WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

eXtEnD ur $iGnaL wif RoUtErS & eXtEnDeRs!

MAKE YOUR SIGNAL BIGGER: GUARANTEED! Find out the SECRET techniques REAL guys use to route their Internet through their house and give their ladies FULL BARS of signals.
TP-LINK official site

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

What's the name of your network? Looking for creative ideas here!

(And feel free to ask questions or shed some light on the awesomeness - or not - of this gear!)

I'm just hanging out, really.

masamunesslave

quality posts: 3 Private Messages masamunesslave
inkycatz wrote:What's the name of your network? Looking for creative ideas here!

(And feel free to ask questions or shed some light on the awesomeness - or not - of this gear!)

I've got two running right now; 'Fisher Joe's' and 'Fisher Phil's'. This is what happens when I watch too much commercial TV while playing with my network...

My old "College Years" Network name was 'Boozer's Playhouse', because that's pretty much what it looked(and smelled) like every day.

berezant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages berezant
inkycatz wrote:What's the name of your network? Looking for creative ideas here!

"TheFrenchTriedAWall"

It's a WW2 reference. :D

jlyles03

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jlyles03

I'd like to get a new router. still rocking the one from college that's about 10 years old. how do I know which one here to pick?

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown

Pamplemousse

No idea why, just like the word.

inkycatz wrote:

Can someone tell me about the "TP-LINK TL-WR842ND N300 300Mbps Multi-Function Wireless N Router"

Specifically does it work as a modem to a PPPoE DSL connection? Or is it just a router and I would have to plug it into my current modem/wireless router? i.e. does it accept the special phone cable, or does it just accept an ethernet cable as its connection source?

Hopefully that is not a dumb question, I can be fairly tech savvy, even when it comes to networking i can open and forward ports and configure my security no problem. But I have no clue about the cable vs DSL connection protocols.

EDIT: I think based on the wires it comes with, it is the latter, which is a bummer.

craigthom

quality posts: 64 Private Messages craigthom

There's an access point in my neighborhood with the SSID "Free Candy terrible act Van". I don't know which of my neighbors it is.

pitamuffin

quality posts: 13 Private Messages pitamuffin

So will any of these solve the problem of our PS3 disconnecting all the time during on-line gaming? We keep getting the "connection interrupted" message and then we get booted from the game.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 188 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
pitamuffin wrote:So will any of these solve the problem of our PS3 disconnecting all the time during on-line gaming? We keep getting the "connection interrupted" message and then we get booted from the game.

Probably. Chances are that you are getting a weak signal, so getting a better router, or a wireless extender will help.

Depends on how far your PC/Gaming Unit is from the existing router. As well as they type of router. The older the router, the slower the connection, and more chances to get dropped.

So you'd want to get one of the N Routers, not the 54mbps one, if you don't currently have a N router.

Otherwise, the Wireless Range Extender should help, since it is N as well.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

robertg714

quality posts: 9 Private Messages robertg714
jlyles03 wrote:I'd like to get a new router. still rocking the one from college that's about 10 years old. how do I know which one here to pick?

Hi I am Robert and I work for TP-LINK and helped put this Flash Event together. I recommend our TL-WR842ND router that has a speed range up to 300Mbps with a USB port to add on a printer or an external hard drive. You will enjoy this router with it's rich features.

ruckstande

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ruckstande

Never heard of this brand before. After looking over the reviews on NewEgg and Amazon I'll never buy another Cisco again. The one I want isn't being offered today unfortunately.

robertg714

countdown wrote:Can someone tell me about the "TP-LINK TL-WR842ND N300 300Mbps Multi-Function Wireless N Router"

Specifically does it work as a modem to a PPPoE DSL connection? Or is it just a router and I would have to plug it into my current modem/wireless router? i.e. does it accept the special phone cable, or does it just accept an ethernet cable as its connection source?

Hopefully that is not a dumb question, I can be fairly tech savvy, even when it comes to networking i can open and forward ports and configure my security no problem. But I have no clue about the cable vs DSL connection protocols.

EDIT: I think based on the wires it comes with, it is the latter, which is a bummer.

Hi I am Robert and work for TP-LINK.

Here are the Key Features of our TL-WR842ND:

1. Can go up to 300Mbps
2. You can have 4 SSID's with each having their own password. This works great if you like to have multiple login's for separate connections.
3. Up to 5 VPN Tunnels to transfer information through a secure private network
4. 1 USB Port to share a printer
5. You can share files through a local file & media sharing
6. WPS Button to easily setup a WPA Encryption
7. Wireless On/Off Button
8. Bandwidth control assures download speeds
9. Parental Control
10. Easy to setup

It will work with a PPPoE DSL Connection.

