0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei

And my favorite line out of the whole description is:

"If this is buried in a field, what grows in its place is: a very dirty Microsoft Surface."

Good thing I hadn't taken a drink yet or I would have spit it all over my computer when I laughed!

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

Video review!

------------------
I Bet on Sky

jertyler

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jertyler

Here's a nice video review.

The review looks pretty positive. I like the built-in GPS.

A quick price search shows that you are basically getting the keyboard/dock for "free" here. Looks like a good deal to me.

thePRO64

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thePRO64

I bought this tablet from woot recently and I am amazed at how often I use it. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

VeeRay

quality posts: 2 Private Messages VeeRay

I bought this last time and had to return it - the keyboard would work only occasionally, and the battery life / reporting was...variable. Nice feeling piece of hardware, but just didn't work well enough.

Asus website, product reg, and telephone customer service laughably terrible; Woot's on the return was easy, helpful, and quick to credit (although it did cost me roughly 10% of the purchase price to ship it back via UPS). Also, to make things more confusing, the tablet and the keyboard each had two serial numbers (I assume having to do with them being refurbs), which Asus can't figure out. Also, Asus does not distinguish between "zero" and "letter O" in their serial numbers.

taimeili

quality posts: 6 Private Messages taimeili

Can anyone tell me if the dock is OEM or made by some third party?

The original dock list price was around 100 bucks?

wingz666

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wingz666

I bought one of these to replace my ViewSonic g tab, and i really like this tablet. Nice slim profile, light, expandable, very responsive, beautiful display, highly recommend it. I haven't upgraded to jellybean yet, don't want to lose flash. Had to freeze the updater otherwise every 2 minutes a pop up would appear stating to update.

benocha

quality posts: 3 Private Messages benocha

i have the brother to this tablet, the infinity, and i can vouch for the badass-ness for these tablets, well built, stupid long battery life if using the keyboard dock, limitless expansion since the dock doubles as a usb port and a sd card reader and dont forget the dock can power usb powered portable hard drives, i have a 32gb micro sd card in the tablet, a 32gb sd card in the dock and a 1tb usb hard drive that lets me carry all my movies and shows. i use the transformer for skool and work, the keyboard protects the screen but you still don't want to mess up the aluminum finish so i suggest buying a $10 minisuit case off amazon or target has a neoprene soft case with pockets so you can take the tablet and the charger, earphones, screen cleaner, portable hard drive and a couple usb sticks. overall i give these transformer tablets a 9/10 since they are pretty much ultra portable laptop and a touch screen tablet, and a entertainment center all in one. you will not be disappointed.

for those wondering the case about Brony battery life on this OEM keyboard, you have to enable in the settings under asus customized settings for the tablet to disconnect from wifi while in sleep, and the keyboard has to be on power saver setting. my tablet with dock lasts me 3 days with moderate use.

oh yeah for the guys thinking the microsoft surface or samsung tabs are better, the transformer is the only tab on the market that rocks a keyboard dock with built in expansive battery. buy it. do it. do it. just do it.

dan7398

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dan7398

Since this has a USB port, any chance it will work with the wifes old model fitbit? or is that not android capable yet?

Loeb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Loeb
VeeRay wrote:I bought this last time and had to return it - the keyboard would work only occasionally, and the battery life / reporting was...variable. Nice feeling piece of hardware, but just didn't work well enough.

Asus website, product reg, and telephone customer service laughably terrible; Woot's on the return was easy, helpful, and quick to credit (although it did cost me roughly 10% of the purchase price to ship it back via UPS). Also, to make things more confusing, the tablet and the keyboard each had two serial numbers (I assume having to do with them being refurbs), which Asus can't figure out. Also, Asus does not distinguish between "zero" and "letter O" in their serial numbers.

The IS a difference between the zeros and the Os, but it is subtle. I used a barcode reader app and scanned the numbers off of the boxes that it came in.

doctapibbs88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doctapibbs88
jertyler wrote:Here's a nice video review.

The review looks pretty positive. I like the built-in GPS.

