Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

NocturnalArcadia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NocturnalArcadia

Nice...

cmeej

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cmeej

PC World gives it a 3.50/5, seems like a solid buy for the price.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/desktop_pcs/alienware/aurora_gaming_pc/413377

[MOD: Review & specs seem to be for the R4.]

jon98gn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages jon98gn

Is that an LED keyboard?

\

rahbii

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rahbii

typing on this now. stellar rig. needed a new video card to run FarCry3 tho.

jc007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jc007

Sandy Bridge (Last years Chip) Not Ivy Bridge (newer chip) My Alienware M18X laptop has a better Chip but this is still Alienware and 1/4 the price of Mine! Good buy for the price but know that your not getting latest generation.

-JC

If I Agreed With you, Then we would BOTH be wrong

dagast2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dagast2

That video card is pretty suspect, you'll be replacing it for serious gaming.

Also, 6gb ram is an odd amount, any kind of ram upgrade likely going to involve replacing that, 8gb is recommended for most modern games.

Other than that AW build quality very nice but dont expect this to be a world beater just because it claims it in the title.

AW X51 can be had for about $100 more, much better video card and sexy but difficult to upgrade form factor.

dewscool

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dewscool

you are paying for the "Alienware" label on this, when in reality it is just a slightly higher end Dell machine (Dell bought this company several years ago).

You would do better to build your own...

GRam1125

quality posts: 1 Private Messages GRam1125
cmeej wrote:PC World gives it a 3.50/5, seems like a solid buy for the price.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/desktop_pcs/alienware/aurora_gaming_pc/413377

[MOD: Review & specs seem to be for the R4.]

That review has the PC with a GeForce GTX 590, which is leaps and bounds better than the card in this one.

It's kinda weak. If you can't build a PC, I guess it isn't a bad buy, but the hardware is all last gen. I wouldn't expect to run newer games in 1920 x 1080 on full everything. I used to run this same processor, and a GTX570 and it ran things pretty well in 1080p, and only the highest end games would slow it down. I'd plan on an immediate video card upgrade if you are looking to play some serious games.

If you are looking to just raid dragons in world of warcraft, this should suffice.

asdfgzxcvb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asdfgzxcvb
jon98gn wrote:Is that an LED keyboard?

No, it's just white print.
It's a nice rig. The case is nuts...very slick. You'll need to upgrade the card if you want to play the latest games.

brainberry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brainberry

You can build a way better rig for that price.

hornycorny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hornycorny

This is just like the iphone 4 and 5, you getting a good system for the price, but is still outdated.

TSOG

quality posts: 3 Private Messages TSOG

@Woot! Call me when you get the R4 or a R3 with a six core CPU and better (way better) video card!

Shinespark

quality posts: 33 Private Messages Shinespark
TSOG wrote:@Woot! Call me when you get the R4 or a R3 with a six core CPU and better (way better) video card!

A 6-core i7 would cost $500 by itself.

ericshmerick

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ericshmerick

Rear entry? May be in.

Dat rear entry...

themcnasty

quality posts: 3 Private Messages themcnasty

This is a good buy if you want a cool case and liquid cooling gear. If I bought this, I would spend some extra money to get more RAM (how did they get 6GB, 2X1 and 2X2?), more HDs for Raid 5 (I've lost data in the past, I will never go without RAID again), and a better video card, which I'm sure would make a different model a better buy for me.

It would be difficult to impossible to match this build at $1k building it yourself (unless you dropped liquid cooling). However, I'd rather spend closer to $2k on a computer that is top of the line and will last for 5 or 6 years than $1k on a computer that basically already needs upgrades.

mdwyerfoo

quality posts: 22 Private Messages mdwyerfoo
dagast2 wrote:Also, 6gb ram is an odd amount, any kind of ram upgrade likely going to involve replacing that, 8gb is recommended for most modern games.

Do some homework on this before you make that leap, though. Some chipsets (Nehalem) use a three channel memory controller that performs better when memory is a multiple of 3.

daveofva

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daveofva

Yup, you can definitely build a better rig for that price. Sure, the case is pretty awesome, but the rest of the machine is meh. I built a better one about 3 months ago for around that price. 16 gb of ram, GTX 570, ivy bridge I5, etc.

