4%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

mikeypeavy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikeypeavy

I have this keyboard and it types really well and feels great. The problem is the control panel for the sound/media/backlight, as it has some sort of electrical short/malfunction and the backlight/control panel will occasionally not respond. Overall I really like the keyboard though.
I have not really tried to fix the issue, because I am too lazy to take it apart right now for something that trivial (to me), but I understand it is a common problem with these keyboards. On a side note, one of my roommates has had this keyboard for almost 5 years and has had 0 issues with it.

Here are some reviews from Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823114004

and CNET:
http://reviews.cnet.com/keyboards/razer-lycosa/4505-3134_7-32640959.html

lichme

quality posts: 3111 Private Messages lichme

doomtothee

quality posts: 48 Private Messages doomtothee

Here's a relatively helpful review.
He likes it.

[MOD: Embedded video]

Woot won't let me have a cool signature

cappo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages cappo

Why does this only show up when I can't buy it for some reason?

Someone made crazy charges with my card number, I'm stuck waiting for a new card.

mikeypeavy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikeypeavy
cappo wrote:Why does this only show up when I can't buy it for some reason?

Someone made crazy charges with my card number, I'm stuck waiting for a new card.

#paypal?

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Fair warning, I'm a keyboard aficionado, and extremely picky. That said, this Razer doesn't even begin to come close to being anything other than flash and fashion.

Save your money and get a good MECHANICAL switch based keyboard. Preferably a CherryMX switch based one. Razer does make some, if you really like Razer.

Your fingers and wrists will thank me, and your speed and accuracy will increase instantly.

If you just need a nightlight, this would suffice. ;-)

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

spacelunatic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages spacelunatic

Only blue lighting? ehh

cappo

mikeypeavy wrote:#paypal?

If it charged though Paypal, it would be marked on the charges. The bank didn't mention that.

Luckily since it tried to charge a bunch of stuff in like 3 different countries all within 10 minutes, plus most of the charges being more than the check card had on it, it flagged the account and everything was denied except for a donation to the Obama campaign.

cappo

spacelunatic wrote:Only blue lighting? ehh

That's my only complaint about this keyboard... that blue light is not eye-friendly.

I want to get another for when this one finally gives out, it's about 3 years old now.

harkael

quality posts: 2 Private Messages harkael

I got one of these from amazon a few years ago. While the initial experience was good (once I got past the troubled driver installation) the keyboard began to accumulate problems. The matte finish on certain keys began to wear away. This is very noticeable thanks to the lighting. Certain keys would register as being stuck in the down position (regardless of the actual position of the key) and at different times keys would not respond at all.

The touchpad controls are more a liability than anything else. The high sensitivity made for a lot of accidental activations.

Not a bad keyboard, but not reliable enough to support the "pro-gamer" image Razer loves to tout.

xiannow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xiannow

I bought this keyboard a couple of years ago from woot. Absolutely loved the backlit keys and the feel of the texture, but I had to unplug the keyboard in-game because the keys would freeze. I ended up selling it to a roommate for the forty bucks i bought it. Also, if you're a student and will be expecting to type a whole load, then good luck, the texture on the keys will rub off.
I've since purchased the Logitech illuminated keyboard and have zero complaints on it. Just a suggestion.

jeremyp123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jeremyp123

I bought one about a year ago and so far it has exceeded expectations. Mine was refurbished (so you may have different results) but every once in a while (once a month) a key will just drop out. Unplugging and replugging the keyboard seems to fix it.

The back lighting is a definite plus and can be turned on and off. However, don't rely on the control panel or Razer's software to do much for you.

It's certainly worth $40, but not a whole lot more.

dgbatchelor

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dgbatchelor

I've had mine for almost two years now and I can't say as I have any complaints. I'm not as picky as some about mechanical versus digital keyboards. I also didn't have any issues with the software. The keyboard itself has survived two drenchings with sweet tea and nary a problem after drying. The keys haven't worn as much as other say but it may be because I use a nostromo for gaming.

hcoots

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hcoots
cappo wrote:Why does this only show up when I can't buy it for some reason?

I wouldn't be too upset. I read all the reviews on various gaming sites, and still went ahead and bought one the last time they were offered. Within 3 weeks 2 of the keys stopped responding and another is so mushy it just as well be dead.

Wasn't worth the time, nor the money. Very disappointed, I always trusted the Razer name in the past.

hcoots

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hcoots

I read all the reviews on various gaming sites, and still went ahead and bought one the last time they were offered. Within 3 weeks 2 of the keys stopped responding and another is so mushy it just as well be dead.

