3%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

bustersnurse

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bustersnurse

Have one. Love it. Sure wish we hadn't paid almost $60 for it. Really good deal.

susanrm

quality posts: 15 Private Messages susanrm

I really enjoyed this Eton product that arrived just before Superstorm Sandy hit, and that made me feel all ready for it. Lucky me, though, nothing happened to my own house. My parents were hit hard and lost power for weeks, however. I am tempted to make this a holiday gift for them in case they are stuck without power again. The Eton products seem to be well made and sturdy.

*Honest 200 Member* Sept. 2012 x2

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Sorry for the problems some of you are having with the sites. The Developers are working hard to get things working for everyone.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

therealjrn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages therealjrn
ThunderThighs wrote:Sorry for the problems some of you are having with the sites. The Developers are working hard to get things working for everyone.

But will I be able to play the piano?

1st Birthday of Celebrations finally! Happy 10th Woot!

thumperchick

quality posts: 234 Private Messages thumperchick

I have a crank power radio similar to this. It's invaluable in an emergency. If you don't have one in your emergency kit, buy one. If you don't have an emergency kit, start one. If you have both... carry on, my wayward son.

chiefmojorison

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chiefmojorison

I recently purchased the flashlight version of this product, mainly for the USB charger built in. While the charger is functional, it only charges a device while the crank is actively being turned. The battery in the gadget is not used to power the USB charger.

gertiestn

quality posts: 53 Private Messages gertiestn

I ordered this just 11/20 on one of the Woot!Plus sites...for $35.00. It was allegedly just shipped to me today. Good move, Woot.

Damned good things the Redskins won tonight, I gotta say.

glindshops

quality posts: 2 Private Messages glindshops

The reviews aren't very good on REI.com, either....
http://www.rei.com/product/791889/eton-american-red-cross-solarlink-fr360-radio

And I was looking for one that was both solar and crank powered.

etherium

quality posts: 23 Private Messages etherium

Placed an order but decided to cancel it. I was going to give these as gifts but I don't want to give people something is undependable in an emergency situation.

Looking at the reviews I've never understood why products will have such a large discrepancy in the reviews, with some people having great success with the product and other people not. Could be that manufacturing standards are lower now? No doubt these things are made in China.

tc1uscg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg

This radio is a POS. Got one for xmas. Antenna pulled out so now it won't stay up. It eats batteries. had to replace the rechargable battery. Solar is all but useless and it's RF sensitivity is really bad (even before the attenna broke). The crank works but plan on a few hours of cranking if you want to chage a usb connected cell phone. WORTHLESS>

TC1 USCG Ret

skrymir

quality posts: 3 Private Messages skrymir

I bought the white one of these a while back. The first time I pulled the antenna up, it slid right out and fell apart. Without an antenna I am not sure what good it is, maybe a wind up flashlight? This is one of very few things I think was a total waste of money.

chadwsmith

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chadwsmith
glindshops wrote:And I was looking for one that was both solar and crank powered.

This is Solar and Crank powered...

Read my blog or, you know, don't. It's up to you.

gertiestn

quality posts: 53 Private Messages gertiestn

I can assure you of this: now that the price has gone from the $35.00 I paid to $19.99, mine will be crank powered.

plink22lr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plink22lr

I paid $35 shipped for this on a previous woot and the have had no problems with it at all. It sits in a sunny window and gets played 3-4 hours a day on the solar charged battery alone. I keep a pack of AAA's handy in case of emergencyies but they're collecting dust for now.

mlgt24

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mlgt24

Ouch! This radio is really getting a bad rap - here are my experiences with it ...

I bought a Solarlink FR360 emergency radio by Eton from L.L.Bean a few years ago (it appears to be the same as this, just in a different color and without the Red Cross logo).

My favorite feature on the radio is the "ALERT" setting which I find very helpful living in the Midwest. I keep the NOAA radio tuned to my local station and if/when there is an emergency broadcast, the radio will turn itself on. I keep this radio in my bedroom and can hear it on the other side of the house when it goes off (volume is adjustable). My NOAA station is clear with great reception.

