dmmutti

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dmmutti
genesisbreed wrote:Ya I am with this guy

Just to be fair, the water cooling can get $$ when you build your own so try tacking on an extra $100 for that. Video card I would say is more like $50. (This was a $100 card from 2 years ago)

So I am thinking cost wise probably right on target for if you built yourself.

Oh and BTW that video card... you can "play" crisis 3 on maxed out settings, BUT THAT IS DIFFERENT FROM BEING "PLAYABLE" on maxed out settings.

If you buy this system, plan to drop an extra $150 - $250 on a decent video card. (Mandatory if you want to play anything from this past year on decent settings)

This is a closed loop water cooler, they are not that expensive, you can get one of these from Antec (Kuhler 620) for about $60 or Corsair (H50) for about $70; and both come up for $50 from time to time on sale.

joshualan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshualan

Building your own for the same amount of money buying this can yield a much better battlestation.

Kiashien

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Kiashien

Summary: It needs some upgrades, but isn't a bad price. Read all for details.

I am a high-end pc gamer with lots of upgrade experience.

I would estimate that, given the labor involved in putting together these parts, plus the parts, and assuming you're going to replace the video card... that this is a reasonable price.

This is not a fantastic deal, but it DOES include a 1-year warranty from Dell (Alienware division (tm)) which is historically great about letting you upgrade hardware- Alienwares by definition expect you to upgrade hardware, and their tech support in the past has reflected that.

Basically, this is a sane, reasonable price backed by good tech support- I won't do it because I can't fathom the price increases for using intel over amd for similar performance, but I can't say that it's not a good price.

Essentially, slap a $200 vid card in this puppy, and maybe some ram (depending on your use) and you have a beast of a computer for under 1400.

Again, not an amazing deal, but the price isn't bad at all. Just know the simple facts: You're going to have to upgrade this thing.

j647

quality posts: 1 Private Messages j647
Nevpaurion7 wrote:I think you're being generous towards the Alienware ha.

My personal gaming rig that I built a couple months ago has the following.

Same i7 2600k in this machine
16gb corsair vengeance ram
GTX 560ti video card
Samsung brand 2TB hard drive.
Corsair 500watt PSU
decent antec case with around 5 fans.

This cost me around $650. So.....yeah. Like you said, if you can't build a PC (which is extremely easy these days imo) I guess this will be ok if you're fine with spending the extra money. Neat case though.

Windows 7, $100

kaisterbahn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaisterbahn
azdarkknight wrote:Yes, we get it, you dont like AW...

This is def a step up from the normal HP stuff you get on here but ofc so is the price. Its good if you want an Alienware but your budget is a bit tight (and better than the X51 for upgrading). the deal would be better from woot than from Dell, just becuase there would be $100 of tax added on by Dell for me in AZ (until amazon starts charging in a month that is).

Yes, you can build it cheaper, if you want to, most people forget the windows 8 lic. when comparing prices too ofc.

Bottom line, decent rig, not top of the line, but not shabby either.

Sorry to burst your bubble, it isn't a decent rig. It would be an alright rig for around $600 with limited intent to actually game, but that's about it. The innards are already outdated and underpowered, all shoveled into a gaudy case marketed to Best Buy patrons, or rather, low information consumers.

If you part it out, each bit of hardware is already either out of date or meant for low-end machines and users. That applies to all of the crucial components I mentioned in my first post, and likely the mobo though it doesn't list the specs. IIRC AW uses Asus, but while Asus is a good brand, it's still likely one of their budget boards. The closed loop watercooler is junk since it's pretty much watercooling in name only. Those coolers are no better than decent aftermarket aircoolers (my Noctua D14 keeps comparable temps to a Corsair H100.) Again, all of these parts are marketed to people who don't know what they're buying. They see a fancy case and like iSheep, croon at the label.

Bottom line, if you want to get this to max out Oblivion because Skyrim is too trendy, go right ahead. For any other purpose this is a complete waste of a Grover.

