn that part off, so the black is much darker. However, due to their more complicated design, Plasmas are usually much heavier than LCDs.

tute

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tute

violent death at a landfill. The charities in my area don't accept donations of CRT's ;(

Take them to BestBuy who takes any old electronics for free, even if you didn't buy there!

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

You can pretty much walk into Sams club (or probably a Costco) and get a similar deal to this. The difference being if you get it home and you either don't like it or it stops working - you just take it back, no questions asked.

cjmoran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cjmoran
rdlf wrote:RCA TV's these days are just rebadged TCL's. They're top sellers on Amazon (for awhile a couple were in the top 20 best selling TV list, now just 1). I can't find RCA anywhere in the top 100. All the TCL's on there also come with a 2 Year Warranty vs the 90 day here. I've had this one in the bedroom for the last year with no complaints.

Since they are made by TCL now, you can expect a better product. RCA has been junk for years after GE sold them to a French company. Neither the French company nor GE really cared to be in the TV business.

Rock

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

Caveat Emptor with refurb TVs, especially from woot. Only get them if you have money to burn (and a fire extinguisher in case they catch on fire)

dfwhokie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dfwhokie

I have the 32" LCD (which is now sold out, so I guess I'm just writing to see myself talk), and I've been very happy with it. Bright, rich picture quality.

(bought it new)

plamberson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plamberson

You can get the 32' LED (LED32B30RQ) for $228 at Amazon and Kmart.com with free shipping. And those units are new with a 12 month warranty.

So basically, you save $23 (with $5 shipping from Woot), but give up 9 months of warranty.

gbuskirk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gbuskirk

A further benefit of buying new vs. refurb is that SquareTrade will probably sell you a longer term extended warranty on the new, if you are so inclined.

everett0123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages everett0123

I used to sell RCA & GE when they were owned by Thomson France. The GE's were the worst next came RCA. Once we had to open 4 boxes to fine one that worked for display!

buffalobilljohnston

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buffalobilljohnston

from buffalo ny: biggest differences: a plasma tv has a nice glass face viewable from all angles and does not attract dust like the old picture tube TV sets.

sbking86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sbking86
jabluszko wrote:Thanks beleuchtung! I think I got it.
Yes, I know what you mean. Two CRT's went to trash - nobody wanted them for free. Now the third is going as strong as ever, but will probably share in the same destiny, that is a violent death at a landfill. The charities in my area don't accept donations of CRT's ;(
I won't be surprised when in a few years donations of anything less than 3D will be unacceptable.
Amazing or amusing?

CRTs are not trash. Without them you cannot play Duck Hunt.

jose2412

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jose2412
gak0090 wrote:You can pretty much walk into Sams club (or probably a Costco) and get a similar deal to this. The difference being if you get it home and you either don't like it or it stops working - you just take it back, no questions asked.

I just checked both websites and they don't have any 32 inch 1080p for anywhere near $200...

gak0090

jose2412 wrote:I just checked both websites and they don't have any 32 inch 1080p for anywhere near $200...

Go in and check the return rack/ floor model. In addition you have clearanced models that don't always show up on the website that they discount down.

UtilityCow

quality posts: 6 Private Messages UtilityCow

My wife worked retail for manymany years. She has always said RCA TVs are junk. The Most returned out of all the brands.

jose2412

gak0090 wrote:Go in and check the return rack/ floor model. In addition you have clearanced models that don't always show up on the website that they discount down.

Well I just went to sams club. Cheapest 1080p 32 inch was $268. I'll take a gamble here.

gak0090

jose2412 wrote:Well I just went to sams club. Cheapest 1080p 32 inch was $268. I'll take a gamble here.

Walmart $209

Sceptre 32" Class LCD 1080p 60Hz HDTV, X325BV-FHD

http://www.walmart.com/ip/19793560?adid=22222222227014963729&wmlspartner=wlpa&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

4/5 stars 699 reviews

yayobama

quality posts: 12 Private Messages yayobama

Doesn't it go without saying that any TV sold by Woot is HD?

