2%
1%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Will the 11Ah one charge up while passing through charge to an iPad? In other words, both charging at the same time?

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

ps6000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ps6000

If I still havent received the one I bought last month in the woot-off can I buy this one for $10 cheaper?

[MOD: Looking at your order; you should have received it by now. Pls email support@woot.com for assistance. Please include your woot username and order number for faster service.]

bnbsouthworth

quality posts: 56 Private Messages bnbsouthworth

$80 at amazon for 11k

Amazon 11k pack

$50 for the 5k

Amazon 5k pack

Loeb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Loeb
ckeilah wrote:Will the 11Ah one charge up while passing through charge to an iPad? In other words, both charging at the same time?

I bought an identical version of the 11,000mAh battery pack from a different brand it it doesn't charge your devices while it is charging. This REALLY sucks. I would assume the same behavior here unless someone can claim differently.

hehthuryo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages hehthuryo

The 11,000 is the size of a portable hard drive so not really pocket friendly but great size for a bookbag/briefcase/messenger/purse.

synaesthetique

quality posts: 1 Private Messages synaesthetique
ckeilah wrote:Will the 11Ah one charge up while passing through charge to an iPad? In other words, both charging at the same time?

Bought one last time it was on the main page sub-category.

Tested this out and it does NOT output power while the battery itself is being charged up.

What you can do instead is get a cheap $5 usb hub, plug that into your main ac adapter and plug both the battery pack and the ipad into the hub. Just make sure the hub is rated for 2.1 amps (most are) and the standard ipad charger will have no problem handling this load it will just take longer to charge both devices.

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
synaesthetique wrote:Bought one last time it was on the main page sub-category.

Tested this out and it does NOT output power while the battery itself is being charged up.

What you can do instead is get a cheap $5 usb hub, plug that into your main ac adapter and plug both the battery pack and the ipad into the hub. Just make sure the hub is rated for 2.1 amps (most are) and the standard ipad charger will have no problem handling this load it will just take longer to charge both devices.

Oh, sure, and open a hole into another universe. You'll have that on your head, then.

Bezalel

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Bezalel

How much current do I need to provide before the charging circuitry engages? I am using a solar panel that under optimal conditions can only provide 0.5 amps.

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8

It will not. I ended up getting this thing:

It works great. I end up charging my phone, my wife's phone, one of our tablets and the battery pack all at the same time.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZTU0OO

It's kind of big, but there are plenty of other ones out there. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-Dual-Port-Travel-Charger/dp/B0073FE1F0

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8
hehthuryo wrote:The 11,000 is the size of a portable hard drive so not really pocket friendly but great size for a bookbag/briefcase/messenger/purse.

I agree. For carrying in the pocket I still use one of those Duracell ones I got from woot over a year ago.

Alfredenigma

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Alfredenigma

I have the razr maxx and most battery packs only get my up to about half a charge. Ive been looking for something for a good price to be able to keep my phone charged for more then a day. This one is even better now i can charge my phone and my N7.

noop

Alfredenigma

Was just about to buy this but the check out page was taking forever so i headed over to amazon to read the reviews and found this http://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc-12000mAh-External-Motorola-Blackberry/dp/B0098EO61S/ref=pd_sim_sbs_cps_5
Larger battery cheaper price good reviews anyone notice any reason why the one here might or might not be better then the one posted above?

noop

Loeb

Alfredenigma wrote:Was just about to buy this but the check out page was taking forever so i headed over to amazon to read the reviews and found this http://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc-12000mAh-External-Motorola-Blackberry/dp/B0098EO61S/ref=pd_sim_sbs_cps_5
Larger battery cheaper price good reviews anyone notice any reason why the one here might or might not be better then the one posted above?

I have that one from Amazon. It's identical (though white). The difference in the specs is not significant. I have used it a few times and it works as expected. It still sucks that you cant use the battery at the same time that you are charging it.

Alfredenigma

Loeb wrote:I have that one from Amazon. It's identical (though white). The difference in the specs is not significant. I have used it a few times and it works as expected. It still sucks that you cant use the battery at the same time that you are charging it.

Thanks for the info i went ahead and ordered the amazon one the lower price,free shipping (prime)(And that everything i order from here (woot) seems to take a long time to ship out and i need one of these asap.) pushed it over the edge.

noop

ciabelle

quality posts: 16 Private Messages ciabelle

Anyone have the dimensions and weights for these packs?

I picked up a generic 10000mAh power pack from the Bay for under $30. So that my husband who started smoking again can use his Kindle Fire outside all day without an electrical outlet nearby.

His is almost as big as the Kindle and heavy enough that he often appears to be listing. He complains that it doesn't work very well or at all in frigid temperatures. My only complaint about his pack are the painfully bright blue LEDs which indicate charge level.