If you do connected our router to another router please do keep in mind that you will need to disable DHCP on 1 of the routers.

It will connect to your DSL Modem via an RJ10 (Normal phone cable)then you can you an RJ45 (Ethernet Cable) to connect to other PC's via the Ethernet ports.

Those were not dumb questions at all, please do not feel that any question is dumb. TP-LINK & WOOT! are here to make your buying experience easy as possible for you.

If you have questions or any difficulties when installing our router please do keep in mind that we do have FREE Tech Support to assist you with your router. Enjoy!

robertg714

craigthom wrote:There's an access point in my neighborhood with the SSID "Free Candy terrible act Van". I don't know which of my neighbors it is.

Are you looking to extend the signal of the current Access Point? If you are then you can use our Range Extender, TL-WA730RE. If you are currently using the internet via the Access Point then you can install our TL-WA730RE assign the SSID to it then you will further the signal within your home.

If you have any further questions please do ask and I will reply back.

icpete

quality posts: 0 Private Messages icpete

So, my apt is really old and when they installed uverse internet he had to redo the wiring for the phone line. My problem is that my apt is also really long and the only working phone jack is now on the opposite side of my living room where my roku and most of the internet use takes place. I thought about just buying a really long phone cord but it seems like one or more of these will fix my problem. Just not sure which one. Any suggestions?

robertg714

pitamuffin wrote:So will any of these solve the problem of our PS3 disconnecting all the time during on-line gaming? We keep getting the "connection interrupted" message and then we get booted from the game.

Currently you are having an IP Conflict with your current router that is having your PS3 disconnect along with other devices. I am a gamer myself and this is our worst nightmare while playing.

I recommend buying our TL-WR842ND, our router supports IP QoS that will help prioritize packets from other packets.

If you are using an older router then most likely your router doesn't support IP QoS. This will help you with Bandwidth Control, assures download speeds and the quality of multimedia streaming.

I recommend everyone who is an online gamer to use a router that supports IP QoS.

If you have any other questions please feel to ask and I will reply.

Jakelaur1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jakelaur1
robertg714 wrote:Hi I am Robert and work for TP-LINK.

Those were not dumb questions at all, please do not feel that any question is dumb. TP-LINK & WOOT! are here to make your buying experience easy as possible for you.

Ok Robert I'll probably push the limit of "no dumb questions" here:

I'm interested in the TP-LINK TL-WA730RE N150 Wireless Range Extender because there are a couple spots in my place that my wireless doesn't reach. Will it work with my Dual band wireless N Cisco router?

2nd question. regarding the extender. I have a Panasonic T.V. that has an Ethernet port but I don't have cable run near it. I see the extender has a ethernet cord would it be able to "grab the signal" and convert it to wired. I know this is a bit of a stretch but I figured I would ask.

If you know of a similar device that would perform the task I mentioned above please point me in the right direction thanks

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown
robertg714 wrote:It will connect to your DSL Modem via an RJ10 (Normal phone cable)then you can you an RJ45 (Ethernet Cable) to connect to other PC's via the Ethernet ports.

A little confused about this. Isn't the wire coming out of a modem an RJ45? So how does this item connect to a modem via RJ10?

Let me define some stuff in case I am using the wrong terminology.

Modem: The piece of equipment used to convert a phone (or cable) signal into a high speed internet signal. It accepts a phone line (or cable line) in, and provides an ethernet out.

Router: Piece of equipment to allow multiple connections on a network and also usually provides a wireless network. It requires a ethernet connection which it gets via RJ45 in the case of a plain router only, or via a built in modem using RJ10 if it is a router/modem combination.

I am currently using a combined modem/router for my DSL.

If this device accepts a RJ10 line as an input, then that would suggest to me that it has a DSL modem built into it. If that is the case, I would plug it directly into my wall (using a line filter obviously)? And throw out/donate my old modem/router combined device?

Make sense? So is this a combined modem and router? Or just a router?

And for the sake of clarity for any strangers reading this thread, the specific device I am still talking about is the "TP-LINK TL-WR842ND N300 300Mbps Multi-Function Wireless N Router".

Sorry for flooding the forum with such technical questions. Hopefully someone else finds them useful too.

