3%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

hellpaso

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hellpaso

I got the portable version of this from woot a few years back. I still use & love it, but I don't really know how this one compares. I'm sure some expert can fill you in on the details.

"this is the best costume for the day"
little edie beale--grey gardens (1976)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Anyone care to share how this will help you with your 2012 taxes?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Doug0716

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Doug0716
ThunderThighs wrote:Anyone care to share how this will help you with your 2012 taxes?

If you have all of your receipts you could scan them in and it will (should) automatically get the tax information off of them, which you can use for deductions.

vipermjb

quality posts: 40 Private Messages vipermjb

This is one of Oprah's "favorite things"

sarcy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sarcy

I'll stick with my multi function, duplex scanning, 11 x 17 flatbed, Brother j6910DW (which cost the same) thank you!

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1077 Private Messages whatsamattaU

fewer words due to time and tendency to screw up when tired: previous woot also $249.99 (sold many times):
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5243594

The reason you might buy this is because of the proprietary software, with its pluses and minuses (but can create pdf's of documents/receipts) including creating your virtual filing cabinets within the software's limitations, including tax-related categories. Bye.

rretired

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rretired

Can anyone tell me about it being refurbished and not new? What does refurbished usually mean on Woot items?

Thanks

rretired

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rretired

Never mind. I should of taken the time to read the comment above mine where it explains refurbished.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
Doug0716 wrote:If you have all of your receipts you could scan them in and it will (should) automatically get the tax information off of them, which you can use for deductions.

The OCR is OK, but you still have to check over all the receipts and often manually adjust the totals etc.

mdickinson

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mdickinson

As soon as you start talking about a fast, easy desktop scanner to scan lots of your papers, receipts, etc., everyone seems to start talking about the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500.

I don't have one, but I have several friends who are converts and rave about their ScanSnap S1500. They have successfully reduced their total household paper to one drawer in a file cabinet. (Needless to say, I'm jealous - I just looked around my home office and I have 21 full file cabinet drawers.)

I would be interested to hear from someone who has used this and/or the ScanSnap S1500, which is significantly more expen$ive ($414 at the mother ship)

electricquad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages electricquad

Hmmmm, let's weigh the options because this woot is pretty Neat.... bwahahahaha.

From the interwebs:
New:
Neatdesk - ~$380 - same one as being sold, large clunky and some reviews indicate that receipts still need to be fed one at a time... my guess is that this becomes more true the more time the receipt has spent in your pocket.

Neatreceipts (Neatmagicwand) - ~$180 - Portable version that seems to do the same thing. Looks like a magic wand. Papers must be fed one at a time.

Neatmobile - ~$150/yr or month by month smartphone app that does the same thing using the camera's phone and uploads it to the cloud.

My money is on Neatmobile or Neatmagicwand being a better deal. Also, let's face it - this is on Woot because no one is buying it from Neat. Put this Woot in the same closet as the tractor trailer full of Leak Frogs please... (poor Woot... so abused).

electricquad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages electricquad
ThunderThighs wrote:Anyone care to share how this will help you with your 2012 taxes?

Actually you can throw it at members of congress who won't vote / compromise on a budget. Plastic receipt scanners raining down from above would make anyone do what they are paid to do.

(Would have been funnier two days ago.)

midshipmanWOOT

quality posts: 1 Private Messages midshipmanWOOT

Can I plug this into an Apple Airport Express and wireless scan documents to my computer?

Canucken

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Canucken

Absolutely worthless. An overpriced scanner. I have this one, paid a lot more for it and had high hopes. It's in a box in the basement. It wouldn't sort information on even the most basic of receipts. My HP printer is a better scanner and was a lot less money. Don't waste your time.

pmaahs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmaahs

Wow! Will export to Quicken! (Then from Quicken to Turbo Tax!) This will help with that box of stuff on my desk that is supposed to be my tax information! I can't wait! And this years resolution is to be and stay more organized. I just can't wait to get it!

JudithMcMillen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JudithMcMillen

Sorry one of my few comments will be a downer, but I've so appreciated other Wooters' comments - good and bad.

I bought this a couple of years ago from (not from Woot). I returned it quickly. The software was the problem for me. I didn't want it to try to classify my freshly-scanned document into a recipe or a receipt, but it sure wanted to.

I do have the ScanSnap S1300. It's small and very efficient. It will scan both sides of a document in one pass and will accommodate several pages in the feeder.

The software for the NeatDesk Scanner may be just right for many, just didn't work at all for me.

Bandrik

quality posts: 77 Private Messages Bandrik

In my war on paper clutter, I have purchased all scanners mentioned above, including this one, the Neat mobile scanner, a Epson flatbed scanner, and the ScanSnap S1500. Here's a comparison, a "strategy guide" if you will.

In my opinion, all are great, and I actually use them all. Just depends on what I want to do.

ScanSnap is best for general documents, especially if you make them OCR-read PDFs (this lets you search documents for specific words, etc). It will auto-feed a whole stack of documents, and ask for more. It does scan both sides at once (duplex scan). Not good for photos or thick documents.

