2%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

jamieinoc

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jamieinoc

These appear to be discontinued; 4 stars and 3 reviews on Amazon, and out of stock on B&H photo.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010COM92

like2wheel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages like2wheel

Mono?
Really?
Exactly what I've been looking for, but I can't help but think my fading hearing still deserves stereo...

Edit: found this while searching because I didn't believe it was actually mono, AssitedAudio had this little tidbit of info in their description:
PLEASE NOTE: Infrared headphones are not recommended for use with a Plasma screen TV or in rooms with fluorescent lights. Plasma screen TVs emit IR radiation that can interfere with reception in IR headphones and IR remote controls. All IR headphones are affected by the IR radiation of Plasma TV screens and fluorescent lights.

yankeesrule

quality posts: 5 Private Messages yankeesrule

Is there a way to enable the TV speakers vs headphones remotely, or at least easily?

This seems useful for watching TV while my wife is sleeping if it can be turned on/off without being unplugged or something.

hellpaso

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hellpaso

This should be great for my husband who likes to get up @ 3am to watch old TV shows on MeTV (and wake me up in the process). He won't notice they're mono. Yay!

"this is the best costume for the day"
little edie beale--grey gardens (1976)

like2wheel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages like2wheel
yankeesrule wrote:Is there a way to enable the TV speakers vs headphones remotely, or at least easily?

This seems useful for watching TV while my wife is sleeping if it can be turned on/off without being unplugged or something.

I have an old Jensen Linx that I have hooked up to the cable box in the bedroom. It's broadcasting all the time, I just turn on the reciever when I need it. And cuz its hooked up to the box, its unaffected when I mute the tv.

haydesigner

quality posts: 15 Private Messages haydesigner

Is there any reason that this would be better than a $15-20 pair of wireless headphones? I mean, other than you wear it under your chin instead of on your head?

kbeckerphx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kbeckerphx

Any comments on how these compare to the TV Ears of song & story? My audiologist speaks highly of TV Ears, and even uses them herself, but there's quite a price difference.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1077 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Since woot's having its woot-off, I'll be real quick here.

First, business:
product sheet (I needed to clarify that the "broadcast distortion" meant the limit of its range. Doesn't have much else:

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/media/productDownloads/productSheets/Set100120100J_ProductSheet.pdf

However, a bit more at their general FAQ for TV listening systems:
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/serviceandsupport_faqs_tv-listening

Finally, a mini-review for the 100 and 100J (comparing Williams Sound vs. Sennheiser with general overview of such headsets), stating "the 100-J also has a 2.5 mm output jack to accommodate additional assistive listening devices, such as induction neck loops that work with hearing aids. Please note, if you intend to use the Sennheiser Set 100J infrared TV listening system with a telecoil (“T“) switch hearing aid, you must purchase the optional Sennheiser EZT100 induction neck loop."

https://www.audiolinks.com/articles/infraredtvlisteningsystemsreview/

Now for the part most of you can skip:

My apologies (I know, moderator already told me I'm the most apologetic person of all time) for the long entries/exchange I had during the battery Christmas revolt. I shouldn't have taken one more peek, and then I should have just turned the other cheek. In short, I value your opinions in helping with buying things (or not) here (or elsewhere) and my primary drive regardless is feeling I can help to chip in a fair share, regardless of what people think (and secondary motives). I'm sorry (oops) about being able to do less recently, we'll see. I also figured that I can't take the quality posts to heaven (as referred to in the back and forth), and figured it was for good will, nothing more.

That being said, to follow TheGuruGuys post from about a week ago, I pleasantly found out today that it's "good to be a member" so to speak. Thank you, Colonel--life is a bit better. As before, have a good holidays/new year in case I don't get back here (work hasn't stopped tonight). So much for quick. Thanks y'all.

haydesigner

quality posts: 15 Private Messages haydesigner
yankeesrule wrote:Is there a way to enable the TV speakers vs headphones remotely, or at least easily?

I imagine this depends solely on your TV. For example, I have a Samsung DLP, and have a cheap pair of wireless headphone plugged in to the back of the set. When I want to use the headphones, I go into the TV menu, and select under Audio Options the "Internal TV Mute" choice. That, for me, turns off the TV speakers and allows the audio to go to the headphones. (I have over 50% hearing loss, so the only way I get to watch TV at night with a sleeping toddler and a cranky wife is via headphones.)

chippedliver

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chippedliver

Potential buyers really need to read this info: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/serviceandsupport_faqs_tv-listening. It seems the these IR units have trouble with plasma screens, LCD HD TVs, and fluorescent lights.

therealjrn

quality posts: 59 Private Messages therealjrn

My local performing arts center uses this brand but they are "RI 250J mono DirectEar" any idea if these would work on their system? It would be nice just to bring our own rather then messing with checking our a pair when we go watch plays or listen to speakers etc.

Happy 10th Woot!

Jester747

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Jester747
haydesigner wrote:Is there any reason that this would be better than a $15-20 pair of wireless headphones? I mean, other than you wear it under your chin instead of on your head?

