shawnkelly7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shawnkelly7

My favorite part of this:

"Use this: to play Crysis 3 at maximum settings."

I'm still dying of laughter, this rig would be lucky to run Crysis (The first one) on max.

stringsoftears

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stringsoftears

CPU: Has a nice overclockable CPU. Many people say the Sandy Bridge is inferior to Ivy Bridge but only by a very slim margin. No real noticeable difference when gaming with a decent card.
GPU: Pretty crappy for a "gaming rig" hitting the $1K mark. And what's even worse is the
PSU: 525W? really? If you need to upgrade your graphics card, you'll definitely need to upgrade the GPU because this thing is already reaching near capacity with this rig.

Overall: I wouldn't purchase this since it's for the Alienware brand name and it's Dell. Dell's been shady about the quality of components placed in their microcomputers.

If you can, build your own or spend your $1K on something like Ibuypower or another custom rig building site.

amantiado

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amantiado

Dell has been guilty of using kneecapped hardware (esp. motherboards- I'm looking at you, xps 630). So far, I've not seen any evidence that AW is following suit.

"Overall: I wouldn't purchase this since it's for the Alienware brand name and it's Dell. Dell's been shady about the quality of components placed in their microcomputers."

mschaffer66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mschaffer66

I get that you are paying for the Alienware name, but that seems like a hell of a lot of money for an outdated PC...

chrisjtom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chrisjtom

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1171229
920 bucks, you can regularly pick up Windows 7 at Newegg for $80, and get a comparable watercooler for $50 there as well.
Intel Core i5-3350P Quad-Core, Asus P8Z77-M Z77 Motherboard,G.Skill DDR3 16GB Memory, Samsung 250GB SSD, Cooler Master ATX Mid Tower, Cooler Master 600W PSU, Asus GTX660 2GB VGA, Cooler Master CPU Cooler SuperCombo

Hard to beat that right now I believe. Add a bigger 2TB hard drive if you have to. Find someone local who builds custom gaming PCs. If you happen to be in Austin, that's me, not Dell.

amantiado

Finally! Actual $. Thanks chrisjtom.
To help illustrate the actual cost of a system to the uninitiated, could you estimate what you would charge to build the NE system you quoted, including a copy of win7 and keyboard/mouse? And would you provide any warranty or refer the buyer to the component makers?

I'm cranky today so the 'I could build that cheaper' crowd are annoying. Like my nephew who declared he knew how to apply thermal paste. *Once*.

chrisjtom wrote:http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1171229
920 bucks, you can regularly pick up Windows 7 at Newegg for $80, and get a comparable watercooler for $50 there as well.
Intel Core i5-3350P Quad-Core, Asus P8Z77-M Z77 Motherboard,G.Skill DDR3 16GB Memory, Samsung 250GB SSD, Cooler Master ATX Mid Tower, Cooler Master 600W PSU, Asus GTX660 2GB VGA, Cooler Master CPU Cooler SuperCombo

Hard to beat that right now I believe. Add a bigger 2TB hard drive if you have to. Find someone local who builds custom gaming PCs. If you happen to be in Austin, that's me, not Dell.

CaptainTr1pps

quality posts: 15 Private Messages CaptainTr1pps
kaisterbahn wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble, it isn't a decent rig. It would be an alright rig for around $600 with limited intent to actually game, but that's about it. The innards are already outdated and underpowered, all shoveled into a gaudy case marketed to Best Buy patrons, or rather, low information consumers.

If you part it out, each bit of hardware is already either out of date or meant for low-end machines and users. That applies to all of the crucial components I mentioned in my first post, and likely the mobo though it doesn't list the specs. IIRC AW uses Asus, but while Asus is a good brand, it's still likely one of their budget boards. The closed loop watercooler is junk since it's pretty much watercooling in name only. Those coolers are no better than decent aftermarket aircoolers (my Noctua D14 keeps comparable temps to a Corsair H100.) Again, all of these parts are marketed to people who don't know what they're buying. They see a fancy case and like iSheep, croon at the label.