Neat Mobile works nice, especially for its portability. Runs off of USB power. But its slow to pull documents through, and you have to hand-feed each sheet. It uses the Neat software to store, manage, and search for your documents. Some like it, others don't. But you can always just scan to vanilla PDF files.

Neat Desktop (this item) is a hybrid of the previous two. It is good for general documents, and it will auto-feed like the ScanSnap. Still uses the Neat software, like or hate it. Does duplex (both sides) scan. Not as fast or good as the ScanSnap, but it is cheaper.

Flatbed scanner: good for high-quality scanning for photos, larger documents, or thick documents. But its super slow.

Hope that helps you select what is best for you. Again, I use them all, each for their strengths. "Right tool for the right job". Overkill? Sure. But works for me.

zizzybaloobah

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zizzybaloobah

My partner is an organizing fiend and loves his NeatDesk, which he's had for several years now.

Let's face it, scanners are cheap commodities nowadays, so what makes NeatDesk worth the big price tag?

Answer: the intelligent software that comes with the scanner. It attempts to detect the type of information being scanned and then takes appropriate action. You end up with a useful collection of information instead of zillions of scanned images.

kaminztor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaminztor

Has anybody used the "NeatReceipts Mobile Scanning" Sold for $180 at Costco? Any comparisons? WHich would be better not considering mobility?

Bandrik

quality posts: 77 Private Messages Bandrik
kaminztor wrote:Has anybody used the "NeatReceipts Mobile Scanning" Sold for $180 at Costco? Any comparisons? WHich would be better not considering mobility?

See my post above for more details.

In short, for the price difference, just get the NeatDesk here on Woot. It's "mobile enough" to move around your desk and not take up a ton of space. You could even unhook the power and USB cable and put it on a shelf somewhere until you do a box of receipts all at once... or just leave it out and always on, and scan receipts every day when you get them (recommended).

Also, the big one goes MUCH faster, and can handle up to 15 receipts (or, well, anything) at a time. Plus, it can scan both sides at once for documents, something the little one cannot do at all.

In short, anything the little one can do, the desk version does better. It just can't fit in a pocket and needs an A/C adapter for power.

Doug0716

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Doug0716
hellpaso wrote:I got the portable version of this from woot a few years back. I still use & love it, but I don't really know how this one compares. I'm sure some expert can fill you in on the details.

Are you on the latest version of the software (version 5)? There seems to be a lot of "I used to have it" comments, and I'm wondering if the software has gotten better which seems to be the biggest complaint.

essay2u

quality posts: 7 Private Messages essay2u
kaminztor wrote:Has anybody used the "NeatReceipts Mobile Scanning" Sold for $180 at Costco? Any comparisons? WHich would be better not considering mobility?

I have the mobile version - not this one. I considered getting this one but there are lots of ADF scanners out there and this one has always seemed to have many varied reviews. Canon also has a more portable version that can do multiple documents. The truth is that although I have used the mobile one and liked it well-enough, it wasn't life changing. I still have too many papers and don't feel like feeding them one at a time into software that has too many restrictions. Just my opinion. Ask yourself, do you just want to occasionally scan in receipts, business cards, or a one-sided page here and there? or are you looking to go paperless? If you are looking to go paperless, I would do some comparison shopping. The Fujitsu ScanSnap has a lot of excellent reviews - does it warrant a $150 jump in price? that is up to you. I just know that given all the varied experiences (including my own) I would rather purchase something (refurbished or not) that I can return in 30 days if I haven't used it or changed my habits.

giolee88

quality posts: 17 Private Messages giolee88
Bandrik wrote:In my war on paper clutter, I have purchased all scanners mentioned above, including this one, the Neat mobile scanner, a Epson flatbed scanner, and the ScanSnap S1500. Here's a comparison, a "strategy guide" if you will.

In my opinion, all are great, and I actually use them all. Just depends on what I want to do.

ScanSnap is best for general documents, especially if you make them OCR-read PDFs (this lets you search documents for specific words, etc). It will auto-feed a whole stack of documents, and ask for more. It does scan both sides at once (duplex scan). Not good for photos or thick documents.

Neat Mobile works nice, especially for its portability. Runs off of USB power. But its slow to pull documents through, and you have to hand-feed each sheet. It uses the Neat software to store, manage, and search for your documents. Some like it, others don't. But you can always just scan to vanilla PDF files.

Neat Desktop (this item) is a hybrid of the previous two. It is good for general documents, and it will auto-feed like the ScanSnap. Still uses the Neat software, like or hate it. Does duplex (both sides) scan. Not as fast or good as the ScanSnap, but it is cheaper.

Flatbed scanner: good for high-quality scanning for photos, larger documents, or thick documents. But its super slow.

Hope that helps you select what is best for you. Again, I use them all, each for their strengths. "Right tool for the right job". Overkill? Sure. But works for me.

Thx for the guide!

docyde

quality posts: 0 Private Messages docyde

can anybody tell me how to get it to work?

docyde

quality posts: 0 Private Messages docyde

does anybody know how to return this scanner.it does not work for me

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

docyde wrote:does anybody know how to return this scanner.it does not work for me

Sorry for the problems. If you're having trouble getting it to work or if it seems defective, you might try Neat technical support.

As far as returns, this section and the next one in the Woot FAQ should help.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items