2%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

The Tim

quality posts: 31 Private Messages The Tim

The receiver by itself (i.e. no speakers) is priced at ~$240 and has 61 reviews and an average of only 3.5 stars at the mothership.

[edit]
Ooh, I just noticed that it doesn't have any component inputs. Not a huge deal, but it does mean you'll still need an additional switcher if you've got more than one component source, such as a Wii and a PS2...

bsmith1

quality posts: 104 Private Messages bsmith1

Does it come with speaker wire? If so, what are the lengths?

bsmith1

chrisiturrioz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisiturrioz

if this is available in the tomorrow morning then this will be in my possession

bsmith1

chrisiturrioz wrote:if this is available in the tomorrow morning then this will be in my possession

Agreed. I have to get wife's permission first and she's a sleepy head right now. Best not wake her from her slumber just to ask about buying surround sound for the man cave.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bsmith1 wrote:Does it come with speaker wire? If so, what are the lengths?

I'm gonna say probably not.

Update: I sit corrected:

brianpan90 wrote:yes it does. it comes with 2 10ft (front) and 2 20ft (rear) and also a subwoofer cable thats about 10ft. those are an estimate based on how big my room is but should be pretty close to actual lengths

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

chrisiturrioz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisiturrioz

I'm not the audiophile, but is this a good system for the price ?

brianpan90

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brianpan90
chrisiturrioz wrote:I'm not the audiophile, but is this a good system for the price ?

I got this system refurbished about a year ago and it is an awesome system for the money. Comparable if not better than similar bose 5.1 systems. subwoofer is powerful and speakers sound great. you will not be disappointed

brianpan90

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brianpan90
ThunderThighs wrote:I'm gonna say probably not.

yes it does. it comes with 2 10ft (front) and 2 20ft (rear) and also a subwoofer cable thats about 10ft. those are an estimate based on how big my room is but should be pretty close to actual lengths

ThunderThighs

Staff

brianpan90 wrote:yes it does. it comes with 2 10ft (front) and 2 20ft (rear) and also a subwoofer cable thats about 10ft. those are an estimate based on how big my room is but should be pretty close to actual lengths

Oooh, thanks!

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

WootKip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WootKip

For the price it's a better Woot than some. If you want really good sound keep looking.

heat1583

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heat1583

Do the satellite speakers run without having to run wire? Like wireless speakers?

L2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L2
heat1583 wrote:Do the satellite speakers run without having to run wire? Like wireless speakers?

no they are not wireless.

Perception Management.

heat1583

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heat1583
L2 wrote:no they are not wireless.

What does it mean by sattelite?

ThunderThighs

Staff

heat1583 wrote:What does it mean by sattelite?

I found this definition:

Satellite speakers: Speakers used in surround-sound systems that are intended to be placed around a center channel speaker, as a part of a technique to recreate "three-dimensional" immersive sound; they tend to be smaller than the center speaker, and often contain audio to the left, right, and behind of the center channel.

You'll use two of them as the Front L/R and two for the Rear-Surround L/R:

FORUM MODERATOR

jdpman

quality posts: 16 Private Messages jdpman
heat1583 wrote:What does it mean by sattelite?

Satellite speakers simply refers to the smaller form factor of speakers used in a home theater setup. They supply the mid/high frequencies but due to their size, it's pretty much required you use a subwoofer with them. There are other form factors that can be used in a home theater setup; for example bookshelf or floorstanding speakers, which are larger and usually have woofers built into them. Those are able to supply some of the low frequencies themselves, but take up more space in a room.

So it's just what fits your room and personal tastes. Satellites are popular because they don't take up much space, but they're designed to work with a matching subwoofer. Like the one supplied in this sytem.

bradenmcg

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bradenmcg
jdpman wrote:Satellite speakers simply refers to the smaller form factor of speakers used in a home theater setup. They supply the mid/high frequencies but due to their size, it's pretty much required you use a subwoofer with them. There are other form factors that can be used in a home theater setup; for example bookshelf or floorstanding speakers, which are larger and usually have woofers built into them. Those are able to supply some of the low frequencies themselves, but take up more space in a room.

So it's just what fits your room and personal tastes. Satellites are popular because they don't take up much space, but they're designed to work with a matching subwoofer. Like the one supplied in this sytem.

Actually, most home theater enthusiasts are referring specifically to the "surround" speakers when they say "satellite." In many systems, they are the smallest ones, and they are above and to the side or behind the listener, like a satellite.

In this set, the front L/R just happen to be the same size/model of speaker as the satellites... but obviously not always the case.

syninthecity

quality posts: 10 Private Messages syninthecity

damn you woot. this is exactly and precisely what i need, at a price i could live with..... if i weren't broke from christmas. DAMN YOU WOOT!

ah well, maybe it'll be back for a woot off. please please bring it back for a woot off....in like a month.

dericklebron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dericklebron

How will this work with the Panasonic home theatre system that I bought a month ago for viewing netflix? If one surround sound system is good, isn't two better?

TheRaven

quality posts: 10 Private Messages TheRaven
bradenmcg wrote:Actually, most home theater enthusiasts are referring specifically to the "surround" speakers when they say "satellite." In many systems, they are the smallest ones, and they are above and to the side or behind the listener, like a satellite.

In this set, the front L/R just happen to be the same size/model of speaker as the satellites... but obviously not always the case.