Bottom line, if you want to get this to max out Oblivion because Skyrim is too trendy, go right ahead. For any other purpose this is a complete waste of a Grover.

So yeah, if you think this is actually a decent buy, or even better than a 'famous maker', then I happen to have a few cheesy plastic bridges to sell you.

Dunno why people keep bagging on the processor, but the i7 chip in this is neither out of date nor meant for low powered machines. It's a performance chip specifically intended for overclocking. That and the case are undoubtedly the most impressive and expensive bits of this rig. The chip alone is over 300 dollars. The rest could use some work, but the only part that's immediately underwhelming is the video card - that's kind pathetic for a gaming branded system. Should at least be a GTX 560, which would play pretty much anything out today at 1900X1080, especially with that processor. 160 bucks pretty much anywhere.

For someone not keen on setting up a water cooled system, but more than comfortable with plugging in a new graphics card, this ain't so bad.

monkeyfox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkeyfox
amantiado wrote:I'm cranky today so the 'I could build that cheaper' crowd are annoying. Like my nephew who declared he knew how to apply thermal paste. *Once*.

Took a whopping 10 minutes to price out for your amusement:
Core i5-3570K - $219.99
2x Crucial Ballistix 4GB ddr3 1600 - $45.98
GIGABYTE HD 7870 GHz edition (oc'd with aftermarket cooler) - $239.99
Crucial M4 128GB SSD - $109.99
ASRock Z75 Pro3 (all solid caps, lots of success with oc'ing up to 1.3v) - $84.99
FSP RAIDER 550W (bronze rated) PSU- $65.99
LITE-ON Bluray drive - $29.99
CM Hyper 212+ - $29.99
Antec 300 - $59.99
Windows 7/8 - $99.99
Total - $986.89

so there you go. we've upgraded to an SSD, an overclockable faster ivy based core i5, a 7870 that comes factory oc'd with an upgraded heatsink and warranty, a bluray drive, and 8gb of RAM for less money.

wanna talk warranty? sure:
psu - 5y parts/labor
gpu - 3y parts/labor
mobo - 3y parts/labor
ssd - 3y parts/labor
ram - lifetime parts/labor

also has $28 in MIR but who cares. if you wanted you could spend that extra cash on an h50 but i'd rather have the 212+.

bracing for amd fanboy defence force to tell me i should've put a bulldozer in it.

jekrump

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jekrump
rahbii wrote:typing on this now. stellar rig. needed a new video card to run FarCry3 tho.

Then it isn't a stellar rig. not for that price, you could build your own, which is as easy as going to pcpartpicker.com and finding better parts for the same price.

dah99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dah99

I really think you are really being generous with the motherboard. Only one 16X slot. Wouldn't touch this for a $1,000. Especially if I an going to need to replace the weak graphcis card. At least if it had two 16X slots I could repurpose the included card to help with Physx processing.

xlaxplaya wrote:Eh, this deal is a little underwhelming. That's a nice processor, yes, but that graphics card is embarrassingly underpowered for a computer that claims to be a gaming rig. According to the GeForce website, it has 144 cores and an 870 MHz clock. Not sure what it retails for, but I wouldn't pay more than a hundred bucks for that graphics card.

Let's break this down:
[list]
  • $300 processor
  • $100 graphics card
  • $200 motherboard (not sure, but I'm being generous here)
  • 100 hard drive
  • $50 worth of RAM

So far we're at $750. If we throw a hundred for an OS and another hundred for a decent case on top of that, it comes out to about $950. Sure, it's not a BAD deal, but... Maybe this just goes to show how overpriced Alienware rigs are. Even at deep discount, they're still not a very good deal.

Go ahead and buy this if you really want to, but don't expect this graphics card to hold up against many new games. Count on dropping about $200 on a decent graphics card if you really want to make this a gaming rig.

• dah99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dah99
    shawnkelly7 wrote:My favorite part of this:

"Use this: to play Crysis 3 at maximum settings."

I'm still dying of laughter, this rig would be lucky to run Crysis (The first one) on max.

