Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

MegaTom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MegaTom

HO! HO! HO!

alan0123

quality posts: 11 Private Messages alan0123

Can Anyone tell me if this Will Work with Regular MP4 Players (3.5mm stereo jack)

truefire7

quality posts: 3 Private Messages truefire7
alan0123 wrote:Can Anyone tell me if this Will Work with Regular MP4 Players (3.5mm stereo jack)

Yep, but not the advanced features. Just sound as usual.

f1vefour

quality posts: 0 Private Messages f1vefour
alan0123 wrote:Can Anyone tell me if this Will Work with Regular MP4 Players (3.5mm stereo jack)

Yes it will work with any device with the standard jack.

JSkrock629

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JSkrock629

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHL9705A-28-Headband-Headset/dp/B006WHPQD6

Amazon listing has a chart saying its a 3.5mm plug.

SaulB50

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SaulB50

Most likely. Sometimes earphones with a microphone will have issues with the contacts not lining up right on older devices not meant for headsets. But most of the time they work well for me.

rajuorbhikhu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rajuorbhikhu
f1vefour wrote:Yes it will work with any device with the standard jack.

I dont know about that....i thought the same, but did you see the link on the specs page: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/faqview?refnr=0091941&ctn=SHL9705A/28&dct=QAC&scy=us&slg=aen

???

hehthuryo

quality posts: 37 Private Messages hehthuryo

So nice to see an item made specifically for Android!

Droids are highly neglected. These headphones make R2D2 happy.

sl8763

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sl8763

Here's a review with pics:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/06/25/lightning-review-philips-shl9705a-on-ear-headphones-with-in-line-controls-and-control-app/

They look pretty classy. I'm definitely tempted and it's nice to see manufacturers showing some love to Android.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

hehthuryo wrote:So nice to see an item made specifically for Android!

Droids are highly neglected. These headphones make R2D2 happy.

Thank you for noticing!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

JSkrock629

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JSkrock629

A probably too lengthy YouTube review, but somewhat helpful.

I think I'm in at $20.

[Mod: Embedded the video]

tparadox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tparadox

Nice to see something for Android, and I like the price, but on-ear is a no-go for me. My ears get painfully crushed and heat up.

mowglie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mowglie

if using these on a PC running ubuntu, will the mic still work? i get that the audio out will through the earpieces since its a standard 3.5mm jack.

i dont need auto answer or whatever features. just mic that works ootb. not sure what inline mic & android only really mean?

bhiga

quality posts: 18 Private Messages bhiga
mowglie wrote:if using these on a PC running ubuntu, will the mic still work? i get that the audio out will through the earpieces since its a standard 3.5mm jack.

It's more than just the plug size. It has a 4-conductor 3.5mm plug. The mic runs off the 4th conductor.

That would make it work for alan0123 as well, though obviously the mic part would be useless.

Unless your PC has a 4-conductor 3.5mm jack (combined mic/L/R - aka TRRS), which is UNcommon in PC-land, then you're not going to get the mic to work.

You'll need to get an adapter that is the reverse gender of this one that will split the plug to a standard 3-conductor (TRS) stereo 3.5mm headphone plug and separate 3.5mm 2-or-3-conductor (TS or TRS) 3.5mm mic plug.

Oh, here's one on eBay that probably will fit the bill.

...unless the headset is doing something sneaky on the 4th conductor, like using it for data... Hmm...

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid
mowglie wrote:if using these on a PC running ubuntu, will the mic still work? i get that the audio out will through the earpieces since its a standard 3.5mm jack.

i dont need auto answer or whatever features. just mic that works ootb. not sure what inline mic & android only really mean?

It looks like many of the headset's features are enabled by an app. If there's an app for Ubuntu that enables this headset's features, you should be OK. But wouldn't a generic USB headset with a mic be a sure thing for you?

stevedog1

quality posts: 6 Private Messages stevedog1
editorkid wrote:It looks like many of the headset's features are enabled by an app. If there's an app for Ubuntu that enables this headset's features, you should be OK. But wouldn't a generic USB headset with a mic be a sure thing for you?