Absolutely correct! My left and right channel speakers are MUCH larger than my Center channel. The center channel has 2 8" woofers and a high frequency horn located between the two woofers.

Left/Right speakers pack a horn tweeter and a horn mid-range and a 15" woofer!

Even my surrounds pack two high-frequency horns angled to the sides and a front facing 6.5" woofer.

This is a good price for a low to mid-range setup or for a small space. If you have a large space or want something more towards audiophile quality, you'll have to look elsewhere.

The big plus's here are price and you get everything you need in one easy to install package. You don't have to hunt around to create your matched speaker set.

Enjoy!

avvid

quality posts: 1 Private Messages avvid

I paid $600 +tax 2 years ago at the best buy black friday sale. The package is a good set. Speakers and sub both sound good, and the receiver has plenty of input/outputs. I use it to watch TV and occasional movies, and I love it.

Must buy if you are in the market.

schalkrm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages schalkrm

I think these are a great set for the first time surround sound user. If you don't currently have a surround sound system hooked up to your flat screen tv, this is the unit for you. The receiver will also give you plenty of room to hook up extras like a ps3 and blue ray player to your tv without having to run a hdmi cable to each port on your tv. Obviously there are better systems out there but this will def get you started.

mikeypeavy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikeypeavy

for some reason, when I first looked at the receiver in the picture, I thought "Why does it have a VHS player"

Did anyone else think that, or am I just too tired to wake up yet?

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
chrisiturrioz wrote:I'm not the audiophile, but is this a good system for the price ?

If this is your price point, you will not find any better. Trust me I call out Woot all the time when they have crappy pricing.

drakar2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages drakar2007

So there's one thing I still can't tell after taking a quick read through the thread & the amazon page: does this receiver have HDMI upconversion or just pass-through? I think my terminology is right, but if I'm off-base, what I'm getting after is: can I plug this thing into my TV via just the one HDMI cable, and have it send in signal from my other, non-hdmi inputs?

fst3000gt_vr4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fst3000gt_vr4
mikeypeavy wrote:for some reason, when I first looked at the receiver in the picture, I thought "Why does it have a VHS player"

Did anyone else think that, or am I just too tired to wake up yet?

I did the exact same thing, lol.

cruises44

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruises44

You are a smart man..

bsmith1 wrote:Agreed. I have to get wife's permission first and she's a sleepy head right now. Best not wake her from her slumber just to ask about buying surround sound for the man cave.

aggiechick

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aggiechick
drakar2007 wrote:So there's one thing I still can't tell after taking a quick read through the thread & the amazon page: does this receiver have HDMI upconversion or just pass-through? I think my terminology is right, but if I'm off-base, what I'm getting after is: can I plug this thing into my TV via just the one HDMI cable, and have it send in signal from my other, non-hdmi inputs?

Per the manual, HDMI signals cannot be converted into analog signals, and analog signals cannot be converted to HDMI. So, you need two separate connections to your TV.

chrwei

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrwei

is the screen overlay useful enough that I can have the receiver hidden as long as I have a way to get IR signals to it?

like, does it show volume, input source, etc?

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
ThunderThighs wrote:Oooh, thanks!

Why did my comment get pulled regarding the wire? I mean seriously, is the fact that there is wire or not going to make or break someone purchasing this? Maybe I'm just insensitive, but at least I'm good at something.

aggiechick

I wish Woot allowed us to just swing by and pick up our orders if we live in the Dallas area. It would be great to give my dad his gift on Christmas! (...and to actually have my Mayan shirt to wear today, which still hasn't shipped.)

moreyos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moreyos

When it says 3D ready, does that mean it has 3D passthrough? Might be the same things but I wouldn't know this kinda stuff. Got a nice projector that needs some surround sound.

aggiechick

moreyos wrote:When it says 3D ready, does that mean it has 3D passthrough? Might be the same things but I wouldn't know this kinda stuff. Got a nice projector that needs some surround sound.

Yes. If you have your 3D capable Blu-ray hooked up to the receiver, which is then hooked up to your TV, you will be able to watch your 3D movies.

lsward

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lsward

I don't see 3.5 jack mentioned in the Specs. So what kind of connection is this referencing "With the front-side stereo mini jack, the AVR-1312 supports audio playback from any portable audio player"? Is a stereo mini jack=3.5?

bsmith1

Well, the wife vetoed this item, so none for me. Hope she knows I'll be playing vidja games in the living room until I have surround sound in the man cave...

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

For some reason woot doesn't show the remote, so I tracked down a pic (just curious, I guess )

------------------
I Bet on Sky

silverphonics

quality posts: 2 Private Messages silverphonics

This is a great deal! Boston speakers are great in my opinion, clean and clear sound from a tiny package. Pretty tough to find a Denon receiver for under 200.00. As for the remote, their high end receivers come with awesome remotes, but this one would be tossed into a drawer and I'd program this into my Harmony.

guppeeh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages guppeeh

My take on this: the 5.1 BA speakers with powered sub is worth at least $150. They are not highpowered but will beat most 5.1 setups out there. That means you are getting a refurbished name-brand 5.1 receiver with 3D passthru for $100. You are also getting a 1year Denon warranty.

In summary, not a must-buy but a very good deal, esp if you need good 5.1 after buying a new TV.

masedogg5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages masedogg5

Do you think the extended warranty is a must?

It's a refurb... does this concern anyone?

Some reviews on amazon say it dies