kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark
cmagdy119 wrote:Keyboard on ben's outlet for 69.99

I know - that's why I thought (rather hoped) this might be priced at $230 instead of $250. $250 + $70 = $320. I think I'd rather hold out for the next woot with the keyboard for $299.

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

Been in the computer business all of my adult life and can tell you ASUS makes good stuff. Bottom line...good hardware, good software, good price. Would buy in a heartbeat if I wasn't up to my eyeballs in tablets already.

morriea

quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea
richg0404 wrote:Sorry, I just want some clarification. Is there an sd slot or is there just an adapter that plugs in and hangs on ?

Built-in microSD card slot for up to 32GB.

Smitelight

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Smitelight
chrisautrey wrote:Here is a direct compare. They are both good. I like the bigger 10" screen, but some like the 7" for portability.

http://tablets.techcrunch.com/compare/134-152/Nexus-7-vs-ASUS-Transformer-Pad-TF300

It should also be noted that the Nexus 7 and its bigger 10" brother are dramatically slicker machines. Both in software and function. The Nexus 10 is completely Open Source for every driver and every line of code, save for a couple specific GPU drivers. What that means for the layman is this: developers are improving and adapting the device on a daily basis. The hardware is obscenely powerful for the price brand new.

tldr; If you're looking for a tablet, check out the Nexus 7/10 devices. They're far more future-proof than the older Transformer. (Nothing is actually future-proof)

------------------------------------------------

morriea wrote:Built-in microSD card slot for up to 32GB.

Company legalese states 32GB; in practice, the SanDisk class-10 64GB microSDHC cards are fully supported in any Gingerbread or later Android OS for this device (and most others).

Smitelight

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Smitelight

Nevermind, delete me, Mods!

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
rangerlg wrote:If you have flash installed prior to the update, you it will still work after.

Thanks!

garbyrator

quality posts: 3 Private Messages garbyrator

The TF300 and TF700 keyboards are NOT interchangeable.

The TF300 also seems to get all the updates to new OS before the TF700, so if you want to be on the front line of updates, this is the tablet for you.

I would bet most of the refurbs are due to screen issues. My TF700 has some blurred pixels and a bubble from the glass manufacturing, so I'll be returning my under warranty . . .

If you are considering a Nexus, you really should be considering the Nexus 10 not the 7 in comparison to this tablet (both 10.1 screen.) For $299, you can get a 16 gb new tablet, that's got the HIGHEST resolution of any tablet (including the wondrous "retina display.") If my in-laws weren't buying my wife a tablet for Xmas, I'd be buying that for her.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but you always Woot.

Demersal

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Demersal

Got mine 3 days ago, it is a seriously nice machine! It has a high quality look and feel, not plastic/junky at all.It made my wife with her ipad II jealous. I really just went for it over the nexus 7" because the deal was so tempting, but this is going to be my main gadget for a while. The larger size and keypad make a world of difference to my older hands and eyes. Dumping a kindle and a laptop. Setup was a snap, it found all my google/android life and synched it in a few minutes, and it fit easily into an old leather executive brief with room for the charger and a few peripherals. With the hdmi out and sound out this is going to be my media server at home and on my desk. I would go for the keyboard just to make the transition smoother for us old school users, but the touch functionality makes the touchpad redundant. My only gripe so far is that the power button is too easy to hit when using it as a kindle.

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad
franksmith wrote:Sams has it new... not refirb for $28 more and free shipping

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/10inch-tablet-transformer-pad/prod8110283.ip?refcd=GL05251200010028&pid=_CSE_Google_PLA_Office-Electronics&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=sku8704283S

[MOD: But out of stock online so free shipping won't matter]

And out of stock at any of the stores in my area as well.

cymbalmonkey

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cymbalmonkey

So should I go for the Nexus 10 over this instead? I'm a high demand user.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

GlobalT38

quality posts: 1 Private Messages GlobalT38
Smitelight wrote:Nevermind, delete me, Mods!

