WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Klipsch Khaos

Psst. You. Yeah, you. You like the audio equipment? Eh? You want some headphones? Maybe good deal on Home Theater system? I hook you up with a Soundbar because I like you.
Klipsch official site

Quality Posts

boatshoes

quality posts: 4 Private Messages boatshoes

Bought the Image ONE headphones in the last woot-off, I was really astounded by the great sound quality! The sound tends to be mostly very crisp highs and booming lows, with not as much midrange, but I prefer that sound. The remote/mic on the cable works great and is lightweight, and overall I find the appearance to be classy and good-looking. Definitely not as obnoxious-looking as beats by dre.

The earcups just barely fit over my ears, so if you have very large ears these might not fit as comfortably over them, but that would be my only gripe with these. They are very comfortable for me.

You won't find a better sound for your money.

Don't call it a comeback, I been here for years

deltax20a

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deltax20a

I keep seeing the Energy Take speakers, the price is pretty good, but are these speakers good for an entry-level system? I have a Pioneer receiver from a Woot sale six months ago, and since I live in an apartment I can't invest in a more powerful system, just need something to sound good for movies and games.

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown

Anyone looking for a 5.1 speaker system, should probably look elsewhere. I just bought a 5.1 setup this morning before this plus sale appeared. I was about to be really angry until I saw that I got a better deal for a set with much better specifications (wattage, and frequency response). In case people are wondering I got the Onkyo SKS-HT690, it was 190 with free shipping on newegg this morning. Amazon has the same price on the Onkyo set but is backordered (but you can pay $30 extra to get from a vendor today, but you might as well just go to newegg).

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
deltax20a wrote:I keep seeing the Energy Take speakers, the price is pretty good, but are these speakers good for an entry-level system? I have a Pioneer receiver from a Woot sale six months ago, and since I live in an apartment I can't invest in a more powerful system, just need something to sound good for movies and games.

I have two sets of them and I am happy with them for a small room (e.g. bedroom, dorm room) those would be perfect for the 'highs'.
For the bass you want a subwoofer or a set of good bookshelf speakers, but keep it gentle - but then you are in the price rang where you could have gotten a 5+1 system for anyways.

Note that investing in a 'powerful' system in terms of audio reproduction does not need to equal a LOUD system.

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
countdown wrote:Anyone looking for a 5.1 speaker system, should probably look elsewhere. I just bought a 5.1 setup this morning before this plus sale appeared. I was about to be really angry until I saw that I got a better deal for a set with much better specifications (wattage, and frequency response). In case people are wondering I got the Onkyo SKS-HT690, it was 190 with free shipping on newegg this morning. Amazon has the same price on the Onkyo set but is backordered (but you can pay $30 extra to get from a vendor today, but you might as well just go to newegg).

careful with the wattage - one is partially rated at 6ohms, the other at 8ohms. Specifications are difficult to compare.
Look also into driver materials, and so on... to me the Klipsch seems to be the 'better quality' system with the price being in the same ballpark.

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown
andreaserben wrote:careful with the wattage - one is partially rated at 6ohms, the other at 8ohms. Specifications are difficult to compare.
Look also into driver materials, and so on... to me the Klipsch seems to be the 'better quality' system with the price being in the same ballpark.

Don't worry I was taking ohms into consideration, I am happy about the 6-ohms on the Onkyo system. Should make things easier if I ever decide to annoy my neighbors.

As for the driver material, I think this might come down to personal preference. The Onkyos use paper, which might sound cheap, but is still used as an ideal material in even nicer speakers out of this price range.

I am curious what makes either one of these Klipsch systems "better quality". I would even trust the Onkyo brand over Klipsch (again, personal preference, and admittedly I don't look down on Klipsch, just prefer Onkyo if I had the choice).

Anyway, always interested in more information. So thanks for sharing.

crunchybrownstar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crunchybrownstar

Is the soundbar bluetooth enabled? I see nothing about it in the description.

smitty2324

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smitty2324
deltax20a wrote:I keep seeing the Energy Take speakers, the price is pretty good, but are these speakers good for an entry-level system? I have a Pioneer receiver from a Woot sale six months ago, and since I live in an apartment I can't invest in a more powerful system, just need something to sound good for movies and games.

