Staff

Poll: Do you have a calculator?
  • 19.3% - Yes, a no-frills pocket one. 290
  • 27.4% - Yes, a graphing one. 411
  • 31.4% - No, I use my phone. 472
  • 14.7% - No, I use the one on my computer. 220
  • 7.2% - No, I’m so good at math that I don’t need one. 108
1501 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov

Just here to say "blah, blah, blah, abacus; blah, blah, slide-rule, blah, blah" before someone else does.

Harui

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Harui

No, neither my work nor my hobbies require one.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov

Does one of these count?

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches

I actually have an adding machine. I'm a bookkeeper.

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

mrtbshaw

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrtbshaw

My calculator could take yours head to head. My calculator takes all the hassle out of my flight planning. It factors numerous variables that I have to plan before flight. #Awesome http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/17504?utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=none&gclid=CPnKuZqLpLQCMistletoeoPAodxF4A7w

“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”
― Leonardo da Vinci

jdcamp

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jdcamp

No all of the above option? Gotta have the right calculator for the occasion and it's always fun to teach the kids to calculate in their heads and watch their little brains implode.

oclafretep

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oclafretep

The old HP. Useful for calculating things like...yawn...loan payments...

StikyPaws312

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StikyPaws312

So... I'm an engineer therefor I HAVE to have a graphing calculator, as well as a no-frills one for those evil professors. BUT, I'm so sick of using them through college and the effort of opening my desk drawer is just too much on some days that I go for the mouse click (Computer calc) or the simple ease over and grab the phone calculator.

1st World problem: too many calculators, I waste precious moments deciding which calculator is easier to grab.

SGRman05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SGRman05

I still have a graphing calculator and a couple of other cheaper calculators laying around, though I never use them anymore.
If I'm at my desk, I use the calculator on my computer (or google, depending on what I'm trying to do); otherwise, I just use the stock calculator on my phone, but I also downloaded a scientific calculator for my phone as well...

Adelas

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Adelas

Missing the "multiple" option. I have a graphing calculator just in case, a scientific calculator with stickers in it from high school that I just can't seem to let go of, and a big-button one for when my computer is off, because I basically only use the one in Windows.

friartek

quality posts: 15 Private Messages friartek

If there was Non of the above I would have voted and then told you what I have. The problem I have is you said calculator, not calculator application which I have many and do use from time to time. My calculator doesn't match either of the 2 options you offered.

tolerance: a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.
BOC: 4 Including the very last Woot!-off B)C. One of the lucky few.

BradyChan7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BradyChan7

I own a graphing, but honestly all I use these days is either Google or WolframAlpha.com.

tfrailie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tfrailie

Calculator watch.

Casper42

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Casper42

Why do I have to pick one answer.
I have a plain calculator but its rarely used
I have a graphing calculator I used when I went back to school
I often use my phone
I often use my computer

dkm1new

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dkm1new

At work I administer a 64 core processor with 1TB RAM attached to a 100TB Fibre Channel SAN and multiple SQL Server 2012 Enterprise instances installed - into one of which I enter -

SELECT (my formula)

and it pretty much does anything I put in there. Except make breakfast. And girlie things. But we're working on that.

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100
oclafretep wrote:The old HP. Useful for calculating things like...yawn...loan payments...

RPN? Ugh ... As a former computer programmer, I fully understand the concept but I still don't see its advantages over algebraic entry. I'd much rather deal with parentheses than the awkwardness of RPN.

sdc100

Sliderule?

sdc100

My grandfather was so skilled doing basic arithmetic on the abacus that he can beat most accountants using a calculator .