Wasn't worth the time, nor the money. Very disappointed, I always trusted the Razer name in the past.

joefrazier4th

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joefrazier4th

I got one of these on woot a while back and i LOVE mine.

jokerfan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jokerfan
mikeypeavy wrote:I have this keyboard and it types really well and feels great. The problem is the control panel for the sound/media/backlight, as it has some sort of electrical short/malfunction and the backlight/control panel will occasionally not respond. Overall I really like the keyboard though.
I have not really tried to fix the issue, because I am too lazy to take it apart right now for something that trivial (to me), but I understand it is a common problem with these keyboards. On a side note, one of my roommates has had this keyboard for almost 5 years and has had 0 issues with it.

Here are some reviews from Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823114004

and CNET:
http://reviews.cnet.com/keyboards/razer-lycosa/4505-3134_7-32640959.html

had the same issue there is an update to the keyboard that can be downloaded for free from razor.com but after about 9 months some of the keys died on me and I had to toss it...same with some of their mouses I loved the Tron mouse then one day after 6 months it just went belly up

LOhateVE

quality posts: 5 Private Messages LOhateVE

pretty annoying keyboard, when it works its ok, the back light toggling is kind of annoying since you have the pointless WASD mode, Random keys also die and you need to unplug and replug it. Sometimes the signal gets stuck mid game so you find yourself walking in one direction without being able to stop until you unplug it.

sulcath

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sulcath

Important! This keyboard is in no way liquid-proof.
I may have to jump on this. Had one of these before, I may have spilled a crud load of soda on it. The timing of this is opportune.

robirds1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robirds1

worst keyboard i have ever owned (purchased from woot about 2 weeks ago)

WASD keys stick terribly (along with a few random others)

the num lock STAYS on.

the backlighting is painfully bright at night, and the keys are invisible during the day if you turn it off.

the 'usb port' is not a usb port, there is a double ended usb wire coming out of the keyboard ... so it uses 2 usb slots (nightmare for a laptop)

overall 3/10

kattotang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kattotang
cappo wrote:If it charged though Paypal, it would be marked on the charges. The bank didn't mention that.

Luckily since it tried to charge a bunch of stuff in like 3 different countries all within 10 minutes, plus most of the charges being more than the check card had on it, it flagged the account and everything was denied except for a donation to the Obama campaign.

I think they meant you could use Paypal for Woot purchases until your new card comes...

venom4hire

quality posts: 11 Private Messages venom4hire

Anyone know where or if I can order replacement keys for this. My little Darling (yes i use that term lightly) decided he was going to show daddy how to take them out. Then he "helped" daddy put it back together by hiding the "a" and "s"....errrr

Do I want an extended warranty? Why, I'm just going to void it anyway.

ChristinaTX

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ChristinaTX

I just bought one of these from Woot a few weeks ago. My keys were really stiff, and some of them even squeaked. The number pad worked fine, it was just the letters. I noticed the more I typed more dust seemed to come out of it.

I contacted Razer and they did exchange it for me but for a refurbished one. If I hadn't gotten this from Woot for a much lower price I would've put up a fight about that.

They didn't have me send back in my broken one. They asked me to cut the cord off and send them a picture of it. I have hopes the replacement one will work better (hasn't arrived yet). From the little I used it I can say it did make my wrists sore but I'm not sitting at a desk so my keyboard is on my lap a lot of on the arm of the couch.

alose

quality posts: 3 Private Messages alose

I bought a refurbed from woot a couple of years ago. It has been working great so far.

AdaDavis

quality posts: 2 Private Messages AdaDavis

I really liked the look and "finger feel" of mine, but like others have said, the keyboard can be glitchy. I had keys either freeze up or drop out. An unplug and replug usually cleared up the problem, but I got a bit tired of it, especially since I never knew how the backlighting would be set when I turned on the computer. It seemed to reset itself at random. I finally dumped the keyboard back in its box and bought a Logitech keyboard with backlit keys. 8 months, and the Logitech has not had a single problem, and seems content to leave the keyboard setting where I put them.

mhicks04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhicks04

I bought one of these about a year ago, worst keyboard I ever owned. I actually ended up making a video of me smashing it with a baseball bat, lol.

Some keys would randomly stop working, tried it on about 4 different computers. Same thing, after about 5 or 6 minutes all of a sudden, a group of keys wouldn't work. Tried a few different keyboard drivers with no change. Tried to perform the "Board Fix" at the control panel of the keyboard. Still had the same problem.

I paid good money last time around and vowed to never buy razor again.