Incorrect. Firstly, The app is only available on Android, not PC and you can still use the heaset normally (for calls and music) without using the app (on an Android device). Secondly it's a hardware limitation of a PC's headset output that a software app cannot overcome (hence the second 3.5mm Microphone input on a PC).

So, the PC (Ubuntu) user can use this to listen to music (or with any other 3.5mm player) but will not be able to use the inline mic. The only way to do this would be to purchase a PC mic/headset adapter that combines both mic and headset PC inputs into one 3.5mm input in which to plug this Philips headset/mic into. A previous poster, "bhiga", above posted an eBay link to such an adapter.

Link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-5-Headset-Mic-3-5mm-Stereo-TRRS-Female-to-2-MaleTRS-iPhone-to-PC-cable-/290781193173

Good luck!

teldara

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teldara

Amazon reviews and video reviews says there's a lot of sound leakage.

stuntdriver

quality posts: 9 Private Messages stuntdriver

In for one with my Jumbowoot coupon. Haven't had a nice set of headphones in years and these look like they will compliment my Droid DNA nicely.

Plus I don't like spending a lot and the price was right!

Thanks for another great deal woot!

• World of WootCrap lv5 07/11/14
  • Bag of Shirt Crap 7/11/14
  • Personal Facebook Crap 6/25/14
  • 12 Days of Crapness 12/8/13
  • in-your-crapday-suit 7/12/12
  • Big ol' Catapult 4/26/12
  • Big ol' Catapult 3/22/12
  • Big ol' Catapult 6/15/11
  • Random Crap (Level 8) 4/1/11
  • Random Crap (Level 2) 4/1/11
  • Random Crap 10/21/10
  • Random Crap 9/22/10
  • Random Crap 8/20/10
  • Adventure Crap 4/1/10
  • Random Crap 1/28/10
  • Santa’s Sack O’ Crap 12/25/09
  • Random Crap 12/25/08
  • Random Crap 6/20/08
  • Random Crap 4/1/08
  • Sansa e250 11/5/07 (The one that started it all!)

nextcity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nextcity
stuntdriver wrote:In for one with my Jumbowoot coupon. Haven't had a nice set of headphones in years and these look like they will compliment my Droid DNA nicely.

I too just got the new HTC Droid DNA. As our new phone has Beats Audio built in (with its own separate amplifier specifically for the headphone out jack), it would be absolutely tragic to use such a low end pair of headphones with the DNA.

stuntdriver

nextcity wrote:I too just got the new HTC Droid DNA. As our new phone has Beats Audio built in (with its own separate amplifier specifically for the headphone out jack), it would be absolutely tragic to use such a low end pair of headphones with the DNA.

That's what I was thinking. I like that these have black with red accents as well

Wish I would have known that I was going to get this phone and its inductive charging capabilities. I would have jumped on the Target clearance of the Energizer pads a few months back.

(hear that woot, give us a great deal on a qi charger please)

And finding a case for it has been a challenge, I settled for the Body Glove one that can be found on eBay for less then $15

• Random Crap 10/21/10
  • Random Crap 9/22/10
  • Random Crap 8/20/10
  • Adventure Crap 4/1/10
  • Random Crap 1/28/10
  • Random Crap 12/25/08
  • Random Crap 6/20/08
  • Random Crap 4/1/08

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll

Philips SHL9705A/28 Stereo Headband Headset - Price Comparison

WOOT PRICE TODAY = $19.99 + $5 shipping. Total, $24.99

Amazon = $45.86 + ships free
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHL9705A-28-Headband-Headset/dp/B006WHPQD6

ebay = $42.00 + ships free
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILIPS-for-ANDROID-w-mic-HEADPHONES-SHL9705A-28-HEADBAND-HEADSET-New-BLACK-RED-/150956717864?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2325b8b728

WOOT offer best deal when compared with a $17.01 in savings

NOTE:
only two other vendors were used for this comparison. I try to always list at least three but it seems if you are looking for these, you are going to find them listed on Amazon, ebay, and WOOT and it is difficult to find other suppliers.

Comparison pricing were found through a random Gooble search. You own independent search may find different and/or lower prices

AZScott

quality posts: 2 Private Messages AZScott
JSkrock629 wrote:

A probably too lengthy YouTube review, but somewhat helpful.