So yeah, if you think this is actually a decent buy, or even better than a 'famous maker', then I happen to have a few cheesy plastic bridges to sell you.

tunkamerica

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tunkamerica
jc007 wrote:Sandy Bridge (Last years Chip) Not Ivy Bridge (newer chip) My Alienware M18X laptop has a better Chip but this is still Alienware and 1/4 the price of Mine! Good buy for the price but know that your not getting latest generation.

sandy hook chip... too soon

michael2255

quality posts: 5 Private Messages michael2255

But you would have to upgrade the video card as soon as you got it.
>:-(

ayobro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ayobro
azdarkknight wrote:Yes, we get it, you dont like AW...

This is def a step up from the normal HP stuff you get on here but ofc so is the price. Its good if you want an Alienware but your budget is a bit tight (and better than the X51 for upgrading). the deal would be better from woot than from Dell, just becuase there would be $100 of tax added on by Dell for me in AZ (until amazon starts charging in a month that is).

Yes, you can build it cheaper, if you want to, most people forget the windows 8 lic. when comparing prices too ofc.

Bottom line, decent rig, not top of the line, but not shabby either.

Dude, this is a horrible rig.

k87

quality posts: 2 Private Messages k87
jc007 wrote:Sandy Bridge (Last years Chip) Not Ivy Bridge (newer chip) My Alienware M18X laptop has a better Chip but this is still Alienware and 1/4 the price of Mine! Good buy for the price but know that your not getting latest generation.

how can they sell sandy fit a thousand bucks on a desktop?

monkeyfox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkeyfox
Kiashien wrote:Summary: It needs some upgrades, but isn't a bad price.

uhh.. the price point is exactly what is wrong with this - why in the world would you want to pay a thousand dollars for an outdated computer that can't even play games?

Kiashien wrote:This is not a fantastic deal, but it DOES include a 1-year warranty from Dell (Alienware division (tm))

If you built it yourself you'd get longer warranties on a lot of parts. Even then, you could customize a desktop from dell with a 3rd gen i7 & 8gb of ram for ~$800 and just spend the left over 200 on 7850

Kiashien wrote:Basically, this is a sane, reasonable price backed by good tech support- I won't do it because I can't fathom the price increases for using intel over amd for similar performance, but I can't say that it's not a good price.

any credibility you still had left went out the window when you implied that AMD offers comparable performance to intel at ANY price point right now. Even at the cheapo end of the scale, a 2nd gen core i3 will outperform an FX-4170 in gaming and most productivity applications while running cooler and consuming less power. If you look at the $200+ price point there is absolutely no competition for today's core i5/i7

And as for the kid saying it has water cooling - yeah, a closed loop h50 like people already pointed out. hardly anything impressive or expensive.

Terrible advice. I have no idea why people are defending this deal.

thefennec

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thefennec

For the power you get, I would not pay more than $500 for this computer. I built a gaming rig about twice as powerful for roughly $650 by catching components on sale and upgrading as I went.

The water cooling on the CPU is very basic and can be out-performed by many aftermarket air coolers (Hyper 212+ rocks) which cost $25-50. It's quieter under load but louder at idle.

Alienware used to be about the 'wow' factor and gamer cred. Now they're the sort of okay budget gaming rig that's all bark and no bite. If you want to buy power, go with an enthusiast company like ibuypower, cyberpower, sager or something. Plus, then you can customize it. If you're gonna overpay and have someone else make it for you, do it right.

I'm not endorsing them, but check out http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_II/ before you pull the trigger on this Alienware crap.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

Overpriced for a woot. For this to be a woot, that price should include a bluray burner, more ram and at least a small ssd for the OS. The people who need this sort of performance rig will realize that and either build on their own or find a better deal. The other people don't need this kind of hardware for what they do, and shouldn't be spending that much jack on a computer anyway.

leonbev

quality posts: 10 Private Messages leonbev

I don't understand why Dell/Alienware would take a PC with such a high end case and CPU and pair it with such an anemic video card.