A quick price search shows that you are basically getting the keyboard/dock for "free" here. Looks like a good deal to me.

I purchased this a few weeks ago from here and unfortunately I feel like the GPS is broken because it picks up 0 satellites no matter where I am.

Loeb

taimeili wrote:Can anyone tell me if the dock is OEM or made by some third party?

The original dock list price was around 100 bucks?

Dock is genuine ASUS.

Loeb

thePRO64 wrote:I bought this tablet from woot recently and I am amazed at how often I use it. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

We got one too and it ROCKS! Because of the 90 day warranty and the number of people reporting issues, I recommend getting one and using it a LOT in the beginning.

ckoobs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ckoobs

I am in med school and we have a ton of powerpoint notes (4000 pages this semester in one class) and I would love to not have paper print outs. Is there some program with this where I can open powerpoints and quickly take notes (with the keyboard or a stylus) right on the powerpoint slides?
TIA

dickrourke

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dickrourke

Seems Amazon just now wants $489 for both, if I have Prime for delivery.

ivanivanovich

quality posts: 24 Private Messages ivanivanovich

I bought one here, then the next time they came around I bought one for a cousin. Good stuff.

It updates itself to Android Jelly Bean 4.1.1.

ivanivanovich

quality posts: 24 Private Messages ivanivanovich

I've seen negative comments about the slot that holds the tablet cracking. But one reviewer thought people might be forcing the dock/tablet combo open too roughly, especially at first when the hinges might be tighter.

Along with that, they may not have seated the tablet all the way into the slot until the latches close. When I hauled mine out just now to check the Android version, it looked like I might have done that myself the last time I put it back together.

rdp5008

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rdp5008
thePRO64 wrote:I bought this tablet from woot recently and I am amazed at how often I use it. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

I also purchased this Asus from Woot before x-mas. I got the 16GB version. I love it! I use it daily while traveling. No issues for me! Recommended for the price.

I find myself using the keyboard dock for most daily activities. Typing emails or internet searches goes much quicker for me. At night I slip off the keyboard and either use the Kindle or Google reading app. Reading is comfortable. I was worried about the size because I upgraded from the original Kindle Fire. I love the larger size now! Build quality is good as well.

Oh yea...I have the tablet loaded with a 64GB microSD card and the dock loaded with a 64GB SD card. Movies, tv shows, books, music...yes please! One of the major reasons I didn't go for the beloved iPad! I'll probably ditch the iPhone next!

Minor issues:
The wifi antenna isn't exactly impressive, but works fine.

Some light bleeding around the edges of the screen only noticeable when the screen is black (ie: a movie or night-mode in a reading app).

larrydavidow

quality posts: 2 Private Messages larrydavidow

I bought two of these when they were on sale for $299 (16GB model w/keyboard dock). This is by far my favorite woot purchase! The wife loves hers too. Absolutely no issues with either of them.

Auto-updates to JellyBean as soon as it gets an internet connection.

Performance is phenomenal.

I highly recommend this. Buy buy buy!!! I'm sure they'll sell out before the end of the day.

rajuorbhikhu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rajuorbhikhu

Excellent tablet, i love mine....if you want a rugged case, i like the gumdrop...but is pricey.

Posting from last woot offer, read excellent comments here:

http://www.woot.com/offers/asus-10-1-tablet-keyboard-dock

Zavelin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zavelin
rajuorbhikhu wrote:Excellent tablet, i love mine....if you want a rugged case, i like the gumdrop...but is pricey.

Posting from last woot offer, read excellent comments here:

http://www.woot.com/offers/asus-10-1-tablet-keyboard-dock

Another vote for the Gumdrop case here. The case provides solid and sturdy protection end to end. The only caveat is that you cannot use it with the keyboard dock. There are cases on Amazon.com that do allow simultaneous use of the dock, but they do not touch the ruggedness of the Gumdrop. Using these cases have kept my tablet in absolutely like new condition, which lets me resell my tablets for top dollar.

