zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

vicemagnet

quality posts: 5 Private Messages vicemagnet

Radio Raheem!

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Forget that professional cnet review I got amateur stuff right here

sorry thunderthighs the 11 minute one was a bust. I got the real deal here though.

here is a review from buy.com the two speaker system starts about 40 seconds in.

Here is an 11 minute review on the 3 speaker

doomtothee

quality posts: 48 Private Messages doomtothee

I've owned the 3 speaker version, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Pros:
-Loud and incredibly good sound quality
-Well designed as far as input's, the USB hookup syncs instantly and of course charges your ipod as well as plays it.
-Very, very good looking, You will get comments, especially if you walk with it conspicuously on your shoulder playing 90's rap.
Cons:
-Heavy (although not horribly so)
-Poorly designed for carrying while playing, there's no good place to keep your phone/mp3 player (it's always worked out but a bit annoying)
-Touch sensitive front is reliable but can be a bit finicky, nothing a reset didn't fix.
-You have to add/remove the batteries every time you use it or else the box will drain them while it sits. Leave half drained batteries in it (turned off) for 2-3 weeks and they'll be fully drained

All in all I'm considering buying it again, I sold it back recently to buy a receiver but for this price I might have to pick it up again...

Woot won't let me have a cool signature

fit410s

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fit410s

Ornaments Make Festive Garland.....Requires 10 'D' Cell Batteries (not included)....not fun to own a device that needs so many D size batteries. yuck

vw57dlx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vw57dlx
fit410s wrote:Ornaments Make Festive Garland.....Requires 10 'D' Cell Batteries (not included)....not fun to own a device that needs so many D size batteries. yuck

I agree. That is only for it to be portable though. And I bet you can use those AA (or is it AAA) to D cell adapters.

sully3561

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sully3561

The "In the Box" write-up includes the FM wire antenna. Is the AM loop antenna also included?

Manual here: http://www.tdkperformance.com/Global/63952301C_TP6803BLK_3SpeakerBoombox_UserGuide_ENG.pdf

rhycochet

quality posts: 16 Private Messages rhycochet

critical question:
i've been reading (i'm almost certain uneducated) reviews on this thing, where people are criticizing how the speaker cones are bare.

i'll admit, from amazon and the like i can't tell very well...but from these woot pictures (awesome, btw) it looks apparent to me that the visible "cones" on the outside are actually speaker grilles made to look like bare cones...am i right?

i hope so, cuz this thing is sexy as hell and i'm tempted to buy one just so i can have one...LOL. although i'd probably pseudo-mount it by setting it on a shelf above my keyboard

PopeJonPaul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PopeJonPaul
sully3561 wrote:The "In the Box" write-up includes the FM wire antenna. Is the AM loop antenna also included?

Manual here: http://www.tdkperformance.com/Global/63952301C_TP6803BLK_3SpeakerBoombox_UserGuide_ENG.pdf

Yes, the AM loop antenna is included as well.

bolasdeferro

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bolasdeferro

I purchased the 2-speaker box the last time this deal was posted. Very impressed with both the quality of the box and sound!

Not sure if anyone has had this problem, but the volume button would sometimes turn itself lower at certain volumes. As if a mysterious ghost didn't like the music I was playing and wanted to turn the sound a bit. Weird.

satimney

quality posts: 4 Private Messages satimney
rhycochet wrote:critical question:
i've been reading (i'm almost certain uneducated) reviews on this thing, where people are criticizing how the speaker cones are bare.

The cones are REAL carbon fiber and the surrounds are rubber (not foam). The cone/surround can take a good bump without worry of damage.

satimney

quality posts: 4 Private Messages satimney

I've heard complaints of the fact the antenna needs to be plugged in the back.