If you can't build your own, it might be a decent deal, but really, anyone can build a computer. Just google it.

arnoub

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arnoub

the price is good if this was a year ago. you can build a much better rig for that kind of money.

Shinespark

quality posts: 33 Private Messages Shinespark
mdwyerfoo wrote:Do some homework on this before you make that leap, though. Some chipsets (Nehalem) use a three channel memory controller that performs better when memory is a multiple of 3.

No 1155 board has a triple channel memory controller. Nehalem is ancient by now.

xlaxplaya

quality posts: 4 Private Messages xlaxplaya

Eh, this deal is a little underwhelming. That's a nice processor, yes, but that graphics card is embarrassingly underpowered for a computer that claims to be a gaming rig. According to the GeForce website, it has 144 cores and an 870 MHz clock. Not sure what it retails for, but I wouldn't pay more than a hundred bucks for that graphics card.

Let's break this down:
[list]

• $300 processor
  • $100 graphics card
  • $200 motherboard (not sure, but I'm being generous here)
  • 100 hard drive
  • $50 worth of RAM

So far we're at $750. If we throw a hundred for an OS and another hundred for a decent case on top of that, it comes out to about $950. Sure, it's not a BAD deal, but... Maybe this just goes to show how overpriced Alienware rigs are. Even at deep discount, they're still not a very good deal.

Go ahead and buy this if you really want to, but don't expect this graphics card to hold up against many new games. Count on dropping about $200 on a decent graphics card if you really want to make this a gaming rig.
  • Hello, beautiful.

Nevpaurion7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Nevpaurion7
    xlaxplaya wrote:Eh, this deal is a little underwhelming. That's a nice processor, yes, but that graphics card is embarrassingly underpowered for a computer that claims to be a gaming rig. According to the GeForce website, it has 144 cores and an 870 MHz clock. Not sure what it retails for, but I wouldn't pay more than a hundred bucks for that graphics card.

Let's break this down:
    [list]
  • $300 processor
  • $100 graphics card
  • 100 hard drive
  • $50 worth of RAM

So far we're at $750. If we throw a hundred for an OS and another hundred for a decent case on top of that, it comes out to about $950. Sure, it's not a BAD deal, but... Maybe this just goes to show how overpriced Alienware rigs are. Even at deep discount, they're still not a very good deal.

Go ahead and buy this if you really want to, but don't expect this graphics card to hold up against many new games. Count on dropping about $200 on a decent graphics card if you really want to make this a gaming rig.

• I think you're being generous towards the Alienware ha.

My personal gaming rig that I built a couple months ago has the following.

Same i7 2600k in this machine
    16gb corsair vengeance ram
    GTX 560ti video card
    Samsung brand 2TB hard drive.
    Corsair 500watt PSU
    decent antec case with around 5 fans.

This cost me around $650. So.....yeah. Like you said, if you can't build a PC (which is extremely easy these days imo) I guess this will be ok if you're fine with spending the extra money. Neat case though.

dmmutti

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dmmutti

I can build twice the rig for this price.
    No way this is worth 1 grand.

freeweezyy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages freeweezyy

Alienware's not much more than a prebuilt in a flashy case. You can save a good amount of money, or get better performance, by building your own.

This build uses an older, Sandy Bridge CPU and an entry level video card.

Kanabis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Kanabis

Looks like a nice rig. Best thing it has going for it no hassle of building you own. Unfortunately it last years chip (not a big deal at all-Ivy Bridge is not all that). But no SSD drive + no Bluray + only 6gb of ram makes this a pass. Also Dell stuff is on sale all the time

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
    xlaxplaya wrote:Eh, this deal is a little underwhelming. That's a nice processor, yes, but that graphics card is embarrassingly underpowered for a computer that claims to be a gaming rig. According to the GeForce website, it has 144 cores and an 870 MHz clock. Not sure what it retails for, but I wouldn't pay more than a hundred bucks for that graphics card.

Let's break this down:
    [list]
  • $300 processor
  • $100 graphics card
  • 100 hard drive
  • $50 worth of RAM

• You left some out: CD/DVD Drive, custom Keyboard / Mouse, power supply, Alienware 1 year warranty, water based CPU cooling (looks like a re-branded Corsair H40?), card reader...