Takaian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Takaian

I bought this keyboard once, just be warned that if you never really use gaming keyboards, the action of the keys is a little weird to get used to. I ended up trying to return it, only to find they only have a 15 day return policy instead of the standard 30. Just a heads up!

spazzychippy

quality posts: 6 Private Messages spazzychippy

I used this product for roughly two years. The matte finish on the keys wore off in a matter of months, the media and backlight keys never worked after the first few weeks no matter what i or razer support did, and a few of the key switches were completely worn out after the first year. Over all, i would not recommend this keyboard. Razer makes great mice, but their other peripherals suck. I bought a corsair vengeance mechanical gaming keyboard recently and am in love.

br0seidon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages br0seidon

DO NOT BUY THIS KEYBOARD.
I've gone through -four- of them in the past three years and every single one has had problems. Please, save your money!

eddietwang

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eddietwang

Darn, per my own rules, I'm not buying anything for myself between Dec 1st and Christmas. Hope this is back up at this price then!!

TemplarHunter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TemplarHunter

I bought this keyboard 2 years ago when the same deal went up (also on woot).I like the keyboard itself, quiet, pleasant to use, etc, but the problem that started was that several keys would stop working at random, and would be remedied by unplugging/replugging it back in. To stop this from happening at the worst times (say, during my ranked league of legends matches, if the effected keys happened to be any of the QWER), I had to open it up and go through the wiring sheets, gave them a cleaning and reseated the whole thing. No problems from it since.

syninthecity

quality posts: 10 Private Messages syninthecity

i can't recomend razer to anyone any more. i've had 3 keyboards and four mice, every one of them developed issues in less than a year, buttons stop registering, or double and triple register....the designs are great, but the quality just isn't there. for 40 bucks this isn't bad, just be aware that it's not a long term investment. (and no i don't keep buying them, they're just nice enough to die inside of microcenters warranty period)

saltybawls

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saltybawls

Check out Amazon.com reviews before you buy. There are more 1-star reviews (106) than 4-star or 5-star - not a good sign.

I almost jumped on this without researching, but BEWARE, very suspect reviews.

jdgarant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdgarant

I have owned two. One I bought December 2011. Feels and looks nice but there are issues with the keyboard where it just dies and becomes unresponsive. I have to unplug the USB cable and plug it back in.

After about 3 weeks of runaround with their support team where they had me cut the cables and send them a picture they finally sent me a replacement which looked new.

The new unit has the exact same issue.

If you don't mind unplugging the keyboard occasionally and having unresponsive controls for back lighting then this keyboard is for you. It feels great and looks great too.

Definitely not worth the price.

I told them the second one did the same thing and there was no response.

Agent019

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Agent019

I have had mine for a about a year or so. Bought it at BestBuy since I had some credits.

Felt great, but this is noisy so if you are gaming you gotta be aware.

If you aren't gaming, keys will often drop out and not register. I am looking for a new keyboard as I type and it will not be a razer.

yuppicide

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yuppicide

I will add my comments as well. I bought this keyboard the last time Woot had them a few weeks ago.

I was worried given a lot of bad reviews, but so far it's been good 99% of the time.

Some people reported it will sometimes set your volume at full blast. I've not had that happen.

Some people report the keyboard often stops responding and you have to pull USB out and plug back in. I've only had "something" happen once. In game I was stuck running forward.. I couldn't do anything but power off computer and back on.

I have not installed Razer software. I only wanted this keyboard because of lighting. No other features matter to me. Lighting works great. It has two settings.. well three... off, WASD only, or all keys. Only blue color. No big deal to me.

They keys take a little getting used to. They're as bit tighter pressing than others. The enter key and \ key on mine were kind of "stuck" when I got it.. but so far not that much of a bother. I never use \ anyway and that's the worst one.

So, if you have issues with this keyboard know that Razer will not help. They will say go back to where you bought it. Woot will gladly refund your money or exchange it if they have any left after the sale or if they get them in again.

rayjen02

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rayjen02

I have had mine for about 4 years now. I have had none of the problems listed above. My only complaint is the low contrast lettering which makes the lettering invisible in certain lighting, especially if the sun shines on the keys. This is solved every time by adjusting my analog blinds.

dashdancedan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dashdancedan

"Keys would appear to become ‘stuck’ and repeat for no apparent reason, or the complete opposite, keys would not repeat at all if you held them down."

Common reported problem when purchasing this keyboard. I have it, and when this happens I have to unplug and replug to have the key(s) respond again.

joshthegeek

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joshthegeek

Don't waste your money. Too unreliable to be used for gaming. My experience, as the other comments indicate, are far from unusual.

All you need is a Logitech K120 (under $10 at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-920-002478-Keyboard-K120/dp/B003ELVLKU). I one almost exclusively for gaming and it works flawlessly. Inexpensive USB lights are available if you must have a light on your keyboard and no other lights.