The unit has an internal FM antenna and does not need the external unless you have reception problems. I can pick up all my local stations clearly with only the internal.

davidbischof

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidbischof

Anyone know how long this would last on 10 (!!!!!) D batteries?

miniskunk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages miniskunk

You gotta love a speaker system whose volume knob goes to 11. Screw 10, we are taking this bad boy all the way to 11!

justabandnerd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justabandnerd

The most out of date thing here is the TDK name.

stascom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stascom

Found some info on new firmware supporting USB control from Android devices. Can anyone confirm this?

cwells100

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cwells100

Got this beaut last time it was around Woot! - something about it's looks - had to have it. The three speaker version is big, and heavy. It being portable is a plus, maybe I'll carry it along on a car camping trip or to the backyard BBQ grill. Mostly, though, this beast will be reside in my bedroom. Sound is terrific. No remote on this unit, but with an added usb bluetooth receiver and an iphone/ipad, I am happy.

vademo0o

quality posts: 4 Private Messages vademo0o

Can someone please confirm if this device has a alarm option? I plan to use it as a morning alarm radio.

defibrillator

quality posts: 18 Private Messages defibrillator

Not sure whether to spend the extra money on the three speaker version. Anyone have opinions? I plan to mostly use this around the house. Is the three-speaker overkill or does it add a lot of value to the listening experience?

wmlagna

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wmlagna

Have the 2 speaker version and love it. Bass response is great. I bought the 2 speaker because the 3 speaker, which does have more bass, was simply too heavy. The sound quality is such that they will replace a home stereo in an apartment context. I also have a sound cube (152$ w/free shipping on amazon) and I use that one the most. It is more portable and also sounds great. Plus it doesn't easily fall over, which the thin version offered today will do if bumped.
Bottom line: Great sound and VERY loud. Get the shape that fits your needs. And unless you are a bass freak, you will be happy with the two speaker bass.

cmacclel

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cmacclel
vademo0o wrote:Can someone please confirm if this device has a alarm option? I plan to use it as a morning alarm radio.

Nope

TheRaven

quality posts: 10 Private Messages TheRaven
doomtothee wrote:I've owned the 3 speaker version, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Pros:
-Loud and incredibly good sound quality
-Well designed as far as input's, the USB hookup syncs instantly and of course charges your ipod as well as plays it.
-Very, very good looking, You will get comments, especially if you walk with it conspicuously on your shoulder playing 90's rap.
Cons:
-Heavy (although not horribly so)
-Poorly designed for carrying while playing, there's no good place to keep your phone/mp3 player (it's always worked out but a bit annoying)
-Touch screen front is reliable but can be a bit finicky, nothing a reset didn't fix.

Really? Heavy but not horribly so? At 31.2 lbs WITHOUT 12 D batteries (3 speaker version), how is this not horribly heavy? Even the 2 speaker version is 15 lbs without the 10 D batteries.

Now, let's add the batteries. Here's a chart of battery weights: http://www.allaboutbatteries.com/Energy-tables.html

We'll use the D battery chart and I'll pick Alkaline which is your typical store-bought battery. Besides, the rechargeable batteries are heavier.

10 D-Cell Alkaline batteries would weigh 1350 grams while 12 would weigh in at a whopping 1620 grams. Now, let's convert those grams to ounces using google's converter. (go to google.com and type "grams to ounces")

1350 grams = 47.61985 ounces or 2.976240625 lbs. 15 + 2.97 = 18 lbs for the 2 speaker version loaded with D Alkaline batteries.

1620 grams = 57.14382 ounces or 3.57148875 lbs. 31.2 + 3.57 = a whopping 34.77148875 lbs, 35 lbs for the 3-speaker version!

Try that on for portability! LOL!

cmacclel

TheRaven wrote:Really? Heavy but not horribly so? At 31.2 lbs WITHOUT 12 D batteries (3 speaker version), how is this not horribly heavy? Even the 2 speaker version is 15 lbs without the 10 D batteries.

Now, let's add the batteries. Here's a chart of battery weights: http://www.allaboutbatteries.com/Energy-tables.html

We'll use the D battery chart and I'll pick Alkaline which is your typical store-bought battery. Besides, the rechargeable batteries are heavier.

