WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: What search engine do you use?
  • 90.9% - Google 2822
  • 5.5% - Bing 171
  • 3.5% - Other (please, please explain) 110
3103 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

I crawl my own! :-P

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

KATANARYDA

quality posts: 5 Private Messages KATANARYDA

duck duck go

w00ten since 7/24/04 and still no Boggy Old Creature ಠ_ಠ

TheDagda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheDagda

boolify.org

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

ceagee

quality posts: 62 Private Messages ceagee

Goodsearch

You can raise money --- a penny a search - for your favorite cause .

btpaschke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages btpaschke

People actually use bing? "Search the sites that Microsoft thinks you need, and only those sites"

tekman7d0

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tekman7d0

Over the past few months I've run a bunch of tests and found that Bing actually does a marginally better job as a search engine than Google.
The big problem is that the Bing home page has too much going on. When I want to look something up, I want to do it fast, and waiting for all pretty pictures to load is a waste of my time.
So, for now I'm sticking with Google.

jimmygeek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimmygeek

Ixquick, because nobody needs to know for what I'm searching.

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches

Google at work. Yahoo at home.

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

hood1953

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hood1953

yahoo

johnnyz77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnnyz77

[quote postid="5294795" user="ceagee"]Goodsearch

You can raise money --- a penny a search - for your favorite cause .[

Thanks for reminding me. My cousin has a charity and now i can help raise $ for them.

Dave Shearer

calicojack42

quality posts: 3 Private Messages calicojack42

Split for me. Since Google did their safe search overhaul, I *sometimes* use Bing, and the results have been.... surprisingly good.

gibizugbe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gibizugbe

Yahoo

wootferret

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootferret

duckduckgo.com
It weeds out many of the promoted (read: crap) results from Google et al.

benjaminthobe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benjaminthobe

I use Duck Duck Go. Doesn't track.

FarNorth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages FarNorth
KATANARYDA wrote:duck duck go

I'm a privacy advocate, so I'm a DuckDuck user, too.

madmatt2024

quality posts: 2 Private Messages madmatt2024

I usually use Google or Yahoo.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Dogpile

kutiel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kutiel

I use to use Google until they started filtering the results.

rinty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rinty

DuckDuckGo.com...at least on one computer

teevee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages teevee

Bing for naughty list, duckduckgo for everything else.

Edit: "naughty list", really? Can I call it videos of the sexy variety?

a04971xx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages a04971xx

I use goodsearch search engine (powered by Yahoo). I only use it because every time you search, it donates a penny to your charity of choice.

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100
tekman7d0 wrote:Over the past few months I've run a bunch of tests and found that Bing actually does a marginally better job as a search engine than Google.
The big problem is that the Bing home page has too much going on. When I want to look something up, I want to do it fast, and waiting for all pretty pictures to load is a waste of my time.
So, for now I'm sticking with Google.

The cluttered search page is exactly why Yahoo failed and Google succeeded. Yahoo tried to be an all-in-one information portal with its newsfeed, calendar, etc while Google was just a minimalist search engine. I'm surprised that Microsoft didn't learn from Yahoo's mistake.

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100

My guess is that a significant percentage of Yahoo users don't do so by choice. They were probably victims of a forced installation of Yahoo as their default search engine by some Shareware/Freeware setup. Yahoo's desperation is evident in the fact that there is usually no easy way to uninstall Yahoo.

bnbsouthworth

quality posts: 56 Private Messages bnbsouthworth

Funny how yahoo was THE search engine not that long ago. Now it doesn't even rate on a two-question poll. Like they didn't even think of it. And google has become a verb.

roni24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roni24
bnbsouthworth wrote:Funny how yahoo was THE search engine not that long ago. Now it doesn't even rate on a two-question poll. Like they didn't even think of it. And google has become a verb.

