billa9b0ng

quality posts: 1 Private Messages billa9b0ng

I got the 16gb version w/ dock a few weeks ago when it was on Woot. This is my first android tablet but I have been an android phone user for a few years. I like the device and OS but I have to say that I am a little disappointed with the browser speed/performance so far. I got this as a replacement for my laptop which was primarily used for internet browsing. There isn't a session that goes by when I don't get the dreaded "wait or force close." Other times the page doesn't load quickly or it is unresponsive when I click.

I realize that a google search will return lots of solutions and I am starting to explore those. I just found it odd that it didn't meet my not so high standards. Has anyone else experienced the same>

resalter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages resalter
billa9b0ng wrote:I got the 16gb version w/ dock a few weeks ago when it was on Woot. This is my first android tablet but I have been an android phone user for a few years. I like the device and OS but I have to say that I am a little disappointed with the browser speed/performance so far. I got this as a replacement for my laptop which was primarily used for internet browsing. There isn't a session that goes by when I don't get the dreaded "wait or force close." Other times the page doesn't load quickly or it is unresponsive when I click.

I realize that a google search will return lots of solutions and I am starting to explore those. I just found it odd that it didn't meet my not so high standards. Has anyone else experienced the same>

Yes, the pre-installed browser sucks. I was going to install Firefox's mobile browser (because I really like their desktop browser), but the permissions! Really, why does Firefox need to see everything my camera sees? I was looking at Chrome, since it is Google and the OS on the tablet is Google. They pretty much already have all my info anyway and access to anything they want on my tablet...

meh3884

quality posts: 25 Private Messages meh3884

MOD: No expedited shipping is available on these...are these shipping something faster than smart post for holiday arrival? Like UPS Ground maybe?

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

everlore

quality posts: 3 Private Messages everlore

Wow. This is actually a pretty cool.

I have a TF101. I didn't like the keyboard, but I use the tablet all the time. Love it.

e

morriea

quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea
billa9b0ng wrote:I got the 16gb version w/ dock a few weeks ago when it was on Woot. This is my first android tablet but I have been an android phone user for a few years. I like the device and OS but I have to say that I am a little disappointed with the browser speed/performance so far. I got this as a replacement for my laptop which was primarily used for internet browsing. There isn't a session that goes by when I don't get the dreaded "wait or force close." Other times the page doesn't load quickly or it is unresponsive when I click.

Chrome. It is one of the 1st things that you should install.

jgiannon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgiannon
morriea wrote:Chrome. It is one of the 1st things that you should install.

Is chrome useable? My fear is that the browser is unuseable as is the case with my Viewsonic GTablet bought from woot last year, and that has been rooted to ICS.

I would assume the browser should be as fast as an IPAD if it isn't this is useless.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
ThunderThighs wrote:It's not exactly obvious so here are your choices:

32GB with Mobile Dock
32GB without Mobile Dock
16GB without Mobile Dock

Thanks for that, but wondering for this like other deals, do the web ops folks have too much or too little time on their hands with the silly multiple drop-downs when there are 4 or fewer choices?

Why make woot customers flip thru all the choices in order to simply see the prices rather than listing the 3 or 4 choices out in the open?

Same amount of screen space + more transparency + time savings X number of potential customers not having to click away...

Customer sees, clicks check box for selection and orders button...

billa9b0ng

quality posts: 1 Private Messages billa9b0ng

I will try Chrome tonight. Some of the posts I read elsewhere said that the stock browser was the way to go. Originally I had installed Firefox and started using that right away, when I was unhappy I restored to factory defaults and have since been using stock browser only. FF was worse than the original. (and I love FF)

morriea

jgiannon wrote:Is chrome useable? My fear is that the browser is unuseable as is the case with my Viewsonic GTablet bought from woot last year, and that has been rooted to ICS.

I would assume the browser should be as fast as an IPAD if it isn't this is useless.

You do know you can simply uninstall it if you do not like it, right? I have no idea how how it will perform on a Viewsonic, but the TF300T is a much higher end device and it works like a dream. It also syncs across my devices. Chrome is on my PC, laptop, tablet, and phone.

jgiannon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgiannon
morriea wrote:You do know you can simply uninstall it if you do not like it, right? I have no idea how how it will perform on a Viewsonic, but the TF300T is a much higher end device and it works like a dream. It also syncs across my devices. Chrome is on my PC, laptop, tablet, and phone.

I am not asking about the GTAB, I am asking about the ASUS and whether browsing actually functions on the device. There are alot if issues with slow browsing on the ASUS already, google it. I am wondering from real workd experience if it works.

edit: looking at videos online the browser is had and shoulders above the gtab.

Also, to the guy that bought new from Gamestop, for me its $45 more expensive than woot cause of tax.

landbgarza

quality posts: 0 Private Messages landbgarza
Zavelin wrote:ATTENTION TO THOSE WHO WISH TO ROOT THEIR TABLET:

DO NOT UPDATE THE TABLET UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE ROOTED!

