zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Happy New Year

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

Something is wrong. We have a computer for sale and there's not one wooter that has something to say about it? Not one.

Egads, maybe the world did end.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

p2k2000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages p2k2000

Quad-core BRAINS, my FAVORITE! RAAUGHGHHHA

davearnold731

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davearnold731

This is a great deal if you get a good one. I have bought two pads from woot in the last year and they both had to be sent off for repairs. One 4 times. Woot will not help at all if you get a bad one. So good luck with HP and their warranty!

David D Arnold

hamjudo

quality posts: 9 Private Messages hamjudo

Good news for those who don't want Windows 8, this HP quadcore is old enough to come with Windows 7.

{Just posting so TT won't be too lonely. I'm afraid I haven't done any research to see how this HP quadcore desktop compares to any of the other HP quadcore desktops that have been on Woot over the last 18 months.)

maraich

quality posts: 3 Private Messages maraich

Just snagged one for my dad. His current computer was 2 gigs of RAM and is slower than a tortoise in tar. This new one has Windows 7 on it (as does his current one), so I won't have to retrain him. Woot!

Crab

quality posts: 48 Private Messages Crab

I notice that Woot is not offering a Squaretrade warranty option with this, and Squaretrade does not appear to offer warranties for refurbished desktops. Anyone know of a reputable provider of warranties for refurbished desktops?

ThunderThighs

Staff

Crab wrote:I notice that Woot is not offering a Squaretrade warranty option with this, and Squaretrade does not appear to offer warranties for refurbished desktops. Anyone know of a reputable provider of warranties for refurbished desktops?

SquareTrade warranty is there on the bottom of the Features tab. You can get SqTr warranties for refurbished computers through authorized sites. We are one of those sites.

FORUM MODERATOR

maraich

quality posts: 3 Private Messages maraich
Crab wrote:I notice that Woot is not offering a Squaretrade warranty option with this, and Squaretrade does not appear to offer warranties for refurbished desktops. Anyone know of a reputable provider of warranties for refurbished desktops?

I'm showing it is eligible for Squaretrade. If you click on the computer to bring up the full screen of features, it lists it there.

jonares1500

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonares1500
ThunderThighs wrote:Something is wrong. We have a computer for sale and there's not one wooter that has something to say about it? Not one.

Well... I might, but it wouldn't necessarily be glowing.... as I struggle with the HP h8-1214 I swiped from Woot back in May or June.... this model has 2 gig more RAM and a half a pterodactyl of hard drive more, but I'm reading online of the many (like myself) that are finding these AMD HPs can't boot with an external USB hard drive attached, as I have discovered..... but other than that, it's pretty!

caferace

quality posts: 1 Private Messages caferace

That's a serious amount of computing horsepower for under 500 bones. I don't need a desktop at the moment (bit of a road warrior, on an HP laptop) but if I did I'd pick one up.

Good deal, w00t!

davearnold731

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davearnold731

You can adjust the USB boot off in the bios

jonares1500 wrote:Well... I might, but it wouldn't necessarily be glowing.... as I struggle with the HP h8-1214 I swiped from Woot back in May or June.... this model has 2 gig more RAM and a half a pterodactyl of hard drive more, but I'm reading online of the many (like myself) that are finding these AMD HPs can't boot with an external USB hard drive attached, as I have discovered..... but other than that, it's pretty!

David D Arnold

kdbrich

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kdbrich
davearnold731 wrote:You can adjust the USB boot off in the bios

I considered buying it but the last one I got off of woot is still chugging along nicely. Even better after I dropped an ssd in it.

Batman4oz

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Batman4oz
ThunderThighs wrote:Something is wrong. We have a computer for sale and there's not one wooter that has something to say about it? Not one.

We just don't want to spill our cocktails while typing!
I've chug-a-lugged mine, so can now wish you and the rest of the woot-lets a Happy 2013!

^^X^^

Wooting for Bat Capes
JUDY-ism...the Only Religion I need!
WWJD...What Would JUDY Do?!
thebatcaveofoz.us
^^X^^

Batman4oz

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Batman4oz

And...while this looks pretty and shiny, I am Not 'H-a-P' with this brand.
I already have an old HP desktop with Windows 98 and a 2005 HP Media Center PC...both still work, but are pretty much useless and can't be upgraded.
Guess they would make nice Bookends!?
Then there was the old HP laptop that I sold in a yard sale for $60, that I managed to 'upgrade' from 98 to 2000!!
And, with my Dell 17" laptop that I use almost exclusively since 2008, the 12" HP laptop that I gave away...the Dell 12" laptop/tablet thingy...the 5" Samsung Tablet...the 10" Toshiba Thrive.....
I Think I have quite Enough Tech...for now!