The AM/FM radio is decent (one should not expect symphony sounds from an emergency radio). I haven't had any trouble with the antenna when I have used it. The flashlight is bright and has different settings (a constant white light and a flashing red light). Yes it does take some effort to generate power by the hand-crank - but it is there if you run out of other options (electricity, sun, or batteries). I did order the ac adapter from Eton (not included) and just keep it plugged in all the time (which charges the rechargeable battery).

I am very happy with my radio! When L.L.Bean offered a smaller version, I bought two (one for each car). I would not hesitate to buy this radio again if I needed another.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll

Price Comparisons - Who Wins?

Today on Woot = $24.99 shipped for 1. ($19.99 + $5 shipping)

Amazon = $49.32 ships free
http://www.amazon.com/American-ARCFR360R-Solarlink-Self-Powered-Flashlight/dp/B001QTXKDI

Cabela's = $39.99 + free in store pickup or home delivery extra shipping charges.
http://www.cabelas.com/emergency-radios-etn-red-cross-fr360-emergency-radio-1.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=Shopzilla&WT.z_mc_id1=719995&rid=40&mr:referralID=b692701a-3553-11e2-8751-001b2166c2c0

MWave = $42.00 + shipping
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch.asp?scriteria=AB01426&pagetitle=Eton%20American%20Red%20Cross%20FR360%20SolarLink%20Self-Powered%20AM

Home Depot = $59.99 + ships free
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=203327986&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&PID=2242988&cm_mmc=CJ%2d%5f%2d2242988%2d%5f%2d10368321&SID=19991081&AID=10368321&cj=true

**Woot Wins**
Woot stands out with this deal as the next closest price is close to double after factoring in shipping.

**NOTE**
Prices as listed are a sampling as I could find in a food faith web search. These reflect also the best lowest advertised price I could find. As it is impossible to search every possible sale you may find a lower price on your own web search.

knalty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages knalty

I have one of these, and I am not a fan of it. Charging the radio either involves cranking, using the solar panel on the top, or plugging it into an outlet using an AC adapter.

The solar panel is barely serviceable at best, cranking becomes tedious, and it doesn't come with an AC adapter. That will cost you an additional $10. The dial for tuning radio station is also inconsistent, with the station sometimes jumping backwards or stuttering in place when turned. It's also a very short crank, and kind of uncomfortable.

There is a newer model, the FRX3, which I would endorse over this. It has been updated to acknowledge the realities of living in 2012, as instead of using an AC adapter, it has an mini USB port, that is used with many modern cell phone chargers, making it easy to juice it up from more places in an emergency. I do wish that it used a micro USB port instead, which is what cell phones are moving to now, which would mean that the same cable could be used to both charge the radio, as well as charge phones, but let's face it, USB cables are vastly easier to source and plug into, say, a car outlet using an adapter, as opposed to needing to find an inverter.

Still, at the time, it was a pretty good purchase, although I've never had to use it for its intended purpose yet. Hopefully, I never have to.

justafreak

quality posts: 11 Private Messages justafreak
bustersnurse wrote:Have one. Love it. Sure wish we hadn't paid almost $60 for it. Really good deal.

You and me both....I'm gonna buy this one for a Christmas present I think though.

.rev - 325.unique.woots / 567.total.items - woot is where the crap is.

papernoose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages papernoose

I am in for 1 as a christmas gift. If it works during just one black out, I will be satisfied.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

ssand23

quality posts: 16 Private Messages ssand23

Can I charge my iPhone with this? And if I got this as a gift for my mom, could she charge her Blackberry? I'm seeing the USB port so I'm thinking charging the iPhone might be possible but not sure about the Blackberry. Thanks!

jtz77

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jtz77
ssand23 wrote:Can I charge my iPhone with this?

