WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

HP 27" 1080p Quad-Core i5 AIO w/ Blu-ray

Speed to First Woot:
43m 7.995s
First Sucker:
Joel Lueck
Last Wooter to Woot:
ardead
Last Purchase:
2 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 27% of Electronics Woots
Bottom 37% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 37% of Electronics Woots
Bottom 44% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 28% first woot
  • 3% second woot
  • 20% < 10 woots
  • 14% < 25 woots
  • 34% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 28% joined today
  • 2% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 2% one year old
  • 66% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 100% bought 1

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

1%
2%
1%
0%
1%
2%
6%
2%
9%
8%
6%
6%
6%
5%
5%
2%
0%
3%
5%
3%
7%
3%
8%
7%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


mmorjon


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mmorjon

No picture of the Blu-ray drive or the side inputs?

conhopper


quality posts: 19 Private Messages conhopper

A quick googling of the model number tells me that the graphics on this is upgradeable via an MXM card (a laptop graphics form factor standardized by nvidia fourish years ago).

Search the page for MXM and you should find a few hits.

derp

doomtothee


quality posts: 48 Private Messages doomtothee

That's a really big screen for a computer. I know it seems all the fashion nowadays but I remember a simpler time when there were a bajillion things to plug into each other to set up a desktop. Now you just set the keyboard and mouse in front of it and like some telepathic alien technology it just knows its connected.

Woot won't let me have a cool signature

xercess


quality posts: 3 Private Messages xercess

oh good it's Win7

djstan627


quality posts: 1 Private Messages djstan627

This is a fairly stacked PC. Everything on/in it is upgradable or overclock...able, though I would worry about the one stick 8gb RAMs reliability then. Not to mention blu-ray, usb 3.0, etc. It's completely ready out the box too: wireless keyboard & mouse w/aa&aaa batteries even! I wonder how the kodak 72pk batteries hold up in these devices...

Dunno bout price tho :P

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

tigrushke wrote:Pretty good spec page: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=5186974&prodTypeId=12454&objectID=c03377747



Be sure to compare to our specs. Our sample had a couple differences from the ones on the HP site. For example, the Tuner Card is H323 instead of the A327 that HP lists.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Shinespark


quality posts: 31 Private Messages Shinespark

You had me going for a second there; on the phone I thought it was a Z1 for a moment, which I would have been all over. Still a decent biggie AiO if that's what you're after, though I'd prefer a 1440 or 1600-line panel. A little disappointing that you don't get 8 with it given the touchscreen, but it's not really expensive to upgrade anymore.

djstan627 wrote:This is a fairly stacked PC. Everything on/in it is upgradable or overclock...able, though I would worry about the one stick 8gb RAMs reliability then. Not to mention blu-ray, usb 3.0, etc.


Overclock? It's an underclocked, locked i5 to reduce TDP, and HP (or nearly any OEM) isn't one to allow you to play with memory timings or multipliers in the BIOS. Not that it isn't enough for most anyone.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Shinespark wrote:You had me going for a second there; on the phone I thought it was a Z1 for a moment, which I would have been all over. Still a decent biggie AiO if that's what you're after, though I'd prefer a 1440 or 1600-line panel. A little disappointing that you don't get 8 with it given the touchscreen, but it's not really expensive to upgrade anymore.



Not a touchscreen.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Shinespark


quality posts: 31 Private Messages Shinespark
ThunderThighs wrote:Not a touchscreen.



Well, crap.

KevOKC


quality posts: 5 Private Messages KevOKC

What is the point in having an AIO if it lacks the touchscreen. This is what windows 8 would be made for if it had the touchscreen for metro or tiles operating system. i can't believe this. Guess Ill wait for a combo windows 8 tablet that has mulyi touchscreen and is mobile. Would have got one of these for the house. Guess I could get an older AIO and piy wimdows 8 on it but would be to under powered for me.

soshshops


quality posts: 2 Private Messages soshshops

For those of us lucky enough to get the plug in, please....Is this a good deal for a "normal" family PC? Homework, surfing, bill paying, kids (no gaming) games? Thanks for the translation.

tgr131


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tgr131

Curse you Shinespark, and your sig line. Now I will be humming "Don't copy that floppy" all day!

Shinespark wrote:You had me going for a second there; on the phone I thought it was a Z1 for a moment, which I would have been all over. Still a decent biggie AiO if that's what you're after, though I'd prefer a 1440 or 1600-line panel. A little disappointing that you don't get 8 with it given the touchscreen, but it's not really expensive to upgrade anymore.


Overclock? It's an underclocked, locked i5 to reduce TDP, and HP (or nearly any OEM) isn't one to allow you to play with memory timings or multipliers in the BIOS. Not that it isn't enough for most anyone.



mcahren


quality posts: 6 Private Messages mcahren

Regarding the lack of touchscreen..

Read reviews for AiOs with touchscreens, and you'll find that most owners think they're cool, but admit that they rarely use it. I think it's more of a novelty. I have an AiO with a touchscreen, and the display sits too far back on the desk for it to be comfortable. For a desktop, using a mouse is more natural than touching the screen.

