WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Should police be allowed to search cell phones?
  • 13.4% - No, never. 281
  • 13.3% - Yes, with probable cause. 280
  • 63.1% - Yes, with a warrant. 1327
  • 10.2% - Not unless they want to see a LOT of pictures of my cat. 214
2102 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ardubu

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ardubu

If the police pull someone over for driving eratic - they should be able to see if that snowman was texting.

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid

It shouldn't be illegal to text and drive. It should be illegal to text and drive and then committing another traffic infraction. You will never legislate common sense. Or give me the right and ability to pull over police whom I see text and drive on a regular basis. Or ones typing on their laptops and driving. Or smoking while driving. Or not wearing their seat belts.

The fourth amendment protects us against illegal search and seizures without warrants issued. It should already be illegal for the police to search your cell phone without a warrant.

Also, never self incriminate yourself. Exercise your 5th amendment right to not incriminate yourself. Sometimes an officer is just waiting on you to incriminate yourself for a ticket.

Of course, sometimes if you're honest, it will get you out of a ticket too because honesty is refreshing.

Flex your constitutional rights.

Suck it, Trebek.

olon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages olon
ardubu wrote:If the police pull someone over for driving eratic - they should be able to see if that snowman was texting.

I've never seen a person be more wrong.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah
olon wrote:I've never seen a person be more wrong.

You haven't been paying attention since 2001-09-11. :-/

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

busybusy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages busybusy

It is so wild to me how many people say "yes". Really? You want even LESS privacy in your life?

~The big man just dropped this big hammer on the northwest tip, and I'm reading the mail.~

averum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages averum

Yes with a warrant.

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma

Who said anything about driving? There are a lot of reasons police would want to check out a cell phone. If they have a warrant, sure but not with only probable cause. Thats just a made up reason to touch my stuff.

The texting ban is stupid because there are plenty of other ways that cell phone usage is still legal (GPS) and still gets people killed.

privacy? seriously? Do you think that's a real thing anymore? Anyone can find out anything about you that they want to know, and its not by looking at your cell phone.

kenph2oski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenph2oski

It does not matter. Are buddies at the NSA/CSS are listening...Long Live Big Brother!!!

dipdac

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dipdac

no no no no no.

we aren't in third grade where the teacher can just snatch up a note and read it out loud to the class.

ladyloerya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladyloerya

I chose with probable cause because I was thinking in terms of serious situations like drug busts or violent cases. I wasn't thinking in terms of driving or just going about my day to day routine. In THAT case, with all that in mind, I respectfully change to WITH A WARRANT.

I was picturing a case like my step daughter who is always doing something majorly illegal. Recently she and her fiancee left their friend who was ODing laying on my husband's ex-wife's floor as they left. My step-daughter's mother was freaking out worried about the guy and her daughter said "he ain't MY friend" as they left him there to die. People/situations that get to that point - if the guy had died or something - definitely search the chick's phone and charge her with everything you can. Was she texting friends and laughing about the guy as he lay dying? Who knows - check her phone and lock her up. THAT was what I was thinking when I chose probable cause.