2%
7%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

dreconus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dreconus

These notebooks are supposed to be Durable and Reliant as a Lenovo. That may be true; but, nothing is as reliable as a Lenovo (The Tank of Computers)

Edit: I have seen these Notebooks, but after doing more research in the past half-hour. I am More thoroughly convinced that these Notebooks live to the Hype of terms like "Long Lasting", "Durable" and my favorite "Tank".

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind

PC Magazine review:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400124,00.asp

Note: That review is for the i7 and 1080p version of the same model though. This Woot! has the i5 processor and 1600x900 screen option, but still the same chassis and very respectable M5950 graphics card which should significantly outperform any integrated graphics.

webfiiish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages webfiiish

so... it is worthy or not?

dreconus

webfiiish wrote:so... it is worthy or not?

You wont be doing any real gaming on this thing. It is meant as a General Purpose/School/Business use Notebook. It is not bad for the power your getting for the price, as well as the Length of the Battery. This thing even has RJ-11... You have plenty of connections for multi-purpose.

webdev511

quality posts: 38 Private Messages webdev511

I've got one of these with an i7 in it. The only wild card with the ones that come with an i5 is if they have two or four memory slots. If it's got four, you can find a genuine i7 Quad (qm) and load 32GB of RAM into it. Even if there are only two you could still swap CPU's with a qm and bump the ram to 16GB.

The Windows Experience Index score for gaming is a solid 6.9. I've played Metro 2033 on it with high (not MAX) settings and the graphics are solid.

Build wise these things are TANKS. They actually make ThinkPads feel kind of cheap.

russela

quality posts: 4 Private Messages russela

At least we won't be hearing from the
"Generation 3 Ponies only 1366x768 resolution" gang.

dreconus

webdev511 wrote:I've got one of these with an i7 in it. The only wild card with the ones that come with an i5 is if they have two or four memory slots. If it's got four, you can find a genuine i7 Quad (qm) and load 32GB of RAM into it. Even if there are only two you could still swap CPU's with a qm and bump the ram to 16GB.

Build wise these things are TANKS. They actually make ThinkPads feel kind of cheap.

There is almost no reason to go past 8GB in any Notebooks.

webdev511

quality posts: 38 Private Messages webdev511
dreconus wrote:There is almost no reason to go past 8GB in any Notebooks.

I'm a road warrior technology consultant. I have 32GB in mine and run a complete virtual server farm for development and testing solutions. Yes I run out of RAM.

redtalus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redtalus

Did anyone notice on the mobile site under "in the box" it says its an i7 ?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

redtalus wrote:Did anyone notice on the mobile site under "in the box" it says its an i7 ?

Thanks for pointing that out. We'll get that fixed in a few minutes.

UPDATE: And it's fixed.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ThunderThighs

Staff

As pointed out above, this is a business-class laptop. That means that it is built tough to withstand constant travel, bumps, and thunks. It also has a dock connector that consumer laptops don't have.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

kmartind

dreconus wrote:you wont be doing any real gaming on this thing. It is meant as a General Purpose/School/Business use Notebook. It is not bad for the power your getting for the price.

Looks like it's actually meant to be a "mobile workstation" so it's going to be VERY solidly built (and heavy as a result), and with a graphics card that's ISV certified for things like AutoCAD, etc.
So not so much "general purpose" really. More targeted at things like engineering, CAD, graphic design, video.

The build quality looks exceptional for this price range, but if you're really serious about CAD/Graphic Design/etc, you'd likely want the version with an i7 and 1080p screen, and ideally the IPS screen that I guess they call "DreamColor." Unfortunately, that would more than double the price easily.

On the other hand, if one were to put in 8GB or even 16GB of RAM and an SSD, and plug it into a large, good quality monitor when doing heavy work it would probably still make an excellent system for those tasks.

It could also be a nice and sturdy college or business laptop with good performance, as long as one doesn't need to travel very light.

Edit: Found a video about the durability testing on these models:

penwynd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages penwynd

So, I have a 15" Lenovo Thinkpad and it sucks. The minute you open ANY window it pops up with "Low Memory" due to it's Q drive. I want Windows 7 as 8 is a total headache. My questions are: How much does this weigh? Does it REALLY have a DVD drive onboard? I need this to Perform working tasks not surfing or gaming so competent is better than fast bells and whistles. Any advice?

