How far you've fallen.

aaltieri

quality posts: 23 Private Messages aaltieri

An ok tablet for the price. Go here to make it better:

http://www.freaktab.com/forumdisplay.php?62-Polaroid-Tablets

Good first tablet for kids.

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 24 Private Messages CuzzinMerl

How long does it take for the pictures to develop?

chadwsmith

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chadwsmith

This is a very good tablet for $50. However I find it ironic that this Polaroid doesn't even have a camera.

Read my blog or, you know, don't. It's up to you.

hillarious28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hillarious28
chadwsmith wrote:This is a very good tablet for $50. However I find it ironic that this Polaroid doesn't even have a camera.

i agree...however, this tablet isn't made by polaroid. it's made by a company called southern telecom...a camera is something they should have thought of before touting the polaroid name.

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj

Note to people, this is the older 701C model, not the newer 702C or 703C. So while it's way cheaper than the sticker price, you're also getting a last generation tablet.

The newer 703C is available at Office Depot right now for $90 (in-store only) as an alternative for anyone interested:
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/320047/Polaroid-PMID703C-7-Tablet-Black/

cuddlyogre

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cuddlyogre

Is there any way I can be assured that there are no dead pixels on the screen? That's usually why these types of things are refurbished but never seem to be actually fixed.

Turc

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Turc

Snagged my interest, seems like something fun to toy with for $50.

In for 1!

LSTNYER

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LSTNYER

Honestly, Is this good for someone that mainly will use it for the kindle app, and maybe a few games?

Baquazan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Baquazan

I've been wanting a cheap tablet to read full-color .pdfs that my nook can't render properly as well as to watch the youtubes. Anyone know if this is worth the purchase for those alone?

Might also be getting a Galaxy SIII soon, so if you think that would serve me just fine lemme know!

xyrcncp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xyrcncp
Baquazan wrote:I've been wanting a cheap tablet to read full-color .pdfs that my nook can't render properly as well as to watch the youtubes. Anyone know if this is worth the purchase for those alone?

Might also be getting a Galaxy SIII soon, so if you think that would serve me just fine lemme know!

It won't serve you better! There I made the decision for you. Now go, buy the tablet, forget about the S3, who needs current technology? :P

fleebag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fleebag

Probably not helpful, but I bought the 701i (the ICS version of the 701c) when Biglots was selling them. It was a good intro to ICS to see how it works in a device.

There is no location device, so you'll have to create a way to get GPS coordinates.

There are no Bluetooth drivers for USB dongles via the OTG port. There are rumors that someone released a mod to allow USB Bluetooth to work.

There are no secondary power ports... once you plugged something in for OTG, you have to rely on the battery life.

I had root right off the bat. No need for recovery boot tricks or exploits.

5-point capacitive is fun to play with.

The tilt sensors work well.. so well, you can even turn it up-side down and it'll flip it! (most devices only let you tilt in three directions...)

Oh, and there are packages out there to get Google Play app market installed, so you don't have to use the Amazon Market.

That's all I remember for my 701i. I heard that the 701c has better luck playing Netflix.

nafhan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nafhan
LSTNYER wrote:Honestly, Is this good for someone that mainly will use it for the kindle app, and maybe a few games?

The screen res. is low for this size screen and the processor is slow. It'll probably be better for light web browsing and movies. Reading will be somewhat hampered by the resolution, and you will probably be limited to games along the lines of Angry Birds or solitaire.

Quick Googling made it look like Amazon App Store can be installed. So, you've got that at least as a source of content.

Hans17

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hans17

People of the interwebs, do you reccomend this purchase? Is there anything better out there for the same price?

raney2

quality posts: 3 Private Messages raney2

Here are some notes on rooting the OS, as well as some bug fixes and whatnot: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?491-****OFFICIAL-Polaroid-PMID701c-THREAD!-root-market-and-more!

greydevil

quality posts: 3 Private Messages greydevil

They sell there where i work, and they're just... just awful. You're wasting your money buying one. I work at Customer Service and i get these in practically a day after they've been bought by a given customer and they all tell me its a piece of junk.

Hans17

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hans17
greydevil wrote:They sell there where i work, and they're just... just awful. You're wasting your money buying one. I work at Customer Service and i get these in practically a day after they've been bought by a given customer and they all tell me its a piece of junk.