10 D-Cell Alkaline batteries would weigh 1350 grams while 12 would weigh in at a whopping 1620 grams. Now, let's convert those grams to ounces using google's converter. (go to google.com and type "grams to ounces")

1350 grams = 47.61985 ounces or 2.976240625 lbs. 15 + 2.97 = 18 lbs for the 2 speaker version loaded with D Alkaline batteries.

1620 grams = 57.14382 ounces or 3.57148875 lbs. 31.2 + 3.57 = a whopping 34.77148875 lbs, 35 lbs for the 3-speaker version!

Try that on for portability! LOL!

Who really cares how heavy it is. I highly doubt people plan on walking down the street with this on their shoulder which is the only situation where excessive weight would play a role. Yes It's heavy but the sound it produces is unlike any other portable music system for the price. I bought a 3 speaker version last Woot and love it. The Bass response is less that what I expected but the music does sound nice overall. Now when I have this cranking in my little 6 x 10 office you can feel the Bass in your stomach. I may by the 2 speaker version this woot

robiereader

quality posts: 1 Private Messages robiereader

Bought this for my adult son last time around. He is a new homeowner. He is thrilled with the sound quality and happy to be able to move it to various parts of his house. Good purchase.

TheRaven

quality posts: 10 Private Messages TheRaven
cmacclel wrote:Who really cares how heavy it is. I highly doubt people plan on walking down the street with this on their shoulder which is the only situation where excessive weight would play a role. Yes It's heavy but the sound it produces is unlike any other portable music system for the price. I bought a 3 speaker version last Woot and love it. The Bass response is less that what I expected but the music does sound nice overall. Now when I have this cranking in my little 6 x 10 office you can feel the Bass in your stomach. I may by the 2 speaker version this woot

It's fine for your use but it is named a "BoomBox". Boomboxes were carried around constantly. You're right, nobody in their right mind is going to carry 35lbs of boombox around on their shoulder PLUS a smart phone tethered to it.

However, I can see this being taken to the beach, picnics, parties, etc. which is the portable part. At 35lbs, that's a lot of boombox to haul around. :-)

CapnJB

quality posts: 15 Private Messages CapnJB

Looks nice but I'm still rocking it old school.

bobbymcwho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobbymcwho

I LOVE this boombox, got one at Best Buy for $150 Open Box sale and I must tell you it is LOUD. Definitely worth the cost, I used it as a stereo for my room, and it IS portable, but I wouldn't want to be carrying it around on my shoulder... who does that anymore?

jaakkoleppo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaakkoleppo

...wondering if this is fixed to 120V, or would it be a multivoltage supporting 120 and 230V (and work in Europe as well)...? (or how many D-cells I could use yearly playing at 50% volume for 6 hours per day..? ◕‿◕)

nemethmic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nemethmic

I bought the Three speaker version last time on woot:

Most likely you'll have to upgrade the firmware because of a weird distortion issue when used with the USB. This is NO biggie. In fact I thought I had bricked my unit but a quick call to TDK and they helped resolve the problem with an easy fix( when you download the firmware on your flash drive rename the flash drive TDK FLASH) After that it worked perfectly. In chatting with the tech he pretty much said that most of the units out there are going to need this done. I am a mac user and you need to windows machine to do this right so check with your friends. The process is painless and quick and there are explicit directions for this on the website.

http://www.tdkperformance.com/en-us/Home-Audio/Boomboxes/3-Speaker-Boombox-Audio-System/3-Speaker-Boombox-Support/

Build: wow...luxe all the way. It is HEAVY get over that...please. The knobs are a fine on my three and have none of the creep issues that the two speaker version has... read the comments from the last woot. It looks and feels impressive overall and in person there is no doubt that you are getting a deal at this price point. There is no remote . Get over that as well. yeah they made a mistake. Their mistake is your gain at this point. Yeah it takes a lead acid factory of D cells to power this beast. this was a mistake as well. Get over that too. It does however have just about every type of input you could imagine so no matter what you want to hook up you're covered.