Also BIG NOTICE to the Android rooters out there: you will be prompted to update to Jellybean when your TF300 is connected to Wifi. If you wish to root your tablet, DO NOT ACCEPT THIS UPDATE. Once you update to Android 4.1/Jellybean, you will only be able to root after downloading an app from ASUS that unlocks your tablet and voids the warranty. This application records your serial and email and sends the information to ASUS, who will refuse to service the tablet for any reason, even unrelated to rooting (spontaneous combustion? self-awareness and subsequent attempts by the device to destroy it's masters? Tough luck.)

This tool should work for rooting the tablet (again, BEFORE updating to Jellybean):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1706588&highlight=unroot

If you plan to update to Jellybean and wish to keep the root, you will also need an app called "Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper" to restore the root after the update. Without Voodoo, the root will be lost, and you will have to uses ASUS's warranty-obliterating app to have any shot at re-rooting it.

mbut47

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbut47
rdp5008 wrote:I also purchased this Asus from Woot before x-mas. I got the 16GB version. I love it! I use it daily while traveling. No issues for me! Recommended for the price.

I find myself using the keyboard dock for most daily activities. Typing emails or internet searches goes much quicker for me. At night I slip off the keyboard and either use the Kindle or Google reading app. Reading is comfortable. I was worried about the size because I upgraded from the original Kindle Fire. I love the larger size now! Build quality is good as well.

Oh yea...I have the tablet loaded with a 64GB microSD card and the dock loaded with a 64GB SD card. Movies, tv shows, books, music...yes please! One of the major reasons I didn't go for the beloved iPad! I'll probably ditch the iPhone next!

Minor issues:
The wifi antenna isn't exactly impressive, but works fine.

Some light bleeding around the edges of the screen only noticeable when the screen is black (ie: a movie or night-mode in a reading app).

TheLoolee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheLoolee

I purchased the 16G version of this tablet before myself Christmas too. It was $250 without the dock, but I was able to acquire a dock for $50 (gotta drive 40 miles to pick it up, but I wanted to go to Trader Joe's anyway). I love my tablet!

I had an issue with a dead area on the screen, dealt with asus tech support through a couple of emails and they had me do a "wipe data" which, after a couple of tries, has seemed to fix the problem completely. They sent me a RMA number to send back, if needed, but seems everything is working well now.

This is my first tablet, but I am extremely impressed with it's beautiful screen and how responsive and quick it is. I really haven't put it through all it's paces yet, but I feel I will continue to be happy with this purchase for a long time.

rajuorbhikhu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rajuorbhikhu
TheLoolee wrote:I purchased the 16G version of this tablet before myself Christmas too. It was $250 without the dock, but I was able to acquire a dock for $50 (gotta drive 40 miles to pick it up, but I wanted to go to Trader Joe's anyway). I love my tablet!

I had an issue with a dead area on the screen, dealt with asus tech support through a couple of emails and they had me do a "wipe data" which, after a couple of tries, has seemed to fix the problem completely. They sent me a RMA number to send back, if needed, but seems everything is working well now.

This is my first tablet, but I am extremely impressed with it's beautiful screen and how responsive and quick it is. I really haven't put it through all it's paces yet, but I feel I will continue to be happy with this purchase for a long time.

Trader Joe sells tablet accessories....gotta love those free spirits.

autoshoes

quality posts: 3 Private Messages autoshoes

How good would this be for a college student?

My only experience with android has been on my phone so I'm not too familiar with what productivity/office apps are available.
Mainly, my concern would be for document writing and printing. What's out there (for free and/or cheap) and are they any good?

SorryIWooted

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SorryIWooted
ckoobs wrote:I am in med school and we have a ton of powerpoint notes (4000 pages this semester in one class) and I would love to not have paper print outs. Is there some program with this where I can open powerpoints and quickly take notes (with the keyboard or a stylus) right on the powerpoint slides?
TIA

Polaris Office is bundled with the Transformer and offers read/write acces to Word, Powerpoint, and Excel. Not sure if you can hand write directly on the Powerpoint, but you can definitely use the keyboard to type in it.

corvettejoe

quality posts: 20 Private Messages corvettejoe

I'm still rocking my original TF101 w/keyboard dock. It's taken a beating but still looks new. I just flashed Jellybean to it last night and its still doing well.