Could you elaborate on the problems please?

MaxAwesome

quality posts: 9 Private Messages MaxAwesome

In for three. These are going to my nieces and cousins in Thailand once I install ICS and a brazillian games on 'em.

Anyone familiar with these think they won't live up to the task of Angry Birds-type games and web browsing and YouTubing? That's all they'll be doing basically...

dernst_ca1

quality posts: 38 Private Messages dernst_ca1
hillarious28 wrote:i agree...however, this tablet isn't made by polaroid. it's made by a company called southern telecom...a camera is something they should have thought of before touting the polaroid name.

which is equally ironic since it doesn't have a phone either

-JMHSRV

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

steelbluesleepr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages steelbluesleepr

thinking about using this, rooting it, and installing the "DSLR Remote" app for my canon 5d2. anyone know if this would work?

Toshiba USB Optical Scroll Mouse – 2 Pack MicroGEM Quick Drive 4GB USB DriveConnect3D 4GB Secure Digital Memory Card
Aerielle Audiobug FM Transmitter
Logitech Curve Headphones 2-Pack

meandsecoya

quality posts: 12 Private Messages meandsecoya

Oh, someone give me some quick (good) advice. My husband and I bought these on Cyber Monday for $40 for our 5 and 7 year olds. However, they suck worse than I even expected. I know what's on sale here isn't *amazing* but is it better enough that I should buy two of these and return the other crappy ones I bought? I mostly want it for them to be able to play games-Angry Birds, Zoodles, educational stuff, etc., and maybe watch Netflix on occasion.

tekstyle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tekstyle

anyone know if it's worth getting this as a cheap tablet to use as a remote controller for a home theater system with apps such as IRULE or OPENREMOTE? i am currently using a itouch gen 4 and the screen just isn't big enough to display all the buttons.

mnerd

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mnerd

My question is, is this any better than a nook color with CM10? Because the nook color has been pretty low recently, $59, and it seems like it has lots more active development.

tekstyle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tekstyle
steelbluesleepr wrote:thinking about using this, rooting it, and installing the "DSLR Remote" app for my canon 5d2. anyone know if this would work?

I want to know too. except, does that program work with nikon for D300, D7000, and D600?

curvin777

quality posts: 2 Private Messages curvin777

For those looking at this for an e-reader: The original Nook Color has the same resolution, this is just fine.

For those interested in using this as a basic YouTube player, the specs are double the first Android phone that has zero problems playing YouTube videos. You are just fine.

For those wondering if this will be great for the kids and play Angry Birds in Brazil, this has nearly the specs as several of the Nexus phones: you'll be fine.

For this price you will be very hard pressed to find something equivalent in specs. Hell, you can't even find a digital picture frame this size with wifi for this price!

You nay sayers seem to think that people need a tablet with a hexacore 2.8GHz CPU, 32GB of RAM, a 256GB MLC SSD and a dedicated graphics chipset so they can watch cat videos and read Facebook. And while I'd certainly want something like that, a tablet such as this is perfect for most people.

Word!

webslappy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages webslappy
meandsecoya wrote:Oh, someone give me some quick (good) advice. My husband and I bought these on Cyber Monday for $40 for our 5 and 7 year olds. However, they suck worse than I even expected. I know what's on sale here isn't *amazing* but is it better enough that I should buy two of these and return the other crappy ones I bought? I mostly want it for them to be able to play games-Angry Birds, Zoodles, educational stuff, etc., and maybe watch Netflix on occasion.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with either. My 5 and 7 yr old would drop and I can bet it would be toast with one good impact. I would keep an eye out for another Nabi tablet on Woot (it didn't last long recently) or the Nabi Jr is coming out but not until after the holidays.

honus87

quality posts: 3 Private Messages honus87
CuzzinMerl wrote:How long does it take for the pictures to develop?

Depends on how fast you shake it.

meandsecoya

quality posts: 12 Private Messages meandsecoya
curvin777 wrote:For those looking at this for an e-reader: The original Nook Color has the same resolution, this is just fine.

For those interested in using this as a basic YouTube player, the specs are double the first Android phone that has zero problems playing YouTube videos. You are just fine.

For those wondering if this will be great for the kids and play Angry Birds in Brazil, this has nearly the specs as several of the Nexus phones: you'll be fine.