Smitelight - did above relate to below or something else? If below is true might cause me to overcome last bit of resistance and pull the trigger...

Company legalese states 32GB; in practice, the SanDisk class-10 64GB microSDHC cards are fully supported in any Gingerbread or later Android OS for this device (and most others).

soontobepcv1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soontobepcv1

Is this with the blue back? Hard to tell from the picture...

gak0090

Smitelight wrote:Company legalese states 32GB; in practice, the SanDisk class-10 64GB microSDHC cards are fully supported in any Gingerbread or later Android OS for this device (and most others).

I think you are referring to SDXC cards (for 64 gb), and even though the OS supports it- there is no guarantee that the hardware on the device supports it. As far as I know only the Toshiba Thrive states that it has SDXC compatibility- and even then you have to be careful which card you use. But if you have a link that proves me wrong - please respond, because I can always use some schoolin'. The excerpt below makes it sound like it may be compatible in some devices rated for SDHC 32 gb, but you may have to reformat the card to FAT32 and the host device would need to support it.

Compatibility with SDHC
SDXC host devices accept all previous families of SD memory cards.[26] Conversely, SDHC host devices accept SDXC cards that follow Version 3.0, since the interface is identical,[3] but the following issues may affect usability:
SDXC cards are pre-formatted with Microsoft's proprietary and patented exFAT file system, which the host device might not support. Since Microsoft does not publish the specifications of exFAT and its use requires a non-free license, many alternative or older operating systems do not support exFAT for technical or legal reasons. The use of exFAT on some SDXC cards may render SDXC unsuitable as a universal exchange medium, as an SDXC card that uses exFAT would not be usable in all host devices. Since the FAT32 file system supports volumes up to the SDXC's maximum theoretical capacity of 2 TB as well, a user could reformat an SDXC card to use FAT32 for greater portability between computers (see below). FAT32-formatted SDXC cards can be used in a host device built for SDHC if the host device can handle 64 GB and larger volumes.
SDHC host devices do not test the new capability bits defined for SDXC 4.0 cards and thus cannot use the new features of SDXC, such as transfer speeds above UHS104 (104 MB/s).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

morriea

soontobepcv1 wrote:Is this with the blue back? Hard to tell from the picture...

Mine is blue from the previous WOOT!

ChrisM510

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChrisM510

The JB update is also available on the Asus website...

kcmark

timmyshitz wrote:It says it is for the TF201. Will it work with the TF300T?

The Prime can use the TF300 keyboard but the TF300 does not really work with the Prime keyboard. It WILL fit and make a connection but it's my understanding that there are parts of the connector on the TF300 that are strained when trying to use a Prime keyboard with it and that it will not fully lock in place. If it were me I would not use a Prime keyboard with the TF300 for this reason.

gak0090

soontobepcv1 wrote:Is this with the blue back? Hard to tell from the picture...

Blue...
It only comes in these colors, Royal Blue, Iceberg White and Torch Red:
http://www.asus.com/Tablet/Transformer_Pad/ASUS_Transformer_Pad_TF300T/

kcmark

ghostofdavid wrote:Also wondering if this is > than Nexus 7.

it depends on your needs. If you want maximum portability and slightly better build quality, then get the Nexus 7. If you prefer more screen real estate and/or a microsd slot or HDMI out then go with this. Having used a 7 inch tablet I'd much prefer to have a 10 incher for around the house and stick with my phone while on the go.

note2001

quality posts: 25 Private Messages note2001

Daughter needs something light to bring to class - just not sure if I'll hunt down another small screen laptop with an i3/i5 or drop processing expectations and get her this.

Anyone have any experience using one of these for etextbooks?

tmiller19711

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmiller19711

Mine arrived yesterday (to Delaware); lovin' it.