I think this is a bit of overstatement. While I don't think I would pay $1K for this rig it surely will play most modern games well. I still have a rig I built with a gigabyte motherboard and a e8400 over clocked to 4 ghz. Paired with a 560ti and 4gb of fast memory it gets great performance at 1080p, The e8400 is a core 2 duo from 2008! I think a i7 is plenty fast for todays games if paired with the right graphics card.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
    stringsoftears wrote:
    PSU: 525W? really? If you need to upgrade your graphics card, you'll definitely need to upgrade the GPU because this thing is already reaching near capacity with this rig.

Depends on what the specs are on the 525W especially on the 12 Volt rail. If they upgrade to something like the GTX560ti they would likely be ok with this PSU.

theguruguys

monkeyfox wrote:Took a whopping 10 minutes to price out for your amusement:
    Core i5-3570K - $219.99
    ASRock Z75 Pro3 (all solid caps, lots of success with oc'ing up to 1.3v) - $84.99
    CM Hyper 212+ - $29.99
    Antec 300 - $59.99
    Windows 7/8 - $99.99
    Total - $986.89

so there you go. we've upgraded to an SSD, an overclockable faster ivy based core i5, a 7870 that comes factory oc'd with an upgraded heatsink and warranty, a bluray drive, and 8gb of RAM for less money.

psu - 5y parts/labor
    gpu - 3y parts/labor
    mobo - 3y parts/labor
    ssd - 3y parts/labor

also has $28 in MIR but who cares. if you wanted you could spend that extra cash on an h50 but i'd rather have the 212+.

bracing for amd fanboy defence force to tell me i should've put a bulldozer in it.

As you point out I don't think anyone can debate that its not better to build your own if you know how and want to.

The only debatable points are: warranty, (you state parts/labor but I've never seen parts come with labor of taking the machine apart to send the part back) and the style/design.

Also, the I5-3570k is $169.99 at Microcenter and you can bundle it with a ASROck Extreme 4 or similar, I just built a setup last night for about $724 with tax very similar to what you specified without the gfx card but with a 240GB SSD all with parts at MicroCenter.

golncor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages golncor
    brainberry wrote:You can build a way better rig for that price.

maybe so, but not everybody wants to take the time to assemble and tweak things. Many do not have the confidence and are too scared no matter how much support they would receive.
    I am not speaking for myself but I do know people who would not ever open the case on a computer for fear that it would never run again.

This is not a bad rig and leaves some room for additions.

my one question is, Why not make all the usb ports 3.0 as they are usable by usb2 devices and much faster..

theguruguys

cornellbigred wrote:525W psu? err is that enough for extra graphics card, ssd etc

cool to see this on woot, but i wouldn't buy (for a billion reasons). it's kind of funny that a thousand dollar system comes with only 6gb of ram. good thing ram is easiest to upgrade

SSD's use less power than a normal drive, sometimes as much as 1/4th as much, that would not be a problem at all. A graphics card like the GTX560ti should work fine with the included PSU.

amantiado

Wonderful system, I'm sure.

Building a pc is a great project: Do it to learn. Do it to teach. Do it for enjoyment.

Do it for the experience of being your own tech support. Mostly because you'll need it when dealing with the different component manufactures if one fails.

Then decide if you saved enough money to justify your time and effort.

If that math works for you, then go for it.

I did it once. I'm glad I did.

I might even consider it again, but not to save money.

Core i5-3570K - $219.99
    CM Hyper 212+ - $29.99
    Antec 300 - $59.99
    Windows 7/8 - $99.99
    Total - $986.89

psu - 5y parts/labor
    gpu - 3y parts/labor
    mobo - 3y parts/labor
    ssd - 3y parts/labor

theguruguys

golncor wrote:
    my one question is, Why not make all the usb ports 3.0 as they are usable by usb2 devices and much faster..

