Poll: Your preferred apocalypse:
  • 39.2% - Zombies 973
  • 29.1% - Meteor/Comet/Asteroid strike 724
  • 4.5% - Plague of the non-zombie variety 113
  • 15.3% - Aliens 381
  • 4.8% - Nuclear war 120
  • 7% - Killer robots 174
2485 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

Something painless, where I would die in my sleep

SirBalan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SirBalan

If you are unsure as to why Meteor/Comet/Asteroid is by far the superior answer, this should clear up any doubts:
http://www.cracked.com/video_18213_which-apocalypse-would-be-most-fun.html

SumDuud

quality posts: 22 Private Messages SumDuud

Zombies are all the rage right now, but really the thought of watching those I love and care about turn into a zombie and come after me, makes me sick to think about. I'll take something instant and painless.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

myfester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages myfester

Wow! You know...this is actually the most thought provoking question I've ever answered on Woot! I'm mentally going thru each scenario and I still don't know which is the most preferable. I'm going to be distracted the rest of the day now trying to find my answer. Thanks Woot!! :p

myfester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages myfester
SirBalan wrote:If you are unsure as to why Meteor/Comet/Asteroid is by far the superior answer, this should clear up any doubts:
http://www.cracked.com/video_18213_which-apocalypse-would-be-most-fun.html

Hmmm, thank you..quite helpful. I think I have made my decision.

michael2255

quality posts: 5 Private Messages michael2255

Toss up between zombies and plague for the sheer, lingering terror. Could make a TV show called, um, Survivor?

roy1138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roy1138

I’m upset daikaiju wasn't an option.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

An apocalypse, translated literally from Greek, is a disclosure of knowledge, hidden from humanity in an era dominated by falsehood and misconception, i.e., a lifting of the veil or revelation.
In such a case, an alien apocalypse could be a best case scenario, where the knowledge of the universe is revealed to us. Mankind may not be attacked as in V, but rescued and given cures to all our problems.

mikeofla

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikeofla

I want Aliens. First off, it shows that we are not alone in the universe. Secondly, we get to see AWESOME space ships and weapons. And thirdly, we might beat them with a glass of water, common cold, computer virus or a load lifter and if/when we do, we get to reverse engineer that stuff.

bfcnet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bfcnet

I'd prefer to be turned to ash in an instant. All the others involve way too much survival.

sephcm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sephcm

I picked aliens. I've seen all the movies and I'm pretty sure I can save the world.

jmtadena

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmtadena

I picked meteor because if i believe everyone's going to died better to be quick and painless... but I like the fun in surviving against Zombies or Robots.

nericen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nericen

No religious or solar mass ejection apocalypse?

btpaschke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages btpaschke

oh come on, you know that you're far more likely to be zombie 32422 than a zombie hunter.

SumDuud wrote:Zombies are all the rage right now, but really the thought of watching those I love and care about turn into a zombie and come after me, makes me sick to think about. I'll take something instant and painless.

michaelbc45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michaelbc45

Look, I know that the inevitable outcome of a zombie outbreak would be my loved ones and me turning into mindless, flesh-eating monsters... But think about it. Until that point, while you're pumping round after round into the sea of undead around you, wouldn't you be enjoying yourself more than you ever have in this lifetime? Yep. I think ya would.

klstrader

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klstrader

With zombies, it totally depends on the type of zombies we're talking about here... Slow, stupid Night of the Living Dead zombies, or crazy fast, somewhat intelligent 28 Days Later zombies? Or even the Left 4 Dead zombies, where there are different types like hunters and boomers, or the tanks.

And if you act like you wouldn't be absolutely terrified of zombies in real life, regardless of type, then you're lying to us and yourself.

Every one of these scenarios would be overwhelmingly violent, so it's hard to say for me. I guess if I got lucky enough to be at ground zero in a nuclear blast, I would have to pick nuclear war as least likely to hurt. Same with the asteroid, really. Unless, of course, Bruce Willis got his drilling team together and took care of it for us.

Sorry for this ridiculously long response. Just bored at work...

marion14505

quality posts: 1 Private Messages marion14505

Nuclear war is the only real option because it offers the greatest chance of survival.

Comet/asteroid = mass deaths, planetary-wide climate change, no sunlight (no plants, no plant eaters, no eaters of plant eaters) and millions of years before recovery really kicks in.

Zombies, of any time, is a certain death knoll, because ammunition eventually runs out and everyone will make a stupid mistake, get bitten, and become a zombie. That's why there's so many zombie movie sequels.

Aliens will simply not be friendly. They will be looking for resources and we will be in the way and eliminated through some magic-like technology that renders us vapor instantly, across the entire planet simultaneously.

Any other plague is maybe survivable, but if it's a plague we haven't seen yet, then it's likely to be very drug resistant. And the only people who will be immune are the oligarchical political leaders that hide in bunkers until it's over, and I don't want to be around when they emerge.

So the only real survivable option is nuclear war. Modern nuclear weapons are quite efficient and deliver most of their damage as heat and shock waves, rather than radiation and eventual nuclear fallout. I live in the country so am unlikely to be a direct target. Less mass extinctions than with an asteroid strike, and the oceans are likely to be mostly unchanged except for radioactive runoff.

All in all, I think Nuclear Armageddon offers the greatest chance of survival for the greatest number of people, leaving the greatest amount of human infrastructure and planetary species intact.

k4th3r1n3

quality posts: 17 Private Messages k4th3r1n3

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my share of zombie based media throughout my life, but I'm so sick of the raging zombie trend that I'd choose anything else as an end at this point. Zombies would be THE most uninteresting apocalypse to me now, even more than a doily plague, or a rapture at a spelling bee, or something else boring mixed with armageddon, etc. Thanks for ruining the end of the world for me, you weirdass bandwagon-ers.

moose123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moose123

Nova.

v3xed

quality posts: 1 Private Messages v3xed
marion14505 wrote:Nuclear war is the only real option because it offers the greatest chance of survival.....

+1

Zombies is almost guaranteed (and excruciatingly painful) assured destruction.

[update]
Second choice would defiantly be killer robots though. I could dig being part of the resistance movement!

ug1uk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ug1uk

Definatly not zombies because you never actually die and are stuck in pain and misery being a zombie. Nuclear war might make you mutated same with aliens.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

I don't know if you would call it a preference, but I dream about alien invasion fairly regularly. At least a few times a month since I was a kid.

I used to dream frequently about airplanes crashing into large buildings, but those stopped after 9-11. I'm not claiming precognition, but it does make me kinda nervous about those damn aliens.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

The W00tPocalypse, Silly!!!