ThunderThighs wrote:Yeah, it sold the day before Thanksgiving so the orders would have been released to the vendor on Friday. While often faster, we do ask that you allow 5 business days for processing and shipping. Today is the 5th business day. It just seems longer because of Thanksgiving.

If you look in the thread, people are starting to receive them so yours should be there soon.

If it still says awaiting shipping, it means that we're still waiting on that tracking file from the vendor.

Linzeey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Linzeey
MaxAwesome wrote:Wasn't this just on here with the keyboard dock as well for the same price? I think I'll wait for the next Woot-Off....

It was $50 more for the dock.

Linzeey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Linzeey
note2001 wrote:Daughter needs something light to bring to class - just not sure if I'll hunt down another small screen laptop with an i3/i5 or drop processing expectations and get her this.

I've used a netbook and a tablet for etext books and can tell you that the tablet is easier to deal with in a classroom environment.

chase60now

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chase60now
hcbrf3 wrote:I was pretty impressed with their prices, until I noticed all that is usually not included. No power cable?

What's not included? AC Adapter USB Cable Headphones Cleaning Cloth Carrying Case Owners Manuals

Why is TF201 older?? It has better specs and made out of metal, thinner, and lighter...also retails for about $150 more than TF300...

nola2172

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nola2172

We bought 2 of these for my wife and I over the past weekend (for slightly more, but they were new). In my use so far, I can tell you that it works well and the screen resolution is nice. If you are planning to type much of anything - get the keyboard and get the right one (one matched for this product, not something close). I would not bother with the one I have seen in the comments - if it doesn't match, then just get a bluetooth keyboard for a lot cheaper. For some points of comparison (i.e. the major differences) to other models that are similar:

TF700 (also from ASUS)
-Faster clock (1.5Ghz instead of 1.2Ghz on TF300)
-Brighter screen (can be used outside)
-More durable screen (at least allegedly)
-Cost of about $100-$150 more.

Nexus 10 (from Samsung)
-Newer Exynos 5 processor that is faster
-Extremely high screen resolution (higher than newest Ipad)
-No keyboard docking
-5W charging over USB
-$400 (and won't be on sale anywhere for a while)

I should note that the TF300 uses a custom cable to do the charging, but this allows it to charge at 10W, which given that the batter is a 22W-hour battery, means it charges from zero to almost full in only a couple of hours. The keyboard has an 16.5W-hour batter that can "feed" the tablet, so it charges in about 1.5 hours. Also, this has the Tegra 3 processor (not the Tegra 2 or other last generation processors), so it is still the "current" stuff. I would not buy anything (personal preference) that did not have a current version of processor.

Finally, we looked at the size issue when buying this, and you will end up with around 12GB of space for you to use. Micro SD cards are fairly cheap, so if you really need more space for media (I don't think I would put apps on the plug-in card, but media is the only thing that really sucks up space), just buy one and plug it in.

gak0090

note2001 wrote:Daughter needs something light to bring to class - just not sure if I'll hunt down another small screen laptop with an i3/i5 or drop processing expectations and get her this.

There is a multitude of apps that will do etextbooks, the resolution is plenty high enough , IPS screen, lighter and better battery life than what an I3 or I5- and an optional keyboard dock for that laptop experience. This should be able to suffice for most operations your daughter might need, but without know all of the curriculum- it's hard not know if she needs any other functionality that only windows might provide.

newgen87

quality posts: 1 Private Messages newgen87
chase60now wrote:Why is TF201 older?? It has better specs and made out of metal, thinner, and lighter...also retails for about $150 more than TF300...

The tf201 only has the Tegra 2 processor and not the Tegra 3 like the 300t. The 201 is also not newer and has serious issues with wifi and gps. You definately want the Tegra 3 as some of the games require it.

thegrandpappy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thegrandpappy

I've got the T201, which isn't much different than this thing. I love these tablets, I think they're far superior to my wife's iPad. But then again, I'm biased.