Not a big deal for everyone, but for those who enjoy the benefits of rooted/jailbroken devices, I repeat: do not install the OTA (Over The Air) Jellybean update until you have rooted your tablet.

Once your tablet has connected to the internet, the Jellybean update will download, and you will be prompted to install it.

Unfortunately, the Android rooting community has been unable to find a way to root the TF300 without voiding the warranty, once Jellybean has already been installed. In order to root after the update has already been downloaded, you must use ASUS "Unlock Device" app. Once you agree to the terms of the agreement, ASUS will automatically receive the credentials (serial number, etc.) of your tablet or device. From then on, no matter what issue you have with the device (cracked screen, spontaneous combustion, etc.), ASUS will refuse to service the device at all.

However, if you root before updating to Jellybean, you can just reflash the device with the stock ROM, and you'll be good to go for warranty repairs and such.

I sense a class action suit against ASUS for these practices. They must prove that a modification caused the failure in order to deny the claim.

Never buy a car you cant push.

damorere

quality posts: 9 Private Messages damorere

I agree. I got the Thanksgiving TF300T and while I had to send the keyboard back to Asus (they were VERY responsive) am in love, but found that Chrome is light years ahead of the onboard browser. I have yet to have a wait/FC with it. Also, I have used it with a bluetooth keyboard while waiting for the dock to come back and found that it works very well that way, so if you are considering this sale, this is a great tablet which works well with BT keyboards. I used it at work when at a different desk from my computer and it was great for mail, browsing, (and keeping up with the woot off - don't tell). The screen is beautiful and it works well with Netflix, etc.

jetboy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jetboy

Looks like the dock option is sold out. FWIW you can get a NEW one at Sam's Club for $299 - they were selling new ones for $279 for a while.

k9ghost

quality posts: 0 Private Messages k9ghost
morriea wrote:It is automatic on this tablet. (update to 4.1 Jelly Bean))

If you have missed the sales on this tablet up to this point, try not to miss now. This is an excellent deal on a top flight tablet.

I got mine from the last woot sales (first) and it did not update. Kept saying no updates. Downloaded it, put the zip file in the root folder, booted it, and Viola.

Resetting the DMCLient and CMClient did not help me

lboban

quality posts: 12 Private Messages lboban
formerglorydesigns wrote:Already have an iPad 3 and Nexus 7 HSPA+…

OK, I'm in for one. Ordered, 32GB w/ dock. Let's see if this is better than the Nexus 7.

It depends on what you want it for. I have both - my Nexus 7 is my go-to tablet for around the house. But the Transformer is better for business just because of size - and the keyboard makes a huge difference. I take the transformer to meetings, I can type long emails comfortably. Both play video and surf the web beautifully.

This is a great deal!

meh3884

jetboy wrote:Looks like the dock option is sold out. FWIW you can get a NEW one at Sam's Club for $299 - they were selling new ones for $279 for a while.

16gb TF300 sells for $328 at Sam's Club and is sold out online. 16gb + keyboard dock for $378 is also sold out. Are you seeing one I'm not? Link?

yldeal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yldeal

I got this model back in the spring and I love it. Getting my husband one for Christmas...don't tell him.

lboban

Chrome worked well for me. Bought this table on Woot 3 weeks ago. I'm typing this message on it, using the Chrome browser.

I installed a bunch of different browsers to compare: Dolphin, Firefox, Skyefire. Just went back to Chrome.

w00teregrine

quality posts: 1 Private Messages w00teregrine

A few comments.
That Poetic case from Amazon for $20. I am glad the guy that bought it likes it but I am very leery of "cheap" cases. Shattered my wife's iPad because I bought a cheap crappy case. What has 2 thumbs, spends $500 on a device and then wraps it in a $20 case? THIS GUY! Dumb.
Buy a good case. Check out Caseen.com. (No affiliation, I don't even have one yet, but am getting one for Xmas I hope).
2nd: Dock breaking the glass. Hogwash. No way that thing puts enough pressure there to break the glass. For the first few weeks just be extra careful opening it until the hinge loosens a bit if you are really worried. I think any screen cracking dock issues are just caused by carelessness. Take care of your stuff.
Re: Chrome. Chrome auto installs with the JB update. If you don't like that, there are 10 other browsers you can try. It's Android.
Re: Viewing PDF's. Can't believe dude said "Android doesn't do PDF's as well" (paraphrase). Hogwash. There are a dozen PDF apps in the market including an Adobe one. PDF's work great on Android.
Re: Wanting the 32GB tablet instead of the 16. Personally, I would not spend the extra money. A 32GB card can be had for 20.00. 32 + 16 = 48. 48 = plenty for me.
But I suppose if you want 64 cheap. :D
I am a bit of an expert on tabs/phones as I support them at my job. Be happy to help with any questions, or any I missed.

lboban

VeeRay wrote:Owners of this tablet - do you think that it requires a sleeve for protection if one is going to travel with it? I ordered it with the dock, and am curious if that's enough / any protection.