^^X^^

Wooting for Bat Capes
JUDY-ism...the Only Religion I need!
WWJD...What Would JUDY Do?!
thebatcaveofoz.us
^^X^^

eightball

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eightball

Come on Woot!!!! You can do better than $479!!!! www.1saleaday.com sold this EXACT SAME system on their site last week for $399!!! I know cause I bought one! Where's the Fruitcake? Woot??? I thought you guys were better than that??

djhunt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages djhunt
jonares1500 wrote:Well... I might, but it wouldn't necessarily be glowing.... as I struggle with the HP h8-1214 I swiped from Woot back in May or June.... this model has 2 gig more RAM and a half a pterodactyl of hard drive more, but I'm reading online of the many (like myself) that are finding these AMD HPs can't boot with an external USB hard drive attached, as I have discovered..... but other than that, it's pretty!

Pretty...

I want One! One What? What you got! it's gone.

efiguero

quality posts: 3 Private Messages efiguero

So would this computer suffice for video editing and graphic design work (Abobe Illustrator, Photoshop, etc)?

merritt77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages merritt77

Throw a better power supply in there and it might be worth $500. 300W is really low.

nutmeg3

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nutmeg3
merritt77 wrote:Throw a better power supply in there and it might be worth $500. 300W is really low.

Great point.

steiger21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages steiger21

Wasn't this under deals woot for $400 a week or two ago? What's up with that...?

ilovemylunchbox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ilovemylunchbox

I've never actually bought a prebuilt computer like this. Is there enough room in the case to work around and replace that atrocious PSU in an otherwise well priced machine?

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
merritt77 wrote:Throw a better power supply in there and it might be worth $500. 300W is really low.

It's been a long time since I've seen the power supply rants on woot! For most people who buy this the included ps is just fine. If you plan on upgrading to a dedicated video card you are likely looking at a different machine anyway because these pre built machines usually have limited room (physical space) for larger graphics cards etc.

This would make a pretty good machine for video editing and photoshop especially with that much ram.

I'm a little concerned about the 2tb drive, I recently bought a windows 7 Acer with a second generation i5 that had a 2tb drive in it which performs very, very slow especially when writing data. I wish manufacturer's would publish the hard drive make and model as the hard drive is likely highest performance bottleneck for most non gaming users.

catherinemcclarey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages catherinemcclarey

With the AMD A10 processor in there, most people wouldn't need to add a dedicated video card in order to play games. I remember user reviews of A6 & A8 laptops from a year ago, boasting of how well Skyrim ran on them without having dedicated graphics RAM, so an A10 should be even better at running games. Also, that 2TB HD is twice the size of any computer my family owns, so the only thing you'd want an external HD for with that would be backups. If this has issues booting up with an external HD attached, why not just plug it in after bootup?
I would definitely spring for the SquareTrade warranty, though; 90 days is just not long enough for a proper "shakedown cruise" of a new-to-you computer.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

One of the benefits to purchasing a windows 7 computer is that it comes with Office Starter (basically free word and excel). Microsoft no longer provides Office Starter on pc's with windows 8 pre installed so you end up forking over another $99 for Office home and student.

You should still able to upgrade this pc to Windows 8 pro for $14.99 through Microsoft's upgrade offer and retain its pre installed Office Starter just be sure to install and update office starter before you upgrade to windows 8.

MightyMouse75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MightyMouse75

Hardly a good deal when you can get the following NEW desktop from HP directly for $479..
Intel Core i5-3330 3GHz Quad-Core Ivy Bridge; 6GB RAM; 1TB HDD; DVD burner; 802.11n wifi; Windows 8; DVI; card reader; 1yr warranty

Considering the I5 is infinitely better than any CPU AMD has released in the past EVER I'd say this is the much better option.. Ram is cheap and who cares about 12GB or RAM when the CPU is slow and has small amounts of Cache..
If I were in the Market for a PC I'd go with the HP deal I listed.. Use coupon code "20TECHBARG" to get it for $479..
Did I mention it's new and not a refurb also? Disappointing woot.. Very disappointing..

MightyMouse75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MightyMouse75
efiguero wrote:So would this computer suffice for video editing and graphic design work (Abobe Illustrator, Photoshop, etc)?