ThunderThighs

Staff

penwynd wrote:So, I have a 15" Lenovo Thinkpad and it sucks. The minute you open ANY window it pops up with "Low Memory" due to it's Q drive. I want Windows 7 as 8 is a total headache. My questions are: How much does this weigh? Does it REALLY have a DVD drive onboard? I need this to Perform working tasks not surfing or gaming so competent is better than fast bells and whistles. Any advice?

From the specs:

Optical Drive: SuperMulti DVD±RW DL

FORUM MODERATOR

kmartind

penwynd wrote:So, I have a 15" Lenovo Thinkpad and it sucks. The minute you open ANY window it pops up with "Low Memory" due to it's Q drive. I want Windows 7 as 8 is a total headache.

The Q drive is just a part of the disk reserved for use if restoring the computer back to factory defaults. So it sounds like you might just be out of disk space? You might be able to resolve that by simply moving some of your files to an external hard drive or a USB flash drive. If they are important you should still have backup copies stored in more than one location though, for example on DVD and on a USB flash drive, or a server, or an online backup service.

It would also be possible to upgrade the hard drive in your existing laptop to a larger one, but you would probably need to pay someone to do it if you don't feel comfortable taking out screws and removing components from the laptop.
The same goes for upgrading the (RAM) memory.

My questions are: How much does this weigh? Does it REALLY have a DVD drive onboard? I need this to Perform working tasks not surfing or gaming so competent is better than fast bells and whistles. Any advice?

It's fairly heavy, even for a 15" laptop, at over 6 1/2 pounds. That's because it's built like a tank. That is still a manageable weight, but don't expect anything with "workstation" in the title to be light.

Yes, it has a DVD drive that can read and write both CDs and DVDs, but not Blu-ray.

dreconus

webdev511 wrote:I'm a road warrior technology consultant. I have 32GB in mine and run a complete virtual server farm for development and testing solutions. Yes I run out of RAM.

Well, there are exceptions. I merely meant in the use of a Non-Tech. Aspect. If you are constantly traveling, Have you thought about a Server Box properly built to stay in the car? If not a Remote solution?

kmartind

Looks like it's $1,229.99 new at Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834158145

$1068.95 new at Office Depot:
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/324220/HP-EliteBook-8560w-XU082UT-156-LED/

Or $1,199.99 new at PC Mall:
http://www.pcmall.com/p/HP-Notebook-Computers/product~dpno~8784405~pdp.gibajeg#activeTab=pdpTechSpecs

While this Woot! is a refurb, it has a 1-year warranty, which is a lot nicer than 90-days on many of the refurbs.

I also notice that the specs for this particular model number (XU082UT) on some other sites say it comes with a backlit keyboard. I don't see that explicitly stated in the Woot! specs but that's a nice feature to have.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
webdev511 wrote:I'm a road warrior technology consultant. I have 32GB in mine and run a complete virtual server farm for development and testing solutions. Yes I run out of RAM.

You are in a VERY VERY small minority.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

That three button trackpad design looks funky, has anyone used it? Does the middle button get in the way?

kmartind

theguruguys wrote:That three button trackpad design looks funky, has anyone used it? Does the middle button get in the way?

I've used three-button trackpads before. It just takes a small adjustment of your hand position to avoid hitting the wrong one, and you get used to it pretty fast. A lot of CAD designers, etc, demand three buttons (and some also prefer the pointer stick to a trackpad) so I guess they put in both in order to try to please everyone.

dpwellman

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dpwellman

EliteBooks are very nice. Get a lot of features that one doesn't normally get on the home/multimedia versions. . . up to and including the ability to dock into a port replicator or port expander, and when it's not docked, not being saddled with a crappy 1366 x 768 screen res.

They compete very well with the T5 and W5 series from Lenovo. In this case, however, it drinks Lenovo's milkshake.