I wouldn't mind having one for myself when I'm on the go, but am curious if my fellow Wooters have seen any real advantage in these over the purely generic packs.

Loeb

ciabelle wrote:Anyone have the dimensions and weights for these packs?

I picked up a generic 10000mAh power pack from the Bay for under $30. So that my husband who started smoking again can use his Kindle Fire outside all day without an electrical outlet nearby.

His is almost as big as the Kindle and heavy enough that he often appears to be listing. He complains that it doesn't work very well or at all in frigid temperatures. My only complaint about his pack are the painfully bright blue LEDs which indicate charge level.

I wouldn't mind having one for myself when I'm on the go, but am curious if my fellow Wooters have seen any real advantage in these over the purely generic packs.

The 11,000 one is 10.2 ounces and 4.8" x 3.25" x 1"

BTW, we have the Energizer/XPAL XP-8000 as well and it rocks.

After buying the ASUS Transformer TF300, I now appreciate the battery packs with greater than 5 volt output. This uNu battery pack will only put out 4 volts over the USB port which is fine for smart phones and other devices that can't charge at more than 5 volts. But the ASUS tablets and most tablets require a higher voltage to charge at a reasonable rate (or at all). Battery packs that have other voltage outputs and have a provision for additional tips can charge these devices in addition to vanilla USB charging.

sfgadgetman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sfgadgetman

does anyone know if the 5,000 has an LED flash light and micro USB. Woot seems to have dropped the ball when it comes to the specs.

beachhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages beachhead
ps6000 wrote:If I still havent received the one I bought last month in the woot-off can I buy this one for $10 cheaper?

If it hasn't been shipped yet, if my experience holds true, the answer is "maybe". I bought several products on the same day for Christmas presents. I received all but one and a week or so later, one hadn't shipped. So I sent an inquiry to customer service, and they just refunded my money.

The reason I say "maybe" is this took a couple days. So, since this is the featured item, you might have to take a gamble, and buy this today, hoping to get the same answer I did.

If you do, remember that's YOUR choice, not mine, and don't scream to the woot Gods if it doesn't work out, since sometimes things happen.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

You don't need a battery pack, this is what you need:

This way you can make lunch and power your USB devices all at the same time.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1203647021/the-powerpot

jonathanluu2

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jonathanluu2
ciabelle wrote:Anyone have the dimensions and weights for these packs?

The details state that the batteries are Lithium Polymer batteries, which like to stay warm to operate at full capacity. Keep them in a pocket or the like and you should be fine.

I do not own one so I cant say on the intensity of the lights, but it appears that this is an older model based on the additional charge lights on the uNu website. It doesnt look significantly different though.

With batteries, you get what you pay for in most cases. "Generic" batteries are usually cheap, reproduced replicas of an existing design with low quality control. Having a "name brand" implies a higher quality. Not always the case, but I would jump for this before "generic" if I was in the market for one.

J.Cathode

powermatt

quality posts: 8 Private Messages powermatt
Loeb wrote:The 11,000 one is 10.2 ounces and 4.8" x 3.25" x 1"

BTW, we have the Energizer/XPAL XP-8000 as well and it rocks.

After buying the ASUS Transformer TF300, I now appreciate the battery packs with greater than 5 volt output. This uNu battery pack will only put out 4 volts over the USB port which is fine for smart phones and other devices that can't charge at more than 5 volts. But the ASUS tablets and most tablets require a higher voltage to charge at a reasonable rate (or at all). Battery packs that have other voltage outputs and have a provision for additional tips can charge these devices in addition to vanilla USB charging.

The USB standard voltage is five volts. There shouldn't be anything providing more or less than that because it would cause quite a few problems with devices either not working or getting fried. Have you measured this voltage?

Now amperage works a bit differently. The USB spec for that is only 500 mA, but a device can be rated for more since amperage is on demand, and a device will only use as much as it needs.

glenasmith

quality posts: 5 Private Messages glenasmith

5000 mah - http://www.myunu.com/enerpak-tube-battery-pack-iphone-5-4s-ipads.html

11000 mah - http://www.myunu.com/enerpak-vault-iphone-5-battery-pack.html

I found a little bit of information on the manufacturer web site. The 5000 says in the description: The ultra portable extended battery pack with built-in LED flash. If we could get an answer to the question of how little incoming voltage will charge (the solar panel charging question above) these might be worth the guilt of buying them outside the budget.

Glen
PS. Shipping seems to be better lately.

jonathanluu2

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jonathanluu2
bnbsouthworth wrote:$80 at amazon for 11k

Amazon 11k pack

$50 for the 5k

Amazon 5k pack

Looks to be the "newer" version with snazzy charge bars.

powermatt

quality posts: 8 Private Messages powermatt
jonathanluu2 wrote:The details state that the batteries are Lithium Polymer batteries, which like to stay warm to operate at full capacity. Keep them in a pocket or the like and you should be fine.