Sound: Overall I am really satisfied with how this baby sounds. Is it the ultimate audiophile experience ? No. Is it pleasurable to listen to? Yes. The bass is ok it isn't huge. Don't expect rib moving low end cause that isn't there. Highs and mids are fine... Lows are adequate. This thing is LOUD. Painfully room clearing loud in fact and it doesn't distort at all at volume. Sounds good with all types of music.... you'll be plenty happy.

So there you have it. Get one at this price. it sounds fine and looks way cool and when your neighbor gets you mad turn it up !

gootsmeister

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gootsmeister

No Bluetooth is a killer......or I'd have grabbed on last time it was on. It's so frickin bad ass looking. I saw these at Marshall's discount store last week. $199.

www.freehollowbooks.com Books of Carp

moonlitcherri

quality posts: 1 Private Messages moonlitcherri

There is a bluetooth version, it's FM only.
http://www.amazon.com/TDK-Life-Record-Wireless-Boombox/dp/B008VMT2DK

I like the looks of this one more. Just wish I had that kinda dough.

Knowledge is power, but only if you use it.

nebelhund

quality posts: 7 Private Messages nebelhund

I also bought one last time, the 3 speaker version, and have really enjoyed it. As an earlier commenter noted, you should do the firmware update. It was very very easy, took maybe 5 minutes, and that included downloading the update and quick formatting a usb memory stick. This corrects the occasional static through some inputs, and more importantly to me, removes the auto shutoff mode. If it isn't receiving a signal for some period of time it will shut down by default. (Turn it off and back on and good to go, but it was annoying.) This was changed to be an on/off option following the firmware update.

The sound quality and volume is great. When turned up fairly high you can feel it vibrating the floor, not just hear it across the house.

I'm picking up a second one for my son for Christmas as he loves mine so much.

HoboJoe427

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HoboJoe427

Can anyone confirm that this works with devices other than iPods/iPhones? Can I plug an 8.5mm headphone input into it, or is it USB only?

cmacclel

jaakkoleppo wrote:...wondering if this is fixed to 120V, or would it be a multivoltage supporting 120 and 230V (and work in Europe as well)...? (or how many D-cells I could use yearly playing at 50% volume for 6 hours per day..? ◕‿◕)

My power supply says AC100-240v so you should be good.

cmacclel

HoboJoe427 wrote:Can anyone confirm that this works with devices other than iPods/iPhones? Can I plug an 8.5mm headphone input into it, or is it USB only?

You can use this with instruments as it has a mixer built in when using the 1/4"port it also has a 1/8" port but you should have saw this in the specifications

HoboJoe427

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HoboJoe427
cmacclel wrote:You can use this with instruments as it has a mixer built in when using the 1/4"port it also has a 1/8" port but you should have saw this in the specifications

I was looking on Amazon and it said it works with iPods/iPhones and also has 'versatile' inputs. I'm so sorry Woot, I'll never spurn you again...

Thanks though. Definitely in for one.

janker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages janker
bolasdeferro wrote:I purchased the 2-speaker box the last time this deal was posted. Very impressed with both the quality of the box and sound!

Not sure if anyone has had this problem, but the volume button would sometimes turn itself lower at certain volumes. As if a mysterious ghost didn't like the music I was playing and wanted to turn the sound a bit. Weird.

Yep, had the same issue. The unit and sound are awesome, but that "volume ghost" is kind of bothersome. My workaround has been to pause the music, turn the volume up to 3/4 or full then turn it back to the volume I want.

miro93

quality posts: 0 Private Messages miro93

Requires 10 huge batteries? Yeah rightt
Would've been better if it was rechargeable through USB or something

nemethmic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nemethmic
miro93 wrote:Requires 10 huge batteries? Yeah rightt
Would've been better if it was rechargeable through USB or something

Well genius they screwed up. either get this as a good deal or move along and spend more to have a new version which has the battery built in. But remember that is weight you'll always to have to carry which will be "too heavy " and once that rechargeable battery wears out then what ?

grass is always greener right?

asianglow

quality posts: 2 Private Messages asianglow

better heavy... than lacking.

get outside and work them muscles! or buy this and practice your curls on the fly :P

it looks nice, sounds great; so stop complaining about the weight!