Bummer... if this thing had a GeForce 680 in it instead, it would have some serious potential.

aaronf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aaronf
rahbii wrote:typing on this now. stellar rig. needed a new video card to run FarCry3 tho.

Tell the complete truth --- you needed a new videocard to play far cry 3at max settings... right?

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
aaronf wrote:Tell the complete truth --- you needed a new videocard to play far cry 3at max settings... right?

Basically this is a far cry from a true gaming rig.

canis39

quality posts: 0 Private Messages canis39
thefennec wrote:For the power you get, I would not pay more than $500 for this computer. I built a gaming rig about twice as powerful for roughly $650 by catching components on sale and upgrading as I went.

The water cooling on the CPU is very basic and can be out-performed by many aftermarket air coolers (Hyper 212+ rocks) which cost $25-50. It's quieter under load but louder at idle.

Alienware used to be about the 'wow' factor and gamer cred. Now they're the sort of okay budget gaming rig that's all bark and no bite. If you want to buy power, go with an enthusiast company like ibuypower, cyberpower, sager or something. Plus, then you can customize it. If you're gonna overpay and have someone else make it for you, do it right.

I'm not endorsing them, but check out http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_II/ before you pull the trigger on this Alienware crap.

I love CyberPower. My last 2 PCs have been from them. I haven't checked but I would bet a lot of money that you can get a much better computer on CyberPower today for the same price as this machine.

amantiado

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amantiado

Please provide parts/price breakdown to support claim.

dewscool wrote:you are paying for the "Alienware" label on this, when in reality it is just a slightly higher end Dell machine (Dell bought this company several years ago).

You would do better to build your own...

amantiado

canis39 wrote:I love CyberPower. My last 2 PCs have been from them. I haven't checked but I would bet a lot of money that you can get a much better computer on CyberPower today for the same price as this machine.

Again, you may be correct. Please post supporting price breakdown to support your position.

robertpepper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robertpepper

Over priced CPU, the Sandy Bridge 2500K or the Ivy Bridge 3570K are better suited and also cheaper. Unless you are doing some heavy threaded programs all the time. 6gb Really?...You are saving about 5-10bucks of the 2x4gb kits. GTX 545 must be a HP special price to them card. An almost mid-range card. I just built my computer for 190 less with a much faster video card and the 2500K which is more then enough. With 16gb gskill

amantiado

Please provide build out price list to support this claim.
No 'abouts' or 'roughly'. What was the warranty on your components? And how much did you spend on the OS?

thefennec wrote:For the power you get, I would not pay more than $500 for this computer. I built a gaming rig about twice as powerful for roughly $650 by catching components on sale and upgrading as I went.

chrisjtom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chrisjtom

I worked at Dell in 99. I have reviewed computer hardware since 98. I own a gaming center. I worked with Alienware for my lan parties before Dell bought them. This is old hardware. Sandy Bridge is old, but at least it is a good CPU, the memory is slow, an odd amount, the video card is entry level and something a Mac user would think is good because Steve Jobs told them. I build gaming PCs for clients all of the time, and I can easily build a watercooled PC with Ivy Bridge and Z77 with USB 3 and Thunderbolt with the same size hard drive, a SSD and a better video card for that price. This is old junk they can't find suckers to buy. I guess if you are one of those people who buys Alienware for the case, then have at it, but this a bad deal until 400 dollars gets knocked off the price since right off the bat you are going to have to replace the video card. And yeah, 4GB is currently plenty of memory to play any game. We just started our upgrade from that amount to 8GB thanks to a good deal on Newegg. And for the love of god don't buy Cyberpower. I'm currently upgrading one for a client. Cheap no name power supply, horrible case, and horrible cable routing so bad that I could not take the back panel off without cutting the power supply cable, and again, he bought it just a year ago, and it was old hardware.

robertpepper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robertpepper
aaronf wrote:Tell the complete truth --- you needed a new videocard to play far cry 3at max settings... right?