EDIT: OK, answered my own question for sure I reckon. Went to the product page on tp-link website which made it pretty clear it accepts a WAN ethernet connection and would not plug into my wall. Oh well, still tempting since I could just use my old modem/router as a modem only. Also, I just want to mention they have a very nice website. Great pictures clearly showing the ports available, and lots of info on the product.

robertg714

ruckstande wrote:Never heard of this brand before. After looking over the reviews on NewEgg and Amazon I'll never buy another Cisco again. The one I want isn't being offered today unfortunately.

Hi Ruckstande,

I am Robert and work for TP-LINK. I am happy that you took the time to read over our reviews on Newegg and Amzon to see our great rating and reviews.

Our products work extremely great right out the box which now in days that is extremely tough find around.

I do apologize if the router that you are looking for is not listed, but you should take a look at the Wireless Powerline Adapters (TL-WPA271KIT). Powerline is one of the hottest technology that is around and helps with boosting your current wireless signal within your home or office w/o having to run cables.

If you have used Cisco in the passed I know you will enjoy our TP-LINK products. Have a wonderful day.

blackcentury

quality posts: 2 Private Messages blackcentury
robertg714 wrote:Hi I am Robert and work for TP-LINK.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for being here to answer questions!

I just purchased the Range Extender, but I'm curious about the TP-LINK TL-ANT2406A 2.4GHz 6dBi Indoor Directional Antenna. Is that product for enhancing broadcasting (from a router), or reception? Either way, which of the other products here does it attach to?

Thanks!

robertg714

icpete wrote:So, my apt is really old and when they installed uverse internet he had to redo the wiring for the phone line. My problem is that my apt is also really long and the only working phone jack is now on the opposite side of my living room where my roku and most of the internet use takes place. I thought about just buying a really long phone cord but it seems like one or more of these will fix my problem. Just not sure which one. Any suggestions?

Hi icpete,

I am Robert and work for TP-LINK. Rather than buying a long phone cord you can purchase our TL-WPA271KIT that will extend your current wireless signal w/o using any cables.

You will plug the non wireless powerline to the wall and router then plug the 2nd wireless powerline device in another room to extend your current wireless signal.

Powerline is one the Hottest Technologies around that consumers and home installers are using w/o having to run cables.

This will improve your current wireless connection w/in your home.

If you have any questions please do ask and I will reply back.

n17ikh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages n17ikh

Something interesting for the more tech-savvy of wooters: Two of these devices, the TL-MR3220 and TL-WR842ND (the two wireless-N routers) are supported in OpenWRT, making the possibilities for using them much larger. You get a cool little ARM box with a USB port that runs Linux, you can do a whole lot of things.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 188 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

I bought the extender, but forgot to change the shipping address. As a result ...

I will no longer be purchasing from any Woot site other than Wine.Woot until they change their shipping/cancel policy. And most especially for any non-wine item.

In an effort to streamline our shipping process, orders are now processed to ship much faster. As a result, unfortunately, we are unable to alter or cancel your order. Please understand this does not necessarily mean your order has shipped but rather that it has reached the point in processing where it is unable to be cancelled.

This is unacceptable, in any shape or form. Especially as a long time Wooter. This is no longer my Woot.

Especially since it is their bug, which still hasn't been fixed, that has caused such problems that I had to continually change the default shipping address.

The items haven't shipped yet, but they won't change it. Nor cancel it (which I think they have to do if I cancel the order via my CC).

Thanks Woot for losing a long time customer with your shenanigans.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

pattiq

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pattiq

OK, I am entering the dumb question category of play. I am looking at getting a wireless router for my parents. They live in the middle of nowhere with dialup. They will connect the desktop and use wireless for a tablet. Are any of these a good choice? I need super easy to set up and reliable. I am tech support from 1800 miles away.

meowmix313

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meowmix313

On the TL-WPA271KIT does it act as a full AP or is it just a repeater. Only wifi I use is for my phone and ps3 and have been having problems keeping the ps3 connected even though I've gone to the trouble of setting it up properly and it gets plenty good signal. So I'm hoping to use powerline to connect to my ps3 and just wondering if I need a wireless router as well for my phones or if it will do both.

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl

FBI surveillance

pfffft!

pfajardo19

quality posts: 9 Private Messages pfajardo19
robertg714 wrote:Hi icpete,

I am Robert and work for TP-LINK. Rather than buying a long phone cord you can purchase our TL-WPA271KIT that will extend your current wireless signal w/o using any cables.

You will plug the non wireless powerline to the wall and router then plug the 2nd wireless powerline device in another room to extend your current wireless signal.

Powerline is one the Hottest Technologies around that consumers and home installers are using w/o having to run cables.

This will improve your current wireless connection w/in your home.