Googolplex hasn't been changed at least. It's one of my favorite words. It just weird in my opinion.

lemminghunter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lemminghunter

I mostly use Google, but I try to use bing to get my bing rewards. If you use bing anyway you should really sign up for awards you can get all kinds of cool things just for searching.

wingedsurfgirl

quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl
lemminghunter wrote:I mostly use Google, but I try to use bing to get my bing rewards. If you use bing anyway you should really sign up for awards you can get all kinds of cool things just for searching.

Hmmm... Nice to know, but I may try one of the other suggestions above.

I used to use Google... And usually for shopping. Now it seems I can't sort from low to high price results anymore, and with the whole being paid to put some stuff up top, I decided to jump ship. I've been bing'ing it once I started trying to get deals on Christmas presents. My biggest gripe honestly is merely from an aesthetic perspective, but that is huge to me, if I'm constantly having to search. I don't like the color contrasts (or lack thereof) in the links/descriptions, and the font selection is atrocious.

dfunkmaster

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dfunkmaster

Thanks for the suggestions, duck duck go and ixquick. You privacy enthusiasts should check out Iron browser. https://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php

It's like chrome but with the privacy issues stripped out. at least that's what I'm told. Either way, I love it. It's great.

cappo

quality posts: 33 Private Messages cappo

I most often use Startpage.com which is just an easier to remember URL for ixquick.

Why should I add to some company's advertising database?

bacalum

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bacalum

Don't know why everyone's so high on Google. They were MUCH better a few years ago, when they offered disambiguation. For a supposedly advanced service, their "advanced" search feature leaves a lot to be desired. That said, at least they didn't cave to the Chinese government's demand for censorship, which is why I can't even use Google now; it's blocked so often, I've given up in favor of Bing, which cooperates in censorship, but at least I can do some surfing without a VPN.

When rich or powerful people propose a change, it is designed to make them richer or more powerful.

dulcetdarling

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dulcetdarling

duckduckgo

mxtr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mxtr

I always use Ixquick - it's the only search engine that does not record your IP address.

zygor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zygor
cappo wrote:I most often use Startpage.com which is just an easier to remember URL for ixquick.

Why should I add to some company's advertising database?

Startpage.com is great! I can't wait till they launch their e-mail too!

glenasmith

quality posts: 5 Private Messages glenasmith

I had Google as one of my home page tabs loaded with a custom photo (when I was logged in). They took away custom photos in November and I promised to switch, and chose Bing. Not thrilled. Thanks for the recommendation for DuckDuckGo, I'll try that.

MrLrSr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MrLrSr

Dogpile

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain

Get Lycos® or get lost!™

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975
btpaschke wrote:People actually use bing? "Search the sites that Microsoft thinks you need, and only those sites"

i have bing preinstalled on my verizon smartphone. because they obviously know whats best for me.

I always did like yardsales.

bacalum

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bacalum
luke975 wrote:i have bing preinstalled on my verizon smartphone. because they obviously know whats best for me.

I bought a Nokia Lumia Windows "smartphone." HUGE mistake; it's a real PoS (that does not mean Point of Sale here - guess again)!

Among other things, the calendar and agenda functions don't work, and I CAN'T HANG UP, nor can I navigate voice menus, because the screen goes completely blank once the call connects. Brilliant move, Nokia! The latter problem is not new, because a taxi driver had an older phone with the same problem. So, either the Nokia / MS Windows software engineers don't care about that problem, or they're too incompetent to design a phone that you can hang up. Seriously! It's terrible!

I've talked to about 300 people so far, and the consensus is that Nokia used to build good, sturdy phones, but now you should avoid them like the plague. I wasn't surprised to see the Nokia 910 on lists of 2012's Five Worst Tech Disasters. The Lumias should have been on last year's lists, so I would have been warned in advance.

Now, NOKIA should mean, NO Kidding, It's Awful!

If the Bing/Verizon system is as bad as the NOKiddingIt'sAwful Windows system, you have my sympathy.

When rich or powerful people propose a change, it is designed to make them richer or more powerful.

applepete

quality posts: 0 Private Messages applepete

http://www.marasearch.com/ but that will soon change to a new search engine that is coming out called prohem.com The first was an experimental one done by a friend of mine and the latter is going to be his new and fantastic one...