I've been impressed how easy it is to muck around the innards if it comes to that-- carrying on the tradition of the Compaq Armadas of old (Why Compaq dropped in favor of the Presario / Evo, I'll never know. Those were craptastic).

Yeah. I like EliteBooks a lot. And I whole heatedly recommend this one.

What's the point of a signature? Everyone can see who wrote this, over there, to the left.

dreman34

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dreman34

I see it has a display/port but I don't see anything about HDMI. Do I need to buy an adapter to make the display show on my TV?

talon4x4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages talon4x4

I work as a field tech for HP and I can tell you that these laptops are definitely built like a tank. HP has finally started making cases out of metal and not plastic. Sure, it weights a lot but it can take the banging around. I've had the 8470p (similar chassis design as the one on Woot) for almost a year and I take it on the road with me every single day. Its in and out of my bag several times a day. And I haven't had a single problem with it. The other nice thing about this model is the fact that it is not using an integrated video card. So, it could be swapped out quite easily for upgrading down the road.

talon4x4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages talon4x4
dreman34 wrote:I see it has a display/port but I don't see anything about HDMI. Do I need to buy an adapter to make the display show on my TV?

You will need this --> http://www.antonline.com/p_BP937AA-GA_846222.htm?sID=GA

rrpwiii

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rrpwiii

So, I am looking to replace my tired old MacBook but don't want to spend the 1k to do so with a newer MacBook.
I was a boss with Win98se back in the day but well...its been a while.
I have been watching Woot! among other places for a worthy laptop to show up and so far this one seems to have the most positive discussion surrounding it. Specs sound decent, build quality seems decent and 1 year warranty sounds decent (no prior experience with HP but it sounds good) and the price seems somewhat reasonable.

Is there some glaringly obvious reason that I should not buy this machine?

rrpwiii

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rrpwiii
rrpwiii wrote:So, I am looking to replace my tired old MacBook but don't want to spend the 1k to do so with a newer MacBook.
I have been watching Woot! among other places for a worthy laptop to show up and so far this one seems to have the most positive discussion surrounding it. Specs sound decent, build quality seems decent and 1 year warranty sounds decent (no prior experience with HP but it sounds good) and the price seems somewhat reasonable.

Is there some reason that the forum machine will not let me wright "don't" in its not contracted form (as 2 words)? when I try it replaces it with "just don't know what went wrong."

kmartind

rrpwiii wrote:So, I am looking to replace my tired old MacBook but don't want to spend the 1k to do so with a newer MacBook.

If you're used to MacOS then the main reason would probably be "because it's Windows." That having been said, Windows 7 is probably the best version to switch back to at this point. It's significantly better than XP, which itself was a huge improvement over Windows 98SE. Windows 8, on the other hand, is still a little quirky, and lot of people end up just buying a cheap add-on like Start8 to bring back the familiar Windows 7 style Start menu.

This laptops is also fairly bulky so isn't great for traveling light, but you can tell even from looking at the pictures that it comes across as a very "serious" laptop; in a "my laptop can beat up your laptop" sort of way. It just looks like quality and power, which was probably the intent. This model also seems to have a backlit keyboard (mentioned on other sites selling the product, but not confirmed by Woot! thus far).

The 1600x900 screen isn't ideal, but at least it's much better than the cheap 1366x768 screens on low-end models, and should be fine for most purposes.

The second gen i5 CPU is also plenty fast for most purposes (it can turbo boost to 3.1GHz), and should perform better than what you'd find in an Ultrabook (those use low-voltage CPUs that consume less power, but are also slower), and the discreet graphics card should be much faster than any integrated-graphics model.

Support on EliteBook models is likely to be significantly better than the consumer-class Pavilion line because they are targeted at the kind of professional business customers who don't put up with any nonsense.

kmartind

rrpwiii wrote:Is there some reason that the forum machine will not let me wright "don't" in its not contracted form (as 2 words)? when I try it replaces it with "just don't know what went wrong."

It's because often people used to say "do_not_want" when complaining about the current Woot! offering. Unfortunately there are other usages of that phrase that are actually legitimate, but the Woot! filter doesn't detect that. It just does a simple substitution.

ibelanger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ibelanger
kmartind wrote:Support on EliteBook models is likely to be significantly better than the consumer-class Pavilion line because they are targeted at the kind of professional business customers who don't put up with any nonsense.