And what about other smart phones? Will it work for a Blackberry or Galaxy?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gertiestn wrote:I ordered this just 11/20 on one of the Woot!Plus sites...for $35.00. It was allegedly just shipped to me today. Good move, Woot.

Damned good things the Redskins won tonight, I gotta say.

plink22lr wrote:I paid $35 shipped for this on a previous woot and the have had no problems with it at all. It sits in a sunny window and gets played 3-4 hours a day on the solar charged battery alone. I keep a pack of AAA's handy in case of emergencyies but they're collecting dust for now.

Just to clear things up. We have never sold this model before.

The $35 one some of you are referring to was the PT300.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kbd517

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kbd517
jtz77 wrote:And what about other smart phones? Will it work for a Blackberry or Galaxy?

It should, as you can plug any regular usb cable into it, regardless of the plug on the other end.

jtz77

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jtz77
kbd517 wrote:It should, as you can plug any regular usb cable into it, regardless of the plug on the other end.

That's not necessarily the case. I have the FR500 which is great for charging my LG ENV3 dumbphone but it won't charge a Galaxy.

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple
chrisbair wrote:Has some mixed reviews: http://www.amazon.com/FR360B-Solarlink-Self-Powered-Digital-Flashlight/product-reviews/B001QTXKCY

I really want to like this unit and while we already have a different model in our house I would like to buy a couple of these for our kids - especially at this price.

Acknowledging Amazon's reviews are really variable in quality, when 1-star reviews rise above 20% of the total review count I get real cynical. I this case 31% of the reviews are 1-star.

oovwee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oovwee

Bought these last year as gifts for all my friends here in tornado alley without a radio. My dad gave me my own a few months later. No, not the sturdiest, but great for home use. For camping or other big usage, find something sturdier

hjoil

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hjoil

I have one of these (received as a gift) and it proved very handy during hurricane Sandy when the power was out for a week. The solar power panel worked well—I didn't have to change the batteries with a week's worth of use. I can't get it to charge phones though although it says it can through the usb. It didn't come with any instructions, and of course without electricity, I couldn't look it up online.

etherium

quality posts: 23 Private Messages etherium

Looks like I'm stuck with a couple of these. Tried to cancel my order but no go. I might be able to refuse the shipment if I can catch the delivery person (and if Woot emails me a tracking number for my order -- half the time they don't).

I suspect that no attempts to cancel orders on these radios will be honored, simply because Amazon wants to get rid of these things and they know that once you receive the items, you probably won't bother to return them. :P

mikeclark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikeclark

I bought 3, if they do not work as intended I will configure them in a T-Pee formation and light them on #fire

mmormino

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mmormino

I own this radio. I wish I could go back in time and warn my younger self away from the purchase. I bought it at full price, which is even more of an insult.

Yeah, it works. Just make sure you keep a massive pile of batteries nearby in case you ever need to use it. The thing has this great feture where it comes on if there's a weather event in your vicinity. Sounds great until you realize that in order to make it work, you have to change the batteries every 2 days even if you never turn the radio on to play music. Yes, the automatic weather alert service uses up batteries that fast even when it's silent. I wouldn't expect it to somehow work on no battery power at all but really, 2 days is all you get when you let is sit silently on a shelf.

If your idea is to keep this radio on so it can alert your family automatically in an emergency, you'll need to buy an AC adapter and keep it plugged up.

As it stands now, I use a weather app on my cell phone so I know to go put batteries in the weather radio that night. That is a big FAIL in my book.

soonersue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soonersue
mlgt24 wrote:Ouch! This radio is really getting a bad rap - here are my experiences with it ...

I bought a Solarlink FR360 emergency radio by Eton from L.L.Bean a few years ago (it appears to be the same as this, just in a different color and without the Red Cross logo).

My favorite feature on the radio is the "ALERT" setting which I find very helpful living in the Midwest. I keep the NOAA radio tuned to my local station and if/when there is an emergency broadcast, the radio will turn itself on. I keep this radio in my bedroom and can hear it on the other side of the house when it goes off (volume is adjustable). My NOAA station is clear with great reception.