If you think it does require a sleeve, any suggestions for one that fits the tablet + dock? Thanks!

I travel with the keyboard & tablet together, and haven't found a need for a case. But if you will use the tablet by itself, then a case is needed to protect the screen. Any generic sleeve that accommodates a 10 inch tablet will work. If you want an actual case, check Amazon - there are tons of them out there.

zebop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zebop
ThunderThighs wrote:It's not exactly obvious so here are your choices:

32GB with Mobile Dock
32GB without Mobile Dock
16GB without Mobile Dock

Site will not let me order with the Mobile dock??

Demonius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Demonius
zebop wrote:Site will not let me order with the Mobile dock??

They are sold out.

lboban

OK, one more comment then off to work.

If you get one of these, learn where the button is to turn off the trackpad. If you don't, when you are typing with the keyboard you will find the cursor jumping all over on the screen. Very annoying.

Hint: It's the fourth button from the left on the top row of keys.

k9ghost

quality posts: 0 Private Messages k9ghost

I am in the same boat, having purchased from the woot sales earlier.. I have indeed experienced the dreaded "wait or force close" popup. Chrome is what I shall be trying out later. Thanks

morriea

w00teregrine wrote:A few comments.
That Poetic case from Amazon for $20. I am glad the guy that bought it likes it but I am very leery of "cheap" cases. Shattered my wife's iPad because I bought a cheap crappy case. What has 2 thumbs, spends $500 on a device and then wraps it in a $20 case? THIS GUY! Dumb.
Buy a good case. Check out Caseen.com. (No affiliation, I don't even have one yet, but am getting one for Xmas I hope).
2nd: Dock breaking the glass. Hogwash. No way that thing puts enough pressure there to break the glass. For the first few weeks just be extra careful opening it until the hinge loosens a bit if you are really worried. I think any screen cracking dock issues are just caused by carelessness. Take care of your stuff.
Re: Chrome. Chrome auto installs with the JB update. If you don't like that, there are 10 other browsers you can try. It's Android.
Re: Viewing PDF's. Can't believe dude said "Android doesn't do PDF's as well" (paraphrase). Hogwash. There are a dozen PDF apps in the market including an Adobe one. PDF's work great on Android.
Re: Wanting the 32GB tablet instead of the 16. Personally, I would not spend the extra money. A 32GB card can be had for 20.00. 32 + 16 = 48. 48 = plenty for me.
I am a bit of an expert on tabs/phones as I support them at my job. Be happy to help with any questions, or any I missed.

Thank you...EVERY "Hogwash" is spot on. I also work on Android tablets and am driven crazy by the mis-information.

My only disagreement is on the case that is referenced...it is quite good. It will make a VERY thick package to carry when you have the dock, tablet, and both pieces of the case all together, but it does offer quite a bit of protection.

andriodamit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andriodamit

this is not a very good deal given the fact that brand new 32GB tf300 is available in gamestop in 300/- with 7 free games worth 20 dollars+

In my opinion saving of only 20 dollars for refurb one with only 3 mnths of warranty is not a good option

if u want to save shipping as well from gamestop, you can walkin as well

[MOD: Not available in stores. Shipping to me was $10.99.]

andriodamit

are you on jelly beans ?

jamainiac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamainiac
VeeRay wrote:Owners of this tablet - do you think that it requires a sleeve for protection if one is going to travel with it? I ordered it with the dock, and am curious if that's enough / any protection.

If you think it does require a sleeve, any suggestions for one that fits the tablet + dock? Thanks!

I've had mine for over a year (I LOVE IT). I bought it with keyboard wondering if I'd actually ever use it. I found I rarely use it without! And no need for a sleeve. I have the 101 so I'm not sure if the body of the 300 is much different? but the 101 is Rock Solid! I have 2 sleeves that I never use!

meh3884

andriodamit wrote:this is not a very good deal given the fact that brand new 32GB tf300 is available in gamestop in 300/- with 7 free games worth 20 dollars+

In my opinion saving of only 20 dollars for refurb one with only 3 mnths of warranty is not a good option

Actually that deal isn't for walk in/store pickup. I checked cause I was thinking about doing it. It is $399 in store. The $299 price is online only. For me, Gamestop's $15 shipping + $30 tax made this the better deal.

ibanezfoo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ibanezfoo

I've had one of these since they first came out. It pretty much sucks. Its SLOW. Pretty much anything you do you are presented with something like "browser not responding. Close? WAIT / OK"

Works pretty good as a fisbee though.