Go to HP and get this deal instead.. You can add RAM for cheap..
HP has the HP Pavilion p7-1420t Intel Core i5-3330 Quad-Core Ivy Bridge Desktop Computer for a low $479.99 Free Shipping after $20 off Coupon Code: "20TECHBARG" (Exp Soon). [Compare Prices]
Intel Core i5-3330 3GHz Quad-Core Ivy Bridge; 6GB RAM; 1TB HDD; DVD burner; 802.11n wifi; Windows 8; DVI; card reader; 1yr warranty

16GB of ram costs $50.00 right now.. So trust me, the HP deal for a new computer is much better.

MJPerron

quality posts: 4 Private Messages MJPerron
MightyMouse75 wrote:Hardly a good deal when you can get the following NEW desktop from HP directly for $479..

Considering the I5 is infinitely better than any CPU AMD has released in the past EVER I'd say this is the much better option.. Ram is cheap and who cares about 12GB or RAM when the CPU is slow and has small amounts of Cache..
If I were in the Market for a PC I'd go with the HP deal I listed.. Use coupon code "20TECHBARG" to get it for $479..
Did I mention it's new and not a refurb also? Disappointing woot.. Very disappointing..

Nice Post. You saved me from buying this (as did the other guy who noted that onesaleaday had the unit for $399.

But the coupon 20TECHBARG has now expired

rsherry

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rsherry

I have this PC that I bought in 2010. I am typing from it. However, I did upgrade it with everything possible (16GB ram), TV Card, Blu-Ray, etc.

IT STILL WORKS AND IT DOES SO, WONDERFULLY!

THIS IS A GREAT PC - THE BEST I EVER HAD. I RECOMMEND IT.

rsherry

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rsherry
davearnold731 wrote:This is a great deal if you get a good one. I have bought two pads from woot in the last year and they both had to be sent off for repairs. One 4 times. Woot will not help at all if you get a bad one. So good luck with HP and their warranty!

Sorry, but I have NEVER had a problem with my HP Desktop and the Pad I bought from Woot is still working! You are just a bad card and you did not clearly read their policy statement, did you?

Some people......they just ain't ever happy. Everything I have ever purchased from Woot! IS STILLING WORKING.

bunnykins

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bunnykins

Well I was at a party until 2 am and then went to bed. I just woke up a little bit ago.

mevande

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mevande
hamjudo wrote:Good news for those who don't want Windows 8, this HP quadcore is old enough to come with Windows 7.

{Just posting so TT won't be too lonely. I'm afraid I haven't done any research to see how this HP quadcore desktop compares to any of the other HP quadcore desktops that have been on Woot over the last 18 months.)

Windows 8 is fast! and there is a utility that makes it look like Windows 7 re: the UI

mevande

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mevande

Not a good deal on a refurb. For that kind of scratch I would want a 6 way with similar specs re: hard drive.

Crab

quality posts: 48 Private Messages Crab
ThunderThighs wrote:SquareTrade warranty is there on the bottom of the Features tab. You can get SqTr warranties for refurbished computers through authorized sites. We are one of those sites.

Apparently I am an snowman, and/or drank too much on New Year's. Somehow missed that. Thanks.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422

This is a spectacular machine at this price. A close friend brought the nearly identical computer (his had 4GB RAM) to me to fix because it was so slow. I had to re-install Windows (using the restore partition already on the hard drive). After removing all of the pre-installed bloatware, teaseware, crapware and tempware (including the pre-installed Norton Antivirus) BEFORE doing anything else made this thing lightning fast.
Word to the wise... remove everything in the add/remove programs that begin with HP. You don't need them.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

jonares1500

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonares1500
davearnold731 wrote:You can adjust the USB boot off in the bios

No dice. You can turn off all USB-everything in the BIOS, and it still won't make it to POST. Known issue to HP.

MJPerron

quality posts: 4 Private Messages MJPerron
MightyMouse75 wrote:Hardly a good deal when you can get the following NEW desktop from HP directly for $479..

Is their an appreciable difference between the i5-3330 and the i5-2320?

k87

quality posts: 2 Private Messages k87

Please correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know HP has not expressed any intention of writing drivers for the Beats audio on Linux.

beabird

quality posts: 1 Private Messages beabird

Decent machine, but don't expect a speed monster here. Processor (cpu mark of 4,488) and graphics card are (g3d mark of 938) are nothing to get too excited about (http://www.cpubenchmark.net). Having said that, this will be a fine machine for 95% of users out there.