2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

We offered these once before a while back. How about some previous buyers chiming in with some feedback?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

rafcon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages rafcon

This seems like a great idea! Especially for outside light sockets and getting your music out there. Wonder how weather proof they are...

I got a fever... and the only prescription... is more woot!
  • Woots
  • More Woots
  • Even More Woots
  • And Counting...

Jaxidian

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Jaxidian

Man, wish these supported Bluetooth!!

Troy28M

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Troy28M

Kind of expensive considering the light will not last forever...is the LED replaceable?

Troy Johnson

Samus

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Samus
Troy28M wrote:Kind of expensive considering the light will not last forever...is the LED replaceable?

Dude, by the time the LED dies these things will be technological antiques.

iamheretowinp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iamheretowinp

so do you get 2 lights/speakers or just 1?

ThunderThighs

Staff

iamheretowinp wrote:so do you get 2 lights/speakers or just 1?

You are getting 2. From the specs tab:

In the box:

(2) Sylvania ML-1 MusicLite Units
Transmitter (Choose: Apple 30-pin, USB or Universal 3.5mm)
Remote Control
Manual

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sayah

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sayah

Still confused? He Ain't...

Looks cool and he says it pays for itself....so that's like free. right?

Actually seems cool and useful and a good deal but I don't want to drop a hundy on them.

[MOD: Embedded the video for you.]

susan1125

quality posts: 2 Private Messages susan1125

What are the options for hooking this up to a TV? The speakers in my flat panel are crap - do I have to go through a receiver to drive these or will they connect to the back panel of the TV or a sound bar?

Cool concept . . .

Debating on whether they'd work for the application I have in mind.

relsek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages relsek
susan1125 wrote:What are the options for hooking this up to a TV? The speakers in my flat panel are crap - do I have to go through a receiver to drive these or will they connect to the back panel of the TV or a sound bar?

Cool concept . . .

Debating on whether they'd work for the application I have in mind.

The don't need a receiver because they have their own amplifiers built in. This means they just need the audio signal. For using with your tv, I think the 3.5mm analog transmitter would be the best option, since you could just plug it into the audio-out plug on your tv if it has one. If it doesn't have one, then you might be able to use an adapter from analog red and white plugs to a headphone plug.

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234

500 Lumen output? Of the LED bulbs that I have researched, they often round up the wattage equivalency rating for these bulbs even though the lumen output is less than a 65w incandescent. Think more like 40-50w incandescent equivalent.
12w led is 60w equivalent, unless LED tech has gotten better in the past year.
These LED bulbs from the specs are 10 watts, maybe less since they say the whole thing including the speaker takes only 10 watts.

kyotoxox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kyotoxox

So, if the light is off do the speakers still work?

hippie19

quality posts: 21 Private Messages hippie19

So anyone have any audio delay specs for this. Will there be a difference between picture on the TV and the explosion I hear? Will it be negligible? I was in Target a few weeks ago and there were a few TVs that were off, super creepy echo effect.

I would love to have 2 of these in every room, but the price just turns over that idea.

kadsworld

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kadsworld
kyotoxox wrote:So, if the light is off do the speakers still work?

From the manual:

MusicLites will not operate if there is no power being applied, but you can turn lights off with the remote control without affecting the audio output.

plasticpopcorn4

quality posts: 5 Private Messages plasticpopcorn4

yay seizure time!

rougebaton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rougebaton

I'm in for two sets: one for the patio connected to the Bose soundwave and one for the kitchen connected to the TV. Now, will the wife allow the 'different' lightbulb in the kitchen? We shall see in time....

fluidj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fluidj
sayah wrote:Still confused? He Ain't...

Actually seems cool and useful and a good deal but I don't want to drop a hundy on them.

Why would a Priest need these though??

recotton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages recotton

I was thinking of putting these in my flood lights out by the pool, but, "Do not install this product anywhere it may be in direct contact with water or exposed to rain or moisture," and "Do not use or install this product outdoors."
http://assets.sylvania.com/assets/Documents/ML%20PIB%208.8b5596c3-4cb5-420b-8a34-cb7ecae02a69.pdf

This would have been great for my application Great idea though. I am sure I will find somewhere to put some of these.

elvi007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elvi007
kyotoxox wrote:So, if the light is off do the speakers still work?

No. The speakers have to be powered and there is no power until the lights are on.

rrussell

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rrussell

Weren't these just on for $180 recently?

[edit]

Yeah: http://moofi.woot.com/offers/sylvania-musiclites-speaker-led-lights-2

What's the difference that makes them $80 less now?

Rokinron1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rokinron1

If I purchased 2 sets (4 musiclites) would I need both remotes to control all of them or could I simply use the 1 remote and 1 transmitter?

SonjaLarsen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SonjaLarsen

Does anyone know how cool or warm these lights are? I hate bluish tinged lights. Also, could I use them with lights on a dimmer switch?
Thanks!

dgianetti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dgianetti
ThunderThighs wrote:We offered these once before a while back. How about some previous buyers chiming in with some feedback?

I bought these during the last woot. Looking back at my purchases, I paid $189. I am very pleased with them. We recently had a party and used them all night with streaming audio from a nearby computer. Everyone was asking where the speakers were. The sound quality isn't what you'd get out of a high-end speaker, but it's quite good, especially for what it is. In our case, I wanted to move a speaker for the party. I just unscrewed it, swapped the bulb with another recessed light and off we went. No wires and about 5 minutes to set them up. I had several people asking where they can get them. I'm going to buy two more right now for other rooms in the house. The added transmitter is a bonus.