I sell these machines to companies for a living, and I can confirm that all Elitebooks all have a seperate "elite" support phone number to call. You instantly get connected to someone inside the US, and I've often resolved support issues in as little as 5 minutes with this number. I'd estimate that the same support call on the consumer support line would have taken around 30 minutes.

beebee5020

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beebee5020

Does it come with any included software, such as Windows Explorer, or Microsoft office?

mbrickell

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mbrickell

From what I can gather, there were six basic configurations of this model, 4 with i7 and 2 with i5 guts. This is the higher of the two i5 options, and below the 4 i7s. Looks like the backlit keyboard was an option, not a standard feature. Not disparaging this config, just mentioning this since some people have wondered if this variant has a backlit keyboard...doesn't look like it does to me. Someone had posted about memory slots...looks to me like this one has 2 slots. Google is your friend.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13995_na/13995_na.pdf

Tempted on this myself. Seems like about half what retail was on this when new, and has decent spec. Typically I find that woot laptops have some major dealbreaker that rules them out for me, but I don't see that on this unit. Aside from all my techie younger friends making fun of people who use HPs (not sure why, not hip enough apparently), looks like a decent deal.

kmartind

mbrickell wrote:Not disparaging this config, just mentioning this since some people have wondered if this variant has a backlit keyboard...doesn't look like it does to me.

As mentioned previously, the specs for this exact variation of this model on a few other sites say it includes the backlit keyboard option. It would be nice if Woot! could confirm one way or the other, but unless the other sites are false advertising, there's a good chance it has it.

Edit: Here's the list of other sites that claim EliteBook 8560w model XU082UT includes the backlit keyboard:
pcmall.com
costcentral.com
superwarehouse.com
cdw.com
softmart.com
Some eBay listings
insight.com

Still not an absolute guarantee (it's possible that someone, like an HP distributor, made a mistake and all the others copied it), but it seems more likely to actually be correct.

mbrickell

kmartind wrote:As mentioned previously, the specs for this exact variation of this model on a couple of other sites say it includes the backlit keyboard option. It would be nice if Woot! could confirm one way or the other, but unless the other sites are false advertising, there's a good chance it has it.

I guess I should have stated it differently. Looks to me like the backlit keyboard is a 50/50, and you are absolutely correct, it would be nice if Woot could give us a yes or no on this issue. It would certainly add some weight to the "buy" side of the scale for me if it did. Lots of different configs to these machines and it's kind of hard to tell for sure but hopefully you're right.

mbrickell

Woot! Does this have the backlit keyboard or not? Please figure it out and let us know. Thank you!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 175 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

mbrickell wrote:Woot! Does this have the backlit keyboard or not? Please figure it out and let us know. Thank you!

We've already written to staff members this morning trying to verify if the keyboard is backlit or not.
Our sales staff were not provided with further information regarding this feature, and they cannot list/specify if this function is featured on today's sale or not. There is a possibility that this feature IS an option on today's sale, we just can't verify with total certainty that it does.

Our apologies.

Sincerely,
Forum Moderator

kmartind

beebee5020 wrote:Does it come with any included software, such as Windows Explorer, or Microsoft office?

Windows Explorer is part of the operating system and Internet Explorer is always included.

For MS Office, the HP specs from the link posted above say:
"Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word and Excel® only, with advertising. No PowerPoint® or Outlook®. Buy Office 2010 to use the full-featured software."
(it's hard to tell if that's for all models, or just certain models though, but it's probably safe to assume it does not come with the full version of MS Office).

It also looks like it should include DVD playing and burning software and webcam software. The other stuff looks like just the typical built in utilities and drivers, plus a 60-day trial of Norton, etc.

mbrickell

ROGETRAY wrote:We've already written to staff members this morning trying to verify if the keyboard is backlit or not.
Our sales staff were not provided with further information regarding this feature, and they cannot list/specify if this function is featured on today's sale or not.
Our apologies.

Sincerely,
Forum Moderator

Thanks for your efforts, and the response.