For this price you will be very hard pressed to find something equivalent in specs. Hell, you can't even find a digital picture frame this size with wifi for this price!

You nay sayers seem to think that people need a tablet with a hexacore 2.8GHz CPU, 32GB of RAM, a 256GB MLC SSD and a dedicated graphics chipset so they can watch cat videos and read Facebook. And while I'd certainly want something like that, a tablet such as this is perfect for most people.

Word!

Thank you! You just helped me decide to click the stupidly large button. In for two.

webslappy wrote:Personally, I wouldn't bother with either. My 5 and 7 yr old would drop and I can bet it would be toast with one good impact. I would keep an eye out for another Nabi tablet on Woot (it didn't last long recently) or the Nabi Jr is coming out but not until after the holidays.

My kids are surprisingly responsible for their ages. Plus, there will be some pretty strict limitations on when and where they can use it, so I'm not as worried about them breaking it as I was about wasting my money on something that wasn't going to be of any use to them anyway. Thanks for the suggestion though!

giaimo13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages giaimo13

I buy these by the bundle. Then, I install a (freeware) slideshow application on them, copy a bunch of family photos onto them, then set the slideshow app to autostart at reboot, and SHAZAM! Instant slideshow of family pics on an e-frame, all for $40 - cheaper than most e-frames!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

curvin777

quality posts: 2 Private Messages curvin777
meandsecoya wrote:Oh, someone give me some quick (good) advice. My husband and I bought these on Cyber Monday for $40 for our 5 and 7 year olds. However, they suck worse than I even expected. I know what's on sale here isn't *amazing* but is it better enough that I should buy two of these and return the other crappy ones I bought? I mostly want it for them to be able to play games-Angry Birds, Zoodles, educational stuff, etc., and maybe watch Netflix on occasion.

A millon times better! I bought one of those Cruz bastards to use as a digital picture frame and it barely works for that. This tablet is light years better than one of those.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

honus87 wrote:Depends on how fast you shake it.

*snort*

Nice.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

alpharayz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alpharayz
curvin777 wrote:For those looking at this for an e-reader: The original Nook Color has the same resolution, this is just fine.

Word!

Nope. The Nook Color has a 1024x600 IPS Display.

[MOD: He compared it to the ORIGINAL Nook Color.]

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

These are the types of cheap tablets that have given Android a bad name, especially in the early days of Android tablets. Too many people used to buy them when they are $150ish and because of the slow processor, sluggish performance, etc. feel ripped off then go get an iPad. In some ways I wish Android had more control over what their OS was used on, but now that they have dropped to $50 people should realize its not an 'Android' problem but a cheap tablet problem when their device doesn't meet expectations.

0mtalavera

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 0mtalavera

Does this model have IR?

kennyminot

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kennyminot

Seriously, Woot?

I don't want to dismiss the Polaroid tablet. I have a friend who bought one for his child, and it seems to work fine for that purpose. You're not going to be able to play any of the contemporary games, but it'll probably work fine (if not a little sluggish) for most basic purposes.

But $50 is not a good deal for a refurbished Polaroid tablet. Big Lots has sold these things new for only slightly more. I would never buy one of these "off brand" tablets new for more than $50. And, following that reasoning, I would definitely never buy them refurbished for $50.

Part of the reason we come here is that we trust a Woot-approved deal is going to be excellent. That has stopped being the case. I was looking for an AOC monitor last week, and the deal was a joke - they were offering refurbished monitors for $90+, when Best Buy was currently offering them new for the same price!

mhujm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhujm

I think I'm still licking my wounds from the Cruz T301 tablet I got here are couple years ago.

Had hopes that could at least have been a fridge-mounter recipe and surfing board, but it's a complete brick... even the browser crashes before it loads.

In fairness, I'm talking about a different product than what's onsale, so my pass-along is simply: do research, make sure it's not a hated product before you buy.

isilveus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages isilveus
mhujm wrote:
Had hopes that could at least have been a fridge-mounter recipe and surfing board, but it's a complete brick... even the browser crashes before it loads.

I had the same experience with that darned T301...and my plan, like yours, was a recipe server velcroed to the fridge. Mine works perfectly for that purpose, though. If you just turn off javascrapt, the browser doesn't crash anymore.