The Energy Take Classic 5 pack is exactly the same as the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker system, except that it's sold without the subwoofer. The 5.1 Take Classic got a Editor's Choice rating from CNet's audiophile savant Steve Guttenberg (writes the Audiophile blog for them... not the Police movie guy). Review is here: http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-speaker-systems/energy-take-classic-5/4505-7868_7-33310963.html Also highly suggest some subwoofer if you get this.

nleksan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nleksan

The HD500 5.1ch speaker packages are good for the price, and actually make excellent computer "gaming" and video-watching speakers, as well as "decent" music speakers. They are far and away better than anything labeled as a "computer speaker" outside of the likes of M-Audio (I have a pair of M Audio BX5 D2's running off a Fiio E17, sound card being an Asus Xonar Essence STX).

If you want good computer surround, these are as good as you'll find until you hit about twice the price, especially considering this includes not only the five speakers but also the subwoofer.
They are ideal for smaller rooms (I would say no bigger than ~15'x15' or thereabout), such as bedrooms, dorm rooms, and so forth; they will not be adequate for a home theater, a living room, or other big areas.

One alternative is to use the five included speakers as the surround components in a 7.1/7.2/9.1/9.2/11.1-4ch surround sound setup, with some true Towers for Front-Left/Right and a better center. I usually recommend sticking with the same manufacturer so as to keep the sound (the "voice") consistent between speakers, as it can sometimes be very noticeable and very distracting if you don't.
Some excellent front towers to turn this into a 7.1ch setup would be the Klipsch Icon WF-35's: powerful, excellent dynamic range, strong mid-range, and beautiful to look at too ;)
The problem is that the included center channel here is not so great, and I would personally upgrade to a WC-24(W) Center to have a matching voice to the FR/FL towers.
You can then grab a second one of the included center channel speakers, get a pair of wall mounts, turn them vertical and use them as either Front-High/Wide or even as the Primary Surround Channels depending on whether you're using a 7.x, 9.x, or 11.x receiver.

skimessiah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skimessiah

Are the Image ONE Headphones any different than the ones that Woot was selling for $69.99 on Dec 17th?

3 weeks and the price drops 30%... I'm kinda disappointed Woot, were the prices just high back then because it was before Christmas?

jamieinoc

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jamieinoc
skimessiah wrote:Are the Image ONE Headphones any different than the ones that Woot was selling for $69.99 on Dec 17th?

3 weeks and the price drops 30%... I'm kinda disappointed Woot, were the prices just high back then because it was before Christmas?

They're the same. I bought them at the higher price, and love them, but would have loved another $20 off.

rantng

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rantng
jamieinoc wrote:They're the same. I bought them at the higher price, and love them, but would have loved another $20 off.

Same here. Loved them so much I picked up a second pair on Amazon. Really wished I'd known there would be a $20 price drop.

I normally prefer in-ear buds as they offer much better sound isolation and have recently started getting into over-ear headphones, but thought I'd give these a try based on many reviews. These are now my daily commuters. They offer good isolation with little leakage. Even with my skullcap covering my ears and these on top of them, they offer decent isolation, plus I can hear announcements by the train conductor (a definite plus when riding NYC MTA).

torturegarden

quality posts: 4 Private Messages torturegarden

I was secretly hoping for a pair of Klipschorns. Oh well, maybe next time.

rvz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rvz

I actually own this soundbar and it gives off great sound. Way, way better than just going with the TV speaker. I do have one problem with it though - it won't hold the remote programming. In fact, it no longer will hold the program of a remote that worked just a few days ago. So I pretty much have get up off my lazy but to change the volume.

As best as I can tell it's identical to the Klipsch version unless they populate it with different drivers. It's the same physical design though.

The other thing to keep in mind is that it doesn't have a decoder so you can only send linear PCM 2.1 to it. I had all sorts of problems getting sound from my PS3 to the TV.

For this price it's decent. Hopefully they fixed the remote programming.

richaemry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richaemry

I'd snag a set of the larger cans since I love my Klipsch image Ones but I'm not interested in active noise cancelling.

Se la vive --guess I'll just put my Grado's back on...

nleksan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nleksan
richaemry wrote:I'd snag a set of the larger cans since I love my Klipsch image Ones but I'm not interested in active noise cancelling.

Se la vive --guess I'll just put my Grado's back on...

Ah, a fellow Grado fan! I go through TONS of headphones, but you would literally have to pry my SR225's/RS1i's/RS2i's/GS1000's/PS1000's from my cold-dead-hands!

arrival

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arrival
torturegarden wrote:I was secretly hoping for a pair of Klipschorns. Oh well, maybe next time.