I also saw people commenting about the LED light. 1: The LEDs should outlast the speaker. Average lifespan should be somewhere around 10 years of normal usage. 2: I have 65w incandescents and CFL equivalents in the rooms where these are. It's almost indistinguishable between the two. The hue is slightly different, but not by much.

tzstlouis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tzstlouis

How cool!
what a great way to get music into our kitchen....

Here's a YouTube video about the product

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1M2WbMdXRQ

Runey00

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Runey00

So I purchased 2 sets of these last time it was up, unfortunately I spent $180.00 a pair of them.

I honestly love these things. I have one set in my office, one set at my home. The connections I have are the ipod dongle and standard 3.5 mm headphone jack.

The Good: The sound on these are great, the lights are very very bright but it is adjustable. The setup was very easy, it took just 10 minutes from unboxing to playing. The remote is very powerful and I can control the lights from across the room. The very best thing about them... NO MESSY WIRES!

The Bad: The lights themselves are bulky, so if you have any sort of fixture around the socket it will protrude out of it awkwardly or just plain won't fit. When bass is put up on high levels, it can get jarry, especially if there is a fixture but I guess that should be expected. Even though the light is adjustable, it is still too bright even on the lowest settings, mainly because the beam is too focused, almost like a flashlight. Looking at them can be blinding at times.

Overall, I would recommend these lights especially at 100 a pair, I am going to buy 2 more pairs myself. They are a great showpiece and always intrigues a crowd on where in the world is the music coming from!?

Runey00

Rokinron1 wrote:If I purchased 2 sets (4 musiclites) would I need both remotes to control all of them or could I simply use the 1 remote and 1 transmitter?

1 remote can run all of them.

Runey00

SonjaLarsen wrote:Does anyone know how cool or warm these lights are? I hate bluish tinged lights. Also, could I use them with lights on a dimmer switch?
Thanks!

They get slightly warm but nothing unbearable.

danhaupt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danhaupt
SonjaLarsen wrote:Does anyone know how cool or warm these lights are? I hate bluish tinged lights. Also, could I use them with lights on a dimmer switch?
Thanks!

No personal experience, but the manual says that the speaker lights might not/probably won't dim with the wall dimmer, but will work, and the remote can be used to adjust the light and sound levels.

Firebomb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Firebomb

Has anyone noticed any interference with other wireless gadgets? The specs have them at 2.4 GHz

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

70mm speaker is less than 3 inches. Specs give low end of range at 100Hz. That sounds optimistic. Most 70mm speakers bottom out at 150-200Hz.

The male human voice goes down to about 80Hz, never mind drums, bass guitar, etc.

So these may be fine for low-expectations background music, not much else.

firefgtn8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firefgtn8

How can a review be done on these without showing them in action? Makes me nervous on a purchase!

sayah wrote:Still confused? He Ain't...

yubakram

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yubakram

Having airplay devices in the home , would this solution also work attached to an iPhone or iPad while playing an AirPlay speaker.. if so would there be any sync issues? This would be a great easy cheap way to get music in a couple of hallways..

Thanks

croman0

quality posts: 1 Private Messages croman0

I love these. I have 10 of these throughout my house now and at this price I will by at least 4 more.

I use these in my Kitchen, Bathroom, Hallways, Outside, and as the rear speakers in my media room. I would recommend the 30pin for any legacy ipad/phone/pod owner and the 3.5mm to connect to any existing stereo.

I have a separate channel for the media room to play sound for the home theater and another channel to play music throughout the house.

These will fit into lamps and any light fixture that is not tight on space (as mentioned, they fit fine into my outdoor fixtures).

Last time these where on Woot I spent all day thinking about them and they sold out. I found them again for $89 for one with transmitter last year. This is the best price I have seen $99 for 2 lites and transmitter.

Gr8brit1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gr8brit1

The fact that you have to choose which transmitter you want to go with your purchase bothers me, why don't you get all 3, I want all 3 options for versatility. Even though I wish to buy two sets and will get two choices, I still want the 3rd, this is holding me back from hitting the Buy button..

nzahn1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nzahn1
Thanks!

I know the other folks that responded were clueless on the issue, but the Specs say, "Color Temperature: 3000°K "

Which would put these LEDs in the Warm White range. Similar to a halogen bulb.

ThunderThighs

Staff

firefgtn8 wrote:How can a review be done on these without showing them in action? Makes me nervous on a purchase!

Keep checking back here today. We've sold these before so you should see some more feedback as people wake up and start to post.

ncsuwolf96

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ncsuwolf96
Gr8brit1 wrote:The fact that you have to choose which transmitter you want to go with your purchase bothers me, why don't you get all 3, I want all 3 options for versatility. Even though I wish to buy two sets and will get two choices, I still want the 3rd, this is holding me back from hitting the Buy button..

I agree, but the 3.5mm connection would probably be the best across many different applications.

pxpaulx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pxpaulx
Rokinron1 wrote:If I purchased 2 sets (4 musiclites) would I need both remotes to control all of them or could I simply use the 1 remote and 1 transmitter?

No, one remote will rule them all. The lights can be set for upto 5 zones, and then you can have upto 3 different audio sources (you'd need 3 different adapters to do this).

pxpaulx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pxpaulx
elvi007 wrote:No. The speakers have to be powered and there is no power until the lights are on.

The wall switch needs to be on, however you can turn the light off via the remote and still play music, so long as the wall switch is turned on. Also, the wall switch will turn the light on/off as normal without the remote for everyday use.