This Rig will not play Far Cry 3 at Ultra settings

chrisjtom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chrisjtom

You can play anything out there now with a 4170, and it will be fine. In fact you will be hard pressed putting an Intel PC side by side with an AMD with same system specs, and having anyone notice the difference. I know, I have done it. Also if you want to not have to buy your motherboard with the CPU stuck to it with a BGA package, then you better get off your Intel high horse pretty quick.

amantiado

Great! Please give us a price breakdown.

robertpepper wrote:Over priced CPU, the Sandy Bridge 2500K or the Ivy Bridge 3570K are better suited and also cheaper. Unless you are doing some heavy threaded programs all the time. 6gb Really?...You are saving about 5-10bucks of the 2x4gb kits. GTX 545 must be a HP special price to them card. An almost mid-range card. I just built my computer for 190 less with a much faster video card and the 2500K which is more then enough. With 16gb gskill

amantiado

What he said.
Esp. warranty and support.

Kiashien wrote:Summary: It needs some upgrades, but isn't a bad price. Read all for details.

I am a high-end pc gamer with lots of upgrade experience.

I would estimate that, given the labor involved in putting together these parts, plus the parts, and assuming you're going to replace the video card... that this is a reasonable price.

This is not a fantastic deal, but it DOES include a 1-year warranty from Dell (Alienware division (tm)) which is historically great about letting you upgrade hardware- Alienwares by definition expect you to upgrade hardware, and their tech support in the past has reflected that.

Basically, this is a sane, reasonable price backed by good tech support- I won't do it because I can't fathom the price increases for using intel over amd for similar performance, but I can't say that it's not a good price.

Essentially, slap a $200 vid card in this puppy, and maybe some ram (depending on your use) and you have a beast of a computer for under 1400.

Again, not an amazing deal, but the price isn't bad at all. Just know the simple facts: You're going to have to upgrade this thing.

leonbev

quality posts: 10 Private Messages leonbev
amantiado wrote:Great! Please give us a price breakdown.

Why don't you go to NewEgg and break it down yourself? It should come in around $750, and that includes the OS and water cooling.

eusasc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eusasc
chrisjtom wrote:I And for the love of god don't buy Cyberpower. I'm currently upgrading one for a client. Cheap no name power supply, horrible case, and horrible cable routing so bad that I could not take the back panel off without cutting the power supply cable, and again, he bought it just a year ago, and it was old hardware.

Serious +1. Cyberpower is absolute junk, and they have the worst customer service. Chinese company with a US distribution. Had the misfortune dealing with these clowns 4 or 5 years ago. Tried to rip me off and had to get my CC company involved.

amantiado

If I were in the market for a desktop I would take your good advice. I'm simply asking for evidence from the 'I could build better for less' crowd to support their claims. There are a *few* great pc component companies that live up to their warranties. *Many* will circle jerk you to blame other components for failure.
But please, do build your own system! It's a great life lesson.

hectordc5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hectordc5

$1000 is an overkill for the specs that it has. I've been building gaming PC's for a good 6-7 years and this computer is underpowered for a gaming PC. Some may ask, How so? well, for one, a gaming PC usually comes down to Graphics > RAM > Processor. The graphics card is mediocre at best. 1GB of ram w/ 144 cuda cores will unlikely play games in ultra settings. High settings, yes but the frame rate will most likely be horrible. There are better deals out there for gaming PC's. Alienware overprices their platforms.

limacamp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages limacamp

I love love love woot! but it is kind of typical to read "I can build it for less money and better"... some people here are not capable in the I'll build it department, like me...

"I'm posting in the blog to decry, this thing you couldn't pay me to buy"

fucanglong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fucanglong

My laptop has a better graphics card than this and was cheaper...

rofltehroflman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rofltehroflman

You could build a better rig at cyberpowerpc for less. Paying all for the alien ware name even with the woot discount.

richaemry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richaemry

Sandy will be more long term stable than Ivy. There's no way of telling if you have an Ivy chip with the top glued down or soldered down whereas all Sandy chips are soldered.

richaemry

hectordc5 wrote:$1000 is an overkill for the specs that it has. I've been building gaming PC's for a good 6-7 years and this computer is underpowered for a gaming PC. Some may ask, How so? well, for one, a gaming PC usually comes down to Graphics > RAM > Processor. The graphics card is mediocre at best. 1GB of ram w/ 144 cuda cores will unlikely play games in ultra settings. High settings, yes but the frame rate will most likely be horrible. There are better deals out there for gaming PC's. Alienware overprices their platforms.