We use IR equipment just like this (same brand and style, but with the ability to pick from 2 channels) in federal court for assistive listening and/or interpreting. So long as you maintain line-of-sight with the IR transmitter array the reception is crystal clear. However, the farther away you get the more directly you have to face the transmitter (though in court I'm talking 40-50 feet away, but then again, their transmitter panels are the size of laptop screens so it might extrapolate).
Here's the thing though... a few years ago they switched a few of the courtrooms to compact fluorescent lights and sure enough they became far more susceptible to hissing. Also happens when they use plasma screens, although this is rare since they almost always use projectors. Now they're going to some even newer lights because the flickering and audible buzzing was terrible.
So what do we do in these cases? Use our portable RF based equipment that utilize a band of frequencies specifically set aside for assistive listening. Now why don't we just use these all the time? Because with many courtrooms in close proximity the potential for cross-interference is quite increased, albeit unlikely, and a distant second... the possibility for eaves-dropping of sealed court proceedings. IR signals don't penetrate through walls so no problems with that there.

So, to answer your question... if you've already got a lot of RF activity going on, particularly within the spectrum of the headphones you plan to use, then using IR headphones might provide a cleaner signal, or just as importantly, avoid the chance of your headphone system's transmissions messing with your wireless LAN, cordless phone, garage door opener, or whatever.

Oh, and yes, these are most definitely mono. Not an issue in court, but less than ideal for movie watching. If it were me, for sporadic movies, I'd buy RF phones on the least used or least critical spectrum possible. For consistent performance of mostly speech (say the news, talk shows, sports) with very low chances of interference (except from CFLs and plasmas) I'd go with the IR.

Hope this helps!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

whatsamattaU wrote:That being said, to follow TheGuruGuys post from about a week ago, I pleasantly found out today that it's "good to be a member" so to speak. Thank you, Colonel--life is a bit better. As before, have a good holidays/new year in case I don't get back here (work hasn't stopped tonight). So much for quick. Thanks y'all.

YAY! Glad you got it. When you have time, add your post over here.

(And stop apologizing)

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Boxymoron

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Boxymoron

Only slightly on-topic, but had Sennheiser earbuds that I loved. Rather rich bass on the things!

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 38 Private Messages jiggersgreen

This looks really uncomfortable to wear.

epatriot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages epatriot

I haven't seen this asked, at least where I could recognize it... Do these work independently of the tv volume controls? When the wife and I watch tv at the same time, can she still hear tv through the normal speakers even though I'm listening with the headphones? I need the volume at a level that is very uncomfortable for her. If not, does anyone have any suggestions? The biggest problem I have is trying to hear the dialogue over the background music... either that or todays actors all mumble.

epatriot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages epatriot
epatriot wrote:I haven't seen this asked, at least where I could recognize it... Do these work independently of the tv volume controls? When the wife and I watch tv at the same time, can she still hear tv through the normal speakers even though I'm listening with the headphones? I need the volume at a level that is very uncomfortable for her. If not, does anyone have any suggestions? The biggest problem I have is trying to hear the dialogue over the background music... either that or todays actors all mumble.

I forgot to mention - I'm an over 60 old fart so all these young whippersnapper actors of today mumble; nobody talks like John Wayne anymore...

wmbrose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wmbrose
therealjrn wrote:My local performing arts center uses this brand but they are "RI 250J mono DirectEar" any idea if these would work on their system? It would be nice just to bring our own rather then messing with checking our a pair when we go watch plays or listen to speakers etc.

The RI-250 transmits on 2.3MHz. The Set100J uses 95 kHz... so the answer is NO they will not work together.

sennheisertech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sennheisertech
epatriot wrote:I haven't seen this asked, at least where I could recognize it... Do these work independently of the tv volume controls? When the wife and I watch tv at the same time, can she still hear tv through the normal speakers even though I'm listening with the headphones? I need the volume at a level that is very uncomfortable for her. If not, does anyone have any suggestions? The biggest problem I have is trying to hear the dialogue over the background music... either that or todays actors all mumble.

It depends on your TV and how the outputs are set up. If the output on your TV are fixed then the SET100-J will work independently of the TV volume.

therealjrn

wmbrose wrote:The RI-250 transmits on 2.3MHz. The Set100J uses 95 kHz... so the answer is NO they will not work together.

Thanks. I suspected they wouldn't be compatible.

Happy 10th Woot!

hurrifred2002

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hurrifred2002
haydesigner wrote:Is there any reason that this would be better than a $15-20 pair of wireless headphones? I mean, other than you wear it under your chin instead of on your head?

IR phones may be better because most other phones use radio frequency. Many of the radio frequency phones interfere with home WiFi and other wireless devices.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

Ergonomically speaking, the point of these hanging down instead of being over your head is that they're intended to be used while propped up in bed. Conventional headphones interfere with your head resting on a soft surface.

riastar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riastar

Yes, these work independently of the TV volume. At least the T.V. Ears that I just bought my parents do. You can mute the TV or keep the volume low while listening through the head set. It's great!