Cost of production basically but it is slowly getting there. The first USB3.0 mainboard I bought had two USB 3.0 ports. The last one I got has 6 USB 3.0 ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports.

clearskiestomt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages clearskiestomt

I've had an R3 with this processor, 8 gig of ram and crossfire'd 6870's for the last couple of years and have been extremely satisfied with it. I've built my own for years, but this is - hands down - the best PC I've ever owned. Construction is first rate and the Alienware warrenty is superb (I had to use it once for a bad bearing on a video card fan).

That said, I paid ~$1200 for mine as a refurb back when (they were going for ~2k new IIRC), so this seems to be a tad overpriced.

I don't know if this version would support NVidia's SLI, but that might be a pretty inexpensive way to get a significant performance boost without spending too much extra.

rdlbrc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rdlbrc

You can build for much less.

ap210

quality posts: 47 Private Messages ap210

I have the Alienware Aurora R3 Core i7 with a 580GTX.

I've also built my own rig (dual 8800GTX).

It all boils down to 1. Would you rather build it and save a couple hundred or 2. Not build it and pay for the convenience of a pre-built.

I've done both and am happy with both, I got my Aurora (which has a superior video card) for a little over a grand and am happy with my purchase. The Handy Manny Build It crowd is kind of annoying and you can expect them to troll threads anytime Alienware or Dell is mentioned. Just laugh them off.

1. 11/6Rmba
    2. 11/13Scba
    3. 11/16LtchWlssSystm
    4. 11/16Gmbrdg
    5. 11/16SnDskPlyr
    6. 11/16UFO
    7. 11/16LtchWlssHdphns"lbl fll ff"
    8. 11/17LtchXbxhdst
    9. 11/173xLkFrg
    10. 11/25iPdShfflClck
    11. 12/62xBpMntrs
    12. 12/133xNxs25XM

astevenscr

quality posts: 4 Private Messages astevenscr

Sorry, this "feature" struck me as one of the least helpful boasts ever:

"Alienware’s high-performance CPU liquid cooling delivers up to three metric tons of liquid per minute for every square meter of CPU"

Sounds amazing, since a metric ton is just over 2200 pounds.

Not so fast - that's per a square meter of CPU. Given that the die for the 2600k processor is really only 216 mm^2, or 0.000216 square meters, that means they're really boasting that the system delivers "up to" (I've always loved that kind of B.S.) just under half a pound of liquid coolant per minute.

Why can't they say that? I might be just as impressed. Instead, I think they're trying to hide something about how underpowered their system is. Oh, wait, they are: "up to" just under half a pound of coolant is really only about "up to" about a cup. Per minute. Probably sufficient, but not really very "cool."

kaisterbahn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaisterbahn
    richaemry wrote:Agreed on the weakness of this machine, but I disagree with the argument about the price. This is a quality machine for the [rice if you can get past the fact that it looks out of place once you leave the Freshman dormitory.

DIY machines for $700 would outrun this, but you have to factor in the stellar Alienware warranty and the cost of a copy of Windows into looking at a DIY job versus a top tier name brand.

2600 --$200
    545GT -$75
    MOBO --$50
    HDD ---$75
    KB/M --$50
    Case --$75
    PSU ---$75
    Win ---$100
    RAM ---$100
    Misc --$30

And that's not even accounting for the warranty and support that's included for 1 or two years.

IMHO the first thing ANYONE who buys this should do is call Dell and have the warranty extended for $150 to a two year 48 hour in-home repair with North American support service. It's well worth the money since I doubt many people want to tinker with a prebuilt desktop.

RAM? $100? Pardon me while I scoff at you.

And extend the warranty? Really? How do you not understand that this thing is already out of date? It has been broken down numerous times now. And you want to make this POS last longer? This is no different than Christian Scientists (lol) not wanting to take medicine to cure common ailments.

kaisterbahn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaisterbahn
    CaptainTr1pps wrote:Dunno why people keep bagging on the processor, but the i7 chip in this is neither out of date nor meant for low powered machines. It's a performance chip specifically intended for overclocking. That and the case are undoubtedly the most impressive and expensive bits of this rig. The chip alone is over 300 dollars. The rest could use some work, but the only part that's immediately underwhelming is the video card - that's kind pathetic for a gaming branded system. Should at least be a GTX 560, which would play pretty much anything out today at 1900X1080, especially with that processor. 160 bucks pretty much anywhere.