Agreed on the weakness of this machine, but I disagree with the argument about the price. This is a quality machine for the [rice if you can get past the fact that it looks out of place once you leave the Freshman dormitory.

DIY machines for $700 would outrun this, but you have to factor in the stellar Alienware warranty and the cost of a copy of Windows into looking at a DIY job versus a top tier name brand.

2600 --$200
545GT -$75
MOBO --$50
HDD ---$75
KB/M --$50
Case --$75
PSU ---$75
Win ---$100
RAM ---$100
Misc --$30

And that's not even accounting for the warranty and support that's included for 1 or two years.

IMHO the first thing ANYONE who buys this should do is call Dell and have the warranty extended for $150 to a two year 48 hour in-home repair with North American support service. It's well worth the money since I doubt many people want to tinker with a prebuilt desktop.

richaemry

rofltehroflman wrote:You could build a better rig at cyberpowerpc for less. Paying all for the alien ware name even with the woot discount.

Or they are paying for the support of a reputable manufacturer. CyberpowerPC is not exactly as reputable as XoticPC or OriginPC...

amantiado

+1

richaemry wrote:Agreed on the weakness of this machine, but I disagree with the argument about the price. This is a quality machine for the [rice if you can get past the fact that it looks out of place once you leave the Freshman dormitory.

DIY machines for $700 would outrun this, but you have to factor in the stellar Alienware warranty and the cost of a copy of Windows into looking at a DIY job versus a top tier name brand.

2600 --$200
545GT -$75
MOBO --$50
HDD ---$75
KB/M --$50
Case --$75
PSU ---$75
Win ---$100
RAM ---$100
Misc --$30

And that's not even accounting for the warranty and support that's included for 1 or two years.

IMHO the first thing ANYONE who buys this should do is call Dell and have the warranty extended for $150 to a two year 48 hour in-home repair with North American support service. It's well worth the money since I doubt many people want to tinker with a prebuilt desktop.

amantiado

Ummm...cpu-z or core temp

richaemry wrote:Sandy will be more long term stable than Ivy. There's no way of telling if you have an Ivy chip with the top glued down or soldered down whereas all Sandy chips are soldered.

tc1uscg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg
theguruguys wrote:You left some out: CD/DVD Drive, custom Keyboard / Mouse, power supply, Alienware 1 year warranty, water based CPU cooling (looks like a re-branded Corsair H40?), card reader...

While it is true you can build a better system yourself for the same price, you are assuming everyone is able to do that. Alienware aims at those who are not capable of building their own gaming PC and they pay for that premium.

Agree that you will need to drop down some money to a better graphics card, at least a GTX 560ti ($179) to put in this.

At that price, they should have tossed in a blueray player/recorder and at last a 120gb ssd drive. I didn't get the water cooler (but I added it later when it was on sale for 59.00) but my powerspec 180 was 50.00 less and has a better video card. Even my motherboard seems better. It is a nice price but like the other guy said, the name gives it a 20% markup. Pass

TC1 USCG Ret

amantiado

for the win:

richaemry wrote:Or they are paying for the support of a reputable manufacturer. CyberpowerPC is not exactly as reputable as XoticPC or OriginPC...

shawnkelly7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shawnkelly7

[quote postid="5302948" user="theguruguys"]You left some out: CD/DVD Drive, custom Keyboard / Mouse, power supply, Alienware 1 year warranty, water based CPU cooling (looks like a re-branded Corsair H40?), card reader...

"water based CPU cooling" lol gimich that really isn't any better than good air cooling and is much high maintenance