If you have any questions please do ask and I will reply back.

Hi Robert,

So in this type of configuration, do you have to plug in the device (printer, tv, Blue Ray, etc.) directly into the wall socket without any powerline filter or the like? For many of use that have multiple devices, this may not be feasible. If that's the case, what would you recommend to extend a router signal?

come2thedarkside

baalzebuth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages baalzebuth
robertg714 wrote:

Can you use multiple of those powerline kits for different areas? Will there be any conflict?
Thank you.

kmontrose

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kmontrose

I purchased the Powerline Extender earlier this year and it works great. It was very easy to set up (basically, plug and play) and now my home office computer has a good fast signal just like the room on the other side of the house where our home computer resides.

The only complaint I have is that it's too big. It doesn't share space so my two-plug outlet is now a solo. Oh, and you can't plug it into a power strip, either.

All in all, I'm happy with it. It really does what I needed it to do.

allasard

quality posts: 2 Private Messages allasard

Wait a minute. I'm confused.

The TL-WR842ND is capable of 300Mbps wireless speeds, but it only has 100Mbps ports. What is the point of that?

You'd have to be pulling from at least 3 different WAN and LAN hosts or a USB drive to get anywhere close to 300Mbps.

The lack of gigabit ports seems like an odd oversight.

It is great that OpenWrt supports it though. I've been looking for an upgrade from my G router.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
n17ikh wrote:Something interesting for the more tech-savvy of wooters: Two of these devices, the TL-MR3220 and TL-WR842ND (the two wireless-N routers) are supported in OpenWRT, making the possibilities for using them much larger. You get a cool little ARM box with a USB port that runs Linux, you can do a whole lot of things.

How about dd-wrt?

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
MarkDaSpark wrote:I bought the extender, but forgot to change the shipping address. As a result ...

I will no longer be purchasing from any Woot site other than Wine.Woot until they change their shipping/cancel policy. And most especially for any non-wine item.

This is unacceptable, in any shape or form. Especially as a long time Wooter. This is no longer my Woot.

Especially since it is their bug, which still hasn't been fixed, that has caused such problems that I had to continually change the default shipping address.

The items haven't shipped yet, but they won't change it. Nor cancel it (which I think they have to do if I cancel the order via my CC).

Thanks Woot for losing a long time customer with your shenanigans.

And I'm so disgusted with their need to make extra money that they no longer price items at a discount. So I to declared yesterday that with the exception of a few specific items on wine.woot, that I will not be buying from woot anymore. And that was after spending a small fortune just this past week. It's sad. They should change their name from woot, because it's not woot anymore, it's Amazon 2.0.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

freeweezyy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages freeweezyy

I've been wanting to buy a powerline kit for quite a while. Same model is $75 on newegg. Will be purchasing tonight.

If anyone's unfamiliar with the powerline technology, check this out.

alextse

quality posts: 24 Private Messages alextse

I'm just impressed that there's a (very) active manufacturer rep on this board. I don't need any networking equipment right now but would definitely consider the brand in the future if this is representative of their customer service.

hih934

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hih934

PoliceVan, or {cityName}PD

korpo53

quality posts: 2 Private Messages korpo53

Wapdance.

klstrader

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klstrader

Our network is called BigPapaPump

XterraGuy

quality posts: 8 Private Messages XterraGuy
robertg714 wrote:Hi I am Robert and I work for TP-LINK

Howdy Robert! Can any of these products function as a wireless bridge? As in, pick up a wifi signal and share that via an ethernet port to a connected device? I have a couple of servers that can't accept a wifi connection and I need to connect them to a wifi network.

Edit: the powerline extender won't work, the wifi network I'm trying to connect to is coming from next door.

Thanks!

ajaibhanu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajaibhanu

Better deal (free shipping) at J&R

http://www.jr.com/tplink/pe/TPL_TLWPA271KIT/

rrussell

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rrussell

To: Robert
Re: A further Question about the TL-WPA271KIT 150Mbps AV200 Wireless N Powerline Extender

I currently have a netgear powerline set, so I get the idea that you plug one end into your router, say in the basement, and then into a wall power socket, and then the second unit into a power socket upstairs and VOILA, it's like hardwired ethernet.

SO...

How the devil does your kit know what your WIRELESS LAN is? Does the second end act as its own little WiFi router with its own name? Is it firewalled?

Also: Does the second end also have an ethernet port for a hardwired connection?

Also also (very important): Will it work with other brands of powerline equipment?

Sincerely, Robert

rickystyx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rickystyx

hal9000

I'm afraid I can't do that.