I do not own one so I cant say on the intensity of the lights, but it appears that this is an older model based on the additional charge lights on the uNu website. It doesnt look significantly different though.

With batteries, you get what you pay for in most cases. "Generic" batteries are usually cheap, reproduced replicas of an existing design with low quality control. Having a "name brand" implies a higher quality. Not always the case, but I would jump for this before "generic" if I was in the market for one.

J.Cathode

Totally agree with your last paragraph. Generic batteries can be a scary proposition. I usually avoid them like the plague. I know they're not all bad, but a battery fire is no joke and I'd rather not take that risk.

boohiney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boohiney

Forget these battery packs. What you need is this:
http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower%C2%AE-Dynamo-On--RP-PB07-originally-Thunderbolt/dp/B009V5X1CE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357824416&sr=8-2&keywords=ravpower
I own 3 and they will charge while powering/charging 2 devices

XterraGuy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages XterraGuy

Yeah, I got one a few weeks back, it's got both.

sfgadgetman wrote:does anyone know if the 5,000 has an LED flash light and micro USB. Woot seems to have dropped the ball when it comes to the specs.

genel2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages genel2
Loeb wrote:BTW, we have the Energizer/XPAL XP-8000 as well and it rocks.

After my XP8000 was run over by a car, I waited for months for another WOOT appearance. Finally bought an XP18000. Big advantage over this one is the three output voltages and the XPAL tips.

philosopherott

quality posts: 3 Private Messages philosopherott
gak0090 wrote:You don't need a battery pack, this is what you need:

This way you can make lunch and power your USB devices all at the same time.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1203647021/the-powerpot

OR you coud grab one of these

philosopherott

quality posts: 3 Private Messages philosopherott

I presume that even though it says that the larger of the two will charge any tablet it will only charge tablets taht charge via USB.
My Acer Iconia a500 (which i got from woot and love) does not charge via USB are there adapters?

hardaker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hardaker

Please check the specs on your phone (or whatever) before you buy... The specifications for this say that 1A will charge almost anything, but the reality is that many phones actually will eat more than 1A while charging. Sometimes they'll charge more slowly, but more often than not they'll just go into "powered but not charging" mode if the current isn't sufficient.

dpware

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dpware

How long/well do these maintain their charge if they are just sitting around?

SnappyCrunch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnappyCrunch
hardaker wrote:...the reality is that many phones actually will eat more than 1A while charging.

This is untrue. Some phones probably can eat a full 1000ma, but most phones ship with chargers that max out at 700ma. Now, tablets like the iPad require a 2100ma charger, and phones like the blackberry require a blackberry compatibe charger, but the "many phones eating more than 1A" claim is pushing it.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
philosopherott wrote:OR you coud grab one of these

This one is definitely better. Nice job!

Loeb

powermatt wrote:The USB standard voltage is five volts. There shouldn't be anything providing more or less than that because it would cause quite a few problems with devices either not working or getting fried. Have you measured this voltage?

Now amperage works a bit differently. The USB spec for that is only 500 mA, but a device can be rated for more since amperage is on demand, and a device will only use as much as it needs.

The USB charging standard allows for up to 1.5 Amps when charging from a dedicated charging source.

[Corrected URL]
http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/

The USB-A-Female port in an USUS tablet charger puts out 15 Volts DC when it detects that an ASUS tablet his plugged in (Not per the spec). Otherwise, it behaves per the USB spec and supplies only 5 Volts DC.

The XPAL chargers that provide voltages different from 5 VDC do it through round connectors, not USB connectors. They require a proprietary cable and have a selection of tips to charge with.

Loeb

powermatt wrote:Totally agree with your last paragraph. Generic batteries can be a scary proposition. I usually avoid them like the plague. I know they're not all bad, but a battery fire is no joke and I'd rather not take that risk.

My experience is the same

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 560 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sfgadgetman wrote:does anyone know if the 5,000 has an LED flash light and micro USB. Woot seems to have dropped the ball when it comes to the specs.

It has an LED light.

The microUSB port is for charging the battery(IN).

Has a regular USB for charging the device (out).

The Tube:

PS: Vault has the same microUSB port.

The Specs tab should be updated in a bit with voltage and a few other goodies.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sincecc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sincecc

that sounds dirty

PhilCarr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages PhilCarr

Yeah, because both of these products will fit in your pocket or briefcase...

Seriously I don't see myself needing it, but no one should be without something like it (even the below quoted products) if they live in a area prone to power outtage. Hurricanes are killer on cell phone battery life.

philosopherott wrote:OR you coud grab one of these

mac daddy1

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mac daddy1

Amazon reviews on the 11,000 battery. Four reviews, five stars.