While it is true you can build a better system yourself for the same price, you are assuming everyone is able to do that. Alienware aims at those who are not capable of building their own gaming PC and they pay for that premium.

Agree that you will need to drop down some money to a better graphics card, at least a GTX 560ti ($179) to put in this.

alextse

quality posts: 24 Private Messages alextse

Agree with the comments above that this is overpriced for the hardware. What I don't get is that this is an Alienware which is for geeks and gamers but you will have ZERO credibility with this ancient set up. You'd definitely need to up the graphics card, up the ram, and probably add an SSD drive. So all you're really buying is an out of date processor, a nice enough case, and a pre-assembled water pump. Meh.

genesisbreed

quality posts: 1 Private Messages genesisbreed

Let's break this down:
    [list]
  • $300 processor
  • $100 graphics card
  • 100 hard drive
  • $50 worth of RAM

• Ya I am with this guy

Just to be fair, the water cooling can get $$ when you build your own so try tacking on an extra $100 for that. Video card I would say is more like $50. (This was a $100 card from 2 years ago)

So I am thinking cost wise probably right on target for if you built yourself.

Oh and BTW that video card... you can "play" crisis 3 on maxed out settings, BUT THAT IS DIFFERENT FROM BEING "PLAYABLE" on maxed out settings.

If you buy this system, plan to drop an extra $150 - $250 on a decent video card. (Mandatory if you want to play anything from this past year on decent settings)

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
    genesisbreed wrote:Ya I am with this guy

Just to be fair, the water cooling can get $$ when you build your own so try tacking on an extra $100 for that. Video card I would say is more like $50. (This was a $100 card from 2 years ago)

The water cooler on this looks like a $70 Corsair H40/H50, not too costly.

QFT

quality posts: 3 Private Messages QFT

Maybe it's the IT nerd in me who tends to buy his own parts and build PCs, but this is NOT worth the money in my opinion. With an older Core i7 and a video card that's not very good for graphics intensive games, and 6GB RAM, I just don't see where the $1000 price tag comes from.

My suggestion: buy a cheaper, Ivy Bridge i5 2400/2500 computer with 12+ GB RAM maximum capacity, a PCI Express slot, and go buy yourself a $200 video card. You'll end up with something cheaper and better for gaming - which, let's face it, is pretty much the only reason someone buys Alienware in the first place. If you want to get fancy, buy a solid stat drive, then it'll REALLY blow this machine out of the water.

telepathboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages telepathboy

Currently typing on a new Alienware X51 that my fiance convinced me to get for Christmas (fantastic woman, she is).

My X51 looks better, costs the same, and with the exception of the i5 2500k instead of the i7, beats the pants off of this build.

Though, it is the same keyboard. And yes, it is just white writing, but it does look pretty nice to be honest.

I'd recommend looking at the X51 before you pull the trigger on this. It's a gem. Ridiculously quiet as well, even without the water cooling.

foxzeta

quality posts: 2 Private Messages foxzeta

This is crap for this price in comparison to that HP H8 that kept popping up, for 660 it was better in almost all regards, having an i7 3770, 12gb pc3-12800 ram, a better sound card, wifi AND bluetooth... the only two things it was lacking in was the video card and PSU, and i guess a fancy case.

cornellbigred

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cornellbigred

525W psu? err is that enough for extra graphics card, ssd etc

cool to see this on woot, but i wouldn't buy (for a billion reasons). it's kind of funny that a thousand dollar system comes with only 6gb of ram. good thing ram is easiest to upgrade

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik

The 525-watt power supply, while not terrible, is another thing that may need to be replaced to do significant upgrading. If you are willing to put any effort into choosing parts and assembling your own, you can do much better. This is a decent, slightly-expired gaming setup for someone looking for a prebuilt in this price range, but even in that case the water cooling (and alienware logo) are pretty unnecessary. Cool case though.

benmason

quality posts: 4 Private Messages benmason

Avoid purchasing this computer at all cost unless you have tons of money with nothing to do with it. Alienware is like Apple, you are not paying for a high end product you are buying the name.

All together the price of this computer should be around 800 or even less depending if you can find a sale.