My friend's father bought a pair back in the late 60's... fantastic sound! And LOUD... to put it this way, you will never even make it to "eleven" on the dial. His father liked them so much he bought him a set of Heresy's in 83... he was 3 at the time but still has them. His father still blast's his Klipschorns too.

gtcharlie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gtcharlie

I too bought a pair of the image ones last time they were offered. A word of caution in my opinion. You had better like a lot of bass. If you are using them with something that has an equalizer go for it by all means. You can turn these into a great sounding and extremely comfortable pair of headphones. Unfortunately I do a lot of listening on my iPhone through the Rhapsody app and there is no equalizer provided in the app. Still looking for a solution there. Might even switch to spotify.

talon4x4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages talon4x4
skimessiah wrote:

Doesn't every store drop their prices after the holidays?!? I'm guessing its not different for Woot.

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky
countdown wrote:Don't worry I was taking ohms into consideration, I am happy about the 6-ohms on the Onkyo system. Should make things easier if I ever decide to annoy my neighbors.

As for the driver material, I think this might come down to personal preference. The Onkyos use paper, which might sound cheap, but is still used as an ideal material in even nicer speakers out of this price range.

I am curious what makes either one of these Klipsch systems "better quality". I would even trust the Onkyo brand over Klipsch (again, personal preference, and admittedly I don't look down on Klipsch, just prefer Onkyo if I had the choice).

Anyway, always interested in more information. So thanks for sharing.

I can comment. Onkyo isn't really known for speakers, while Klipsch is. Onkyo started throwing speakers in with a receiver to make "theater-in-a-box" sets some years ago when the market demanded it, and has done fairly well with "box" sets, at least in the $200-500 range. But Klipsch is a speaker company that is older than most people, they do know what they are doing. For home theater use, the horns that are their signature style are great. Most of TV/movies is actually talking, not explosions or music. And horns are made for voice. It's a great fit.

That said, I've always found the "in a box" or computer speakers by Klipsch to be a little thin sounding. A little screechy on highs and thin in the midrange. I have never bought any of them, choosing other small sets when it came up. I have not listened to any recent models, though.

I do have a full 7 speaker setup from their mid line from a few years ago. Powered by an Onkyo receiver. Excellent sound for theater use, although when playing orchestra music it is clear they are not audiophile-level speakers.

And, of course, the classic series are wonderful as discussed by others. A little pricey, though.

mpb6990

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mpb6990

In for 3 on the Image One's, my friends dad got a pair of them on one of those penny bidding sites and I've been jealous ever since... Now I've got a one up on him after I sell 2 pairs to make my pair free.

garygary52

quality posts: 3 Private Messages garygary52

Ordered 1 of the image one. As for $50 with all those reviews out there I like to give it a try. Only thing I am aware is it only has 90 days warranty.

GeorgeZboy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages GeorgeZboy

For the sound bar: "What's in the box" doesn't seem to list a power cord at all, and the photos don't show any. I presume both the sound bar AND sub need power, though I can't see the power connection in the tiny sound bar photo. The whole point of a wireless system goes moot if I have some glomy transformer to hang on the wall to power the bar. What's the deal, woot! ?

amorphousalias

quality posts: 5 Private Messages amorphousalias

iOS does have an EQ, though it is not conveniently placed, at settings > Music

gtcharlie wrote:I too bought a pair of the image ones last time they were offered. A word of caution in my opinion. You had better like a lot of bass. If you are using them with something that has an equalizer go for it by all means. You can turn these into a great sounding and extremely comfortable pair of headphones. Unfortunately I do a lot of listening on my iPhone through the Rhapsody app and there is no equalizer provided in the app. Still looking for a solution there. Might even switch to spotify.

gtcharlie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gtcharlie
amorphousalias wrote:iOS does have an EQ, though it is not conveniently placed, at settings > Music

Unfortunately the equalizer does not function through an external app like Rhapsody. Only the music app provided by Apple

bpysoc0624

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bpysoc0624
jamieinoc wrote:They're the same. I bought them at the higher price, and love them, but would have loved another $20 off.

Hi-

Did Woot offer them as refurbished or brand new?

bpysoc0624

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bpysoc0624
arrival wrote:My friend's father bought a pair back in the late 60's... fantastic sound! And LOUD... to put it this way, you will never even make it to "eleven" on the dial. His father liked them so much he bought him a set of Heresy's in 83... he was 3 at the time but still has them. His father still blast's his Klipschorns too.

Ditto, I bought my Klipsch Herseys back when I was in the Navy stationed in Naples Italy in 1983. Man do I love them!