Also, upgrading a Win7 machine to Win8 to utilize touchscreen is sometimes disappointing because the swipe-off experience isn't the same as machines that were purpose built for Win8 (no raised bezel).

I have an AiO with an external TV tuner (this one has an internal), and I must say, Windows Media Center is quite impressive. If you haven't used it before, you'll be surprised at how polished the interfaces are, and how well it works. It's leaps and bounds better than any DVR out there.

I'm not sure if this comes with a remote, if not, grab a cheap MCE remote off of eBay.

This seems like a good deal for a powerful and feature rich machine. Perfect for the kitchen nook, where you don't want a bunch of wires.

Now, Woot, when are you going to show me a good wireless color laser printer/scanner?

lebeatnik


quality posts: 5 Private Messages lebeatnik

IMO if this was a touch screen PC then it would be worth It as a home windows 8 PC as IMO if you don't have touch then you don't want win 8 as the metro (or whatever they call it now?) UI IMO can only be remotely useful as a touch PC.

Since this is an AIO PC (which means difficult to upgrade) would only be good as a new age family bulletin board or else IMO large touch screen all in one PC's and cell phones (basically touch devices) are the only thing win 8 is good for.

Now back on topic this PC is basically a mac style PC for family's which have no real need for any games* (*the kind of games you buy farm-ville on Facebook should work fine LOL)

So just IMO buy this if you need a PC, (not an upgrade) don't ever plan on windows 8 (I don't either so that's not a big deal) and this will be used for school reports, social media, browsing the internet, and other average PC use. This is also more expensive than a usual PC setup.

mcahren


quality posts: 6 Private Messages mcahren
soshshops wrote:For those of us lucky enough to get the plug in, please....Is this a good deal for a "normal" family PC? Homework, surfing, bill paying, kids (no gaming) games? Thanks for the translation.



Yes Soshshops, I think that this machine would be a very good choice. The technology will allow you to use this machine for a long time, with USB3, Blu-ray, large 1TB hard drive, and RAM expandable to 16GB (though the included 8GB is more than plenty for what you describe), and wireless N.

If you really want, you can even upgrade the OS to Windows 8 for $15. There is some conflicting information on the internet about whether refurbished machines are eligible for the discounted upgrade, but FWIW, I was able to buy/download/install the Win8 upgrade for my refurbished AiO computer that I bought a few weeks ago without any issues (don't worry about the fact that my family didn't really bond with Win8, and I decided to revert back Win7).

cmacclel


quality posts: 3 Private Messages cmacclel
KevOKC wrote:What is the point in having an AIO if it lacks the touchscreen. This is what windows 8 would be made for if it had the touchscreen for metro or tiles operating system. i can't believe this. Guess Ill wait for a combo windows 8 tablet that has mulyi touchscreen and is mobile. Would have got one of these for the house. Guess I could get an older AIO and piy wimdows 8 on it but would be to under powered for me.



I have Windows 8 on my wifes touchscreen and find the mouse much easier to navigate.

ohmark


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ohmark

Just wonder whether the savings here on refurb with 90 day warranty are offset by what it would cost to buy an extended warranty here or elsewhere.

Ehenningl


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ehenningl

This could be a cheap way to make a faux iMac with Hackintosh, then run a dualboot, so you can have best of both worlds.
http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/05/install-lion-on-ivy-bridge-hackintosh.html

The only concern is the screen resolution, a higher screen resolution would really help when sitting at a desk with this large screen.

mrgrogg


quality posts: 10 Private Messages mrgrogg
mcahren wrote:I have an AiO with a touchscreen, and the display sits too far back on the desk for it to be comfortable.



That seems like a rather self-fulfilling prophecy.

"Putting dinner on plates makes it too hard to eat because I put the plates in the middle of the table instead of where I can reach them. It's far easier to just slop the food onto the edges of the table."



----------
How much work could a network net if a network could net work?

rhycochet


quality posts: 16 Private Messages rhycochet
mrgrogg wrote:That seems like a rather self-fulfilling prophecy.

"Putting dinner on plates makes it too hard to eat because I put the plates in the middle of the table instead of where I can reach them. It's far easier to just slop the food onto the edges of the table."



not quite, your average computer monitor is not 27 inches. i have an even bigger 30" dell ultrasharp and i can tell you that if you have it anywhere close to your face enough to conveniently swipe the screen, the view gets nauseating.

so in your example, it's more like putting your food in a laundry bin and setting that in front of you. i wouldn't imagine that being convenient and you'd probably need to sit higher and use a very long ladle.

also, screens can never be too big. ever. if i had more deskspace i'd vouch for multi-displaying 3x30" monitors. 27" is gigantic as is if you're used to the average screen-size of 21~23." i've never seen an AiO with a display this large before. i'm actually GLAD it's not touch-screen. can anyone say perfect AiO media center solution?

svrommelvs


quality posts: 1 Private Messages svrommelvs

Buying and upgrading an AIO, even with an MXM card, is not a simple DIY project like swapping the video card on a traditional motherboard. If the kids want to play iOS-level games like Plants vs. Zombies, this machine is fine. Great CPU! If the kids are tugging at mom's skirts for BF3 or other modern, 3D games a consumer would be well advised to look elsewhere.

iwade2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages iwade2

Can it run two monitors?

fmfondeur


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fmfondeur

I agree.
Recently bought the IBM M90z, here in woot, a few weeks ago.
It has touch screen, and I decided to upgrade to W8 using the $15 offer, since the AiO is touch screen it seems the right way to go.
W8 is really great, but I find myself using the touch screen so little, exactly because of that, the screen is to far from me, and having my arm extended for prolonged periods of time, is not comfortable at all.

mcahren wrote:Regarding the lack of touchscreen..