I think I'm in at $20.

[Mod: Embedded the video]

SOMEWHAT TOO LENGTHY??? OH MY GOD!!!

I kept waiting for him to say something that did not relate to a feature that "Beats by Dre" (which on the lowest end MSRPs @ $200) had or didn't have.

It looks like a great deal because at the 9 minute mark the video producer let me find out that they are actually 2 way headphones and have a mic and not only a button for control. Even though the WOOT ad says it is made for ANDROID devices it is not clear that they work 2way with a Mic input for phone calls and such.

It has a MIC.

[Hey MOD... From my house it looks like Sony (or producer) does not want this video played from the Woot site.]

I have had many ANDROID devices and have found that if it works on iPhone it (for me has always) worked on Android. I am guessing the opposite is true as well and since I am now one of those dreaded iPhone users I guess...

...I am in for one!

theGrape

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theGrape

These look pretty nice and have the memory foam on the speaker cushions. I bought two similar headsets last month for my Galaxy S3 that I like.
Wicked Audio WI8152 HEADPHONES with mic cost me $8 shipped and Turtle Beach Ear Force M5 Silver Mobile Gaming Headset with mic cost $25 shipped. I like the sound on both of them. I am very particular and have $100 cans for home use. These both compare very favorably, but are small enough for my backpack.

Sadly, it looks like the current prices are little higher.

fuzi719

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fuzi719
AZScott wrote:I have had many ANDROID devices and have found that if it works on iPhone it (for me has always) worked on Android.

iPhone and Android headset compatibility is not always interchangeable. I purchased a set of iBeats earplugs that were noted "For iPhone/iPad/iPod". On my Android phone I could hear audio just fine, but the only button that worked was the pause/play. Also, the mic did not function correctly, callers would only hear a very loud BZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Testing them on my friend's iPhone, they worked perfectly. So, I sold them to him and I bought some urBeats earplugs made for Android. They function correctly, mic included.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin

I know 10% less than nothing about these things but I assume since these are for an android device they would not work on an xbox 360 ?

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 37 Private Messages jiggersgreen

The reviews on Amazon seem to indicate they work with some iphones and ipads.

k87

quality posts: 2 Private Messages k87
sl8763 wrote:Here's a review with pics:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/06/25/lightning-review-philips-shl9705a-on-ear-headphones-with-in-line-controls-and-control-app/

Thanks for the review. I will pass. The review says:

I've yet to use an in-line microphone that I like. They all pretty much suck, and Philips' probably sucks a little more than some of the other ones I've used in my time.

Single-button controls on any headphone are stupidly slow to respond to actions. I don't know why this is, and it seems to be a universal affliction among Android headsets. I don't like it - I demand instant gratification!

offspeedkills

quality posts: 1 Private Messages offspeedkills

Woot always has other alternatives to make me rethink a purchase....ok I have some Wal-Mart specials ansd I am looking to upgrade...I am mostly going to use these headphones with my laptop and phone (droid razr....so these are perfect for my phone) BUT I am going to do some flying for the holidays....if these have a lot of noise leakage....I doubt they would be of much use on the plane...

I was going to buy these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NUYW92/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=A12KEZCG9I0IOM until I checked Woot this morning...

Thoughts??? I need to put and order in for either TODAY.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

These are clearly not sound isolating. First of all, you need FULL seals around the entire ear to even begin to isolate, and since these don't have active noise cancelation, they won't do much more than winter earmuffs would re. sound reduction.

The AblePlanet Linx headphones that woot! sold a while back do both, and are better than Bose, IMHO. These are just over ear versions of earbuds.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

AySz88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AySz88
bhiga wrote:You'll need to get an adapter that is the reverse gender of this one that will split the plug to a standard 3-conductor (TRS) stereo 3.5mm headphone plug and separate 3.5mm 2-or-3-conductor (TS or TRS) 3.5mm mic plug.

Oh, here's one on eBay that probably will fit the bill.

I found this one for $3 less. (Found by searching for "headset to PC" in the U.S.) I think it's the same - it mentions Droid, but not TRRS - but please correct me if I'm wrong.

[edit] Oh, and thanks for the info! It's pretty much sold this for me (I'll probably use it mainly for PC/laptop, with the Android compatibility a big bonus.)