The thing the TF300 has over mine, besides the faster processor, better graphics, more memory,etc... is it's more rounded edges. It's nicer to hold than my original one (more squared edges, wider feeling). This one is more slimmed down.

The keyboard dock is the best design I've ever seen for any type of device like this. I like that you can completely fold it up like a small netbook, or simply detach the screen and take it with you as just a tablet. The keyboard works very well for banging out emails, connecting USB devices to it, and has the extra SD slot for either extra storage or moving things too/from it, though you can do that with a thumbdrive too. I also like that the keyboard types very nicely. It's slightly smaller than a full size,but also think of the micro size of this whole device vs a laptop or netbook. THe final nice thing about having this keyboard dock is that it contains an additional battery. I've been able to watch near an entire season of a 1hr show while one vacation once, while still checking emails, chatting with friends on IM and surfing the web and using google maps to get where I'm going. Absolutely excellent design.

The tablet itself is also a top notch tablet, there's no reason not to get this, say, over a galaxy tab or other model. Asus makes top shelf products are solid designers and back their products up (I've replaced many an asus item over the years with no hassle, motherboards, etc).

If you're wondering if you can replace a laptop with this? Well... kind of. I did this exact thing a couple years ago, replacing an aging sub-notebook.... while yes you can doing most of your businessey things on it (theres many office suites compatible with MS Office you can use, then the full suite of google products, etc)... you can even plug a full size keyboard and mouse into it (or a wireless, or a bluetooth, I even got my Wii remote to work on it)... you can make it as laptopy as you want... but... it still doesn't replace an actual full blown OS if you're a power user.

I do a lot of photography while traveling, and while I always took this with me instead of my laptop, I found that I still had to have my laptop when I went shooting (larger storage space, and you can't replace lightroom, which only runs on a full vs Android).

So this is a great little device, Ive had a lot of fun using it, for light to medium use it can replace your laptop easily... you won't even need to worry about finding a plug for it all day, especially if docked (BTW you can use the tablet itself until it gets low, then plug it into the dock, as the dock charges the tablet back up).

At this price, especially being the 32GB model, I HIGHLY recommend this.

Note all review comments were based on my 1st gen TF101. Same design, same OS, just not as fast as this one.

meh3884

quality posts: 25 Private Messages meh3884

I ended up buying one of these new before xmas with a keyboard dock (not from woot). It is a pretty decent tablet. However, I would warn folks that it only has 1GB of RAM. I was pretty disappointed in the performance when I first got this tablet. I have gotten used to it some, but it has some trouble multitasking and I find if I want to start a movie or game, I need to kill all other tasks, otherwise it stutters and freezes. I've used 5 or 6 different browsers and all crash fairly often after freezing up loading a tough website or if you do too much too fast (like load a webpage, then stop it, try to go back, then minimize the browser).

I had issues on dolphin, skyfire, and firefox with the keyboard lagging when I typed. I have switched to Chrome, and while less featured, find it is the browser that performs best. On the plus, the battery life is outstanding, it is lightweight, the keyboard is easy to use and overall it is a decent tab. However, if you are more into the top of the line, I do have some regret I didn't shell out (and I realize it would be nearly double the price) for the TF700.

Also, if you want to root it, do follow the instructions on XDA. I rooted prior to updating to Jellybean, used OTA Rootkeeper, let it update, and have been good to go ever since. (AKA my warranty is in tact)

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

shoulda2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shoulda2

Bought this tablet awhile back, after finding a great deal on one. I can say it's the best tablet I have had a chance at using.
I have had 2 people at my work go from Ipads to these units after seeing the keyboard and battery life this thing gives you.

The keyboard is invaluable because of the usb ports that can be used to charge things and do easy transfer of files using usb sticks. If you need to type something beyond a single sentence as well it's great to have a real keyboard.