Low Definition is soo twentieth century.

quelynwoot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages quelynwoot
gak0090 wrote:Walmart $209

Sceptre 32" Class LCD 1080p 60Hz HDTV, X325BV-FHD

http://www.walmart.com/ip/19793560?adid=22222222227014963729&wmlspartner=wlpa&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

4/5 stars 699 reviews

Watch out for TV's with only 60Hz. You'll see some video drag on any high speed action. It'll be the most noticeable watching sports or racing for example. Look for one with 120Hz and spend a little more. You won't regret it.

gak0090

quelynwoot wrote:Watch out for TV's with only 60Hz. You'll see some video drag on any high speed action. It'll be the most noticeable watching sports or racing for example. Look for one with 120Hz and spend a little more. You won't regret it.

I totally agree, I was just giving another option to the person who bought the 32 inch RCA set today (also 60Hz- all of them are today), I guarantee that Sceptre is a better TV then the RCA.
http://www.sceptre.com/information/Corporate_Overview.htm

macharborguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages macharborguy
quelynwoot wrote:Watch out for TV's with only 60Hz. You'll see some video drag on any high speed action. It'll be the most noticeable watching sports or racing for example. Look for one with 120Hz and spend a little more. You won't regret it.

Unless you are getting it for gaming, in which case the 120Hz smoothing can effect gameplay response times.

jabluszko

Many thanks to the Wooting Geeks that answered my previous question.

Here is a summary of the advantages and disadvantages of LCD v. LED (and plasma, and even CRT) in layman terms, with credits:

beleuchtung states:
"Basically the LED is newer technology. It uses slightly less energy and weighs less so it is easier to move around. Plus [.] the LED should last longer [.] but [.] I had to give away my old CRT and LCD TVs to the Salvation Army since they were both still working fine."
(To which I replied that the charities don't want CRT these days any more.)

kakomu tells us:
"1. LED and LCD TVs both use LCD panels. LED refers to the method of lighting the panel.

2. LCD TVs light their panel with CCFL (Cold Cathode fluorescent Lamp) elements located on all four sides.

3. Most LED TVs use an array of LEDs on all four sides. High end LED TVs will use an array of LEDs directly behind the LCD panel that will actually dim based on what's on screen, but we don't see many of those panels around.

4. As to advantages, LED TVs are thinner and lighter and LCD TVs are cheaper. For a bigger guy, the difference in weight is probably negligible. Quality of lighting between the two should be comparable."

RogerDucky expands on the lights in LCD's and LED's, but also explains:
"Plasma uses a bunch of "boxes" that lights up by themselves, so no light is necessary. Also, when the TV needs to show black, it can just turn that part off, so the black is much darker. However, due to their more complicated design, Plasmas are usually much heavier than LCDs."

tute helps to save old CRT's from the violent death at the landfill:
"Take them to BestBuy who takes any old electronics for free, even if you didn't buy there!"

buffalobilljohnston... credits buffalo ny with this statement:
"biggest differences: a plasma tv has a nice glass face viewable from all angles and does not attract dust like the old picture tube TV sets."

sbking86 is protective over his CRT:
"CRTs are not trash. Without them you cannot play Duck Hunt. "

Thanks again Wooting Geeks, for talking to me in such a simple language.

Shinespark

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Shinespark
tute wrote:violent death at a landfill. The charities in my area don't accept donations of CRT's ;(

Take them to BestBuy who takes any old electronics for free, even if you didn't buy there!

Oh, they'll probably still end up in a trash pile, it's just more likely that it'll be in China, Bangladesh or Nigeria.

jose2412

Seriously Woot! It's been a whole week and my TV still hasn't shipped?! What The Hay?!?

obxwes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages obxwes
jose2412 wrote:Seriously Woot! It's been a whole week and my TV still hasn't shipped?! What The Hay?!?

Right there with you, man.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

obxwes wrote:Right there with you, man.

sorry it's taking so long.
if you're concerned about the status of your order, feel free to email Support@Woot.com.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.