For someone not keen on setting up a water cooled system, but more than comfortable with plugging in a new graphics card, this ain't so bad.

I'll admit it was a bit of an overstatement that the processor is out of date, though if you're building a new system and have a choice there aren't many excuses not to go with the 3770k. It's slightly more powerful and draws less power. I just checked NewEgg and have no idea why it's still over $300, for awhile it was well under the 3770k as it should be. The thing is though, this is a gaming rig. While yes, the cpu is more than sufficient to play the newest and best, gaming isn't very cpu intensive (until Rome TW 2 at least) and the first and foremost important aspect is the gpu which is incredibly lacking. I don't see why someone would want to buy a brand new gaming rig only to turn around and drop another few hundred on a decent gpu (even the 560i is now two years old, a relic in gpu years. Might as well pony up and go with a 660i if you're going the cheaper route.)

scythe123100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scythe123100

So, I don't know why I feel it's important to say this, but this will get nowhere close to running Crysis 3 on max at playable frame rates. It'll need a serious videocard upgrade for that. Otherwise it's a good rig, but an SSD for caching never hurt anyone. Expect to spend an extra $300-400 for any serious gaming.
    -Edit
    I seriously haven't slept enough, this has been pointed about about 50-60 times in the comments already. REDUNDANCY MASTER!

mangamonster

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mangamonster
    Core i5-3570K - $219.99
    CM Hyper 212+ - $29.99
    Antec 300 - $59.99
    Windows 7/8 - $99.99
    Total - $986.89

psu - 5y parts/labor
    gpu - 3y parts/labor
    mobo - 3y parts/labor
    ssd - 3y parts/labor

Links pls.

just kidding

Gamrz Podcast Show

spoklan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spoklan
    dewscool wrote:you are paying for the "Alienware" label on this, when in reality it is just a slightly higher end Dell machine (Dell bought this company several years ago).

You would do better to build your own...

For $1000 you can build better with current hardware. CPU and GPU are previous generation.

The advantage of a rig like this is you DON'T have to build it. You open the box, plug stuff in, turn it on and away you go.

So - if you build your own, do so. If you don't, not a bad deal and you even get to pay the 15% "Alienware" premium! :D

Generally more random than you ever though possible.

AvantGourd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AvantGourd

$999 for something with a GT 545? Really?

mystixa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mystixa

You can alwaysbuild your own cheaper when using standard compomants. it takes a minute to design and test these things, then to market and sell them. Your paying for someone else to test and build the thing for you. Measure that convenience against the cost difference see if it's worth it.

fionn2003

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fionn2003
    hornycorny wrote:This is just like the iphone 4 and 5, you getting a good system for the price, but is still outdated.

Ignorance is all I see in this post.

bogus

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus

Semi decent deal for an Alienware, but Alienware is silly overpriced and you pay for the brand name so this thing is their version of eMachines.

The specs aren't bad aside from the lolfail video card, but you could roll your own for around 500 bucks. 600 if you want a fancypants case.

bogus

mystixa wrote:You can alwaysbuild your own cheaper when using standard compomants. it takes a minute to design and test these things, then to market and sell them. Your paying for someone else to test and build the thing for you. Measure that convenience against the cost difference see if it's worth it.

This isn't as true as it used to be, PC OEMs have gotten a lot more competitive in recent years. A quick trip to the egg yields several HP/Dell machines with similar specs sans video card for about $600 bucks, throw in another $150 for something like a GTX 650 Ti (which isn't even a 'gaming GPU' but still utterly destroys a GT 545). And that's not including offbrand OEMs who've recently started offering gaming hardware.

Shinespark

quality posts: 31 Private Messages Shinespark
    aaronf wrote:Tell the complete truth --- you needed a new videocard to play far cry 3at max settings... right?

Perhaps you could at 640x480 with this.

cmacclel

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cmacclel
    Shinespark wrote:Perhaps you could at 640x480 with this.

