WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Cameras & Crap for Cameras

We're dying right now, even as you read this. Like sand in the hour glass, the remaining seconds of our lives are never going to be as plentiful as they are right now. So spend more time looking at pictures of stuff you already did. That should make you feel better.

Quality Posts

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Will any of these cameras make me look pretty? I have one that makes me look ugly already.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

blzben

quality posts: 4 Private Messages blzben

Can anyone recommend one of these, in the $100 range, for taking pix of some jewelry my girlfriend makes. I have a simple "lightbox" set up, but the camera we have now take craptastic macro pics.
Thanks.

pauldownsouth

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pauldownsouth

The Toshiba X416 camcorder is the one with the bad autofocus that can't be turned off. It's been here before. See the reviews on Amazon or from previous woots before purchasing.

note2001

quality posts: 25 Private Messages note2001
blzben wrote:Can anyone recommend one of these, in the $100 range, for taking pix of some jewelry my girlfriend makes. I have a simple "lightbox" set up, but the camera we have now take craptastic macro pics.
Thanks.

I don't have the model listed here, but rather the Panasonic DMC-zS6 from a previous woot over a year ago, and have to say the macro mode on the Lumix lens works amazingly well and I have no reason to upgrade my point & shoot camera at this time. That said, I only see two reviews over on amazon for this model being sold today, and they're less than stellar.

geoffvanleeuwen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geoffvanleeuwen

The T3i is a great camera, but I recommend saving your money and buying a body-only version. It's available on buy.com right now for $470. You're better off using the extra $130 on a prime 50mm lens and then buying a macro/zoom lens like the Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM. The 18-55mm kit lens leaves a lot to be desired. Here's the buy.com link for the body only camera.
http://www.buy.com/prod/canon-eos-rebel-t3i-18-megapixel-digital-slr-camera-body-only/220036285.html

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
ThunderThighs wrote:Will any of these cameras make me look pretty? I have one that makes me look ugly already.

A: Beauty comes from within.

B: Lighting, make-up and proper colors mean a lot.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

s40ward

quality posts: 0 Private Messages s40ward

Absolutely priceless caption. "We're dying right now, even as you read this. So spend more time looking at pictures of stuff you already did. That should make you feel better." A+. Whoever is writing this stuff deserves an award.

cwmserenity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwmserenity

Yea, you need to follow the sales stats. Looks like one person bought all of the available EOS SLRs or woot had only two to sell,looks like a schil to me?.... sorry Woot.

umzy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages umzy

Not a great deal on the cleaning kit. $1.95 more on Amazon for the newer Pro version of the same kit.

[urlhttp://www.amazon.com/LensPen-DSLR-Camera-Cleaning-NDSLRK-1/dp/B0081ER9KG[/url]

stupido

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stupido

I bought a Pentax Q with the 5-15mm zoom from another site. I took a chance and was rewarded nicely. Yes it is a point and shoot sized sensor. But you have the controls of a DSLR and it just feels natural. For me going from 35mm and DSLR to it is easy. On a typical point and shoot I am frustrated trying to change settings. Also, people seem less intimidated by it than my DSLR.

On the negative side, $500 is lot of money and would go a long way toward an APS-C sensor camera.

dirtylittlefly

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dirtylittlefly

Does anyone have input on the tripods? good deal, bad deal?

adhurt

quality posts: 14 Private Messages adhurt
dirtylittlefly wrote:Does anyone have input on the tripods? good deal, bad deal?

Good review.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWl_yMfaiWA

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity..." Lazarus Long

admrgd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages admrgd

Swan action camera looks like GoPro but not nearly as good. I got one and shot a segment side by side. Much better image quality and black levels on the GoPro, Sway video does not look HD when you compare to the GoPro, both at the 1080 resolution.