andriodamit

meh3884 wrote:Actually that deal isn't for walk in/store pickup. I checked cause I was thinking about doing it. It is $399 in store. The $299 price is online only. For me, Gamestop's $15 shipping + $30 tax made this the better deal.

well that is your choice, shipping is 10( 5 dollar more than woot) and tax is abt 19 only. ( you get free games to cover ur tax and shipping anyway)
and I just looked at website againp and it is available for pickup now, please check the website

if u do the math and also include one year warranty ( may be from square trade) then you will know the diff

meh3884

andriodamit wrote:well that is your choice, shipping is 10( 5 dollar more than woot) and tax is abt 19 only. ( you get free games to cover ur tax and shipping anyway)
and I just looked at website againp and it is available for pickup now, please check the website

if u do the math and also include one year warranty ( may be from square trade) then you will know the diff

No, I'm sorry, you need to look more closely. It gives you the option "In a hurry? Pickup@Store". But when you actually select a store to pick up from, it tells you the instore price is $399. Also shipping is $15 to guarantee xmas delivery.

Also, sales tax varies by state and county - here it is 9.5%, so hence the $30 tax and why I said "for me" in my comment.

verucht

quality posts: 1 Private Messages verucht

My tf101 is excellent but I'm really thinking about picking up one of these and putting the 101 on CL or ebay. Hmmm. I already have the 16gb micro SD card and a bluetooth keyboard...

100% Me, no filler

formerglorydesigns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages formerglorydesigns
w00teregrine wrote:A few comments.

I was the one who mentioned PDFs on Android. I don't think it's hogwash at all. After using several PDF programs on the Play store, I've come to the conclusion (along with many other Android owners) that PDF rendering & loading is slower than iOS. I've tried Repligo, Adobe, ezPDF, QuickOffice, etc., all no go. I've even tried optimizing my PDFs in Acrobat.

All my testing was done on my Nexus 7, which has the same innards as the TF300T.

I'd love to be able to read PDFs and textbooks at the same speed as iOS, and I'd gladly take suggestions on how to improve the experience on Android. Sorry if I'm getting off-topic.

jetboy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jetboy
meh3884 wrote:16gb TF300 sells for $328 at Sam's Club and is sold out online. 16gb + keyboard dock for $378 is also sold out. Are you seeing one I'm not? Link?

Just looked. They raised their prices - or just ended the discount. Last week they were $299 for a 16gb with free shipping. Two weeks ago they were $278 and free shipping.

andriodamit

meh3884 wrote:No, I'm sorry, you need to look more closely. It gives you the option "In a hurry? Pickup@Store". But when you actually select a store to pick up from, it tells you the instore price is $399. Also shipping is $15 to guarantee xmas delivery.

Also, sales tax varies by state and county - here it is 9.5%, so hence the $30 tax and why I said "for me" in my comment.

okay, I just called up my local store and it is available in store for 299 ( this week only)
NOTE->
and even it was a online deal ( like woot) i would have gone for it since my taxes are covered with free games and I am getting full one year warranty and brand new tablet + 7 free games ( more than 20+ dollars, please chek google play for game prices)

please do the math - you are spending more for refurb one if you want one year warranty

phoenx06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phoenx06
andriodamit wrote:this is not a very good deal given the fact that brand new 32GB tf300 is available in gamestop in 300/- with 7 free games worth 20 dollars+

The $300 at GameStop also doesn't give you the $150 keyboard dock. When they were available on here (I got one) the 32GB model with dock was only $320.

jmhughes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmhughes

BUYER BEWARE - I ordered this 11/21 with the dock - it arrived DOA. No charge, and no response to any attempt to charge - the tablet or the dock (And no I couldn't reset the the power cord block, as it was not the model that let you open the plastic block). I returned it with a supplied RMA. [unrelated to the product, Woot failed to correctly refund my money, giving me only a small percentage of the full payment and has now spent 3 days NOT replying to my multiple messages as to WHY?!]

J M Hughes

mikesmithfl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikesmithfl

Newegg is getting pretty slimy with their display ads. That one sure looked like it was supposed to come WITH the dock at that price. I just called Newegg CS and it DOESN'T come with - you have to get a DIFFERENT item, as you said.

sharsharu wrote:Look again, with the dock the price is $450. I got the TF300T with dock reburb when it came around Thanksgiving weekend. No complaints so far, but then again I bought it for a gift and haven't used everything on it.

puckbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages puckbert
Sorry, the Asus TF300 T-B1-BL Transformer 10.1" Tablet with Asus RT300T-DOCK-BL Mobile Keyboard Dock, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, NVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad-Core 1.2GHz, 1GB DDR3, 32GB SSD, GPS-enabled, 1280x800, 802.11n, 8MP Webcam - Blue (Refurbished) is sold out. Better luck next time.

wait, it's blue? are they all blue?