Woot has become trash talk central.....if you don't like it then don't buy it! For you people out there saying 6gb ram is not enough.....you don't have a clue as it's overkill for 99.999% of PC users

Shinespark

cmacclel wrote:Woot has become trash talk central.....if you don't like it then don't buy it! For you people out there saying 6gb ram is not enough.....you don't have a clue as it's overkill for 99.999% of PC users

That's not trash talk, that's a fact. A 545 would struggle on Crysis at high for 1920x1080 (<30fps), without even bothering with effects or 16xAA. It's simply a joke to even suggest this is suitable for that on max settings.

Yes, 6GB of RAM is overkill for a majority of users but suggesting there are under 70,000 people in the entire world capable of using it is even more absurd. It's also silly to use 6GB in the first place unless you have a 1366 or AM3+ board supporting triple channel memory. It's a gimmick done by OEMs (tossing in a throwaway DIMM) to appeal to the "more is better" feeling.

Wagnbat

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Wagnbat

Skimmed the posts, didn't see this posted yet so figured I would share. Dell has coupon offers on their refurb outlet gear all the time. If this Woot is not for you, here's other Alienware refurb options available:

http://content.dell.com/us/en/dfh/d/campaigns/dell_outlet_clearance_dfh.aspx?dgc=IR&cid=63473&lid=2025246

Alienware Desktops
    Take 35% off select Dell Outlet Alienware desktops!

Models include:
    Alienware Area-51
    Alienware Area-51 ALX
    Alienware Aurora
    Alienware Aurora R2
    Alienware Aurora R3

Limited time only, while supplies last!

Coupon code:

Follow the link above to access coupon.

cmacclel

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cmacclel
    Shinespark wrote:That's not trash talk, that's a fact. A 545 would struggle on Crysis at high for 1920x1080 (<30fps), without even bothering with effects or 16xAA. It's simply a joke to even suggest this is suitable for that on max settings.

Yes, 6GB of RAM is overkill for a majority of users but suggesting there are under 70,000 people in the entire world capable of using it is even more absurd. It's also silly to use 6GB in the first place unless you have a 1366 or AM3+ board supporting triple channel memory. It's a gimmick done by OEMs (tossing in a throwaway DIMM) to appeal to the "more is better" feeling.

There is nothing absurd about it. 6gb of ram is overkill for every person I know that owns a computer except for *One Person*. Yes as it has been dicussed over and over again the video card is the weak link of this system and if you plan on doing any gaming it would need to be upgraded. Why it even made it into an Alienware is a mystery.....

Shinespark

cmacclel wrote:There is nothing absurd about it. 6gb of ram is overkill for every person I know that owns a computer except for *One Person*. Yes as it has been dicussed over and over again the video card is the weak link of this system and if you plan on doing any gaming it would need to be upgraded. Why it even made it into an Alienware is a mystery.....

You claimed that "99.999% of users" do not need it. Do you know 100,000 people?

billlh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billlh
    alextse wrote:Agree with the comments above that this is overpriced for the hardware. What I don't get is that this is an Alienware which is for geeks and gamers but you will have ZERO credibility with this ancient set up. You'd definitely need to up the graphics card, up the ram, and probably add an SSD drive. So all you're really buying is an out of date processor, a nice enough case, and a pre-assembled water pump. Meh.

I agreed with everything up to the processor. Personally I'd rather have a Sandy Bridge chip it will over clock way better then the Ivy Bridge chips. That said it would be a better buy with a better binned chip (2700K).

mrmessma

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrmessma

Yep, this video card is not what I'd go for for a "gaming pc" at least not for over $700!

bogus

Something I would add for people comparing this to a DIY rig, if you've got a Microcenter in town you can get an i5 3570K for $170 plus tax in store. That's the Ivy Bridge successor to the 2500K which is more than enough CPU for just about anything. Ivy Bridge doesn't overclock as well as Sandy Bridge, but again, you really don't need to unless you're just into that sort of thing.

They have the 2700K for $220 but despite all the hype hyperthreading doesn't bring anything useful to the table.