[edit 2] The one I bought doesn't work! Not sure what's wrong - might be just a bad one, or maybe it's the wrong type.

[edit 3] It only needed an exchange. Whew, was worried I'd led people astray there.

SvenJ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SvenJ
jiggersgreen wrote:The reviews on Amazon seem to indicate they work with some iphones and ipads.

Not saying that's not what they say, but how could they work with some iphones/ipads. They all have the same jack arrangement. Typically sound and mic do work between iphone and other devices, and the multifunction button (pause/play) normally works, but the volume up/down absolutely will not. Apple uses a proprietary technique for that and you wouldn't license that if you aren't building for iThings. That is Android phones don't use the Apple standard, and earphones 'made for iPhone' don't work completely on non-iPhones.

ajswoot1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajswoot1
jmbunkin wrote:I know 10% less than nothing about these things but I assume since these are for an android device they would not work on an xbox 360 ?

trying to figure out the same thing. i picked up the Razer xbox controller on woot recently and the standard xbox headset won't fit into that controller.

think i might pick up a set anyway and fingers crossed. will use them for my galaxy s3 at least

nextcity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nextcity
stuntdriver wrote:That's what I was thinking. I like that these have black with red accents as well

Wish I would have known that I was going to get this phone and its inductive charging capabilities. I would have jumped on the Target clearance of the Energizer pads a few months back.

(hear that woot, give us a great deal on a qi charger please)

And finding a case for it has been a challenge, I settled for the Body Glove one that can be found on eBay for less then $15

Amazon has the Verizon branded LG WCP-700 QI wireless charger for $34.95. It is worth every penny. I have yet to even open the silly plastic cover over the DNA's micro USB port.

jiggersgreen

SvenJ wrote:Not saying that's not what they say, but how could they work with some iphones/ipads. They all have the same jack arrangement. Typically sound and mic do work between iphone and other devices, and the multifunction button (pause/play) normally works, but the volume up/down absolutely will not. Apple uses a proprietary technique for that and you wouldn't license that if you aren't building for iThings. That is Android phones don't use the Apple standard, and earphones 'made for iPhone' don't work completely on non-iPhones.

Whatever...I bought two to use across both platforms and will see for myself.If it doesn't work for that I have a huge stock of MP-3 players from Woot to experiment with.

bhiga

quality posts: 18 Private Messages bhiga
jmbunkin wrote:I know 10% less than nothing about these things but I assume since these are for an android device they would not work on an xbox 360 ?

The headset that came with my Xbox 360 is 2.5mm (this headset is 3.5mm) AND it's TRS (3-conductor) rather than TRRS (4-conductor) like this is.

At the very least it will need a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter. Not sure if it will need TRRS-TRS conversion. Depends on the Xbox pinout.

Let us know.

jiggersgreen

Pretty good info on connectors here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)

lstaff

quality posts: 202 Private Messages lstaff

I think it's more like "Bye, Bye 'buy3buy3buy3' "

buy3buy3buy wrote:=====

okayannajo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages okayannajo
stuntdriver wrote:In for one with my Jumbowoot coupon. Haven't had a nice set of headphones in years and these look like they will compliment my Droid DNA nicely.

O.K. I'd like to know how you get a Woot coupon. I've spent a good amount of moola on Woot stuff. Do you get the coupons from Woot for spending a certain amount of moola? I always wonder everytime I buy something & I see that "Add Coupon" box. Anyone know how I can get a Woot coupon?

JKR

stuntdriver

nextcity wrote:Amazon has the Verizon branded LG WCP-700 QI wireless charger for $34.95. It is worth every penny. I have yet to even open the silly plastic cover over the DNA's micro USB port.

Missed out on that one too! I kept searching and searching and finally snagged a Nokia Plate on eBay searching newly listed for $40 shipped. These things are taking off and not enough supply for the demand.

• Random Crap 10/21/10
  • Random Crap 9/22/10
  • Random Crap 8/20/10
  • Adventure Crap 4/1/10
  • Random Crap 1/28/10
  • Random Crap 12/25/08
  • Random Crap 6/20/08
  • Random Crap 4/1/08