WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Defender Security

Look, we can spend all day trying to figure out how you can stop making so many enemies or we can do the sensible thing and get you a security system to monitor your home and prevent them from getting to you. Which is the SMART decision?
Defender official site

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Gatzby wrote:FINALLY! A home security system that reminds us of Johnny 5! What could be more secure?

I'm more for a system that looks like EVE from WALL-E, because she seemed pretty tough... what about you?

I'm just hanging out, really.

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

I can't see the word Defender without thinging of, well, Defender!

------------------
I Bet on Sky

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
miken927 wrote:I can't see the word Defender without thinging of, well, Defender!

Lost so many hours to that game!

I'm just hanging out, really.

d34dfish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages d34dfish

Do the covert cameras record sound?
I love both options, but I want/need sound.

baalzebuth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages baalzebuth

what is the resolution on those CCD cameras? 1/3, 1/2?

rmacey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmacey

How hard is this to install? Specifically, I'm concerned about running 4 to 8 wires all through my house to the DVR.

HannsG 19" 8ms LCD Monitor * Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Moon Phase Watch * InFocus IN72 Home Entertainment DLP Projector * BellSouth 2 Way Wristwatch Communicator * Magellan eXplorist 300 Handheld GPS Navigator * SanDisk 256 MB MP3/WMA Player with FM Tuner and Voice Recorder * Cobra 6 Mile FRS/GMRS Radio with NOAA Weather

pinchecat

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pinchecat

this has really lousy reviews (and what appears to be a fake review left by some kind of company stakeholder) on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Defender-ST300-SD-Functional-Security-Surveillance/dp/B003Y73Q5M

cengland0

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cengland0
baalzebuth wrote:what is the resolution on those CCD cameras? 1/3, 1/2?

I was unable to find the resolution spec but I have a lot of experience using different branded CCD cameras for my security system. Most of the cheap ones like these do 400-420 lines of resolution. That's less than the VGA resolution of 640 x 480. You pay a lot extra for cameras that can do up to 520 lines of resolution and those boast about their resolution. So by reading reviews and an educated guess, I would expect this model to have 420 vertical lines of resolution output.

isnoop

quality posts: 9 Private Messages isnoop

Stephanie, no disassemble!

tesla33

quality posts: 57 Private Messages tesla33

There is an older, one channel version of the driveway alert system that you can still sometimes find in bargain bins. It is supposed to use C cells, but will happily work on AA batteries (same length as C's) and that includes rechargeables. If you want to spend less than half as much and only need one unit, check around. I assume this one will also work with rechargeable batteries, but don't know that for a fact.