The AM/FM radio is decent (one should not expect symphony sounds from an emergency radio). I haven't had any trouble with the antenna when I have used it. The flashlight is bright and has different settings (a constant white light and a flashing red light). Yes it does take some effort to generate power by the hand-crank - but it is there if you run out of other options (electricity, sun, or batteries). I did order the ac adapter from Eton (not included) and just keep it plugged in all the time (which charges the rechargeable battery).

I am very happy with my radio! When L.L.Bean offered a smaller version, I bought two (one for each car). I would not hesitate to buy this radio again if I needed another.

Thanks for the update on the AC adapter...that was my only concern! I'm in for 3!
SoonerSue

mlgt24

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mlgt24
mmormino wrote:Yeah, it works. Just make sure you keep a massive pile of batteries nearby in case you ever need to use it. The thing has this great feture where it comes on if there's a weather event in your vicinity. Sounds great until you realize that in order to make it work, you have to change the batteries every 2 days even if you never turn the radio on to play music. Yes, the automatic weather alert service uses up batteries that fast even when it's silent. I wouldn't expect it to somehow work on no battery power at all but really, 2 days is all you get when you let is sit silently on a shelf.

If your idea is to keep this radio on so it can alert your family automatically in an emergency, you'll need to buy an AC adapter and keep it plugged up.

Before I bought the AC adapter, I just kept the radio in a sunny window and never had a problem with it dying after 2 days or not alerting us (I have never put extra batteries in it). I only bought the AC adapter because I wanted to move it to another area of the house without a window.

At this price (1/3 of what I paid for mine!) I just bought 2 to give as gifts.

{{soapbox}} This may or may not be the NOAA radio for you, but if you are reading this and do not have a NOAA radio please consider buying one - there are other brands/styles if this one is not the right one for you! It could save your life and the lives of your loved ones in an emergency! I work in Public Health/Emergency Management ... I'll step down now {{/soapbox}}

popoju9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages popoju9

i think an antenna is a very easy fix. even with a coat hanger and some tape.

cbh5150

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbh5150

Kudos to Woot! - was delivered by USPS TODAY - two days after ordering, which was placed on Thanksgiving??? Holy schnikes!!!

moranarevel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moranarevel

So far, I am happy. I have a small lantern style hand crank (or AA) light/radio. I have had it for 10+ years and love it. It is, unfortunately, falling apart from all of the love I have given it over the years. The battery is a non-replaceable and will only hold about 20 minutes of light power now....on low.

This has worked all day playing the radio on very little cranking. It feels sturdy and is smaller than expected. The antenna is tight and stiff and I was careful not to pull too hard to raise it.

I will probably buy an extra battery for it right away...just in case. If it last as long as my other lantern style one, I will eventually need it.

I love the fact that it has so many ways to power it.

Roxann Milby

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj

Anyone else having issues with this? The light and clock work for fine me, but the radio just won't turn on (either on battery or hand-crank power). No static (yes I've messed with the volume), no red LED that is supposed to light up when it's on. Just nothing... it's like the "Power" button just doesn't work.

No luck getting through to Eton so far, but maybe someone here has some insight in case I'm just missing something obvious.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
novastarj wrote:Anyone else having issues with this? The light and clock work for fine me, but the radio just won't turn on (either on battery or hand-crank power). No static (yes I've messed with the volume), no red LED that is supposed to light up when it's on. Just nothing... it's like the "Power" button just doesn't work.

No luck getting through to Eton so far, but maybe someone here has some insight in case I'm just missing something obvious.

Send a nice lil note to support@woot.com - perhaps they can "get through" if you know what I mean. And if not, they'll know what needs to be done next.

I'm just hanging out, really.

zaidgttam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zaidgttam

I bought one of these a few days back and the volume button doesnt work. I cant hear anything. If you press realy hard on the volume button the sound comes out. But the minute you let go, the sound goes away.