259villa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 259villa

We purchased two at full price. Great until you try to use on HD. Will. Not work on HD but other wise great. I will purchase another for 96 year old father in law

dmpower

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dmpower
jiggersgreen wrote:This looks really uncomfortable to wear.

I use this type when I go to the theater. Yes, after a short time the weight of receiver pulls on the ear buds and it can become uncomfortable. If you will be using them in bed, not so much because they won't be hanging freely from your ears.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

We have some answers to your questions directly from Sennheiser:

Plasma TV: Some Plasma TV Sets can interfere with infrared transmission signal. This will vary between different TV sets. Best solution would be to locate the transmitter unit far away from screen and above for best result. Otherwise it would be best to use a different system which uses radio frequency.

TV Speakers: In most cases the TV sound and sound through headphones will be independent. However, if the TV out put signal level, volume, is controlled by the TV volume, ( Variable output) the TV will need to be turned up in volume to send a good signal to headphones. It is important to know this is not a function of the headphones but of the TV and will vary from model to model.

VS other headphones: The SET100-J is designed for those with moderate hearing loss and greatly enhances not only volume but also dialog of a program making it easier for the user to understand what is being said, on top of providing improved audio. Where as the typical wireless headphone will only amplify volume with no separation.

Hope that helps.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

sneefy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sneefy

Wow. Were these made in the mid 90's, or what?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
sneefy wrote:Wow. Were these made in the mid 90's, or what?

Now, now, the polite term is "retro".

I'm just hanging out, really.

davemartel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davemartel

I might have missed it, but how do these charge? The TV Ears headphones sit right in the transmitter and get charged that way. Do these do the same?
Thanks.

jeffd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffd

Say away from this one. Like the similar TV Ears, this is very uncomfortable for men. The lower electronics module hangs against the adams apple and is very annoying. In addition it uses IR technology which depends on line of sight and subject to more interference and movement issues. Get a Bluetooth or RF version, much better.

hals

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hals

The worst thing about these earphones is that they use a non standard battery and the charger is on the transmitter.
You have to get out of bed and put the phones in the charger when done as opposed to using rechargeable AA or AAA cells that you can swap when needed.

This really defeats the purpose of using them in bed.

Hal Scheie

viciousspike

quality posts: 2 Private Messages viciousspike

But why are they so ugly?
(Are they being ironic?)

mrecksx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrecksx

We have these where I work. They sound awful, they are typically sold as a Hearing Assisted device. When we contacted Sennheiser to ask about the sound quality issues, they told us it didn't matter because Hearing Impaired people can't hear very well anyway. Ouch!

Daddyofnine

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Daddyofnine
chippedliver wrote:Potential buyers really need to read this info: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/serviceandsupport_faqs_tv-listening. It seems the these IR units have trouble with plasma screens, LCD HD TVs, and fluorescent lights.

Ty for this info I almost ordered 3 pair so I'd have for each room. But all my TVs are LCD n these wouldn't have worked. Ty very much.

dcfunke

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dcfunke

I use the Astro Gaming Wireless Mixamp 5.8. The transmitter plugs into the optical out on my TV, so it receives sound from any source going into the TV, even non-digital RCA connections. The receiver can use any pair of headphones, and does decent simulated surround out of 2 channels. The transmitter can connect to several receivers (we use 2).

The Astro solution is transmits RF I believe - I've never had any interference problems with it. No issue with my 60'' LCD LED TV. Also, it has plenty of space to hook up accessories to allow Xbox 360 and PS3 chat headsets. I don't use it for that, though - just watching TV, movies, or playing single player games from any of my game systems.

It is difficult to find, though. I got it from www.astrogaming.com last year, the transmitter and receiver only (it works with any headphones you have lying around)- now I think they only bundle it with high-end headsets, but I may be wrong.

david223

quality posts: 2 Private Messages david223
kbeckerphx wrote:Any comments on how these compare to the TV Ears of song & story? My audiologist speaks highly of TV Ears, and even uses them herself, but there's quite a price difference.

I can't comment on this product. But, I've been using TV Ears for over three years now and love it. I worked in construction for 40 years and as a result my hearing is not great. On TV ears, you connect it directly to the back of the television, not the cable box. There is more than one model of TV ears so if you decide on that product be sure you buy by the right one.

therealjrn

david223 wrote:I can't comment on this product. But, I've been using TV Ears for over three years now and love it. I worked in construction for 40 years and as a result my hearing is not great. On TV ears, you connect it directly to the back of the television, not the cable box. There is more than one model of TV ears so if you decide on that product be sure you buy by the right one.

So...which one is the right one dad? Thanks for the advice but we seem to be missing a key piece of information here.

Happy 10th Woot!

david223

quality posts: 2 Private Messages david223
therealjrn wrote:So...which one is the right one dad? Thanks for the advice but we seem to be missing a key piece of information here.

Don't call me dad, call me Gramps. If you are talking about TV ears, you go to their website and read. There are three models of TV ears. Go to their website and read sonny boy.