Read reviews for AiOs with touchscreens, and you'll find that most owners think they're cool, but admit that they rarely use it. I think it's more of a novelty. I have an AiO with a touchscreen, and the display sits too far back on the desk for it to be comfortable. For a desktop, using a mouse is more natural than touching the screen.

Also, upgrading a Win7 machine to Win8 to utilize touchscreen is sometimes disappointing because the swipe-off experience isn't the same as machines that were purpose built for Win8 (no raised bezel).

I have an AiO with an external TV tuner (this one has an internal), and I must say, Windows Media Center is quite impressive. If you haven't used it before, you'll be surprised at how polished the interfaces are, and how well it works. It's leaps and bounds better than any DVR out there.

I'm not sure if this comes with a remote, if not, grab a cheap MCE remote off of eBay.

This seems like a good deal for a powerful and feature rich machine. Perfect for the kitchen nook, where you don't want a bunch of wires.

Now, Woot, when are you going to show me a good wireless color laser printer/scanner?



w00teregrine


quality posts: 1 Private Messages w00teregrine

I just bought a touch enabled Dell, 23" for my office a few months ago. It was $799.
Touchscreen never gets used.

Dell, 27" i5 Processor AiO Touch enabled starts... STARTS at $1,599.

This is not a bad deal.

sparkalina


quality posts: 2 Private Messages sparkalina

Going to have to agree on this one.

I have an HP touchsmart IQ800 series. The touch screen has definitely been a novelty and I rarely use it for the following reasons:

1) it's not reactive enough, slightly slower than using a mouse. This may have changed in their software.

2) I leave my computer on 24/7 with sleep mode, bugs and dust or what have you will turn this bastard on in the middle of the night (I'm in a studio, so it wakes me up)

3) It's been handy ONCE when the batteries on the wireless keyboard gave out and my only input was the touch screen.

4) HP's touchsmart bloat software is resource hungry and slow. Hopefully, they've fixed that. I NEVER use it.

5) having said all this, I'd upgrade to this model above in a heartbeat if I had the cash. Faster and 2 more inches...sold. I'd give up the touchscreen so fast. It was the size and lack of cords I signed up for when I bought mine.



mcahren wrote:Regarding the lack of touchscreen..

Read reviews for AiOs with touchscreens, and you'll find that most owners think they're cool, but admit that they rarely use it. I think it's more of a novelty. I have an AiO with a touchscreen, and the display sits too far back on the desk for it to be comfortable. For a desktop, using a mouse is more natural than touching the screen.

Also, upgrading a Win7 machine to Win8 to utilize touchscreen is sometimes disappointing because the swipe-off experience isn't the same as machines that were purpose built for Win8 (no raised bezel).

I have an AiO with an external TV tuner (this one has an internal), and I must say, Windows Media Center is quite impressive. If you haven't used it before, you'll be surprised at how polished the interfaces are, and how well it works. It's leaps and bounds better than any DVR out there.

I'm not sure if this comes with a remote, if not, grab a cheap MCE remote off of eBay.

This seems like a good deal for a powerful and feature rich machine. Perfect for the kitchen nook, where you don't want a bunch of wires.

Now, Woot, when are you going to show me a good wireless color laser printer/scanner?



huskersfan11


quality posts: 0 Private Messages huskersfan11

I purchased this same computer from Sam's Club for $999.99 about 4 weeks ago. My wife and 3 kids say it's too big...but screw them, I LOVE IT!!!
Only complaint so far is that it won't wake from sleep mode easily. Moving the mouse or hitting the keyboard repeatedly got frustrating,so I just leave it in screensaver mode all the time. I'm running at about 15mps on the wi-fi consistently, and so what if i can't see the trees out my window because the frickin' HUGE screen is blocking my view.

desynergy


quality posts: 7 Private Messages desynergy

For what it's worth, we've used HP All in ones before (ENVY model line) and we had NUMEROUS problems with it. We would lease them out to be registers at businesses and I dont think it was even 3 months before we started getting the "cash drawers wont open" calls, which turned out to be the USB ports just stopped working. A couple of times the screen turned dim and would not go back to the brightest setting, and other misc problems. Then when HP would send someone out to replace the whole board inside, they didnt put them back together correctly. (You could squeeze the monitor and it felt like the screws were loose, but they werent.) Not very fond of HP's all in ones.

And as started above, the local Sams Clubs in the Kansas City area does sell these for $999.

This one isnt a touch screen, but it looks like they changed that out for a TV turner card for the home consumers.