The only downsides I have are

1.) hard to find a case the does the keyboard and tablet together.

2.) not a mini or micro USB, so I ordered a spare cable just in case.

lindyp330

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lindyp330

After several months of saying no to tablets I finally pulled the trigger on this ASUS Transformer and dock in November. It's awesome! Very nice for travel because of the extra long battery life and size. I bought this leather case for my tablet/dock combo. Very high quality and excellent fit for the price. I used the Transformer to photograph and video Christmas with the case in place. All photos are crystal clear and video is exceptional. I also got the ArmorSuit MilitaryShield to protect the screen. Follow the directions and use lots of the liquid and let it dry for 24 hours and you will be very happy.

kildar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kildar
meh3884 wrote:Also, if you want to root it, do follow the instructions on XDA. I rooted prior to updating to Jellybean, used OTA Rootkeeper, let it update, and have been good to go ever since. (AKA my warranty is in tact)

is this worth rooting? i rooted my phone because, well, the verizon bloatware was annoying the hell out of me. is there much of a reason to root this TF?

reikimaster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reikimaster
shoulda2 wrote:Bought this tablet awhile back, after finding a great deal on one. I can say it's the best tablet I have had a chance at using.
I have had 2 people at my work go from Ipads to these units after seeing the keyboard and battery life this thing gives you.

The keyboard is invaluable because of the usb ports that can be used to charge things and do easy transfer of files using usb sticks. If you need to type something beyond a single sentence as well it's great to have a real keyboard.

Caseen Designo Perfecto case handles the tablet and keyboard dock perfectly. Leather case, beautifully finished, fits perfectly. Openings in all the right places and they line up. I have one.

Zavelin

kildar wrote:is this worth rooting? i rooted my phone because, well, the verizon bloatware was annoying the hell out of me. is there much of a reason to root this TF?

If only to get rid of the bloatware, yes. Other than that, there's nothing I personally haven't been able to do on an unrooted tablet.

garzman80

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garzman80

How would this handle editing HD videos? Our current laptop is ancient and can't, so I have been looking for a new laptop...but was wondering if this tablet would be sufficient?

Zavelin

reikimaster wrote:Caseen Designo Perfecto case handles the tablet and keyboard dock perfectly. Leather case, beautifully finished, fits perfectly. Openings in all the right places and they line up. I have one.

Link for the interested: https://www.caseen.com/Transformer-Pad-300-TF300-TF300T-TF300LT_c_39-2-0.html

This case doesn't even touch the Gumdrop in terms of ruggedness and accident-protection, but the Gumdrop is built to protect the tablet and the tablet only.

This looks like a very stylish way to keep the tablet + dock combo in your bag without dinging it up. I might pick one up.

Zavelin

garzman80 wrote:How would this handle editing HD videos? Our current laptop is ancient and can't, so I have been looking for a new laptop...but was wondering if this tablet would be sufficient?

How advanced are we talking in terms of editing? Just cutting out some sequences and putting in transitions, effects, and music?

If so, yes.

corvettejoe

kildar wrote:is this worth rooting? i rooted my phone because, well, the verizon bloatware was annoying the hell out of me. is there much of a reason to root this TF?

Out of the box and even after the 4.x android update (on my TF101), I had no bloatware at all.

The only reason to root it is if you just want that backup feature, or like to tinker and load other ROMS on it. Otherwise, its absolutely pointless on this type of device.

garzman80

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garzman80
Zavelin wrote:How advanced are we talking in terms of editing? Just cutting out some sequences and putting in transitions, effects, and music?

If so, yes.

Ok thanks!

corvettejoe

I ended up just using the RooCase leather case for the tablet itself. If I end up taking the whole thing somewhere, I just dock it and bought a little CaseLogic netbook case for it (fits like a glove an has a little pocket in the front for the charger)

The few cases I found that accommodated both the keyboard/tablet together were kind of clunky and gimmicky at best.

I figured you don't put a case on a laptop, so why put one on the docked tablet?