powermatt

quality posts: 7 Private Messages powermatt
Loeb wrote:The USB charging standard allows for up to 1.5 Amps when charging from a dedicated charging source.

http://tech.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5307311

The USB-A-Female port in an USUS tablet charger puts out 15 Volts DC when it detects that an ASUS tablet his plugged in (Not per the spec). Otherwise, it behaves per the USB spec and supplies only 5 Volts DC.

The XPAL chargers that provide voltages different from 5 VDC do it through round connectors, not USB connectors. They require a proprietary cable and have a selection of tips to charge with.

Ah, thought it was still at 500 mA. I know OEMs have been playing around with unofficial power ratings for a while, though.

Loeb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Loeb
powermatt wrote:Ah, thought it was still at 500 mA. I know OEMs have been playing around with unofficial power ratings for a while, though.

Sorry, that URL should have been http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/

parrotice

quality posts: 6 Private Messages parrotice

I've been looking for reasons I might need something like this. Someone mentioned hurricanes/power outages. That's a good one... I usually lose power during winter snow storms.

But, my iPhone will hold a change for more than a day, so I'm not sure I'd need it for that. My iPad, on the other hand, might make more sense. I know I've been in an airport, between flights, wondering if the battery will last through the next leg of my trip (there was also that time in France where 3 people with 4 devices had to share 1 outlet. yikes)

So... questions...
1. I've seen lots of mentions of using this with iPad 2/3. What about the original iPad? any reason it wont work with that (Is my iPad an antique??)
2. Can I use my device while it's connected, or do I use this to recharge, then use the device? ie: in the blizzard, no power, ipad down to 20%... can I hook up to this and watch my movie while it's charging (or at least connected), or do I have to wait until it's recharged?
3. any reason I couldnt use this ON an airplane? any FAA rules that will cause the air marshals to tackle me in the isle for using illegal power devices?
4. What do others use them for? camping? long car trips? third world airports? zombie apocalypse?

Where's the crap?

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
Loeb wrote:I have that one from Amazon. It's identical (though white). The difference in the specs is not significant. I have used it a few times and it works as expected. It still sucks that you cant use the battery at the same time that you are charging it.

If I'm charging this thing, I'm at home, and if I'm at home I can plug my phone/ipad/whatever into the wall. Where's the problem?

NeoGeo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NeoGeo

I just Purchased the 11,000mAh, will this work to power my Raspberry Pi? And if so is there a way to figure out how long?

Thanks!

Loeb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Loeb
NeoGeo wrote:I just Purchased the 11,000mAh, will this work to power my Raspberry Pi? And if so is there a way to figure out how long?

Thanks!

Divide 11,000 mAh by the current draw of your Ra-Pi. Version A requires 300 mA, version B 700 mAh. That means 36 or 16 hours depending on the Ra-Pi version you have. If you have any peripherals plugged into your Ra-Pi, they will consume energy as well.

eqquantumcat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eqquantumcat

For the Ingress players out there this is a must. In for 1

glenasmith

quality posts: 5 Private Messages glenasmith
parrotice wrote:
But, my iPhone will hold a change for more than a day, so I'm not sure I'd need it for that.

Your phone may hold a charge for a day under normal circumstances, but if it is the only communication device you have, you may be using it more. The phone also may be running at a higher power level (therefore using battery faster) if some of the local cell towers are not available. As for one day being enough - check your fav search engine for how long power was out after Hurricane Sandy.
Tip - In emergency situations, avoid voice communications, use text msgs. Your device power will last longer and you may be more likely to get through since SMS uses less bandwidth.

parrotice wrote:
So... questions...
1. I've seen lots of mentions of using this with iPad 2/3. What about the original iPad? any reason it wont work with that (Is my iPad an antique??)

As long as the device will charge from USB these devices should charge it. Perhaps slower or faster depending on the output of the port on the uNu device you are using. (Yes, your iPad is an antique, as long as it still works, who cares? With care, the battery is probably the first thing to go, so this may actually extend its life.)

parrotice wrote:
2. Can I use my device while it's connected, or do I use this to recharge, then use the device? ie: in the blizzard, no power, ipad down to 20%... can I hook up to this and watch my movie while it's charging (or at least connected), or do I have to wait until it's recharged?

Plug your device into your computers USB port and start it charging. If you can use the device while charging from your computers USB, it should work the same way with the uNu pack.

parrotice wrote:
3. any reason I couldnt use this ON an airplane? any FAA rules that will cause the air marshals to tackle me in the isle for using illegal power devices?

According to the FCC there are no reasons you shouldn't be able to use most electronic devices on planes anyway. http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/travelkit/fcc-urges-faa-rethink-electronic-devices-planes-rule-1C7500898
As for whether any given planes electronic device compliance bonehead (woot won't let me use the right word) will tackle you for using this - they shouldn't - it is simply a remote battery pack. If you are allowed to use iPad/ MP3 players at that stage of your flight, this device is good to go.

parrotice wrote:
4. What do others use them for? camping? long car trips? third world airports? zombie apocalypse?

All that and more. Especially the Zombie Apocalypse.

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8
philosopherott wrote:OR you coud grab one of these

I'm sure that would come in very handy on a plane.

boohiney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boohiney

Can't believe everyone considering this POS. The ravpower has 10,400 mah with the capacity of charging and operating Ipad 4 and a Iphone 5 at the same time, while still being able to charge its battery and gets great reviews on amazon.
and cheaper than this uNu that gets less than average reviews.
I have owned many packs b4, the Rav by far is the best hands down...now if this sounds like a sales pitch it is'nt.

Good Luck fellow wooters

http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower®-Dynamo-On--RP-PB07