Prices for parts are as followed from Newegg and Amazon:
    - Intel Core i7-2600K (3.4GHz) $280 newegg
    - 6GB DDR3 due to it not having a name I will say $35
    - GPU GeForce GT 545 = do they even sell these anymore the GT640, which is better is $90, so my guess is this is at least around $50.
    -2TB SATA (7200rpm) $90
    - unamed power supply PSU 525W= $20-$60
    -Motherboard Unknown- Could be cheap or really expensive, but my guess based on other parts towards the cheap side.

Even if you don't know how to build your own computer you could buy parts and take it to your local frys, micro center, computer store and get it built for cheaper price.

kaisterbahn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaisterbahn
    themcnasty wrote:This is a good buy if you want a cool case and liquid cooling gear. If I bought this, I would spend some extra money to get more RAM (how did they get 6GB, 2X1 and 2X2?), more HDs for Raid 5 (I've lost data in the past, I will never go without RAID again), and a better video card, which I'm sure would make a different model a better buy for me.

It would be difficult to impossible to match this build at $1k building it yourself (unless you dropped liquid cooling). However, I'd rather spend closer to $2k on a computer that is top of the line and will last for 5 or 6 years than $1k on a computer that basically already needs upgrades.

Please, no one listen to this guy. This rig is utter shyte, especially at $1k. The card is rubbish unless you don't plan on gaming (why the fudge are you even looking at an Alienware then?) the RAM is junk, and the cpu is only very average. Even the case isn't that appealing (IMO anyway, but you're better to go with something practical rather than tawdry Alienware cases.) You could build a WAY better PC with the same amount, and the fact this this guy doesn't think so tells me he's clueless.

eno45

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eno45
    kaisterbahn wrote:Please, no one listen to this guy. This rig is utter shyte, especially at $1k. The card is rubbish unless you don't plan on gaming (why the fudge are you even looking at an Alienware then?) the RAM is junk, and the cpu is only very average. Even the case isn't that appealing (IMO anyway, but you're better to go with something practical rather than tawdry Alienware cases.) You could build a WAY better PC with the same amount, and the fact this this guy doesn't think so tells me he's clueless.

I agree, this PC is really not a great deal. You can find better more modern PC's for the same price. Building your own , of course you can do better for $1000. Last not really a great idea with computers to spend more up front and try to stretch the life to 5-6years. I would spend $1000 every 3years compared to $2000 and trying to reach 6years. Something will likely break within 6years so just replace more often and spend less on each replacement.

There are some great daily deal bundles out there. A good i5/16gb/256gb SSD with a 650/7850 would be about the same price and much better.

I really can't recommend this PC at this price to any type of consumer.

cmusicfan05

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cmusicfan05

Hahaha $999 for a fancy-looking Dell. Waste your money somewhere else.

Cagny

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Cagny

Get this if you want to play PC games out of the box (on low/medium detail settings). Also get this if you don't want to build your own PC. It also comes with the Alienware name brand... which is cool, I think (not as cool as it was 5 years ago).

My biggest issue is that most gaming PC's we build will, at least, use a SSD to run our OS and this does not. It should at least use a hybrid ssd/hdd drive.

Sad.

azdarkknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages azdarkknight
    kaisterbahn wrote:Please, no one listen to this guy. This rig is utter shyte, especially at $1k. The card is rubbish unless you don't plan on gaming (why the fudge are you even looking at an Alienware then?) the RAM is junk, and the cpu is only very average. Even the case isn't that appealing (IMO anyway, but you're better to go with something practical rather than tawdry Alienware cases.) You could build a WAY better PC with the same amount, and the fact this this guy doesn't think so tells me he's clueless.

Yes, we get it, you dont like AW...

This is def a step up from the normal HP stuff you get on here but ofc so is the price. Its good if you want an Alienware but your budget is a bit tight (and better than the X51 for upgrading). the deal would be better from woot than from Dell, just becuase there would be $100 of tax added on by Dell for me in AZ (until amazon starts charging in a month that is).

Yes, you can build it cheaper, if you want to, most people forget the windows 8 lic. when comparing prices too ofc.

Bottom line, decent rig, not top of the line, but not shabby either.