They are responsive, with a huge selection of apps. And the list is growing.

morriea

newgen87 wrote:The tf201 only has the Tegra 2 processor and not the Tegra 3 like the 300t. The 201 is also not newer and has serious issues with wifi and gps. You definately want the Tegra 3 as some of the games require it.

TF201 has the SAME processor as this. The TF101 has the Tegra 2.

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad
cmagdy119 wrote:Keyboard on ben's outlet for 69.99

Never tried this Ben's Outlet but it has a pretty bad reputation (marginal reviews and a F rating from the Better Business Bureau)

Wish there were somewhere else to get the keyboard dock for cheaper.

confused15

quality posts: 7 Private Messages confused15
msienkiewicz wrote:Hoping it is still on the way, that someone didn't swipe it from my doorstep!

You just had to go there.

confused15

quality posts: 7 Private Messages confused15
GlobalT38 wrote:Here's a question I'd like some input on - Looks like you can currently buy a brand new 32GB model out there for aprox $100 more. Is the "brand-newness" and double built in storage (would then be up to 64GB with micro SD) worth the $100 or inconsequential? I've been eyeing the 32 GB one thinking it would see a big drop when the 700 comes out but now this woot comes along and....

My take is no, If you need to store a lot of heavy data on it (primarily 1080p video) then maybe, but that's why the 32gb external storage option is available. As for the newness... that device may just one day become a refurb that one of use picks up off here. just a thought

chase60now

newgen87 wrote:The tf201 only has the Tegra 2 processor and not the Tegra 3 like the 300t. The 201 is also not newer and has serious issues with wifi and gps. You definately want the Tegra 3 as some of the games require it.

Check the specs...TF201 has Tegra 3 Quad +1 processor. Everything is superior to TF300 except the price.

thegrandpappy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thegrandpappy

They have the same processor.

But you're right about the wifi. The 300t supposedly fixed the problems I've got with the wifi on my 201.

chase60now

Also TF201 has flash on rear camera...better resolution/brighter...lighter...thinner...even specs or better on others

phil1957

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phil1957

Question - is this a "A" or "B" verison? I couldnt find it under specs or description - did i miss it?
i.e. TF300T-A1 or TF300T-B1

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii
hcbrf3 wrote:I was pretty impressed with their prices, until I noticed all that is usually not included. No power cable?

What's not included? AC Adapter USB Cable Headphones Cleaning Cloth Carrying Case Owners Manuals

You probably already have everything you need to charge it by using a charger from a mp3 or cell phone.Manuals can be downloaded. All the missing items combined aren't worth $10!

morriea

chase60now wrote:Check the specs...TF201 has Tegra 3 Quad +1 processor. Everything is superior to TF300 except the price.

This is the processor on this and the Prime (TF201)

"NVIDIA® Tegra® 3 4-Plus-1™ Quad Core CPU"

They are EXACTLY THE SAME except the 201 (Prime) is overclocked vs. this one. I have checked the specs. The main difference is no flash for the camera and no IPS+ display (IPS only) on the 300.

crz142

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crz142

This is a great tablet. I love mine, I think it would be an awesome gift.

richg0404

quality posts: 2 Private Messages richg0404
Demonius wrote:The specs on the main page say

Interface:
(1) 2-in-1 Audio Jack (Headphone / Mic-in)
(1) micro HDMI
(1) microSDHC Card Reader (up to 32GB)

and it looks to be built in from the pictures.

Yup, thats what I saw in the review video too. My problem is their wording. "microSDHC Card Reader" sounds like an external adapter to me.

I'm in for one for a Christmas present.

bstu185

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bstu185
garbyrator wrote:
If you are considering a Nexus, you really should be considering the Nexus 10 not the 7 in comparison to this tablet (both 10.1 screen.) For $299, you can get a 16 gb new tablet, that's got the HIGHEST resolution of any tablet (including the wondrous "retina display.") .

Nexus 10 is $399 for the 16gb...